Photo

How good, Rasmus Dahlin?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Poll: Rasmus Dahlin

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin this year?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin over the next 15 years?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

Dont take life too seriously, Youll never get out alive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 PM

I really don’t understand why autoimmune disorders would be of anyone’s concerns about on ice performance. So his hair falls out? So his skin has issues? So his etc. has issues? Any self respecting human being with autoimmune issues would punch you right in the nose for doubting their abilities.
I appreciate your insight, man. For me, you’re a go to name for info. I just don’t see this as an issue at all.

The very wise Gordon Downey once said “...piss on all of your background....”

Well that's not quite it.... Rheumatoid arthritis really affects the joints/bones/tendons, back issues, fingers becoming crippled by mid 20s, I've seen some terrible cases of autoimmune diseases. Some are just simple and incovienent, but typically can be exacerbated by playing competitively. That's the main concern... But it appears that it doesn't look bad when seeing negative reports.

#122 Brawndo

Brawndo

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,364 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 PM

Well that's not quite it.... Rheumatoid arthritis really affects the joints/bones/tendons, back issues, fingers becoming crippled by mid 20s, I've seen some terrible cases of autoimmune diseases. Some are just simple and incovienent, but typically can be exacerbated by playing competitively. That's the main concern... But it appears that it doesn't look bad when seeing negative reports.

Wyld is the smarter and better looking Board Doc.

;)

#123 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

Dont take life too seriously, Youll never get out alive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 PM

Wyld is the smarter and better looking Board Doc.

;)

Oh no, you stop.... You got that internal medicine brain, I can't compete.

#124 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,791 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 PM

I turn 26 next year, can we start a medical thread?

#125 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,635 posts

Posted Today, 05:14 AM

It's called "Complaint Thursday".

#126 Neo

Neo

Den Rätta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted Today, 06:13 AM

As an aside, I’m not a fan of “Because Buffalo”.

Life has given me enough experience to recognize that sentiment in my original inquiry.

It has not yet given me the discipline to avoid it at all times.

#127 N S

N S

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted Today, 06:59 AM

<_<

It's called "Complaint Thursday".

That, or the randomer thread on a Tuesday, or any day other than Thursday.

#128 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts

Posted Today, 07:59 AM

You are too young for aches and pains

#129 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted Today, 07:59 AM

Family history of Rheumatoid Arthritis, an autoimmune inflammatory disease, Mom, Sister and Brother all have it. There are blood teststhat can be performed that monitor inflammatory markers. Per reports out of Sweden his are negative.

I did not look at his medical records or do his physical at the combine, so there is no HIPPA Violation ;)

Dangit man... I spent years crafting medical center security policies.... it's HIPAA.. HIPAA.. two As!!!!!  :)

Edited by LTS, Today, 07:59 AM.

#130 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts

Posted Today, 08:05 AM

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Was meant to establish ways for the Health Industry to establish a network to share patient information while provide standards to protect patient privacy. Network still a work in progress and information is shared better, but no universal system has been established.

#131 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted Today, 08:10 AM

Also:  Dahlin's dad, who played pro hockey in Sweden, doesn't have the arthritic disorder.  So maybe Rasmus doesn't either.

#132 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

Wellllll how do you do?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted Today, 08:58 AM

AudMD. I like the idea :P

#133 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 31,051 posts

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

He will win the Calder but not score 50 points.

He will be the best defenseman since Potvin.

#134 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted Today, 09:05 AM

What will we do when people are wishing to have a defender like Dahlin? I really don't think there will be a comparable guy in the league. 

#135 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted Today, 09:08 AM

What will we do when people are wishing to have a defender like Dahlin? I really don't think there will be a comparable guy in the league. 

Rub it in their faces

#136 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted Today, 09:12 AM

Also:  Dahlin's dad, who played pro hockey in Sweden, doesn't have the arthritic disorder.  So maybe Rasmus doesn't either.

Exactly. He's seen tons of doctors at this point so they would know. 

Rub it in their faces

He was 16 then... 

#137 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted Today, 09:16 AM

He was 16 then...

“It feels exciting when so many good players talk about me,” [Dahlin] said. “It’s amazing. I’m feeling like I want to be better and better and better because I’m on a good path, and why stop? You know what I mean? I can’t explain it in English but, like, when I hear that, I get a boost inside me and just go out and train and work hard.”

This parts for you pi

Dahlin also contradicts the stereotype of Europe-based defensemen needing time to adjust to the North American-sized ice surface, which forces them to make much quicker decisions as forecheckers harass them in the corners. The last 18-year-old rearguard to jump from playing in a Euro league directly to the NHL in his draft year was Aki Berg 23 years ago, unless you count Oliver Kylington getting one game in 2015-16. Luca Sbisa, Rostislav Klesla, Nikita Zadorov and Mikhail Sergachev fast-tracked to the NHL at 18 but played their draft years in major junior. Hedman went right to the NHL but was 19. As Ronnberg explained, Dahlin is set to buck the trend of learning curves for Euro-league imports because he does his best work in tight spaces. He excels in the more claustrophobic drills at practice and in any games Frolunda plays on smaller ice surfaces because he makes smart decisions so much faster than the average player.

So what, then, is a fair expectation for Dahlin in 2018-19? The Calder Trophy? The greatest rookie year by a defenseman this millennium? It’s tough to marry hype with realistic expectations. Given the overwhelming praise for Dahlin’s game, 40 points doesn’t sound like asking too much, does it? And yet, amazingly, only two rookie defensemen in NHL history have topped 40 points after starting a season 18 years old: Hall of Famers Phil Housley (66) and Bobby Orr (41). Ekblad’s epic freshman campaign in 2013-14 yielded 39 points. Only five teenaged defensemen have won the Calder Trophy – Orr, Ekblad, Ray Bourque, Berard and Tyler Myers, and only Orr and Ekblad did it in their age-18 seasons. So expecting or demanding the Calder out of Dahlin is asking him to be, well, legendary in Year 1. Then again, every bit of analysis from those scouting and coaching him thus far says he will be just that.

Whatever Buffalo asks of Dahlin, none of the conjecture seems to faze him. He instead uses it as kindling. He says he can’t wait for the opportunity to go up against the best players in the world.
Are his nerves really that steely? If McDavid zooms into his zone, will Dahlin really think, time to take him out, and not, Oh, s--t?

“I would think both things,” said Dahlin with a hearty laugh. “ ‘Oh s--t, he’s coming,’ and then I would think, ‘I have to get him.’ ”

http://www.thehockey...r-rasmus-dahlin

Edited by WildCard, Today, 09:16 AM.

#138 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,620 posts

Posted Today, 11:43 AM

I just can't get over how much he doesn't look at the puck when it's on his stick.

#139 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,398 posts

Posted Today, 03:06 PM

I just can't get over how much he doesn't look at the puck when it's on his stick.

It’s pretty incredible. I always feel like such a doufus after stepping out onto the ice after seeing stuff like that. If I played the rec-league equivalent of Scott Stevens, I’d surely be annihilated.