Photo

How good, Rasmus Dahlin?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Poll: Rasmus Dahlin

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin this year?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin over the next 15 years?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dudacek

dudacek

God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

The board has certainly done a good job at reining in the Rasmus Dahlin hype.

The point of this thread is to get your thoughts on record so we can get a sense of people's expectations for this season and for his career.

And so Liger or PA can resurrect it in five years and say "I told you so."

What say you?

Edited by dudacek, 12 June 2018 - 07:57 PM.

#2 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,677 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

Best Sabres defenseman of all time.

#3 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

^

#4 Ogre

Ogre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

I rarely vote in SS. This one was compelling. After all this ###### hockey, he’d better have more in the tank(from the tank) than Campbell-esque. GD it! Jez sayin.

#5 dudacek

dudacek

God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:12 PM

I voted relatively conservatively for my expectations.

I will be surprised if Dahlin doesn't have a career at least as good as Brian Leetch.

It's that Peter Forsberg competitiveness that hooks me.

Edited by dudacek, 12 June 2018 - 08:14 PM.

#6 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,324 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

Best Sabres defenseman of all time.

Considering the competition for that title is Schoenfeld, Ramsey, Zhitnik, & 3 months of Tallinder prior to breaking his arm, he'd friggin' BETTER be that or he'll be the biggest bust since Jiri Dudacek.

(And yes, those 3-ish players were better Sabres than the 2 Sabres D-men that are in the HoF. :P )

#7 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:21 PM

40 pts and consensus best D of his generation.

Go big or go home.

#8 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 25,524 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

Go big or go home.

Ditto.

#9 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

Go big or go home.

Calder, 50pt season, consensus best defender ever

#10 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 25,524 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

Go big or go home.

Ditto.

Calder, 50pt season, consensus best defender ever

I think WildCard has bigger feet than Freeman and myself. Maybe bigger hands, too.

#11 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

I agree with the Wildcard

#12 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

These kids today.

But everyone should read the link that Duda posted in the other thread. Even though it was probably written by Liger, it will still get you psyched for Dahlin.

#13 3putt

3putt

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

I voted relatively conservatively for my expectations.
I will be surprised if Dahlin doesn't have a career at least as good as Brian Leetch.
It's that Peter Forsberg competitiveness that hooks me.

Brian Leetch is my comparable as well. He just looks like him the way he skates and takes angles. I would be happy with another Brian Leetch but Inthink this kid is expecting more of himself and isn’t distracted by much in his efforts to be the best he can be. I do expect growing pains next year and think the “looks poised option” is the most likely.

#14 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,398 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

It’s so hard to predict next season because so much depends on how good the team is.

Long term, provided Botterill sorts things out, I fully expect a talent of Dahlin’s caliber to be a perennial all-star and amoung the top 6 defencemen in the league consistently. I can hope for more, but I can’t expect it. Would not bet on him not becoming a top-level D in the league so could not pick an option lower than the second one.

#15 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:41 PM

Best ever, ever.

#16 French Collection

French Collection

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:26 AM

Brian Leetch is my comparable as well. He just looks like him the way he skates and takes angles. I would be happy with another Brian Leetch but Inthink this kid is expecting more of himself and isn’t distracted by much in his efforts to be the best he can be. I do expect growing pains next year and think the “looks poised option” is the most likely.

I hope he can generate offense like Leetch but has a much better defensive game.
I know Leetch is a HOFer but I always thought he was poor in his own end.

#17 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

Dont take life too seriously, Youll never get out alive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

Does it matter.... Jack won't like him and pout until we trade him for a conditional 3rd and the rights to Babcock ;)

I expect him to be good for the next 2 season, not godlike, not amazing, but good, then in year 3 when the team doesn't suck so much, we see the Rasmus that we're hoping for

#18 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Shut the blank up, you selfish blank!

• Members
  • 28,911 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

Can anything other than a moribund franchise produce this sort of reaction? Would Hawk fans be talking like this? There's a whiff of desperation.

dudes, I object to being placed in the "I told you so" category. (Unless the "I told you so" would be "I told you not to count your chickens." I definitely won't be in the "I told you he'd suck" camp. I haven't said that, although I've definitely poked some people who've started counting the Norrises up.)

I guess I'm just agnostic on the guy. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping you're all right. I think a couple of things are driving this. I've noticed in the younger crowd that everything these days is "amazing." I have to try this recipe or that because it's "amazing." Superlatives have lost their meaning. There are too many "next big things."

Beyond that, there's the Internet, which allows hype to proliferate. Who benefits from this hype? Swedish hockey, the NHL, the Sabres, and of course Rasmus and his agent to some extent.

So, yeah, I'm an old guy shaking his fist at kids and their gizmos.

If this was 1987 and the Hockey News said it was so, I'd be very excited.

#19 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

He's got the offensive potential of Karlsson but the defensive potential of Lidstrom. If he reaches even 90% of his potential, he will be considered one of the best defenders ever. He's a hair under 6'3" and at 185lbs that means you're gonna see him jump to 205 or so when he's at his prime weight. There aren't going to be a many forwards who can out-muscle him and probably none who will outwork him. He doesn't make many mistakes twice. There will be growing pains in year 1 but he could also surprise us all. 

Edited by Skurk Liger, 13 June 2018 - 08:10 AM.

#20 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 25,524 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

Can anything other than a moribund franchise produce this sort of reaction? Would Hawk fans be talking like this? There's a whiff of desperation.

dudes, I object to being placed in the "I told you so" category. (Unless the "I told you so" would be "I told you not to count your chickens." I definitely won't be in the "I told you he'd suck" camp. I haven't said that, although I've definitely poked some people who've started counting the Norrises up.)

I guess I'm just agnostic on the guy. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping you're all right. I think a couple of things are driving this. I've noticed in the younger crowd that everything these days is "amazing." I have to try this recipe or that because it's "amazing." Superlatives have lost their meaning. There are too many "next big things."

Beyond that, there's the Internet, which allows hype to proliferate. Who benefits from this hype? Swedish hockey, the NHL, the Sabres, and of course Rasmus and his agent to some extent.

Unsurprisingly, you ignore the merits of today's information. Scouting is infinitely better than it was back in the 80s and 90s. The days of drafting Daigle #1 are gone.

#21 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,879 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:17 AM

Considering the competition for that title is Schoenfeld, Ramsey, Zhitnik, & 3 months of Tallinder prior to breaking his arm, he'd friggin' BETTER be that or he'll be the biggest bust since Jiri Dudacek.

(And yes, those 3-ish players were better Sabres than the 2 Sabres D-men that are in the HoF. :P )

Funny and sadly, true! 

#22 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

I'm admittedly not certain who will be up for consideration for the Calder next year.  I mean, the Sabres should have two players at a minimum up for it right?  So their potential is tied to the Sabres turn around.

But, I think he'll be a very good defenseman next year.  I'm assuming he will get burned a few times as well.

Over time I think he will be considered one of the best D for the Sabres.  I am hoping he's an All-star but that event is so finicky that anything is possible.

I'm not going nuts over the guy until he starts showing it.  It's the best possible outcome for the Sabres, a team that needs defense, so in that regard as a fan we could ask for nothing more.  Let's hope it holds up.

#23 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,879 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

That's where I am. This time last year that's how I was on Middlesadt, (sic) but then I saw him play and the more I saw the more impressed I was. At this point I just don't have any real opinion because I am 100% ignorant of his play. 

#24 jsb

jsb

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

I don't need him to be the GOAT or anything like that, I just want him to be really really good. My personal take for next year is that he'll make the usual rookie mistakes but he'll also wow you once in awhile with his play. I remember seeing Jack in Dallas his rookie year and him making a play (didn't score) but even the Stars fans were like WTF kinda move was that WOW. It was right in front of me and the Doohickie so it was especially sweet since we had our butts handed to us in that game. That's what I expect from the kid next year.

Edited by jsb, 13 June 2018 - 08:22 AM.

#25 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

Unsurprisingly, you ignore the merits of today's information. Scouting is infinitely better than it was back in the 80s and 90s. The days of drafting Daigle #1 are gone.

Well, Yakupov went #1 not long ago, as did Anthony Bennett in the NBA.

#26 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Well, Yakupov went #1 not long ago, as did Anthony Bennett in the NBA.

Yakupov may be the only hockey #1 overall bust in the last what? 20 years?

#27 jsb

jsb

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

I think WildCard has bigger feet than Freeman and myself. Maybe bigger hands, too.

Whoa a pretty big statement because if that's true he has a bigger you know what than you guys too.

Than again you doctors and lawyers don't really need one of those to get the girls you got the moohla!!!!

Edited by jsb, 13 June 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#28 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Limping home...again.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

I concur with most of these statements.  I've been watching NHL hockey for way too long to get overly excited about the "Next Big Thing".  Whether that thing is a player, GM or franchise (except for Vegas, maybe), reality never quite seems to meet expectations.  That being said, I hope I'm wrong and this kid turns out to be the Swedish Bobby Orr (minus the bad knees). If he becomes a steady presence on the blue line and can throw in a few goals and assists, I'd be alright with that too. 

Recent past experience with this Sabres team has shown that you should never ignore the effect that team chemistry, coaching, etc. have on a new player.  This could be a thread on its own, but just where did this team's "culture of losing" come from?  Players?  Coaches?  Front Office?  As Oddball from "Kelly's Heroes" would say, "Stop hittin' me with those negative waves, man!  Woof, woof!"

#29 dudacek

dudacek

God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

I’d say the Hawks fans were talking exactly like this in 2007 as they were preparing to add Kane and Toews. Sabres fans were doing the same in 2015 as they got ready for Eichel and O’Reilly.

You and Liger were the first two to pop into my mind in terms of the most likely to be, respectively, pumping the brakes hard and effusive in their praise. Your replies say I wasn’t wrong there.

Edited by dudacek, 13 June 2018 - 08:48 AM.

#30 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,677 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

I'm more excited about Dahlin than I was about Eichel. 

#31 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

I'm more excited about Dahlin than I was about Eichel. 

Imagine if there was a better Dahlin...wait, there's never been a better version of Dahlin

Jesus pi, who hurt you? 

Edited by WildCard, 13 June 2018 - 09:10 AM.

#32 Brawndo

Brawndo

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,364 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

Lundqvist - To play that good game-after-game at his age, I've never seen that before. Dahlin has got some extra talent for sure. #Sabres

Joel Lundqvist on WGR this AM

#33 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

I'm basically excited about Dahlin because I'm choosing to be. I never got swept up in the Mittelstadt stuff just because I was so dead to the world about the Sabres last year. So I'm forcing myself to go all in on Dahlin.

#34 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

It's worth noting that Tampa fans were quite down on Hesman for at least his first 4 seasons, if not 5, before he truly broke out.

#35 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

I have higher expectations for Mittlestadt than Dahlin. Euro defenders have a higher learning curve due to the dimensions of the ice and style of game played over there. It's extremely rare that a Euro comes over immediately and doesn't struggle.

The North American game is much more physical and requires you to process information much quicker. It us especially tough on young defensemen.

I think he's a fine prospect but a weak draft and the recent trend toward highly skilled defenseman has inflated his value IMO.

#36 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

This is not a weak draft. It is a decidedly average draft. 

I’d say the Hawks fans were talking exactly like this in 2007 as they were preparing to add Kane and Toews. Sabres fans were doing the same in 2015 as they got ready for Eichel and O’Reilly.

You and Liger were the first two to pop into my mind in terms of the most likely to be, respectively, pumping the brakes hard and effusive in their praise. Your replies say I wasn’t wrong there.

I gave cautioned thoughts on Dahlin but no one wanted hear them so why not just say he's gonna be awesome. 

#37 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

I am just having fun with both Casey and Rasi D because what else is there when it comes to the Sabres. I have limited expectations this year and still think they are couple of top end players especially on offense and development away. Hopefully 2 1sts in the 2019 draft get Sabres close talent wise as some of the young guys in AHL step up. Again being all in on Dahleen and Casey is our Lord and Savior is fun even if a few years away till fruition.

Edited by North Buffalo, 13 June 2018 - 10:42 AM.

#38 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:31 AM

I have higher expectations for Mittlestadt than Dahlin. Euro defenders have a higher learning curve due to the dimensions of the ice and style of game played over there. It's extremely rare that a Euro comes over immediately and doesn't struggle.

The North American game is much more physical and requires you to process information much quicker. It us especially tough on young defensemen.

I think he's a fine prospect but a weak draft and the recent trend toward highly skilled defenseman has inflated his value IMO.

This is absolutely bananas. Casey has nowhere near the physical stature Dahlin has, Casey did not spend the last season playing in a league against grown men, Casey will likely only get 3rd line minutes, and Casey plays in a league that is, much more contradictory to what you're saying, much harder to adapt to than the SHL is to over here. You act like Dahlin has never played on a smaller ice. You also act like Dahlin isn't quick, physical, or smart in a very rare way.

If you honestly think Casey Mittelstadt will have an easier job, coming from a shorter and less physical NCAA season, than Dahlin will coming from a longer, more physical season, because the ice is 10ft smaller, you're out of your mind. 

#39 GASabresIUFAN

GASabresIUFAN

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

This is absolutely bananas. Casey has nowhere near the physical stature Dahlin has, Casey did not spend the last season playing in a league against grown men, Casey will likely only get 3rd line minutes, and Casey plays in a league that is, much more contradictory to what you're saying, much harder to adapt to than the SHL is to over here. You act like Dahlin has never played on a smaller ice. You also act like Dahlin isn't quick, physical, or smart in a very rare way.

If you honestly think Casey Mittelstadt will have an easier job, coming from a shorter and less physical NCAA season, than Dahlin will coming from a longer, more physical season, because the ice is 10ft smaller, you're out of your mind.

One note on Dahlin. He finished 3rd in D scoring on his SHL team last year. So while he is immensely talented, he’ll be playing in a new league with new teammates in a new country in a faster league, with more physical players, where things happen quicker on a smaller ice surface. Hedman had 21 pts his last year in the SHL and then 20, 26 and 23 pts in his first 3 NHL seasons. He fully blossomed in the strike year and has dominated ever since. Dahlin had 20 pts for his SHL team last year.

#40 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

One note on Dahlin. He finished 3rd in D scoring on his SHL team last year. So while he is immensely talented, he’ll be playing in a new league with new teammates in a new country in a faster league, with more physical players, where things happen quicker on a smaller ice surface. Hedman had 21 pts his last year in the SHL and then 20, 26 and 23 pts in his first 3 NHL seasons. He fully blossomed in the strike year and has dominated ever since. Dahlin had 20 pts for his SHL team last year.

Fair enough. Dahlin is also much better than Hedman was however. I just think it's insane to have higher expectations for Casey than Dahlin for this season