44 replies to this topic

#41 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:20 PM

Nick Boynton has reached out publicly and said he's been contemplating suicide. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Geez.

May God visit him with peace.

#42 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

Geez.

May God visit him with peace.

They say when a celebrity commits suicide the rate of suicides go up 10%. Something that Boynton has done that is probably the hardest thing to do is reach out. Hopefully his family and close friends/ex team mates step up and show support which I'm sure they'll do. 

#43 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

Have you watched the video in Players Tribune from Carcillo? A bit off the topic but relevant.

#44 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

Have you watched the video in Players Tribune from Carcillo? A bit off the topic but relevant.

Yeah I've seen that. Puts a human face to the problems with concussions and head trauma. I don't know a lot about Nick Boynton or if he's had troubles with concussions but that could be the case here. He played hockey for a long time.

#45 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:04 AM

For a lot of these athletes I think there is a lot of regret over putting themselves through the grind.  In some cases, it's where they come from and the prospective lives they would have had without the sport success that drove them to stick with it.  The inability to accept that they would have been farmers, construction workers, etc.  In the case of some of the football athletes you are looking at falling into the traps of gangs, drugs, and other socio-economic plights.  

Sports gives some a way out of that but it comes at a great cost that they only realize after the fact.  Daily pain, shortened life spans, or as we see with those who suffered head trauma, even worse demons.

The grass is only as green as the money that sits on top of it. 

It's why I have massive respect for the NFL players who have resigned after suffering one or two concussions and just don't want to risk it.  Time will tell if it's too late for them as well.  Hockey can be violent but football is violent.

For all those who suffer, they need to be there in support of each other.  The Players' Unions need to take care of their constituents.  It should be one of its top priorities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off-topic