124 replies to this topic

#121 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,051 posts

Posted Today, 07:42 AM

What do you see in that job description that is inconsistent with the strategy I inferred — that TBN wants to go young and cheap (and perhaps even fungible) with its beat reporters? I read the job description as consistent with that approach.

In any case, and as was noted upthread, a 2017 graduate Tweeted that he’d taken a beat Sabres gig with TBN, if only on a probationary basis.

As for Moritz, I suspect that TBN will not give more seasoned (more expensive) writers any preferred gigs; assuming Sabres beat coverage is preferred. More likely, they’d look to limit her opportunities, frustrate her ambitions, and hope that she quits on her own (so they can hire a kid with a shelf like of 2-5 years to replace her).

Or maybe she just didn’t want the gig — maybe the travel is an obstacle for her.

Preferred candidate has NHL coverage experience is what made me think they want someone who's not right out of school.

Moritz has travelled to cover the team before; she is single with no children as far as I know.  Her mom is healthy.  I don't see obstacles there but I also don't know her life.

You may be right on the TBN strategy with respect to her, though.

Edited by Eleven, Today, 07:44 AM.

#122 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted Today, 07:46 AM

Preferred candidate has NHL coverage experience is what made me think they want someone who's not right out of school.

Moritz has travelled to cover the team before; she is single with no children as far as I know. Her mom is healthy. I don't see obstacles there but I also don't know her life.

You may be right on the TBN strategy with respect to her, though.

NHL coverage experience with the college newspaper, maybe.

TBN seems to be doing two things of late: Aligning itself with the moneyed classes of WNY and throwing expenses overboard as fast as it possibly can.

#123 dudacek

dudacek

God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted Today, 08:56 AM

Cheaping out on content for a paid product is not a recipe for longevity in media.

#124 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts

Posted Today, 08:53 PM

Does print media not use an editor anymore ? Spell check is not always your friend and some of the articles I've come across are atrocious. Read one today where they meant to say tenuous but said tennis. This drives me crazy that it gets out without somebody seeing it. I've actually seen these mistakes in the headlines as well. There's no excuse imo.

#125 dudacek

dudacek

God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted Today, 08:57 PM

Does print media not use an editor anymore ? Spell check is not always your friend and some of the articles I've come across are atrocious. Read one today where they meant to say tenuous but said tennis. This drives me crazy that it gets out without somebody seeing it. I've actually seen these mistakes in the headlines as well. There's no excuse imo.

First guys they lay off are the ones on the copy desk.
Their excuse is you refuse to pay his salary.