384 replies to this topic

#361 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team as happy for one player — the captain to boot — as the Capitals were for Ovechkin.

Got goosebumps seeing him lift the cup and how happy he is.

#362 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

And ###### Russia.

The cup is going to Putin's house.

I haven't been as happy with a Cup outcome since the 1997 finals when we were living in Detroit. I've always like Ovi as a player. Hard to play against because he's rough and tumble, but also very talented. He's what a hockey player should be. I'm glad he got off the list of "Best Players to Not Win the Cup."

Have to say this season worked out great. Vegas was a good story but Ovi deserved this most of all.

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 08 June 2018 - 06:09 AM.

#363 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,051 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

I bet this team goes to White House

Smith-Pelly already has implied that he won't.

#364 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:06 AM

This is pretty awesome:  https://screengrabbe...ge-i-1826658208

#365 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

###### Pelly just played his best hockey ever. This guy was pretty much on his way out of the league.

What’s not to like about Ovi the guy is a great player. This year he put it all together.

Whats that say about this Sabres roster when a guy like Smith-Pelly looks better than 80% of the team. He had a good finals and showed a never say die attitude we could only wish to have. I guess what I meant to say is we need players with his will to win.

#366 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Limping home...again.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

Yeah, yeah - Ovie won his Cup.  Now he can go sit down somewhere and shut up.  I never liked him or his style of play. And for whatever reason, I've always thought that the Caps were one of the most boring franchises in NHL history, and that includes this season. Vegas winning the Cup would've been a good story, but I only cheered for them because they weren't Washington. The season is (finally!) over - let's get to the draft and the awards and then concentrate on enjoying the summer. B-)

#367 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

This is pretty awesome:  https://screengrabbe...ge-i-1826658208

Soon enough the Sabres will be in a season ending montage.  Soon enough....   :unsure:

#368 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

That was classic... 

Man, you can see how much this means to Ovechkin

The whole series you could see it too.  Him winning the Conn Smythe has as much to do with him laying his body on the line to block shots as it does his scoring.  He provided the foundation for his team to win.  Every time I saw him he was like a kid, pure emotion, his expressions constantly mirroring what was happening on the ice.

I'm glad they won.  I'm happy for Ovechkin.

I'm glad we can now get onto the business that is the Buffalo Sabres 2018-2019 season.

#369 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Got goosebumps seeing him lift the cup and how happy he is.

Making Russia great again :(
PS I liked Ovie till he became an announce Totalitarian stooge.

#370 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,879 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

Making Russia great again :(
PS I liked Ovie till he became an announce Totalitarian stooge.

In his defense, he probably had no choice but to support Putin. Doesn't want to take a fall from five stories of a Moscow apartment building 

#371 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

In his defense, he probably had no choice but to support Putin. Doesn't want to take a fall from five stories of a Moscow apartment building

Yeh probably true and better Caps than Vegas.. outta principle didnt want an expansion team winning it all.

#372 rekim

rekim

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Back in february there was a thread of who would win the cup.  I figured it would really be a tossup between nashville and the caps. 

i picked the caps to win it back based off of how badly they beat the sabres and the wild. (i follow the wild too).I felt this way because the wild was a good team, and they could go head to head with nashville and it was honestly pretty evenly matched, but they were beaten easily by washington on the multiple times they played each other. Washington looked head and shoulders better. 

With that being said, between washington and vegas, i wanted vegas to win just for the sake of an expansion team winning in their first season. 

I just wish i put money on the caps in february when i picked them. i would be a happy fellow today

Edited by rekim, 08 June 2018 - 10:32 AM.

#373 Formerly Allan in MD

Formerly Allan in MD

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Whats that say about this Sabres roster when a guy like Smith-Pelly looks better than 80% of the team. He had a good finals and showed a never say die attitude we could only wish to have. I guess what I meant to say is we need players with his will to win.

True.  Though he's not the most talented player around, what he does better than many is "finish."  He truly showed that proclivity in the playoffs. 

Yeah, yeah - Ovie won his Cup.  Now he can go sit down somewhere and shut up.  I never liked him or his style of play. And for whatever reason, I've always thought that the Caps were one of the most boring franchises in NHL history, and that includes this season. Vegas winning the Cup would've been a good story, but I only cheered for them because they weren't Washington. The season is (finally!) over - let's get to the draft and the awards and then concentrate on enjoying the summer. B-)

If the Sabres win the Cup and are boring, it'll work for me and probably many others.

#374 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

True.  Though he's not the most talented player around, what he does better than many is "finish."  He truly showed that proclivity in the playoffs. 

This is called recency bias.  Smith-Pelly is not good and we should not expect him to be so on the Sabres. He had a good couple playoffs games and they came in the final. That's great in all but we can't even make the playoffs let alone the finals and a guy with a career sh% like Pelly, doesn't move the needle on a team that is desperate for depth scoring like the Sabres. 

#375 Trettioåtta

Trettioåtta

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

This is a good montage https://streamable.com/y9g4g

It would be nice if the Sabres produced stuff like it

#376 jsb

jsb

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

I'm not only glad for Ovie finally getting his cup but that TJ Oshie interview after the game was pretty awesome too. Glad he won one too.

#377 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

There’s a graphic out there on Twitter itemizing what round each player on the Caps was selected in. I wanna say all but 5 or 6 are round 1 picks. #culture

#378 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,635 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

There’s a graphic out there on Twitter itemizing what round each player on the Caps was selected in. I wanna say all but 5 or 6 are round 1 picks. #culture

I wonder if the Caps sent out a pamphlet to their season ticket holders explaining that they need more 1st round picks and announced a period of "suffering"?

#379 BagBoy

BagBoy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

I bet this team goes to White House

No team should ever go to the White house, from any sport, during any presidency, past, present or future.  No matter who is president, he/she has better things to be doing than fawning over, and mispronouncing the names of inconsequential, sweaty jocks.  Presidents should be honoring philanthropists, Nobel prize winners, and other people who are making a real difference in society, not athletes.

#380 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Shut the blank up, you selfish blank!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,911 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:41 PM

Since when does the arrival of the Stanley Cup require fireworks shooting off around it? That lily needs no gilding. I was dismayed.

I think the Cup skate is better than in the past in that they've severely limited the folks milling around and clogging things up. You can see the players. The photographers are even required to wear black. The short skate isn't good.

As good as this season was, with the Vegas story and Ovi winning and scoring up, in the end, the NHL was the NHL. They let Ovechkin slash a Knight on a breakaway, a penalty all season long. Then, off a faceoff in the Washington zone very late, one of the Caps in open ice basically slew footed a Knight and got away with it. Surely Ovechkin and his teammate knew no penalty would be forthcoming. I'll never understand that mentality. And those weren't dinosaurs making the calls, but fairly young refs.

#381 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

Wellllll how do you do?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

Since when does the arrival of the Stanley Cup require fireworks shooting off around it? That lily needs no gilding. I was dismayed.

At first I felt this way... but then I thought maybe Bettman’s jacket would catch fire, so I got over it

#382 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,398 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team as happy for one player — the captain to boot — as the Capitals were for Ovechkin.

The pure emotion across the board, to a man was actually incredible. It was above an beyond the normal. Tears of happiness, and relief, as well, after such a long journey.

I think the Cup skate is better than in the past in that they've severely limited the folks milling around and clogging things up. You can see the players. The photographers are even required to wear black. The short skate isn't good.

As good as this season was, with the Vegas story and Ovi winning and scoring up, in the end, the NHL was the NHL. They let Ovechkin slash a Knight on a breakaway, a penalty all season long. Then, off a faceoff in the Washington zone very late, one of the Caps in open ice basically slew footed a Knight and got away with it. Surely Ovechkin and his teammate knew no penalty would be forthcoming. I'll never understand that mentality. And those weren't dinosaurs making the calls, but fairly young refs.

A brutal no call, it must be said.

#383 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

At first I felt this way... but then I thought maybe Bettman’s jacket would catch fire, so I got over it

Bettman’s reaction like he was being shot at was priceless.

#384 SabresBillsFan

SabresBillsFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:28 AM

Smith-Pelly already has implied that he won't.

Who gives two shits about what he thinks about Trump. I’m sure he thought Obuma was the best. Sadly mistaken he is.

No team should ever go to the White house, from any sport, during any presidency, past, present or future. No matter who is president, he/she has better things to be doing than fawning over, and mispronouncing the names of inconsequential, sweaty jocks. Presidents should be honoring philanthropists, Nobel prize winners, and other people who are making a real difference in society, not athletes.

Only problem is so many people look up to athletes and movie stars.

#385 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:34 AM

Who gives two shits about what he thinks about Trump. I’m sure he thought Obuma was the best. Sadly mistaken he is.

This definitely would have gotten me banned. But then again I would have criticized the "infallible" current president and that's why the ban hammer would fall.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Washington, Las Vegas, Vegas, Knights, Capitals