Or is it Larrson?

#42 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Shut the blank up, you selfish blank!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,911 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

That's OK, some are setting it rather high. Are Swedes known for bombast and hype?

Newly appointed national team coach, and former bench boss of Sweden's U20 team, Rikard Grönborg referred to Asplund as the new Henrik Zetterberg, saying that they have the same mind for the game.

:rolleyes:

#43 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,572 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

I would say Asplund's ceiling is prime Jochen Hecht, and his most-likely outcome is probably faster, slightly better Larsson, a fan-favorite, and his floor is of course out of the league. 

#44 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

I would say Asplund's ceiling is prime Jochen Hecht, and his most-likely outcome is probably faster, slightly better Larsson, a fan-favorite, and his floor is of course out of the league.

If he's only a slightly better Larsson I see no way he's a fan favorite lol.

I think the ceiling and floor are accurate. I'm hoping his most probable outcome is a legitimate third line player on a very good team. I do realize this skews much more to the ceiling in this scenario but ###### it's almost June and I wanna dream!!

#45 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,572 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

If he's only a slightly better Larsson I see no way he's a fan favorite lol.

I think the ceiling and floor are accurate. I'm hoping his most probable outcome is a legitimate third line player on a very good team. I do realize this skews much more to the ceiling in this scenario but ###### it's almost June and I wanna dream!!

Well if you put wheels on Larsson, he's suddenly a legitimately good 4C. And then you add to his skill a bit, and he's a 4th line fixture a la prime Gaustad, who was a fan favorite. 

We would love Larsson's attitude and effort if he was just a better player overall, but he's one of many who suck so we tire of him quickly. IMO.

#46 Ho-Chi-Sock

Ho-Chi-Sock

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

I say Apslund will prove to be generational.

#47 gilbert11

gilbert11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

I'd say about 20 Rasmi. Some on the forwards, some on the defense.

So, do 3 Rasmi beat a pair of Subbans?

#48 PerreaultForever

PerreaultForever

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

I will say Botterill seems very methodical. 

I still think this was a tank year but they kept it secret and were clever about hiding it. Housley was hired to be the right coach for Dahlin. Now the signings, the new players, even a first rounder coming for Kane, if we do not start to see an upwards trajectory for this team now, we never will. 

I truly believe this team will look vastly different from what we ended the season with. It'll be young and fast. What we are really missing is a goalie, unless Ullmark is ready but I have my reservations on that. Fingers crossed.

#49 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

I still think this was a tank year but they kept it secret and were clever about hiding it. Housley was hired to be the right coach for Dahlin. Now the signings, the new players, even a first rounder coming for Kane, if we do not start to see an upwards trajectory for this team now, we never will. 

I truly believe this team will look vastly different from what we ended the season with. It'll be young and fast. What we are really missing is a goalie, unless Ullmark is ready but I have my reservations on that. Fingers crossed.

So we hired Housley a year ago because we already knew we were going to get Dahlin? Does the illuminati have our backs or something? And if they do, why don't we already have a dozen championship banners hanging from the rafters?

#50 Doohickie

Doohickie

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

Well if you put wheels on Larsson, he's suddenly a legitimately good 4C. And then you add to his skill a bit, and he's a 4th line fixture a la prime Gaustad, who was a fan favorite. 

We would love Larsson's attitude and effort if he was just a better player overall, but he's one of many who suck so we tire of him quickly. IMO.

I thought Larsson was finding his game during the 2016-17 season prior to the arm injury.  I think that affected him quite a bit this past year.  I like to think with a proper off-season to train and not deal with an injury he could come back in October rejuvenated and ready to go.

#51 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,879 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

I thought Larsson was finding his game during the 2016-17 season prior to the arm injury.  I think that affected him quite a bit this past year.  I like to think with a proper off-season to train and not deal with an injury he could come back in October rejuvenated and ready to go.

Larsson does some things real well. Good along the boards, back checks well, but if he can't score then he is just of not much use. When he started he was bad along the boards but scored some goals. I hope he can get that scoring touch back. 

#52 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 21,813 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Larsson does some things real well. Good along the boards, back checks well, but if he can't score then he is just of not much use. When he started he was bad along the boards but scored some goals. I hope he can get that scoring touch back.

Wasn't he getting 2nd line minutes and playing with top 6 personnel at that time?

#53 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

Can't believe there are Larsson apologists.     The guy is not an NHL player.... "he's good along the wall and back checks well"... yeah, so are several thousand players who aren't in the NHL.   

#54 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,572 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

Can't believe there are Larsson apologists.     The guy is not an NHL player.... "he's good along the wall and back checks well"... yeah, so are several thousand players who aren't in the NHL.   

I don't see apologists. I see takes ranging from "He's bad, but is 2 skills away from being a good 4th liner" to "he was finding his game two years ago".

Nobody's calling him an All Star, and nobody has even called him a decent hockey player.

#55 Doohickie

Doohickie

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,205 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Eh.  He's just bitter because we don't realize his obvious hockey brilliance.  After all, he played college hockey.

#56 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

Eh.  He's just bitter because we don't realize his obvious hockey brilliance.  After all, he played college hockey.

Larsson is objectively ass 

Edited by WildCard, 24 May 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#57 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

Larsson is objectively ass 

LArSSon

#58 DarthEbriate

DarthEbriate

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

I'm a Larry Apologist! I like his leisure suits and that catchy theme song.

For a couple seasons, Larsson was solid with Foligno and Gionta as a dependable 3rd line (definitely our most consistent line). He got under people's skin and tied Eichel for team lead in 2015-16 with 5 GWG. So… graded out as a B for what was expected of him. Since then, he's had a really awful arm injury (I'm not sure he fully recovered from that, he was not the same player last season) and a new system that emphasizes speed. He's definitely on his way out from our roster (Mittelstadt and Asplund will push him out this year... and of course Tavares), but he'll be fine as a 4C somewhere in the league for a few more seasons (depending on the arm). Not every team is overhauling just for speed.

Let's go, Asplund!

More like Larsson

Or is it Larrson?

Lars' son? No. We're stepbrothers.

Edited by DarthEbriate, 25 May 2018 - 10:32 AM.