63 replies to this topic

#41 mjd1001

mjd1001

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

Even though the difference between a 2nd round pick and a mid to late 1st rounder isn't a lot...this makes me feel better about the Sabres going forward.

Getting that extra first round pick from SJ, and winning the lottery, it kinda allows the Sabres a legit 'do-over' of the so-far failed rebuild...without taking another 4-5 years to get it done.

Dahlin (who may not be a star yet next year but hopefully will be a top-10 NHL player in a few years)....2 first rounder next year (with one of them possibly being a top-10 pick) and what you have here so far....things not looking too bad going forward now.

#42 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

There's a big difference though between 20 and 51 though.

#43 PerreaultForever

PerreaultForever

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

First rounder for us, that's all that matters. 

#44 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,524 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

The deal also includes a modified no-trade; Kane can pick 3 teams he's willing to be traded to

That's some pretty great protection for Kane and something the Sharks are almost certainly going to regret before the contract runs out.

#45 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

There's a big difference though between 20 and 51 though.

A 31 pick gap regardless of where they finish.  I'd definitely say that's significant.  But hell, even if it is only a 5 pick gap, you're always going to want the earlier one.

#46 Brawndo

Brawndo

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,364 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

Sharks make it officially official

Out of curiosity would anyone be interested in making a deal with SJ to get 25th Overall this year instead?

#47 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 31,051 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

Out of curiosity would anyone be interested in making a deal with SJ to get 25th Overall this year instead?

Yes.

#48 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

No. Odds are whatever pick we do get from them will be better than that, and we won't have to give anything up for it. Keep the pick, or trade it elsewhere

#49 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 31,051 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

No. Odds are whatever pick we do get from them will be better than that, and we won't have to give anything up for it. Keep the pick, or trade it elsewhere

Trading it elsewhere includes trading it to SJ for this year's 25th though.  I want players now.  Not when I'm 70.

#50 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Trading it elsewhere includes trading it to SJ for this year's 25th though.  I want players now.  Not when I'm 70.

Oh come on.  You didn't look that old :P

#51 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Oh come on.  You didn't look that old :P

Notice how you used the past tense.  He may have aged significantly since whenever then was.

#52 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 25,524 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

Oh come on. You didn't look that old :P

No, but his liver is at least that old.

#53 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

Notice how you used the past tense.  He may have aged significantly since whenever then was.

Last meetup.....2 months ago.  He may have been hitting the sauce lately though.......

#54 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

You'll get more elsewhere than you will from SJ. i.e. use SJ pick to get a player now, not some late first this year. Or keep the pick as it will likely be better than 25 next year

Edited by WildCard, 24 May 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#55 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,572 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

You'll get more elsewhere than you will from SJ. i.e. use SJ pick to get a player now, not some late first this year. Or keep the pick as it will likely be better than 25 next year

*Looks at Pacific Division* I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly the same next year, though I'll give you that it's not likely to get worse.

#56 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

*Looks at Pacific Division* I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly the same next year, though I'll give you that it's not likely to get worse.

The Sharks are only getting older, and Edmonton/Calgary have to be better this year

#57 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

lol, SJ fans calling him a 55-60pt player and a 30 goal scorer... just ignore that contract year bump I suppose. 

#58 Brawndo

Brawndo

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,364 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

What’s the difference in strength between this year’s draft compared to next? That also needs to be considered. This year has a large drop off after the top of the second round. Corey Pronman has only 21 players with first round grades.

#59 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

John Vogl Retweeted John Vogl

As it stands now, the Sabres have seven selections in next month's NHL Draft, including the first overall pick, and eight picks in 2020, including six in the first four rounds.

What’s the difference in strength between this year’s draft compared to next? That also needs to be considered. This year has a large drop off after the top of the second round. Corey Pronman has only 21 players with first round grades.

Next years draft is deeper at forward I know that. Will take some time for us to really get a feel for how good it will be. 

#60 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

So, the Sabres get the Sharks' 1st this year? Nice pick up in a good draft year. GMJB won't trade it. You can get a very good player in the first round regardless if it is 20 or 30. 

Wow, 49m for Kaner? Someone that hasn't ever scored more than 30 goals with his track record? He has only hit 50 points twice... Wow. Teams with short memories. Kaner will like it there though, a short chopper ride to Vegas, no? Three team trade list? Holy, who is his agent?

Having said that, I expect Kaner to do well into about his 2nd year before he starts acting up again. SJ will regret this contract. Chevy signed Scheifele to 6.125m and Kaner gets 7m? Wow.

Edited by Ducky, 24 May 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#61 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,791 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

So, the Sabres get the Sharks' 1st this year? Nice pick up in a good draft year. GMJB won't trade it. You can get a very good player in the first round regardless if it is 20 or 30. 

Wow, 49m for Kaner? Someone that hasn't ever scored more than 30 goals with his track record? Wow. Teams with short memories. Kaner will like it there though, a short chopper ride to Vegas, no? Three team trade list? Holy, who is his agent?

Having said that, I expect Kaner to do well into about his 2nd year before he starts acting up again. SJ will regret this contract. Chevy signed Scheifele to 6.125m and Kaner gets 7m? Wow.

Yeah Scheifele is a freaking steal. Bergeron, Marchand, AND Pasternak all cost less than Kane too

Terrible, terrible contract for SJ to take

#62 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,677 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Pierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun 4m4 minutes ago

More

The deal also includes a modified no-trade; Kane can pick 3 teams he's willing to be traded to

That's some pretty great protection for Kane and something the Sharks are almost certainly going to regret before the contract runs out.

Either San Jose is going to regret it when his body falls apart or Kane is going to regret it when San Jose starts a rebuild in two years.

#63 French Collection

French Collection

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

Yeah Scheifele is a freaking steal. Bergeron, Marchand, AND Pasternak all cost less than Kane too

Terrible, terrible contract for SJ to take

Just wow.

Those other guys took hometown discounts, but...

#64 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

I've never been happier to not have a player on the Sabres and not to have payed that ridiculous contract. Bullet dodged