#2 nucci

nucci

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:17 AM

Two goals in leading the Sharks to victory

but remember we got a lot for him and he's not a Buffalo guy and a locker room cancer....we don't need a strong, fast goal scoring winger

#3 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,140 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

Sweet

#4 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:29 AM

Good news.

#5 Sakman

Sakman

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:17 AM

but remember we got a lot for him and he's not a Buffalo guy and a locker room cancer....we don't need a strong, fast goal scoring winger

Said no one. 

We needed a guy signed beyond this year, or some assets that would be. 

Good for Evander. 

#6 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Brandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

Here's a quote from the Sharks' coach in the post-game presser.   Note the section I bolded - remember when this was going to be "Hockey Heaven" under the Pegulas loving touch......?   Now apparently Buffalo is a known pariah in the league to be avoided.    Wuh happen???  Nothing will ruin a good player quicker than doing a 'stint' in Buffalo.  lol

"(Kane) is a world-class player," San Jose coach Peter DeBoer said. "I think Buffalo was a tough situation for everybody, and when he got the opportunity to get into our room and play with Burns and Pavelski, he was re-energized. That's what you're seeing: A guy who got his passion back and came to the rink excited."

#7 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:34 AM

Worst team in the league: Tough situation, indeed.

“Hockey Heaven” was nothing more than a branding effort that had some backup in terms of money being spent, facilities being developed, and partnerships being formed (USA Hockey, the draft combine).

Worst team in the league. Of course it was a bad situation.

Go, Evander! Go, Sharks!

#8 Fransk Kollektion

Fransk Kollektion

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

If they like him so much, re-sign him so we can get a first rounder.

He should be energized to play in the playoffs. If he gets on a roll he can score a lot of goals.

That locker room would be strong enough to keep him focused, but he will never improve his hockey sense.

#9 nucci

nucci

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

Said no one. 

We needed a guy signed beyond this year, or some assets that would be. 

Good for Evander. 

Many said he's not a Buffalo guy and locker room cancer

#10 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

when did he change his name to Cane? with a "C"...anyways, it just may be it was not him that was the 'cancer" but rather the Sabres' dressing room is full of "cancer" cause they sure did not look any better after getting rid of the supposed cancer (Kane). glad for Evander though

#11 nucci

nucci

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:47 AM

If they like him so much, re-sign him so we can get a first rounder.

He should be energized to play in the playoffs. If he gets on a roll he can score a lot of goals.

That locker room would be strong enough to keep him focused, but he will never improve his hockey sense.

what does that mean? He's a strong, fast winger who scores goals.

#12 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,140 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

Worst team in the league: Tough situation, indeed.

“Hockey Heaven” was nothing more than a branding effort that had some backup in terms of money being spent, facilities being developed, and partnerships being formed (USA Hockey, the draft combine).

Worst team in the league. Of course it was a bad situation.

Go, Evander! Go, Sharks!

And I still just don't think he felt comfortable here in Buffalo. Like...this wasn't his kinda place. Winnipeg was probably worse. 

He's going to be happy in San Jose. And he's going to be a good fit for that team.

At least until guys like Thornton, Pavelski, and Burns leave...

#13 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

We all know he is a great player. It is no surprise at all that players succeed when they leave this dump of an organization.

Edited by CallawaySabres, 13 April 2018 - 07:29 AM.

#14 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

And I still just don't think he felt comfortable here in Buffalo. Like...this wasn't his kinda place. Winnipeg was probably worse. 

Good point.

#15 Marions Piazza

Marions Piazza

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

It is what it is, when you have a losing culture and a team that sucks, players often don't do well.  If the team would've had success and played playoff hockey last couple years, Kane would probably still be here tearing it up for us. 

I dont think it has anything to do with the city in which they play.  Most guys don't even stay in the cities they play in the offseason.  They spend a lot of time on the road as well.  yeah Buffalo and Peg are small market and smaller cities, but why would that have any effect on Kane's play?  He's surrounded by some really good talent and a winning team that is always in the playoffs, of course he is playing well now.

#16 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

there's that word

It is what it is, when you have a losing culture and a team that sucks, players often don't do well.  If the team would've had success and played playoff hockey last couple years, Kane would probably still be here tearing it up for us. 

I dont think it has anything to do with the city in which they play.  Most guys don't even stay in the cities they play in the offseason.  They spend a lot of time on the road as well.  yeah Buffalo and Peg are small market and smaller cities, but why would that have any effect on Kane's play?  He's surrounded by some really good talent and a winning team that is always in the playoffs, of course he is playing well now.

Again that word "Culture" . Buffalo doesn't have a losing culture, there is no such thing. T 

The Sabres were a team constantly over matched by better teams who have more depth and more skill.  Get better players - get more wins. Simple as that.

Can anyone who believe's in Losing Culture explain to me the Leafs 1 season turn around? Missing the play-offs for 9 of the previous 10 and finishing dead last the year prior?

#17 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,140 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

Losing culture gets misconstrued as some kind of all-encompassing funk that hangs over a team.

What it really means is that a team just consistently fails to get the right mixture of talent, attitude, chemistry, work ethic, and leadership qualities. 

A losing culture can be a team with too much talent and no work ethic.  A losing culture can be a team with a ton of work ethic and no talent. Or a ton of talent and no chemistry. 

A winning culture is just a team that has managed to hit on the right mixture for an extended period of time. Perhaps there are some talented scouts or a talented GM or coach who has a good read for what guys bring what to that mixture.

You see winning cultures on teams like Boston where a group of guys really just works well together in the room (Marchand, Bergeron, Chara), and they hold things together through coaching and GM changes and roster turnover. They might turn into a total dumpster fire of a team when those guys retire. Who knows. 

#18 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

I sure as hell would want to avoid this ###### winter we have to be on the coast in the nice weather, and I'm a just a regular dude, imagine a star player with lots of dollars, yeah no one is taking buffalo over the that option.

#19 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,140 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:16 AM

I sure as hell would want to avoid this ###### winter we have to be on the coast in the nice weather, and I'm a just a regular dude, imagine a star player with lots of dollars, yeah no one is taking buffalo over the that option.

Right? Like, I'm sure there are guys like me who love playing in places like Minnesota because they love winter. But I also know that walking out of the rink in shorts and a t-shirt is really nice.

#20 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,646 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

Until this team turns it around good players like Kane will not sign extensions here nor will good players come here of their own free will. Some might but as it stands now this is hockey purgatory where you have guys around the league talking about the sabres in a negative light and media snickering about the sad sack ways of teams like Buffalo. Unfortunately the city will also be dragged down when they do this. I've heard it on talk radio out here. Get used to it. It is what it is and its unfortunate. Get better. Improve the team. Turn it around or continue to hear it . 7 years without the playoffs. Dead ######in last 3 out of the last 5 seasons. We suck.

#21 jsb

jsb

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

Good point.

No I don't think it was a good point, when Kane was here he made a constant barrage of blasting the guy. He can't admit he was WRONG about the guy without putting some spin on it.

Edited by jsb, 13 April 2018 - 08:26 AM.

#22 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,140 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

No I don't think it was a good point, when Kane was here he made a constant barrage of blasting the guy. He can't admit he was WRONG about the guy without putting some spin on it.

What

#23 Anordning

Anordning

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,862 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

Here's a quote from the Sharks' coach in the post-game presser.   Note the section I bolded - remember when this was going to be "Hockey Heaven" under the Pegulas loving touch......?   Now apparently Buffalo is a known pariah in the league to be avoided.    Wuh happen???  Nothing will ruin a good player quicker than doing a 'stint' in Buffalo.  lol

"(Kane) is a world-class player," San Jose coach Peter DeBoer said. "I think Buffalo was a tough situation for everybody, and when he got the opportunity to get into our room and play with Burns and Pavelski, he was re-energized. That's what you're seeing: A guy who got his passion back and came to the rink excited."[/size]

I wouldn't read too much into that.  The Sabres were DFL.  That's the "tough situation" he's referring to.

Edited by Anordning, 13 April 2018 - 08:35 AM.

#24 jsb

jsb

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

What

I don't want to pick a fight with you sir but if you're going to deny 2/3 of your posts on Kane were negative ones when he was here, you need to see someone about your short term memory loss  :P

I wouldn't read too much into that.  The Sabres were DFL.  That's the "tough situation" he's referring to.

That's what I read into it also

#25 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Even accepting that d4rk was a Kane-basher (and I'm not sure he was (I know I sure was)), the point has the ring of truth to it.

Kane seems very much like a big-market baller. I acknowledge what's said above re how players don't see much of their team's city/area during the season, but I think that overstates matters. The player is still in and of the area -- driving here and there, doing this and that. I wish I could find the blog/status entries that Ryan Miller made on ... was it MySpace? ... back when he was first in Buffalo (under an account that was intended to be anonymous). There was lots of normal stuff discussed there, even in-season. 

'Peg and Buffalo have small-town vibes (and, for my part, I am happy with them, thanks very much). Now E. Kane's in Siicon Valley, northern California. Totally different scene. I think he's happy as a pig in sh1t.

+++

One more observation re the mic'd up video. His strategic conversation with his linemate struck me potentially as reflective of the sort of hur-dur-Kaner-skate-fast-up-the-ice mentality that frustrated me when I watched him play in Buffalo.

I don't doubt that his magnificent physical skills and intensity could be very useful in the correct setting. It wasn't happening here, though.

#26 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,140 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

I don't want to pick a fight with you sir but if you're going to deny 2/3 of your posts on Kane were negative ones when he was here, you need to see someone about your short term memory loss  :P

That's what I read into it also

You'd literally have to go back into the archives to find any major complaints from me about Kane. I've been pretty on his side for over a year now. My only issue with him recently was Housley playing him with Jack, which has more to do with Housley than Kane.

I think my feelings on Kane over his time here can be described most accurately as a mixed bag. 

#27 dudacek

dudacek

Token Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Losing culture simply means that too many people in the organization expect to lose.
Not like it, or necessarily even accept it, but they expect it, and it weighs them down.

We see evidence of this on the forum all the time.
Why would we expect it to be different in the organization?

#28 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

I can't recall who said it -- Housley, Botterill, or both -- but I heard it said on WGR that the way to create a winning culture is ... to win.

You win, the winning culture comes. You don't install a winning culture, and then win.

It's a bit of chicken and the egg, eh?

It still intrigues me a bit. So, how do you win? Getting better players seems like a straightforward way to do it.

But we also hear about the need for the players to do dozens of "little things" that help ensure success and/or the players' best efforts, and also the need to buy into what the coaching staff is implementing (paging Mr. Ristolainen ...), and so on. So there does seem to be some need for a "winning culture" to precede the winning.

But mostly, you need to win to have a winning culture. And in order to win, you need good players and depth and competition. That is clearly JBOT's focus.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 13 April 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#29 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

Losing culture gets misconstrued as some kind of all-encompassing funk that hangs over a team.

What it really means is that a team just consistently fails to get the right mixture of talent, attitude, chemistry, work ethic, and leadership qualities. 

A losing culture can be a team with too much talent and no work ethic.  A losing culture can be a team with a ton of work ethic and no talent. Or a ton of talent and no chemistry. 

A winning culture is just a team that has managed to hit on the right mixture for an extended period of time. Perhaps there are some talented scouts or a talented GM or coach who has a good read for what guys bring what to that mixture.

You see winning cultures on teams like Boston where a group of guys really just works well together in the room (Marchand, Bergeron, Chara), and they hold things together through coaching and GM changes and roster turnover. They might turn into a total dumpster fire of a team when those guys retire. Who knows. 

Or maybe Boston just has really good players and lots of depth? Did the Blackhawks suddenly forget how to win this year? 

Its a BS argument, just like blaming the mindset of the Tank 3 years later.  

Replace the bottom end of the roster with more talent, improve the goal tending and you will win games. 

#30 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

O'Reilly, Okposo and Reinhart did nothing out of the ordinary for the first half of the season. By the time they started coming around, loser mentality had already settled in with most.

#31 matter2003

matter2003

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

Maybe you should just call him Candy Cane since you cant spell his name properly.

Its Kane.

Edited by matter2003, 13 April 2018 - 10:14 AM.

#32 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 30,652 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

^ Yes, can someone please fix the title?  It's like a needle in my eye.

#33 Fransk Kollektion

Fransk Kollektion

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

what does that mean? He's a strong, fast winger who scores goals.

Always shoots regardless of another player being in a better position. Many shots are from bad angles or too far out. His default move was to carry the puck in, instead of Jack, ROR or another better distributor, and take a bad angle shot that missed the net and exited the zone.

I liked Evander but he wasn't staying here so let's move on with what we got for him.

#34 jsb

jsb

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

I liked Evander but he wasn't staying here so let's move on with what we got for him.

If you don't offer him a contract, what did you expect?? Have him play here for free??

#35 Sakman

Sakman

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Many said he's not a Buffalo guy and locker room cancer

Sure, some random yahoos said this. We don't know what Kane actually thinks or exactly how he was perceived, or Botteril's assessment of it. Kane was always very complimentary of the city and the team, for what that's worth.  And if he is a "cancer" (I am not saying he is) the Sharks only signed up for 6 weeks of the regular season and the playoffs. Not enough time to metastasize in their locker room. Whereas signing to a long term deal is another story. 
And none of that changes that he was an UFA and the chances of re-signing him within the context of the Sabres salary cap situation were probably close to zero. So he was traded at the deadline. 

#36 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

still cannot figure out how it is that on one hand we keep hearing hat this team had no talent or at least not nearly enough, yet we saw the same team beat some of the best teams in the NHL. And to prove it was no fluke, they beat the B's and the Bolts more then once. Also beat the leafs among other top teams. Leads me to wonder if the talent is there or not. Either way Kane is a beast and the exact kinda player this team needs.

#37 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

still cannot figure out how it is that on one hand we keep hearing hat this team had no talent or at least not nearly enough, yet we saw the same team beat some of the best teams in the NHL. And to prove it was no fluke, they beat the B's and the Bolts more then once. Also beat the leafs among other top teams. Leads me to wonder if the talent is there or not. Either way Kane is a beast and the exact kinda player this team needs.

They have enough talent if they put forth full effort to beat anyone, but not enough discipline and depth to be consistent. That is why they need wingers and be able to put hard working Jags on 3rd and fourth line. Plus they really need a pipeline of young players working their way up. Seems like JBots is establishing it, but itll be incremental improvement till fully implemented.

#38 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Shut the blank up, you selfish blank!

• Members
  • 28,591 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Losing culture simply means that too many people in the organization expect to lose.
Not like it, or necessarily even accept it, but they expect it, and it weighs them down.

How do you think Eichel and O'Reilly, two players who burn, in different ways, after losses felt about Botterill considering this "an evaluation year"?

#39 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,313 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

I agree with this.  Culture in organizations is most definitely a thing.  Many a doctorate thesis has been based on it.  Look at your workplace and try to imagine how difficult it would be to change small operational mindsets.  A diverse environment with a common, accepted way of thinking/doing that many of the folks know is not the best way to do things.  Why is that?  Culture, in good part.

It usually is a result of leadership, but hwen the culture is ingrained even good leadership has to expend great effort to turn the ship. 

The Sabres leadership embraced acceptance of losing, and that acceptance is proving hard to let go of.

#40 PotentPowerPlay22

PotentPowerPlay22

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Evander Kane is a very good hockey player. The Sabres were a bad team. He did pretty well on a very bad team.

There might be a separate thread for this subject, but why has Phil Housley been given a free pass for the Sabres demise this year? I've heard virtually nothing pointing the blame at him. Maybe I just haven't noticed amidst all the other failures.