55 replies to this topic

#41 ROC_EMT

ROC_EMT

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:54 AM

I don't use Roku with the Spectrum app all that much (I was looking into cutting the cord with Spectrum too so I bought a Roku but then got lazy and haven't pursued further) but what worked for me is to set the channels you want to access quicker as favorites and then you can simply go into the favorites list in the app and scroll to the channel you want.

I think those other buttons may be used if you try to play games

#42 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,519 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

I don't use Roku with the Spectrum app all that much (I was looking into cutting the cord with Spectrum too so I bought a Roku but then got lazy and haven't pursued further) but what worked for me is to set the channels you want to access quicker as favorites and then you can simply go into the favorites list in the app and scroll to the channel you want.

I think those other buttons may be used if you try to play games

Thanks

#43 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

I'm sorry, but what you're doing is no better than pirating.  You're not paying for content you're watching, just like all of those masses watching over the internet.  I'm not making a moral judgment on the matter, just calling out the hypocrisy in the bolded.

Agree to disagree. If you don't think scale matters than I don't know what to tell you.

Take this example. You have a 17 year old kid that lives in your house and uses your cable service, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc. This kids uses a Roku to stream all the services. Fast forward one year and the kids goes off to college. He takes that Roku with him and continues to utilize all the same programs. Why is it legal while the kid is under your roof and then suddenly illegal when his address changes?

When I went to Vegas on vacation last year I took a Roku with me and was able to still stream all the same content I do at home. In that scenario it's perfectly legal even though my address temporarily changed.

You are paying for unlimited streaming for most of these services. If your household suddenly goes from 5 people to 4 people (because someone dies or that same kid is now living in a dorm). Do they cut your price 20% because now suddenly you are using their service 20% less? I don't think so. The account holder is paying for that service. If he/she wants to share their passwords with 10 people that's their businesses. It's only going to screw the account holder over if he tries to sign in to watch something and the app boots him out because too many people are already signed in to use the service he is paying for. At that point he can either wait until someone using his information logs off or he can change his password and boot everyone from using his login information.

#44 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

So anyone with Roku got a fix for not have numbers on the remote? I'll use the Google machine to see what comes up. It's my biggest concern. You need to enter the guide to change channels. There are a couple buttons on the remote that I'm not sure what they do, so maybe I can program them or something.

31R3XVlrZyL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I have a couple of these things on 2 of my 3 Roku remotes. They are currently $30 on Amazon but depending on when they go on sale I've seen them for $15 or $20 as well. You can program all the buttons on it to do whatever you want (I programmed mine for power, input, volume up/down, channel up/down, mute, etc). It takes less than 5 minutes to program them and eliminates the need to switch remotes constantly (although I wish it had like 2 more buttons). It won't solve the number issue but does make it easier to surf through your options.

Edited by Alkoholist, 19 April 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#45 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,222 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

It's legal enough. At least someone is paying for their service rather than just a couple of seeders broadcasting their streams to the masses for free over the internet. Netflix definitely knows this happens and even encourages it by offering packages that allow 1, 2, or 4 simultaneous streams. The guy running HBO has encouraged it in past interviews that I've read as well and I think they allow 2 or 3 simultaneous streams from a single account.

Hulu technically doesn't because to my knowledge they still only allow one stream at a time. If that's how they choose to run their business model, that's fine. I watch Hulu a lot, but I probably wouldn't pay for it if I wasn't able to stream one from my family. I'm not sure about the others but if they really wanted to clamp down on it, they can find a way to tie it to IP addresses the way Time Warner does with their Roku apps. If some of these streaming apps tried to clamp down on account sharing they would probably lose business overall.

I'd be surprised that those services don't have language that says streams are only for household members or legal residents where the service is. We could quibble about what a household is, etc., but in reality you're probably breaking the contract. It's on the "I'll burn you a copy of this CD" level rather than "here's a copy of the CD on my website for 1000s of people to enjoy" level; I doubt anyone is going to come after you (not yet at least).

So anyone with Roku got a fix for not have numbers on the remote? I'll use the Google machine to see what comes up. It's my biggest concern. You need to enter the guide to change channels. There are a couple buttons on the remote that I'm not sure what they do, so maybe I can program them or something.

The Roku app on a smart phone has a full keyboard and acts as a remote. Not quite the same thing.

#46 JujuFish

JujuFish

Qwerty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

Agree to disagree. If you don't think scale matters than I don't know what to tell you.

Take this example. You have a 17 year old kid that lives in your house and uses your cable service, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc. This kids uses a Roku to stream all the services. Fast forward one year and the kids goes off to college. He takes that Roku with him and continues to utilize all the same programs. Why is it legal while the kid is under your roof and then suddenly illegal when his address changes?

When I went to Vegas on vacation last year I took a Roku with me and was able to still stream all the same content I do at home. In that scenario it's perfectly legal even though my address temporarily changed.

You are paying for unlimited streaming for most of these services. If your household suddenly goes from 5 people to 4 people (because someone dies or that same kid is now living in a dorm). Do they cut your price 20% because now suddenly you are using their service 20% less? I don't think so. The account holder is paying for that service. If he/she wants to share their passwords with 10 people that's their businesses. It's only going to screw the account holder over if he tries to sign in to watch something and the app boots him out because too many people are already signed in to use the service he is paying for. At that point he can either wait until someone using his information logs off or he can change his password and boot everyone from using his login information.

Because of the Terms of Service that you and everyone else doesn't read when you sign up for the services.

#47 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

Because of the Terms of Service that you and everyone else doesn't read when you sign up for the services.

It's rules like that which lead to piracy in the first place.

The broke college kid isn't going to suddenly spend his beer and pizza money on streaming services. If they figure out how to block it, he'll probably just go without and his parents will just be more likely to cancel since they are paying the same amount while using it less overall.

#48 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

Somewhat related, so I’ll share. If you want NHL.tv, NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB.tv etc, use a .edu email address to sign up. You don’t have to pay with a credit card in the same name. It just has to be an active college student to verify the email (and they do that real-time, not by sending an email for verification). Nothing required of your kind lender of email address. Just a bunch of savings for you.

I save a TON of money by using my wife’s credentials. She’s a forever-student in a PhD program haha. Since I’m out of town, I get all my local sports this way and don’t have to pay for a cable package. I know this isn’t possible for a lot of you locals. But for transplants or WNYers that want all the league, give that a shot.

#49 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,809 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

Roku has an app for your phone. Easy peasy

#50 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,519 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Roku has an app for your phone. Easy peasy

Yeah the app I downloaded has no numbers either, I'll have to take a harder look at it.

#51 JujuFish

JujuFish

Qwerty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

It's rules like that which lead to piracy in the first place.

The broke college kid isn't going to suddenly spend his beer and pizza money on streaming services. If they figure out how to block it, he'll probably just go without and his parents will just be more likely to cancel since they are paying the same amount while using it less overall.

Netflix is as low as $8/month.  That's half the price of a pizza around here.  A college student can easily afford that if he prioritizes it.

#52 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

Netflix is as low as $8/month. That's half the price of a pizza around here. A college student can easily afford that if he prioritizes it.

If you took $8/month out of my beer budget in college, I would cut you.

But we had DC++ in my day and we just got everything for free.

#53 lehner_gives_up_another

lehner_gives_up_another

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:20 PM

i have playstation vue streaming through the amazon fire tv stick. its really cheap, and good quality. 

#54 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:11 PM

Netflix is as low as $8/month. That's half the price of a pizza around here. A college student can easily afford that if he prioritizes it.

I pay Netflix $14.95 per month to have up to 4 simultaneous streams at a time. That allows other members of my family to avoid a Netflix bill altogether and put that money towards Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Amazon Prime so by password sharing we get basically everything and no one person is stuck footing the entire bill. Sure it's technically piracy but it's not like they are losing money because there's no chance I'd pay for each of those services if I wasn't able to share accounts. I would either go without it or pirate it through some country like Tonga that doesn't follow US copyright laws.

#55 JujuFish

JujuFish

Qwerty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 PM

I pay Netflix $14.95 per month to have up to 4 simultaneous streams at a time. That allows other members of my family to avoid a Netflix bill altogether and put that money towards Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Amazon Prime so by password sharing we get basically everything and no one person is stuck footing the entire bill. Sure it's technically piracy but it's not like they are losing money because there's no chance I'd pay for each of those services if I wasn't able to share accounts. I would either go without it or pirate it through some country like Tonga that doesn't follow US copyright laws.

Justify it all you want, I said I wasn't making a moral judgment here.  I'm guilty of illegal streaming myself for sports games from time to time.  I'm just calling a spade a spade.

#56 Gramps

Gramps

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM

31R3XVlrZyL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I have a couple of these things on 2 of my 3 Roku remotes. They are currently $30 on Amazon but depending on when they go on sale I've seen them for $15 or $20 as well. You can program all the buttons on it to do whatever you want (I programmed mine for power, input, volume up/down, channel up/down, mute, etc). It takes less than 5 minutes to program them and eliminates the need to switch remotes constantly (although I wish it had like 2 more buttons). It won't solve the number issue but does make it easier to surf through your options.

Anyone use one of these with an Apple TV 4th generation remote ? I'd like to have a mute button, be able to do both a full page and line scroll of the guide and basically do away with using Apple TV remote.