45 replies to this topic

#41 Kruppstahl

Kruppstahl

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

NHL hockey was immensely more entertaining in the 1980s; it's boring now.

#42 BuffalOhio

BuffalOhio

No more reffing for me, but I still know the rules.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

Commitment to defense, bigger goalies and bigger goalie equipment.  The butterfly and shot blocking by all players makes it nearly impossible to score these days.  Gretzky would come nowhere close to what he did in today's NHL, but he'd still be a top player in the league.

#43 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

NHL hockey was immensely more entertaining in the 1980s; it's boring now.

true

#44 etiennep99

etiennep99

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

The Oilers had:

1. A bunch of immensely talented players

2. Speed and agility

3. Green-light to go on the offensive

4. Fantastic East-West game.  

5. Good to great shooters (Kurri, Gretzky)

6. Played almost as units ala the Russians or Red Wings 5 man Russian unit from days of yore.

Today, all we hear about is playing a safe North-South game.  Boring.

I know that players, goalies, defense are all much bigger and better.

Still, I think that if the Oilers were around today they would still be great.

#45 matter2003

matter2003

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

Conversation happening in the Bills thread. What made Gretzky so dominate? How would he do in today's NHL? Would Crosby be better than him in the 80's NHL?

Slow defensemen, bad goalies...what is the difference between today and the NHL of the 80s?

Bad goalies coupled with much smaller goalies and goalie equipment...a wide open game where teams actually tried to outscore one another instead of trying to out defend one another...the lack of defensive systems like the neutral zone trap and "left wing lock" that were being played...a lot less clutching, holding and grabbing allowed to slow the game done...far more power play opportunities...

Basically the game has become a defensive game instead of an offensive game since then.

Commitment to defense, bigger goalies and bigger goalie equipment.  The butterfly and shot blocking by all players makes it nearly impossible to score these days.  Gretzky would come nowhere close to what he did in today's NHL, but he'd still be a top player in the league.

yeah, he would probably have his point totals cut in half which is why his might be the safest record in all of sports...including Dimaggio's hiting streak record...there is nothing preventing another person from actually surpassing that record involving the structure of the game in Major League Baseball....in the NHL the structure of the game basically prevents anyone from even getting close to Gretzky's record.

While other sports(NBA, MLB, NFL) have embraced offense and scoring and made rule changes to favor the offense,  the NHL has regressed and embraced low scoring, boring snooze-fests that drive fans crazy most nights.  Basically hockey has turned into dump, chase and recover.

Edited by matter2003, 18 February 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#46 calti

calti

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Gretzky wasn't just better, he 8s exponentially better than anyone who has ever played.

He may be the best---but you could make a case for Bobby Orr pre knee surgery.Or even Lemieux.

Gretzky wasnt exponentially better than those 2 by any stretch.

I remember reading about him taking hockey lessons from his dad. Gretzky would move toward a loose puck and his dad would tell him to skate away from it..training him to 'know' where the puck was going before it got there.hence the legendary ability to be slightly ahead of everyone else.

Cripe seeing him come into Buffalo ..on ice with his skinny frame barely holding his jersey and pads on....and just completely dominating good sabres teams. It was awe inspiring.

And I think his dad deserves a lot of credit. His dad coulda been a great  great coach but maybe he didnt want to give his secrets to anyone but his son.

Edited by calti, 19 February 2018 - 03:06 PM.