Woke up at 2:45 after going to bed early. I was screwed. Lay awake for a couple of hours and got to thinking about how I wished I had become an NHL goalie, and a truly eccentric one at that.
Things I'd do that I don't think any other NHL goalie has done:
• Have my own "save celly" for spectacular saves. Why can't a goalie celebrate?
• And why can't a goalie celebrate a regulation time goal with his teammates? Just boogie on down and boogie on down. Then do the fist bump line and go home.
• During a TV timeout, go over to the photographers hole in the glass and convince a fan to pass food and or drink to me to consume during the break.
• Or have a staring contest with a fan.
• Stand next to the opposing goalie for the national anthem.
• Or skate up to the anthem singer and ask if he minds if I sing the Canadian anthem. Then sing it. History!
• In an Original Six city, whip off my helmet just before a slapshot from the point, as an homage to the bare-faced tenders of the past.
• Tweet during a stoppage.
I guess I'd ask the ref before some of these antics if I would be getting a penalty. Or maybe not. After all, I'd be eccentric.
Surely some of you have thought about this kind of thing in the wee hours. What would you do?