68 replies to this topic

#41 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:50 PM

I'll be as bold as this, If O'Reilly is traded by the deadline, JT will be with us.

Edit: I have a feeling he will be gone.

My chocolate starfish is tingling

#42 French Collection

French Collection

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

I am usually not in favour of signing a 27 year old to a 7 year deal but JT is elite. I know his production would decline in a year or two but he is the type who could transform his game, similar to what Yzerman did.

I think ROR would have to leave for cap/ice time reasons and I'm OK with that as he would bring a nice bundle in return. We would be ahead by the JT upgrade plus the return for ROR.

I agree he would be the captain and have the respect of the room.

#43 darksabre

darksabre

Positive Waves

• Members
  • 36,454 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:05 PM

My chocolate starfish is tingling

:lol: :sick:

#44 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 25,356 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

I said the Sabre should be interested, but not at any cost.
It would be a mistake to give JT what he deserves.

Just like it was a mistake to give Jack a contract based on the player message board posters wanted him to be.

I can only assume, based on this, you have no faith in Botterill.

#45 Gramps

Gramps

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

Sadly, the Sabres don't even make the list.

http://www.espn.com/...ee-agent-market

#46 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:16 AM

Comparing Tavares to Okposo, Ehrhoff and Leino is crazy. He's a superstar! Not doubt about it. If he came here and didn't produce it would be time to sell the team and burn the arena. Anytime you can acquire a player like that without losing assets (not including cap room) you do it. Trade him after a season for 4 1sts if you have to. If he would come here for what he's worth 10.5M-11M do whatever you can to make it happen.

Edited by LikeEich, 11 December 2017 - 04:17 AM.

#47 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:21 AM

Trade him after a season for 4 1sts if you have to.

Uh...wut

#48 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Leaving the Isles to come to the Sabres would be like seeking shelter from  a shitstorm in another shitstorm. :blink:

#49 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

Good then he is sure to sign for us :P

#50 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

“There is something in his contract that the Ottawa Senators can request his list of teams he will not be traded to – there’s 10 of them,” noted Friedman during the Saturday Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada. “And there were a lot of rumblings this week that Ottawa did indeed do that.

“Now, Pierre Dorion would not comment. The agent, Don Meehan, would not comment. I was kind of stuck here, and somebody called me to say, Look, he was concerned that this would be phrased as, ‘Ottawa is trying to get rid of Erik Karlsson.’ He said, ‘That is not the case.’ That they’re not going to trade him because they were angry and whatever happened two weeks ago, I think everybody is trying to move past that.

“What I do think is happening is this: Ottawa is struggling. They’ve got 10 players with no-trade contracts. They’re getting all of them  – the ones that had to be in earlier and the ones like Karlsson they can ask for – and they’re going to figure out what they’re going to do."

https://www.fanragsp...de-list-report/

#51 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

On paper, Buffalo shouldn't really be on the list. If you're not following the team obsessively and hopelessly negative, the Sabres have 2 solid centers (Eichel and O'Reilly), with Reinhart (and Mittelstadt, if you're paying attention) as up and coming centers, so getting in on another expensive center seems like a bad decision given the team needs of D and wings.

#52 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

On paper, Buffalo shouldn't really be on the list. If you're not following the team obsessively and hopelessly negative, the Sabres have 2 solid centers (Eichel and O'Reilly), with Reinhart (and Mittelstadt, if you're paying attention) as up and coming centers, so getting in on another expensive center seems like a bad decision given the team needs of D and wings.

That is why I said earlier, only of O'Reilly gets traded you have room for him.

#53 FuhrUrsinne

FuhrUrsinne

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

That is why I said earlier, only of O'Reilly gets traded you have room for him.

Actually, I crunched some numbers and found that the Sabres would have the room to sign Tavares AND keep O'Reilly along with Eichel, Okposo, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and Scandella. I used an estimated $80 million cap for my back-of-the-envelope estimate. I even assumed we were holding on to dead weight like Bogosian, Moulson, Pominville, and Beaulieu.

It's all very possible to imagine if you factor in the likelihood that Kane and Lehner are gone next season and that several of our inexpensive prospects make the NHL squad full time (Nylander, Mittelstadt, Bailey, Guhle, and Ullmark). The caveat, however, is that there would be no financial room to upgrade the defense without moving some of that aforementioned dead weight. But where there's a will, there's a way! Kane and Lehner trades, for example, could include salary dumps and defensemen help.

#54 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

Uh...wut

What is a superstar center worth? One of the best centers in the game today, and will continue to be for his career. His trade value as a rental right now would be through the roof, never mind signed long term. Maybe not 4 1st rd picks but he would bring in one he'll of a return under contract.

Edited by LikeEich, 11 December 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#55 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:42 PM

What is a superstar center worth? One of the best centers in the game today, and will continue to be for his career. His trade value as a rental right now would be through the roof, never mind signed long term. Maybe not 4 1st rd picks but he would bring in one he'll of a return under contract.

Nobody will ever trade that much for a rental. Nobody is ever trading for a superstar, probable HoF, as a rental. It just doesn't make any sense

#56 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Nobody will ever trade that much for a rental. Nobody is ever trading for a superstar, probable HoF, as a rental. It just doesn't make any sense

Give my post another read a little bit slower

#57 Doohickie

Doohickie

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

Heh.  Don't you realize that free agents come to Buffalo to watch their careers DIE?

Edited by Anordning, 11 December 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#58 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Heh. Don't you realize that free agents come to Buffalo to watch their careers DIE?

A few reading comprehension issues on this board lol... please read my initial post about Tavares

Edited by LikeEich, 11 December 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#59 Doohickie

Doohickie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

A few reading comprehension issues on this board lol... please read my initial post about Tavares

No, I don't think I have to.

#60 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

No, I don't think I have to.

Appears it's me with the reading comprehension issues haha. You're saying if he came here he would lose all value right? I thought you meant he wouldn't come here

Edited by LikeEich, 11 December 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#61 Doohickie

Doohickie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

:flirt:

#62 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

:flirt:

Although I did have a rebuttal for that in my initial post also. Sell the team, burn the arena, pick a new team and act like you were never silly enough to wear blue and gold.

#63 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

Give my post another read a little bit slower

You're saying maybe he doesn't fetch 4 1sts, but even if he doesn't, that his trade value as a rental is through the roof right now, and that he would be worth more if he was signed long term

I'm saying there is no point in considering him as a rental, for that very reason. Nobody is going to pay 'through the roof' for a top line center / captain / face of a franchise that would completely change the entire dynamic of their team and expect that all to mesh within 2 months. It would never, ever work, and no team is dumb enough to even try it, let alone pay anything significant for it

#64 Doohickie

Doohickie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

Although I did have a rebuttal for that in my initial post also. Sell the team, burn the arena, pick a new team and act like you were never silly enough to wear blue and gold.

:rolleyes:

#65 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

If isles were to shop him, I guarantee someone would be 2x1st or significant prospects just for the heightened chance of winning a cup. Look up Martin hanzal trade history.
Not to mention at this point in time they could discuss a contract extension before trading for him... I see your point though, would be a very tough trade to pull off without many available trade partners

My apologies for sloppy grammar and confusing mistakes. Mobile plus a funky autocorrect.

#66 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

If isles were to shop him, I guarantee someone would be 2x1st or significant prospects just for the heightened chance of winning a cup. Look up Martin hanzal trade history.
Not to mention at this point in time they could discuss a contract extension before trading for him... I see your point though, would be a very tough trade to pull off without many available trade partners

My apologies for sloppy grammar and confusing mistakes. Mobile plus a funky autocorrect.

I just don't think any team would throw that giant of a wrench in that short of a time period, especially when, if they're buyers at the deadline, they're already contenders. No offense but Martin Hanzal is not John Tavares

#67 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

Oops I accidently deleted that post. It read something like this:

None taken, he's definetly not on Tavares level. Where our opinions differ is I think of he was available, a contender wouldnt hesitate to sign him, that may or may not be correct. However there is a few teams that may not be contenders that see that acquisition as now being bonefide contenders. I believe there would be a rather strong market for him

Edited by LikeEich, 11 December 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#68 Skurk Liger

Skurk Liger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

You're saying maybe he doesn't fetch 4 1sts, but even if he doesn't, that his trade value as a rental is through the roof right now, and that he would be worth more if he was signed long term

I'm saying there is no point in considering him as a rental, for that very reason. Nobody is going to pay 'through the roof' for a top line center / captain / face of a franchise that would completely change the entire dynamic of their team and expect that all to mesh within 2 months. It would never, ever work, and no team is dumb enough to even try it, let alone pay anything significant for it

Oh there's always a team desperate or dumb enough.

#69 WildCard

WildCard

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

Oh there's always a team desperate or dumb enough.

I think even Chiareli is safe from this one