48 replies to this topic

#41 SkuggaLiger

SkuggaLiger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

The decidedly inexpert opinion of this particular internet JAG formed from a combination of assorted anecdotal evidence, looking at a lot of charts showing who got drafted when and from where, and a deep and granite-hard hatred of the NCAA.

So bias. 

#42 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

What are you comparing college players to when you say " I still find the focus on and investment into college players disproportionate to the outcomes"?

I don't think this was the best way to state this by me.  If a dude is good you draft him.  If a dude hits free agency and can help you, then sign him.  The situation with College players not having to go back into the draft gives them leverage, and I think that there is a perception that college UFAs in general have some sort of value above and beyond other players at the same age, when other players at that age have been playing pro for a couple of years by then.

#43 SkuggaLiger

SkuggaLiger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

I don't think this was the best way to state this by me.  If a dude is good you draft him.  If a dude hits free agency and can help you, then sign him.  The situation with College players not having to go back into the draft gives them leverage, and I think that there is a perception that college UFAs in general have some sort of value above and beyond other players at the same age, when other players at that age have been playing pro for a couple of years by then.

That's because there aren't other players that age who are UFA's. There are a couple of Euros here and there but the NCAA has a bunch of players who become UFA's either undrafted or because of the 4 year loophole. Those other players you reference are typically controlled by teams and in the AHL. If Nic Baptiste was a 4th year college kid, teams would be after him.  Because trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for a 22 year old who you basically know what you are getting, makes the most sense. Since there are so few, it inflates the market. 

#44 skogslopp

skogslopp

The faster Swedish version of Woods-Racer.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

It appears that in the last 20 years college players have risen in the ranks as marketable assets. The way of valuing them and how to handle them as prospects has grow out dated as more kids go to college (which should not be deterred). 

Seems an updated RFA/UFA set rules is in need.

#45 SkuggaLiger

SkuggaLiger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

It appears that in the last 20 years college players have risen in the ranks as marketable assets. The way of valuing them and how to handle them as prospects has grow out dated as more kids go to college (which should not be deterred). 

Seems an updated RFA/UFA set rules is in need.

They need to change the rule so that if you go 4 years and don't sign with your drafted team, you have to sit out 1 year before you become a UFA. 

#46 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

They need to change the rule so that if you go 4 years and don't sign with your drafted team, you have to sit out 1 year before you become a UFA.

Supposedly the NHLPA fought hard to keep the rules the way they are. I think a reasonable change that they might accept is letting the team with the player's rights offer a better contract than what they'd get as a UFA (similar to NHL UFAs now). So either a longer term or more money. That way there's extra incentive for the player to sign with the team that drafted them (or traded for their rights) but the team would have to lean in too, and players could still opt to go their own way.

#47 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

So bias. 

Perhaps a bit.

#48 GASabresIUFAN

GASabresIUFAN

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

Supposedly the NHLPA fought hard to keep the rules the way they are. I think a reasonable change that they might accept is letting the team with the player's rights offer a better contract than what they'd get as a UFA (similar to NHL UFAs now). So either a longer term or more money. That way there's extra incentive for the player to sign with the team that drafted them (or traded for their rights) but the team would have to lean in too, and players could still opt to go their own way.

How about a compensatory draft pick equal to the value of contract signed? Most ELCs are slotted/paid based upon the players draft position, but teams can pay more. Lets take Borgen for example. He was a 4th rd pick, but if someone signs him to a deal with 1st rd money, we’d get at least a 2nd rd pick as compensation. This can be done with by the NHL giving us a pick at the end of the 2nd rd or better yet, just like a team signing a player to an offer sheet, we’d get their 2nd rd pick.

#49 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

From hockey news 5'prospects to know

Dylan Sikura, RW, Northeastern University Huskies (Hockey East) – I’ve given Gaudette a lot of pub this season, so let’s share the love for Sikura, a silky playmaker who had two points of his own in the Beanpot final. Gaudette’s linemate, Sikura is a Chicago Blackhawks pick who is attracting a lot of attention right now – and with good reason. NHL arrival: 2018-19 (though there’s a chance he gets into a game this year)