391 replies to this topic

#361 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

I've convinced myself that the Super Mario back to full strength sound effect is not played in the arena there. I'm guessing the Sabres used the Colorado feed and the sound effect is only on the broadcast. There's no way the NHL would allow it (teehee).

I did some digging and the chatter on the fan forums is that they DO play it in the arena. They started doing it in 2015. There's some debate as to whether it's an advantage or disadvantage, but it doesn't appear to be against the rules.

#362 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Just watched the highlights.

Wins are awesome!!

#363 TräskB

TräskB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

Pretty much a function of the camera set up. On the main camera, the unis typically looked very close to normal. On the close up ones, they looked much more royal blue. It's probably intentional in that rink to make the blue in the Av's unis 'pop.'

[Edit: Reading further down the thread, it appears you already figured that out. As Emily Lutella always said, "nevermind." ]

I don't think it's intentionalIt's just a function of the iris of the cameras. There is more bright white of the ice on the main camera so they have to not let as much light in, making the blues darker. The close ups have more crowd background and bench with less ice, so they can open up the iris which lightens up the blue.

#364 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

I don't think it's intentionalIt's just a function of the iris of the cameras. There is more bright white of the ice on the main camera so they have to not let as much light in, making the blues darker. The close ups have more crowd background and bench with less ice, so they can open up the iris which lightens up the blue.

I'd expect it is intentional as it was FAR more noticeable in that rink than any other the Sabres have played in & w/ the sweaters the Avs wear, there's a REALLY good reason to do it. The bright blue of the Avs in close up was nearly glowing. It looked very sharp, IMHO.

It also was very apparent when they were providing the full ice shot from alternate (lower) angles. Pretty sure that's an intentional choice of the production crew. If so, too bad the Sabres don't employ the same when they control the cameras.

#365 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

I've convinced myself that the Super Mario back to full strength sound effect is not played in the arena there. I'm guessing the Sabres used the Colorado feed and the sound effect is only on the broadcast. There's no way the NHL would allow it (teehee).

It's probably mixed in with the ice mic audio feed. At least that's how I'd do it.

#366 TräskB

TräskB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'd expect it is intentional as it was FAR more noticeable in that rink than any other the Sabres have played in & w/ the sweaters the Avs wear, there's a REALLY good reason to do it. The bright blue of the Avs in close up was nearly glowing. It looked very sharp, IMHO.

It also was very apparent when they were providing the full ice shot from alternate (lower) angles. Pretty sure that's an intentional choice of the production crew. If so, too bad the Sabres don't employ the same when they control the cameras.

That place also has great lighting. Some of the best in the leaugue. I really don't think it's intentional.

#367 PAnnySabreFan

PAnnySabreFan

The guy at the end of the bar

• Members
  • 26,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

Did Druncle Terry spend some dough on improving the lighting at the Marena?

I did some digging and the chatter on the fan forums is that they DO play it in the arena. They started doing it in 2015. There's some debate as to whether it's an advantage or disadvantage, but it doesn't appear to be against the rules.

I saw some of that. I think it's just a matter of people assuming it's being played in the rink like I (we) did. It's not reporting, per se. If you have a more definitive link please pass it along. I find this kind of interesting. At first I thought it would be a nice advantage for the home team, knowing exactly when a player is leaving the box, to spring a pass. But of course it also lets the defending team know.

#368 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

And another thing ...

Took a bit, but MacKinnon is a player.  He will be a huge star in this league.

#369 De Listig Ett

De Listig Ett

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

Just 22 more open nets for Eichel to get to where he needs to be.  Lulz.  All in all, the first period was really sloppy.  Things settled down in the second.  Nice push, keep building boys.  

#370 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

That place also has great lighting. Some of the best in the leaugue. I really don't think it's intentional.

Please show me the lighting conditions (sunlight, incandescent, sodium, mercury vapor, LED, etc. ) that when seeing those unis live & in person that the navy blue trim on the Sabres whites appear royal blue.

It's intentional.

#371 3putt

3putt

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

Agree with Bulldog on Twitter (from what I saw of the game): Eichel was skating like he hasn’t for ... a long time.

Which is frustrating.

I disagree.  I think he was the same skating wise.  It is easier to acknowledge it when they win. 

#372 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

I disagree.  I think he was the same skating wise.  It is easier to acknowledge it when they win. 

I agree. I didn't think Jack looked significantly different last night. 

#373 TräskB

TräskB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

Please show me the lighting conditions (sunlight, incandescent, sodium, mercury vapor, LED, etc. ) that when seeing those unis live & in person that the navy blue trim on the Sabres whites appear royal blue.

It's intentional.

When did I say they looked like that live? I said it's a function of the LED lighting and the cameras.

Aaaaand I just stopped caring.

#374 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

When did I say they looked like that live? I said it's a function of the LED lighting and the cameras.

Aaaaand I just stopped caring.

So, 'the best lighting' causes colors to distort? And the production crew could only come close to compensating for it on 1 camera? :huh:

#375 TräskB

TräskB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:59 PM

So, 'the best lighting' causes colors to distort? And the production crew could only come close to compensating for it on 1 camera? :huh:

So you didn't even read my first post, then? This absolutely could happen.Each camera is color corrected separately as well as being white balanced separately. 

The main camera has way more bright white of the ice in the frame which means they have to close the iris down letting in less light. That would absolutely make the blues darker on the main cam.

Actually, the more I think about it, it may have looked like that in person. The guy I was watching the game with last night texted his buddy who designs jerseys for the NHL, 'cuz we were wondering if they changed to blue without telling anyone, and he said it was the lighting in that arena.

All that being said, intentional or not, the Sabres need to go back to royal because it looked ###### awesome.

Edited by TräskB, 06 December 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#376 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

You'll notice this same phenomenon at Edmonton games. Very similar lighting tricks to make that blue pop.

#377 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

So you didn't even read my first post, then? This absolutely could happen.Each camera is color corrected separately as well as being white balanced separately. 

The main camera has way more bright white of the ice in the frame which means they have to close the iris down letting in less light. That would absolutely make the blues darker on the main cam.

I did read your post & have experience w/ optics as well.

The images provided by the main cameras were the closest to the ACTUAL uniform coloration. As you just stated, each other camera was set for light & color. Can we agree that the camera settings were intentional? THOSE cameras are the ones that did not produce a true image. If the ones that had to deal w/ potential overbleaching provided the truer image, then how do the other cameras produce illusory colorations? Was it by intent or incompetence?

#378 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

More likely the type of lights they are using... Halogens are on the bluer spectrum, Incandescents yellower, fluorescents even more bluer and LED very intense bright blowing out colors less diffused. So it effects cameras and whatever adjustments each rink standardizes its cameras at.

Edited by Kottbullar, 06 December 2017 - 01:07 PM.

#379 BLINDGÅNGAREly

BLINDGÅNGAREly

The Kids are making me nervous..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

Well watched some of the first period and they didn't look terrible and see they won. Yeah..

Now can they continue to play this way and get even better still.  Maybe we have some line and pairing combinations that can stick together for more than a few periods.

whats the current betting line on count down of games before injury to Bogo? 

I'm going to go with 4. 

#380 TräskB

TräskB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

I did read your post & have experience w/ optics as well.

The images provided by the main cameras were the closest to the ACTUAL uniform coloration. As you just stated, each other camera was set for light & color. Can we agree that the camera settings were intentional? THOSE cameras are the ones that did not produce a true image. If the ones that had to deal w/ potential overbleaching provided the truer image, then how do the other cameras produce illusory colorations? Was it by intent or incompetence?

My guess is neither. When people are shading cameras, they usually do it so that skin tones look the most natural. Since nobody in the crowd or on the ice looks like Violet Beauregard, I'm guessing it's just the way the lights are interacting with the blue and how much has to be let into the camera.

And I did think Jack looked a little different. He looked more determined with the puck.

Edited by TräskB, 06 December 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#381 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

My guess is neither. When people are shading cameras, they usually do it so that skin tones look the most natural. Since nobody in the crowd or on the ice looks like Violet Beauregard, I'm guessing it's just the way the lights are interacting with the blue and how much has to be let into the camera.
And I did think Jack looked a little different. He looked more determined with the puck.

Exactly and you cant adjust the color balance on the fly and get a consistent image because it will vary too much with the directionality and diffusion rate of the different types of light. Also the in game photographers often have strobes up in the rafters to fill flash and that can change the images drastically.

#382 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

BUY0U6z.jpg

I didn't watch the game last night, but apparently there was a weird camera thing that made our unis look royal instead of navy blue...gorgeous.

Exactly and you cant adjust the color balance on the fly and get a consistent image because it will vary too much with the directionality and diffusion rate of the different types of light. Also the in game photographers often have strobes up in the rafters to fill flash and that can change the images drastically.

You're saying the 1 rink in the entire NHL that we've seen the Sabres unis look like they have bright blue in them, just happens to be the rink the home team's unis look best when THEIR blue appears brightest, & it's strictly a coincidence that this 1 rink throws the lighting off on professional television broadcasting cameras to such a degree? At least you are both stating that the cameras were set to their settings intentionally.

Check out the flesh tones in Sakman's post 540 in the Everything Sabres Uniform Related - Blue & Gold Please , and tell me that is Chad Johnson's normal skin tone. (Will try to add link in an edit. Don't want to lose the rest of my typing to add that post link in at present. Sorry.) Those cameras were not set to account for skin coloration.

It's like claiming that in the '80's it was just a coincidence that the football fields on CBS' s broadcasts were a way brighter green than on NBC's broadcasts. The cameras were set to make those images appear more appealing. Just like the Avs cameras are. ;)

Edit: Sakman's post is now at the top of this post. For some unbeknownst reason, it keeps pasting there rather than here.]

Edited by Taro T, 06 December 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#383 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,465 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

I think that is the Sabres best six on defence.
Maybe the game has passed me by, but Risto’s game tonight is exactly how I want my defencemen to play.

Lehner did not look good on either goal.
See how it doesn’t matter when they score three instead of one?

You like defensemen (notice the correct spelling) to get their doors blown off by MacKinnon? :P

#384 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,026 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

I agree. I didn't think Jack looked significantly different last night. 

Well, now I need Bulldog to stop lurking and come in here and back me up.

Three separate times within 20 minutes of game play, I saw Eichel moving at a pace and with a purpose I had not seen from him in a while. Small sample size, etc. Even so.

Edited by That Aud Smell, 06 December 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#385 Mick O’Manly

Mick O’Manly

Translate it yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

You like defensemen (notice the correct spelling) to get their doors blown off by MacKinnon? :P

An American lecturing on proper English. How quaint.

(I’ve missed you Blue. Almost as much as Risto missed on MacKinnon.

#386 PAnnySabreFan

PAnnySabreFan

• Members
  • 26,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

My Brandon theory, at first tongue in cheek, could actually be true?

#387 3putt

3putt

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Three separate times within 20 minutes of game play, I saw Eichel moving at a pace and with a purpose I had not seen from him in a while. Small sample size, etc. Even so.

I think the only noticeable difference last night than the previous handful, was decisiveness with the puck.  Fewer gaffes based on over thinking.  His speed and coverage has been an overall positive this year.  Sabres win, he scores,linemates score.  Not much to complain about.

#388 PAnnySabreFan

PAnnySabreFan

• Members
  • 26,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

That empty net goal could make the Sweet 16. Pretty remarkable upon further review. As the puck was dropped, Eichel shot himself out of a cannon to a predetermined spot above the dot. O'Reilly won the draw and pulled the puck back between his legs, then slipped it forward right to Eichel. Jack did the rest.

#389 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,741 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

How far the Sabres have fallen that an empty-net goal could be considered among the season's best.

#390 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

How far the Sabres have fallen that an empty-net goal could be considered among the season's best.

FWIW, it looked a lot like a set play, and a textbook one at that. I'd be interested to see if they try to pull that on a normal PK, could be interesting.

#391 Anordning

Anordning

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:51 AM

I'll testify.  He also played the body convincingly several times and even jumped into a scrum after the whistle.  He looked almost captain-like at times.

Edited by Doohickie, 07 December 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#392 Mick O’Manly

Mick O’Manly

Translate it yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

I'll testify. He also played the body convincingly several times and even jumped into a scrum after the whistle. He looked almost captain-like at times.

Russ Brandon, being the leader he is, had a great heart-to-heart with Jack about how greatness emerges during times of adversity, then detailed what he needs to do to turn this thing around. Jack responded.

#narrativesyoullneverseeonsabrespace.

Edited by Mick O’Manly, 07 December 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT, Colorado, Avalance, The Tank Starts Here