#241 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

Is the correct answer ground up in Russ Brandon's freezer? :unsure:

He's supposed to report to Ontario (CA) of the AHL.

:lol: Thanks! 

#242 Rör av pojkar

Rör av pojkar

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

I can only assume this is what Moulson wanted to do, and was done as a favor to a veteran player.

#243 Georgia Flakt

Georgia Flakt

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

Question:  The articles about the waiving of Moulson mentions that Jbot and Wowie have been discussing this for weeks.  Why did they need a couple of weeks to make this decision? This implies that they agonized over the decision.  Why? I can't imagine what facts were holding them back from letting him go.  It's been obvious for years that Matt no longer had the game to stay in the NHL.  He should have been waived at the start of the season and his slot given to someone else.

#244 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

Question: The articles about the waiving of Moulson mentions that Jbot and Wowie have been discussing this for weeks. Why did they need a couple of weeks to make this decision? This implies that they agonized over the decision. Why? I can't imagine what facts were holding them back from letting him go. It's been obvious for years that Matt no longer had the game to stay in the NHL. He should have been waived at the start of the season and his slot given to someone else.

It was probably a matter of logistics. Housley was probably ready before Botterill, but Botterill didn't want Moulson on the Amerks. So he had to find somewhere to send Matty Mo. Enter the Ontario Reign. I bet that took some convincing, but I expect that agreement was in place before he waived Moulson and all that was left was talking Matt into it.

#245 Gramps

Gramps

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

It was probably a matter of logistics. Housley was probably ready before Botterill, but Botterill didn't want Moulson on the Amerks. So he had to find somewhere to send Matty Mo. Enter the Ontario Reign. I bet that took some convincing, but I expect that agreement was in place before he waived Moulson and all that was left was talking Matt into it.

Maybe MM and his agent came up with the idea given that his wife's sis is married to Quick ? 

#246 Anordning

Anordning

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

Question:  The articles about the waiving of Moulson mentions that Jbot and Wowie have been discussing this for weeks.  Why did they need a couple of weeks to make this decision? This implies that they agonized over the decision.  Why? I can't imagine what facts were holding them back from letting him go.  It's been obvious for years that Matt no longer had the game to stay in the NHL.  He should have been waived at the start of the season and his slot given to someone else.

Because they were trying to work a trade to an NHL team, perhaps?

#247 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:54 AM

Because they were trying to work a trade to an NHL team, perhaps?

I think I read someplace, heck, might have even been here somewhere, JBOTs saying exactly this. It could, however, have been one of those strange dreams I've been having...

#248 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

I think I read someplace, heck, might have even been here somewhere, JBOTs saying exactly this. It could, however, have been one of those strange dreams I've been having...

Not a strange dream... that's what happened.  It was reported in the articles discussing the move.  Moulson even expanded his list of teams he could be traded to and it didn't help.  No big surprise.

#249 skogslopp

skogslopp

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

My hope is that MM does so well in Ontario that he impresses the coaches enough that LA wants him. Everybody wins in that scenario. MM is a good guy, love to see him finish out on top. 

#250 PAnnySabreFan

PAnnySabreFan

The guy at the end of the bar

• Members
  • 26,364 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

Is the correct answer ground up in Russ Brandon's freezer? :unsure:

You've been on a roll since taking a brief hiatus. It does old guys like us wonders, eh?

#251 Mustasch av gud

Mustasch av gud

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

My hope is that MM does so well in Ontario that he impresses the coaches enough that LA wants him. Everybody wins in that scenario. MM is a good guy, love to see him finish out on top. 

Is that a scenario that could play out? The Sabres loaned him to the Kings affiliate. If the Kings wanted him they'd essentially have to trade for him and take on the contract (or at least 50% of it if Buffalo agrees to eat some). Looking at the Kings on Cap Friendly it doesn't look like they can afford MM as is.

#252 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

I think this is correct, he's still Sabres property unless the Kings work some sort of trade. In theory Buffalo could recall him and the Kings pick him up on waivers, but I have to think the Kings would rather trade a 7th round pick for the Sabres taking 50% of the salary though.

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. That ended with the current CBA. Waiver eligible players have to pass through waivers on their way down but once they clear there are no waivers on the way back up.

#253 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. That ended with the current CBA. Waiver eligible players have to pass through waivers on their way down but once they clear there are no waivers on the way back up.

Whoops!

#254 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

Whoops!

No worries, man. I learned that from reading this board so I figured I should pass it along. I still think our best chance to get out from under Moulson's contract will be for him to retire after he gets his $1 million signing bonus on July 1, 2018. At that point he's only leaving $2 million of his $25 million contract on the table and it will save him a full year of riding busses and crappy charter flights in the AHL.

#255 paj två tusen

paj två tusen

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

No team will take on his $5m/yr salary.    BUF is stuck with that contract.. the only hope is he retires after this season, but I wouldn't bet on it....   Also, I find it interesting that Cody Hodgson's cap hit will go up to $800k/yr from 2019-2023.   Seems like a long time.

#256 Gramps

Gramps

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

No worries, man. I learned that from reading this board so I figured I should pass it along. I still think our best chance to get out from under Moulson's contract will be for him to retire after he gets his $1 million signing bonus on July 1, 2018. At that point he's only leaving $2 million of his $25 million contract on the table and it will save him a full year of riding busses and crappy charter flights in the AHL.

Why would he do that if he's still in good shape and can make $5 mil playing in SoCal ? He'll only be 34 y.o. - extra $2 mil would go a long way if invested properly. And after next year, he could probably go play in Europe for $1m a season or so. 

#257 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Why would he do that if he's still in good shape and can make $5 mil playing in SoCal ? He'll only be 34 y.o. - extra $2 mil would go a long way if invested properly. And after next year, he could probably go play in Europe for $1m a season or so. 

It's mostly wishful thinking on my end. He won't make $5 million regardless though, that's just his cap hit. He makes $3 million total next year if he plays all year. Or he can make $1 million to hang around until July 1st then retire afterwards.

Personally I'd never walk away from $2 million but I've also never made tens of millions of dollars in my career like he has. Lots of pro athletes retire before their contracts expire though so it's not like him doing it would be unprecedented. And while the odds may be slim they've got to be infinitely higher than some NHL team actually trading for him.

#258 Gramps

Gramps

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

It's mostly wishful thinking on my end. He won't make $5 million regardless though, that's just his cap hit. He makes $3 million total next year if he plays all year. Or he can make $1 million to hang around until July 1st then retire afterwards.

Personally I'd never walk away from $2 million but I've also never made tens of millions of dollars in my career like he has. Lots of pro athletes retire before their contracts expire though so it's not like him doing it would be unprecedented. And while the odds may be slim they've got to be infinitely higher than some NHL team actually trading for him.

My bad on the salary ... I'd never walk away from $2m either if I was 34 and didn't know what my future held. Or he could take the $1mil as you say, retire, and possibly sign in the KHL/Europe for more than $2m and for a longer term. I'm guessing he plays out 2018-19 in the minors for the $3mil.

#259 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

You've been on a roll since taking a brief hiatus. It does old guys like us wonders, eh?

Thanks.

HIGHLY recommend walking away from here every now & then. :beer:

#260 erickompositör72

erickompositör72

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

and possibly sign in the KHL/Europe for more than $2m and for a longer term.

If he takes the signing bonus, then retires, he'll have made roughly 37mil in his NHL career. Unless he's blown through everything and has a complete moron handling his money, I say relocating to another continent is not something a person in his situation considers.

#261 Gramps

Gramps

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

If he takes the signing bonus, then retires, he'll have made roughly 37mil in his NHL career. Unless he's blown through everything and has a complete moron handling his money, I say relocating to another continent is not something a person in his situation considers.

Perhaps not ... depends how much he wants to play hockey.

#262 det har elektrolyter

det har elektrolyter

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

From The Athletic.

After a recent meeting between Matt Moulson and Jason Botterill, the Sabres general manager delivered some surprising news. Though it was neither shocking that the team had decided to waive Moulson — not after being a regular healthy scratch — nor that he cleared waivers, he wasn’t expecting to be packing up his things for a cross-country commute.

Had he been assigned to the Sabres AHL franchise, the Rochester Americans, Moulson could have kept his family — wife Alicia; 5-year-old daughter, Mila; and 4-year-old son, George — in their Buffalo-area home and driven back and forth as needed.

It’s roughly 74 miles.

But the Sabres suggested a new start for Moulson. The team wanted its young prospects to get ample ice time in Rochester. According to Moulson, the organization didn't want him to feel “uncomfortable” that he wouldn't be getting much. So they decided he’d be better off with the Ontario Reign, the affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings

Moulson wasn’t in on the decision and he wasn’t getting playing time in Rochester either

Also he is feels he has a lot of hockey left, doubt he retires after this year.

His family is moving to California and he will be a ten minute walk from the Quick’s

#263 Bjorn Borg

Bjorn Borg

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

So a cold, calculated move from Botterill. It was the right call.

#264 dewookieen

dewookieen

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

From The Athletic.

After a recent meeting between Matt Moulson and Jason Botterill, the Sabres general manager delivered some surprising news. Though it was neither shocking that the team had decided to waive Moulson — not after being a regular healthy scratch — nor that he cleared waivers, he wasn’t expecting to be packing up his things for a cross-country commute.

Had he been assigned to the Sabres AHL franchise, the Rochester Americans, Moulson could have kept his family — wife Alicia; 5-year-old daughter, Mila; and 4-year-old son, George — in their Buffalo-area home and driven back and forth as needed.

It’s roughly 74 miles.

But the Sabres suggested a new start for Moulson. The team wanted its young prospects to get ample ice time in Rochester. According to Moulson, the organization didn't want him to feel “uncomfortable” that he wouldn't be getting much. So they decided he’d be better off with the Ontario Reign, the affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings

Moulson wasn’t in on the decision and he wasn’t getting playing time in Rochester either

His family is moving to California and he will be a ten minute walk from the Quick’s

Definitely cold and calculating yet simultaneously respectful and trying to be accommodating.   

#265 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

Am I the only one that thinks it is bad form, to say the least, if the Sabres did not talk with Matt about being assigned to California?

#266 erickompositör72

erickompositör72

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

Am I the only one that thinks it is bad form, to say the least, if the Sabres did not talk with Matt about being assigned to California?

I was initially of that mind, and then I realized- they're paying him more than 2x what any NHL team thinks he's worth. He's not earning his money as a hockey player, so they shouldn't feel bad about shipping him anywhere for the money they're paying him. You only control your own destiny when you produce what's expected of you, and I'm sure Matt gets that and accepts that.

Edited by erickompositör72, 09 December 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#267 Borkman

Borkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

I mean the alternative was sending him to Rochester to be a healthy scratch. Would that have been good form?

#268 skogslopp

skogslopp

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:37 PM

Is that a scenario that could play out? The Sabres loaned him to the Kings affiliate. If the Kings wanted him they'd essentially have to trade for him and take on the contract (or at least 50% of it if Buffalo agrees to eat some). Looking at the Kings on Cap Friendly it doesn't look like they can afford MM as is.

Chances are very slim, especially this year. But It could happen next year, with the Sabres eating Salary.

#269 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:58 AM

From The Athletic.

It’s roughly 74 miles.

I wouldn't see Moulson driving back and forth from Rochester each day to be part of the Amerks.  He'd need a place to stay in Rochester for game days, etc.  There's a difference when you drive back and forth for a 9-10 hour workday.  I think what Botterill did shows some real thinking and understanding of the player and the impact on the family. 

Moulson can feel he has a lot of hockey left but it doesn't appear to translate to it on the Sabres.  It's possible a different team can use him in a way that makes him more productive, but it's unlikely.

#270 Jokertecken

Jokertecken

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

@BillHoppeNHL
In his first AHL appearances since April 11, 2009, Matt Moulson had three assists in two games with the Ontario Reign over the weekend. #Sabres

#271 Anordning

Anordning

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Interesting.  I guess compared to the NHL, the AHL is a cakewalk for ol' Matty Mo.

#272 paj två tusen

paj två tusen

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 PM

@BillHoppeNHL
In his first AHL appearances since April 11, 2009, Matt Moulson had three assists in two games with the Ontario Reign over the weekend. #Sabres

"WOW!  He obviously got the message.... Call him up!" - JBOTs probably

Edited by paj två tusen, Yesterday, 05:03 PM.

#273 Mick O’Manly

Mick O’Manly

Translate it yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:03 PM

He’s still a smart dude with good hands.
The NHL game is just too fast for him now.

#274 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,486 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 PM

He’s still a smart dude with good hands.
The NHL game is just too fast for him now.

This is how I see it.

#275 skogslopp

skogslopp

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

He might be a decent fit on a *heavy* team. Not sure if LA has changed directions on how they view what it takes to win, but if the old mold is still how they want to put a team together he may have a shot.

#276 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

He might be a decent fit on a *heavy* team. Not sure if LA has changed directions on how they view what it takes to win, but if the old mold is still how they want to put a team together he may have a shot.

Even so, I wouldn't think LA would trade for Moulson with the contract.

#277 paj två tusen

paj två tusen

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:58 PM

LA no longer plays the heavy game, they have tons of speed now, fun team to watch actually.