70 replies to this topic

#41 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

Last nights game is an indication that what you suggest isn't the right thing to do.  Kane was rendered ineffective with O'Reilly and Sam.  As soon as he got back with Jack everything clicked.  Kane and Eichel should be on the same line from here on and I also think Kane needs to be signed to keep them together.  It's working.

Eichel has 5 goals in 21 games. It's not working.

#42 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

Eichel has 5 goals in 21 games. It's not working.

I don't think that is all Kane's fault.  And how many assists does Eich have on Kane goals?

#43 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

I don't think that is all Kane's fault.  And how many assists does Eich have on Kane goals?

I don't think it's Kane's "fault", but Kane with Eichel means Eichel shoots less, and with his shot, that's not a good thing for the team. Eichel's shooting is down 10% from his career average this year.

#44 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Can we get Duncan Keith for him? 

#45 Anordning

Anordning

Spelaren som ska namnges senare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

Here's my theory.  Which is mine.  Which is to say, I came up with it.  Kind of.  Except for the parts I got elsewhere.

Anyway, to wit:  Jack got his 8 x $10M because they wanted to lock him up early to be fair to him.  The management knew that a rough year was coming.  They want to develop Jack, and Sam, and Risto, and Girgs, and anyone else who didn't get the full development treatment on the farm.  As such, a down year (especially for those guys) was kind of inevitable. 

I think part of this involves the players learning how to pace themselves during the game so they have energy at the end, but also have an acceptably high level earlier in the game.  The first ten minutes last night they had a lot of jump, but they then they slowed down.  But then at the end they picked it up again.  They need to learn how to manage that when they're playing against NHL level competition.

I'm starting to look at this year as an extended, remedial NHL training camp for the Sabres.  It's not simply Housley instilling his system on the team, it's about getting some of the improperly developed players back to where they should be in terms of development.  This involves players, especially Jack and Sam, playing different roles on the team, learning how to pace themselves, learning how to play responsible defense, learning how to make the players around them better.

They excelled at that at the lower levels but instead of transitioning into the NHL as maybe 3rd line guys on a functional team, they were thrust into top line positions on a crappy team and asked to be their usually exceptional selves.  Exceptional at the junior, college, or AHL level does not instantly translate to NHL greatness.  Bylsma tried to ride them as the studs we pictured them to be, but didn't spend enough time developing their weak areas.

Enter JBot, who develops teams from the AHL up, and who instructs Housely to correct those deficiencies in the young stars already on the team.  They tell Eichel what he's in for, tell him he's probably in for an off year, and offer him a fair deal to lock him up, expecting that off year.  "It's all good, Jack.  You don't have to prove to us you're worth it, here you go, here's your contract.  But we're still a year or two off from being competitive, so your job this year isn't to score goals and win games, it's to learn how to play in the NHL the right way." 

So he passes because he's been told to pass.  He does a lot of other things that make him look like he's lollygagging, but it's in the interest of learning, of training, of playing the game the way he will need to play it when the Sabres are competitive again.  He's the cornerstone, he's not going anywhere.  He's very good right now, but to lead this team to the promised land, he's gonna have to be great, and he's going to need the help of the rest of the team, a handful of whom are also on a remedial de-Bylsmafication development plan.

JACK EICHEL WILL BE FINE.

SAMSON REINHART WILL BE FINE.

ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS WILL BE FINE.

RASMUS RISTOLAINEN WILL BE FINE.

THE BUFFALO SABRES WILL BE GREAT.

Edited by Doohickie, 21 November 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#46 Sabel79

Sabel79

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Other than the continued (by a large number of people) inexplicable optimism re: Zemgus, I'm picking up what you're putting down.

#47 Anordning

Anordning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

I have full faith and confidence in Gus.  He may not be top 6 material, but every team needs a grind line (like McCarty-Draper-Maltby in the early Wings Dynasty years).  I think he is destined for that role.

#48 Borkman

Borkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Other than the continued (by a large number of people) inexplicable optimism re: Zemgus, I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I don't think the sentiment is still there buuuuuutttt his only shining moment the last 3 seasons has been on Eichel's wing. It actually looks good and worked. So obviously the next thing to do was never play them together again.

I have full faith and confidence in Gus. He may not be top 6 material, but every team needs a grind line (like McCarty-Draper-Maltby in the early Wings Dynasty years). I think he is destined for that role.

Way to immediately and preemptively negate my point :(

#49 Anordning

Anordning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

You may be right, Ink.  I like him with Jack.  I just think that eventually he will slip down the depth chart when new talent from the A comes in.  Based on existing roster, I think Gus and Kane should toggle between Jack's wing and the third line.  Right now Kane is scoring but assuming he cools off, a 3rd line assignment puts his speed and physical game to good use and takes the scoring pressure off him somewhat.

Edited by Doohickie, 21 November 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#50 Bjorn Borg

Bjorn Borg

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

It is an interesting thing to ponder. Does Botterill in any sense think of Eichel as a "Murray guy"? Along with Bogosian, Kane, Lehner, O'Reilly and whoever. I mean, you inherit a Crosby or a McDavid or even a P. Kane or an Ovechkin and you want to take ownership of them. They are yours. What we have in Eichel is still a very open question. He's not in that grouping I just mentioned, barring a major leap in his play. So maybe JB would consider a trade that sets up his team for greater success than if an elite but not generational player sticks around and isn't good enough to carry a team the way a 10-million-dollar player necessarily has to (think how Dom had to carry the Sabres).

The contract offer from Botterill is becoming a head-scratcher to me.

I was going to bring Yzerman into it too.  Bear in mind that he was drafted in 1983, had early injury issues and was almost traded to Ottawa because he and Scotty Bowman didn't get along.  He didn't get the Wings to a Cup final until his 12th season, didn't win one until his 14th, but by then was a cornerstone of their dynasty.

I certainly don't want to wait that long, and Jack doesn't either.  But it's way to early to give up on him.  Neither is it ludicrous to talk about potential trade returns.I guess I'm just saying that in 1987 Wings fans were pretty disillusioned with the team, but if you asked the same fans in 1997 if they were happy with how things turned out, every single one would say yes.

The Yzerman comparison is a favourable one that I too indeed find myself gravitating towards sometimes.

Then I remember that Yzerman is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. To think Jack is somehow on that kind of trajectory is....I then feel embarrassed for my internal comparison of the two.

#51 Anordning

Anordning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

Yzerman was an amazing wunderkind in his early years but was one-dimensionally offense.  He eventually learned a two-way game (under Bowman) which made him one of the greatest players.  I have little doubt that Jack is potentially in that same pool.  He's talented as hell.  Will he be able to continue to learn to harness that talent, not just for scoring but to play a complete game?  Let's see how it plays out.

On second thought, let's say Jack isn't up there.  Just seeing that it took that long for one of the all-time greats to win a Cup simply points to how hard it an NHL championship really is.

#52 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

maybe we could trade jack for Tavares over on the Island. I think it is pretty evident that while he Sabres are giving jack a contract based on what he may or may not do at some point down the road (not doing too much now), Tavares continues to carry a team on his shoulders and make marginal players a million times better by playing on his line (see Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo). jack needs highly skilled linemates to be effective whereas Tavares can make just about anyone look good. we have the two slugs to prove it...

Edited by Sabre fan, 22 November 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#53 Jokertecken

Jokertecken

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Yzerman was an amazing wunderkind in his early years but was one-dimensionally offense.  He eventually learned a two-way game (under Bowman) which made him one of the greatest players.  I have little doubt that Jack is potentially in that same pool.  He's talented as hell.  Will he be able to continue to learn to harness that talent, not just for scoring but to play a complete game?  Let's see how it plays out.

On second thought, let's say Jack isn't up there.  Just seeing that it took that long for one of the all-time greats to win a Cup simply points to how hard it an NHL championship really is.

He has no effort. I don't care about anything else other than it's beyond evident that he doesn't give a ###### about anything or anyone other than himself. Hard to put your talent to use when you won't use it

Edited by WildCard, 22 November 2017 - 02:21 PM.

#54 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

maybe we could trade jack for Tavares over on the Island. I think it is pretty evident that while he Sabres are giving jack a contract based on what he may or may not do at some point down the road (not doing too much now), Tavares continues to carry a team on his shoulders and make marginal players a million times better by playing on his line (see Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo). jack needs highly skilled linemates to be effective whereas Tavares can make just about anyone look good. we have the two slugs to prove it...

Well, no need to trade Eichel for Tavares.  Tavares is signing in Buffalo next year anyway.

#55 SkuggaLiger

SkuggaLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

You want to trade a 21yr old locked up for 8 years, for a 27yr old ufa. No that's not a good idea, in fact it's what loser teams would do. Panic at the first time of trouble. Terrible trade idea.

#56 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

wasn't Rolston dumped for nolan?

maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
I can't remember, just trying to block out all the crap the last few years have had on the ice.

#57 Kruppstahl

Kruppstahl

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Hear me out now...don't get all hostile on me just yet. It's only an idea. 

I'm sure Jack Eichel would get some interest throughout the league and would create bidding wars.

The right GM would get a boatload for him. I'm not saying that Botterill is the right GM but he's all we've got... It would give the core a jolt, one which is much needed and would be an instant rebuild.  

I'm thinking of the Oilers/Vanek signing sheet the Sabres mistakenly made...wouldn't all those #1 draft choices have been better? It just wasn't obvious at the time because Drury and Briere had just left.

Jack is a talented guy but I think he tops out at Ryan Getzlaf territory. He is not a generational talent like McDavid who produces no matter what. He is unhappy losing with the Sabres and it shows in his expressions, posture and play on the ice. He is immature. It seems that there are some nights that Jack just skating around and would rather not be a Buffalo Sabre.

I think the Sabres have wrecked him anyway so for the right deal, why not just send him on his way? 

I agree with almost everything you write here and your observations about Eichel are pretty much spot-on.  Jack is not a generational talent to be compared to Crosby or McDavid.

He is a "very good player" to be compared to Getzlaf (as you mention) or Jason Spezza, or lots of other guys who are damned good hockey players but not difference makers all by themselves and who make everyone around them better, every time they go on the ice.

Sabres fans need to get used to that thought, b/c it impacts how you view him and what you do with him.

ALSO:  It is a mistake to value Eichel by the amount of pain and misery we fans went through to get him!  Unfortunately, that doesn't count for anything!  The pain we endured should make Eichel a mini Gretzky, but it doesn't work that way.

I would be open, for sure, to a deal involving Eichel, but it has to be the right mega deal.

To be honest, I don't think Jack would garner the interest around the league for the type of deal it would have to be, so this discussion is all moot for me.

At least so far.  His play could dramatically shoot up (he's young) and his value could as well; revisiting the issue then could be interesting.

The entire formula in Buffalo need to be completely re-worked.  We are no closer to the finish line now then we were the day we traded away Paul Gaustad for a 1st round draft pick.

If this team ever becomes "The Team" we have been waiting for, it will not look much like it does right now.

The rebuild has almost yet to begin.

It is going to be really interesting to see how far the Sabres F.O. is willing to go to try and make the team good, who will be shipped out, how dramatic the name changes will be....and if the current regime is even going to do the heavy lifting.

They may well get dumped before the heavy lifting begins.

Who knows.  It's all wide open right now and there is a very long way to go.

Edited by Kruppstahl, 22 November 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#58 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

You want to trade a 21yr old locked up for 8 years, for a 27yr old ufa. No that's not a good idea, in fact it's what loser teams would do. Panic at the first time of trouble. Terrible trade idea.

if the move is immediately followed by a long term deal it's not horrible and it improves the team now. Plus if it helps KO and MM be alot better it could be like picking up 3 players instead of just 1

#59 SkuggaLiger

SkuggaLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

First we traded gaustad for a 1st.

Second, anyone who doesn't think 30 teams would start a bidding war for Jack are just wrong. Again panic, I don't think Botterill will. Jack makes Kane better, not the other way around. This thread makes me angry because it's a panic thread. We aren't good, so trade Jack and start over. That's the gist and it's not a good idea. Not after 2 months of a real coach.

if the move is immediately followed by a long term deal it's not horrible and it improves the team now. Plus if it helps KO and MM be alot better it could be like picking up 3 players instead of just 1

Matt Moulson is done. That's the truth.

Kyle Okposo is coming back from serious injury. He's been much better. Considering he never plays with Eichel, not sure how bringing in Tavares who he won't play with makes it better.

Sorry but your points are soft and it's panic. Why don't we see what happens this full season with a real coach b4 torching Jack Eichel.

#60 ParkMeadow

ParkMeadow

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

I agree the talk about trading Eichel is all about frustration and panic by fans who have been patient for much longer than they deserve.

I think Eichel will be fine. 

I was just listening to the NHL station on Sirius/XM (the Power Play, I believe), and the discussion was all about the Oilers and their sucktitude. O'Sullivan, a recently retired player with some good and blunt comments, did not spare McDavid from his criticism.  He said that although his scoring pace looks good, he has been awful in his own end, often cruising and leaving his man undefended.  He said McDavid's defensive lapses have been a bad influence for the entire team, and that he needs to step up his game and be a real leader.  He cited examples of good leaders such as Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, and Matthews(!?) that McDavid should emulate. 

So there you go.  If even the next Generational Player has holes in his game at age 21, I think Jack can be cut a little slack.  Not to say that Eichel doesn't need a big wake up call (he certainly does), but talk of trading him away is premature, especially because I think it would be very hard to get fair value in return.

#61 LTS

LTS

I'll be positive for you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

I agree the talk about trading Eichel is all about frustration and panic by fans who have been patient for much longer than they deserve.

I think Eichel will be fine. 

I was just listening to the NHL station on Sirius/XM (the Power Play, I believe), and the discussion was all about the Oilers and their sucktitude. O'Sullivan, a recently retired player with some good and blunt comments, did not spare McDavid from his criticism.  He said that although his scoring pace looks good, he has been awful in his own end, often cruising and leaving his man undefended.  He said McDavid's defensive lapses have been a bad influence for the entire team, and that he needs to step up his game and be a real leader.  He cited examples of good leaders such as Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, and Matthews(!?) that McDavid should emulate. 

So there you go.  If even the next Generational Player has holes in his game at age 21, I think Jack can be cut a little slack.  Not to say that Eichel doesn't need a big wake up call (he certainly does), but talk of trading him away is premature, especially because I think it would be very hard to get fair value in return.

And it's not the first time O'Sullivan has said that about McDavid.  He usually includes Draisaitl in that comment as well.

#62 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Tavares has many great years left, and I also think they would get more then just him in a deal, like one of the islanders good young d-man. And yes Tavares makes any linemate better and that is something this team needs badly

#63 MODO Hockey

MODO Hockey

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

Tavares has many great years left, and I also think they would get more then just him in a deal, like one of the islanders good young d-man. And yes Tavares makes any linemate better and that is something this team needs badly

It would be interesting for sure to see Tavares take Eichles spot. Other than that i cant really say, Sabres are in such bad shape right now that anything sounds better. I just think we need to calm the fk down and realize were doomed this season, we just have to wait for better days, if there even are any.

Its just the way it is i believe.

#64 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Tavares still not re-signed... think about making him an offer but bkload one year to clear Moulson and Gorges contracts or offer them Sam and KO plus a second if he agrees to sign with Sabres??? not sure they would take it, maybe even one of the Euros in the system.

#65 Borkman

Borkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

Tavares still not re-signed... think about making him an offer but bkload one year to clear Moulson and Gorges contracts or offer them Sam and KO plus a second if he agrees to sign with Sabres??? not sure they would take it, maybe even one of the Euros in the system.

I don't think contracts like that are allowed anymore

#66 StuckinFL

StuckinFL

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

I don't think he needs to be traded. Benched for a stretch of games, yes, but not traded. 

#67 Fransk Kollektion

Fransk Kollektion

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

This article generated by the Toronto media, believe it or not.

Says Jack will be fine, with some stats to back it up.

http://www.sportsnet...ng-jack-eichel/

#68 blåbär

blåbär

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Well, no need to trade Eichel for Tavares.  Tavares is signing in Buffalo next year anyway.

Would trade O'Reilly, our 2019 1st and a prospect for him though :P

#69 Borkman

Borkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

This article generated by the Toronto media, believe it or not.

Says Jack will be fine, with some stats to back it up.

http://www.sportsnet...ng-jack-eichel/

Uhm yeah. Not sure what bozos have a problem with Jack. He may not be MC Jesus or Cindy (stupidest nickname ever) but he's our best player and a top 10 talent in the league.

#70 Kruppstahl

Kruppstahl

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

I said it before, he will probably end up being more into the 'very good but not elite' category and not worth tanking seasons for. And all i heard back was that it was ridiculous and that he was elite and at the McDavid/Matthews level because of his points last season after the injury.

Also never believed Sam was going to be anything great either and he would end up being more in the 'good but not great' category and not be what you need from a #2 overall pick.

But the tank was well worth it, they would never have been able to get to this level without it! Guhle and Pu and others are on their way......

I was a supporter of the tank, particularly in its second year when we got Eichel...it sounds like you were opposed to the idea from the beginning.

However, I agree with your takes here.  Eichel is going to be a notch down from "superstar" and Reinhart is a notch down from "really good player".  He is honestly a borderline NHL talent right now, but he is young.  He lacks a lot of really important things like drive, aggressiveness, playing with physicality, and most of all, speed.  He is a slow, passive player, lacking the raw talent to get away with those traits, even if he is talented.

Right now he is a borderline COHO type player in my mind; highly talented, achieved a lot of success at Junior level, very high expectations going into his NHL career...but ultimately a big disappointment.

Our struggles are directly connected to the fact that what was supposed to be the 3 big difference makers on the roster (ROR, Eichel, Reinhart) are not difference makers at all.

#71 Trettioåtta

Trettioåtta

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Uhm yeah. Not sure what bozos have a problem with Jack. He may not be MC Jesus or Cindy (stupidest nickname ever) but he's our best player and a top 10 talent in the league.

I mean he is 56th in the league this year and has never finished in the top 10. The fact is he isn't a top 10 player yet. But he is paid to be a top 5 player next year.