#41 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

http://buffalonews.c...st-cloud-state/

I was looking at this list of our prospects and Baker's depth chart and I came away further unimpressed with our pipeline.

1) The list of guys who will be NHL players is really small.  Bailey, Mittelstud, Guhle and likely Nylander and Asplund.  Not a long list.  

2) The list of guys who have a legit shot: Baptiste and Fasching, Borgen (?), Pu and Davidsson.  Malone might also eventually get a look as an 4th line grinder.  

3) Former top 3 rounds picks who we can probably write off already: Karabacek, Cornel, Hurley and Martin.

4) Potential surprises: Weissbach and maybe Fitzgerald. College FA CJ Smith is having a good start and might be a useful LW.

5) Are goalie prospects are in the ECHL (Johansson) and a tier 2 Finnish league (Luukkonen).    

Baker list 34 prospects on his depth chart. 

I agree that's its a little thin but I would also argue that its still in the top 10 of the league. 

It will really dry up next season once Nylander, Asplund, Mittelstadt, (Svechnikov?, and Guhle all make the Sabres.

We always want to compare to Toronto:

Here are there top prospects as per an article on Hockey Writers - order is debatable

1) Timmothy Liljegren - probably a NHL player but still considered a tire fire in his own end

2)Kasperi Kapanen – RW/LW  - will probably be a top 9 player for them soon

3) Carl Grundstrom – LW  probably will end up in the NHL playing but wouldn't consider him top 6 candidate

4)  Andreas Johnsson - LW   already 22 and is a steal for the 7th round but not again more of a bottom 6 guy

5) Andreas Borgman – LD  another 22 year old FA pickup, with Leafs and played in 4 games Jer

6) Calle Rosén – LD  23 year old, played 3 games for Leafs this season

7) Jeremy Bracco - RW  with the Marlies - a marginal NHL prospect at this point

8) Travis Dermott – LD  lots of high expectations for Dermott, playing with Marlies - could be top 4

IMO, I would take Mittelstadt, Nylander and Guhle over their entire prospect pool,

Edited by Crusader1969, 17 October 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#42 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

I will bet you money Botterill won't put that many rookies on a team

#43 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

sure, as long as its my Canadian dollars on par with your american! lol

I will bet that all 4 of those players (barring injury) are on the Sabres opening night roster.  

I think there is a chance Guhle and Nylander play enough games this year not to be eligible for rookie status next year. WHat is it 25 games?

#44 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

I will bet you money Botterill won't put that many rookies on a team

It’s highly unlikely that Asplund makes the Sabres in his first season in NA without spending some time in Roch. We’ll also have to see how the big prospects progress. However, Crusader is right about there being a large number of jobs available next season.

Without even knowing how this season will play out, there are 12 guys (RFAs and UFA’s) on the current Sabres roster including 7 forwards, 3 D and both goalies. I also wouldn’t put much stock in Moulson or Bogo returning next season either. Potentially all 14 of those jobs might be a available.

#45 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

I agree that's its a little thin but I would also argue that its still in the top 10 of the league. 

It will really dry up next season once Nylander, Asplund, Mittelstadt, (Svechnikov?, and Guhle all make the Sabres.

Here are there top prospects as per an article on Hockey Writers - order is debatable

1) Timmothy Liljegren - probably a NHL player but still considered a tire fire in his own end
3) Carl Grundstrom – LW  probably will end up in the NHL playing but wouldn't consider him top 6 candidate
4)  Andreas Johnsson - LW   already 22 and is a steal for the 7th round but not again more of a bottom 6 guy
5) Andreas Borgman – LD  another 22 year old FA pickup, with Leafs and played in 4 games Jer
8) Travis Dermott – LD  lots of high expectations for Dermott, playing with Marlies - could be top 4

IMO, I would take Mittelstadt, Nylander and Guhle over their entire prospect pool,

To the bolded: Boo.

#46 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

What have Nylander and Guhle shown to prove they are in any way superior to Kapanen and Lilijgren?

#47 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

So how many ufas are there?

#48 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

What have Nylander and Guhle shown to prove they are in any way superior to Kapanen and Lilijgren?

True, Id probably take Mittelstadt, Kapanen and Liljegren over the entire pool even if you put Nylander and Guhle on the Leafs.

but still give the nod to Nylander / Guhle over Kapanen / Liljegren  but i'll admit it could go either way. 

So how many ufas are there?

7 UFA's and 5 RFA's

#49 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

So he has potentially 7 spots if he let's all ufas go. Interesting

#50 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

So he has potentially 7 spots if he let's all ufas go. Interesting

Kane is the only one that I could see returning. 

Nolan, Josefson, Gorges, Faulk, Pouliot and Johnson are the others.

Griffith is an RFA and would doubt he gets a contract.

#51 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

gorges, Falk, pullout are gone

He'll retain a goalie I think

#52 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

To the bolded: Boo.

Im assuming they just miss the playoffs and have the lowest chances to win the lottery but finally the ping pong balls go their way and they get the 2nd overall pick

#53 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

Madness. I like Liljegren and Dermott way better than Guhle, and Borgman hasn't looked bad in the NHL so far for them. Kapanen is the best skater in that organization and will be a long-term middle six winger that drives us insane. Our Nylander is bleh and while Mittelstadt hyperbole jokes are all the rage, I can't see how he makes up for everything else. 

#54 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

Im assuming they just miss the playoffs and have the lowest chances to win the lottery but finally the ping pong balls go their way and they get the 2nd overall pick

Then I'm amending my statement to: yay!

#55 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Surprised no one is talking about Victor Olofsson. Kid is getting heavy praise from Baker and many others. He looks about ready to jump over to North America.

Kris Baker @SabresProspects
You'll have a hard time finding a better pure shooter than Olofsson among the Sabres prospects.

#56 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

Surprised no one is talking about Victor Olofsson. Kid is getting heavy praise from Baker and many others. He looks about ready to jump over to North America.

Kris Baker @SabresProspects
You'll have a hard time finding a better pure shooter than Olofsson among the Sabres prospects.

I quite literally mention him a lot.

Victor Olofsson, 1g,1a through 3games with Frolunda (SHL). I believe this is the last year of his SHL contract, so we will know if he will give NA a go by seasons end.

Case in point.
Olofsson is fast, a sniper, and smart. Cough winger for Jack cough

#57 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,593 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

Not criticizing the above conversation, but I sure hope this thread dies off soon.
It would mean we are talking about this season. I'm fed up with looking ahead.

#58 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

I quite literally mention him a lot.
Case in point. Olofsson is fast, a sniper, and smart. Cough winger for Jack cough

Nice!

Not criticizing the above conversation, but I sure hope this thread dies off soon.
It would mean we are talking about this season. I'm fed up with looking ahead.

Even if we win it all this year the future is so important. After all, Terry said CUPS not CUP ;)

#59 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Olofsson: 3g, 2a, 5points in 9games (He's 22 so we should expect he to be somewhat polished)

Asplund: 3g, 3a, 6points in 10 games (He's going to turn 20, so we should expect him to have a lot more growth, he is good though)

These are guys to watch. Asplund and Olofsson could both be here next year. I think Asplund is the better player but Olofsson has some winger skills. 

Edited by ShadowLiger, 18 October 2017 - 09:37 AM.