10 replies to this topic

#1 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

My current grill, a Master Forge from Lowe's is now 3 years old. It's fine and dandy on the outside but the important parts are slowly dying. I need new heat shields(x4) and at least 1 new burner tube, but I should probably get 4. That alone will cost me $140. I want stainless steel cooking grates, but there's nothing wrong with my enamel ones.

Should I make due for the rest of this year and probably all of next year and save up for a Weber? Or should I do the $140 in repairs and keep this one for another 4 years(hopefully)?

#2 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

I am a die hard Weber fan.  Bought my Gold C (equivalent to the Genesis II E-410 today) over 15 years ago.  I went for all the options and got the SS cover, SS grates and bars, and Corian side countertop space with the side burner .  I keep it outside on the deck uncovered year round.  Use it year round.  I have replaced a grand total of 0 parts in that time.  It is bullet proof.  Original igniter.  Original grates.  Original burner.  You get the idea.  The side burner does suck.  That is my one and only Weber complaint.  Just not enough BTU's to be useful outdoors in any more than the slightest breeze.  I polish the exterior once around Memorial Day and again around Halloween with stainless steel polish.

IF you are saving up for a Weber I'll throw two cautions at you.  1.  Buy stainless steel grates and bars.  The porcelin coated cast iron ones do not last for more than a few years. The stainless steel ones last for..... well, I don't know how long they last.  Mine are still rocking.   and 2.  Avoid the Weber spirit.  for two reasons.  First, the other Weber models have been historically made in the USA (Wisconsin if memory serves) and hopefully are still USA made, whereas the Spirit is made in China.  The second reason is because the Spirit is made of inferior materials and will last about as long as your Master Forge.  They are entry level designed to run with the grill you've already purchased.

And lastly, I get very predictable temperature control with mine.  Heating is not perfectly even across the entire cooking surface, but it is better than any other grill I have ever cooked on.

Weber is expensive once you leave the Spirit level of grills, but the one I own has outlived one conventional kitchen oven and is probably going to outlast its replacement too.

Here is an option...... grab a used Weber on Craigslist.  You can get a 15-20 yr old Weber for maybe $100.  Rebuild it with new burners and new grates and I bet you get another 15 years out of it for maybe $250 outlay.

#3 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

You were who I had in mind when I asked this. Thanks We've. I'd be saving for a 3 burner Genesis model.

I'm still open to more comments, boys and girls.

#4 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,128 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

Listen to We've. He's pre-med.

I did the whole rebuild deal with my Home Depot piece of garbage. It lasted a year, then I bought a Weber. Wish I would have just gone straight to the Weber. And I only have the little guy.

Hey We've. I've been wondering about this. Do you think a wok ring would work for the side burner in the wind?

Edited by SwampD, 09 August 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#5 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

I've got a Weber portable gas grill that is freaking awesome. The little $60 guy. I think it's called The Go Anywhere. Thing works for everything I do on a grill. Perfect for camping and hiking. Dogs, burgers, anything with direct heat. Just can't stand up a chicken in it.

#6 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

Listen to We've. He's pre-med.

I did the whole rebuild deal with my Home Depot piece of garbage. It lasted a year, then I bought a Weber. Wish I would have just gone straight to the Weber. And I only have the little guy.

Hey We've. I've been wondering about this. Do you think a wok ring would work for the side burner in the wind?

You smart summanabritch.  Never occurred to me.  I gotta try.

Not sure the one I have is tall enough though.

#7 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

Had a Weber for years and just replaced it. Had a model with side burner controls and the fire jumped from the grill to the side and melted my controls. Looked it up on the net and this is apparently a non uncommon problem with my model grill. Called Weber and sent them photos and they said it wasn't a problem with the design, but because I left the grill un attended for a few minutes as I took the food into the house. They said the replacements would be $140. I told them to..________!!!!

I went and bought a kitchenaid to replace it at HD. The new grill doesn't get as hot, but it comes with the side infrared burner which I am learning to love.

#8 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

I would hold on to your current one a little longer (at least through summer). I imagine towards the end of summer you'll start seeing grills go on sale as stores try to free up space for fall inventory.

#9 Lanny

Lanny

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

This thread had alot of grill discussion from a few years ago: 

https://forums.sabre...rills/?hl=grill

#10 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

I'm doing a fairly deep cleaning of my grill. Oh my God the rot! The heat shields are so incredibly ######.

That's it, $25 a week til I have my Weber. That's 28 weeks.

#11 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:43 AM

Save up and get the Weber.

Had a Char-Broil propane grill for over 10 years, replaced the heat shields, burners and grates probably 2 or 3 times.    One day I was grilling up some delicious steaks, flipped open the lid and the weight of the lid snapped a couple of bolts and the entire grill unit seperated from the stand... steak and hot grill parts went flying everywhere.    

Replaced it with a Weber NG , and it's fantastic.     Weber's are worth it (as is the NG option) don't waste your time replacing parts on an old grill.