96 replies to this topic

#81 GASabresIUFAN

GASabresIUFAN

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

I think we have to replace most of the Wilsons with players that could be more than a Wilson.
There is always the possibility of trades and waivers, but Larsson and Girgs and Pommers and ERod are under contract next year.
So logically it’s the other four who would go first to make room for fresh faces.

Every team has some Wilsons for cap reasons. You can’t consistently pay 4th liners $5 mill and compete long-term. Frankly of the signed Wilsons, I want to part with Larsson. We need better center play on the bottom 2 lines.

#82 PerreaultForever

PerreaultForever

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

Maybe there's no cap pressure if you like your team, but if you want to sign new players with better attitudes you need to create cap room. 

#83 GASabresIUFAN

GASabresIUFAN

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

Maybe there's no cap pressure if you like your team, but if you want to sign new players with better attitudes you need to create cap room.

You can remake a roster/lockerroom two ways. One swap veteran A for vet B (either through trade or by signing FAs) or by letting vets walk and replacing them with coachable kids who learned to win in the minors. I suspect we’ll see a lot more of plan B vs plan A going forward.

#84 SkuggaLiger

SkuggaLiger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

We will have cap room regardless. There aren't any high priced ufa's breaking the bank. Tavares won't hit the market and if he does, he's not picking buffalo

#85 PerreaultForever

PerreaultForever

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:29 AM

We will have cap room regardless. There aren't any high priced ufa's breaking the bank. Tavares won't hit the market and if he does, he's not picking buffalo

Green?  He's 32 but might fit in the system perfectly as a leader for the D. 

#86 Sabre1974

Sabre1974

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

Would like to see Wilson stay and Baptiste get a bottom 6 role full time, hopefully fasching and bailey also find spots but wonder if one will be used in a trade in the next 12 days?

#87 SkuggaLiger

SkuggaLiger

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

Green? He's 32 but might fit in the system perfectly as a leader for the D.

And we could sign him. He isn't getting a ton of money at age 32. Personally, I'm not interested in green.

He's worth what? 6 on the market.

Edited by SkuggaLiger, 14 February 2018 - 07:39 AM.

#88 Mick O’Manly

Mick O’Manly

Translate it yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,555 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

Green?  He's 32 but might fit in the system perfectly as a leader for the D.

Any interest in John Carlson?
Or is it generally accepted he re-signs with the Caps?

#89 GASabresIUFAN

GASabresIUFAN

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

The Caps can ill afford to let him go. That said, if he becomes available, I'd go for it. He won't come here (because Buffalo :w00t: ), but they should certainly inquire.

The defense is really shaping up for next season. Scandella, Risto, McCabe and Guhle are all under contract. Nelson (RFA), assuming this is now the real Nelson, looks like another piece for next season. That leaves one opening. (How Jbot disposes of Bogo and Baloo, if he can, will make for an interesting off-season discussion. I'd rather re-sign Falk and Antipin as the 7th and 8th guys.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN, 14 February 2018 - 10:16 PM.

#90 PerreaultForever

PerreaultForever

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

If you are really trying to fully bring in Housley's system, you can't have enough good D men and the D has to be a core strength. It's improved, but if it added Green (or Carlson but unlikely) and Dahlin (dream) would anyone not think we had a solid playoff shot next year?  

#91 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,699 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

If you are really trying to fully bring in Housley's system, you can't have enough good D men and the D has to be a core strength. It's improved, but if it added Green (or Carlson but unlikely) and Dahlin (dream) would anyone not think we had a solid playoff shot next year?  

Love the optimism but...

#92 GASabresIUFAN

GASabresIUFAN

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:13 PM

I would love to see consistently decent hockey so that I don’t have to fast forward through the games.

#93 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:09 AM

Love the optimism but...

Big turnarounds do happen. And the better this team finishes the season, the smaller that turnaround will need to be. I think playoffs are unlikely, but I do know I would want Botterill to, at summer’s end, believe the team he’s sending out there does have a shot at making it.

#94 Sabre1974

Sabre1974

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

Big turnarounds do happen. And the better this team finishes the season, the smaller that turnaround will need to be. I think playoffs are unlikely, but I do know I would want Botterill to, at summer’s end, believe the team he’s sending out there does have a shot at making it.

Would love a chance at trying to land Jack Hughes next year but we cant keep doing this, we have to start winning more and hopefully having a chance at the playoffs

#95 Mick O’Manly

Mick O’Manly

Translate it yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,555 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Holy ######!

Did you guys realize the Sabres lost 20 of Nathan Beaulieu’s first 22 games here?
A recent 5 and 4 run has pushed us to a 9 and 31 record overall with him in the lineup.

#96 Crusader1969

Crusader1969

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

Would love a chance at trying to land Jack Hughes next year but we cant keep doing this, we have to start winning more and hopefully having a chance at the playoffs

if they do have a chance, hopefully its less than a 3% chance.

Holy ######!

Did you guys realize the Sabres lost 20 of Nathan Beaulieu’s first 22 games here?
A recent 5 and 4 run has pushed us to a 9 and 31 record overall with him in the lineup.

Ive said it before, he is the number 1 guy i do not want on next years roster.

#97 GASabresIUFAN

GASabresIUFAN

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

if they do have a chance, hopefully its less than a 3% chance.

Ive said it before, he is the number 1 guy i do not want on next years roster.

The funny thing is I think this kid still has real potential.  He'll likely be our 7th or 8th D next season, so you won;t have to worry about seeing him to much unless he improves like Nelson has.