Photo

Next Sabres Captain

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

Poll: Captain

Pick one

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

I know it's a message board, and chattering and spit balling ideas are what get done around here, but the idea of anyone other than Eichel as the team's next captain is ludacrisp. It's over-thinking the matter, and being too cute by more than half.

I'm not even 100% convinced it will work. Point of the matter is: It has to be him, and now. For good or for ill, it's gotta be him. This is his team. And I think it's evident that he wants it.

Respectfully disagree. Key word team. This is a team. EICHEL is not the team.

#82 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

I want to see Jack finish a season without regretting quitting on it before naming him captain of anything.

#83 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

I want to see Jack finish a season without regretting quitting on it before naming him captain of anything.

Exactly. 

#84 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

SGM?

#85 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

See I view his rebellion as being a leader. Leaders shouldn't follow a system that clearly isn't working it. What Bylsma was doing was garbage. How Jack rebelled was immature, but the act of doing it was not. I think we need to recognize that if Jack is named captain, he'll need to grow into it. I believe that growing into it means Jack maturing. Others can help him on that path but he's the guy to walk it.

SGM?

Sex, guns, and mackerel

#86 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Agreed. Even more so when reading the bolded in Gandalf's voice.

#87 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

Lol see that's proper YouTube use right there.

Edited by ShadowLiger, 12 July 2017 - 07:50 PM.

#88 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews loves money more than hockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

I think you give it to the guy who you want the team to look up to.... giving the C to somebody can change the way they play, their mannerisms, how much they lead.     

That said, give it Eichel now and I think we'll see some positive results in his consistency, play away from the puck, interviews, etc...

#89 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

I think you give it to the guy who you want the team to look up to.... giving the C to somebody can change the way they play, their mannerisms, how much they lead.
That said, give it Eichel now and I think we'll see some positive results in his consistency, play away from the puck, interviews, etc...

That's what I'm thinking.

#90 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

...and ROR is hard enough on himself without shouldering the added responsibility of Captain... he might need professional mental help if he has a bad game.

Edited by pi2000, 12 July 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#91 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

...and ROR is hard enough on himself without shouldering the added responsibility of Captain... he might need professional mental help if he has a bad game.

I want to stress that this is through seven different grapevines, and is very vague, and should be taken as such - with the smallest grain of salt in the world. But I've heard through seven grapevines that someone who knows ROR said to someone to someone etc. that our perception of his obsessive drive to better himself to the point where it's too far is true, using the words "like, he's messed up" to describe it. 

We love you just the way you are, ROR.

#92 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

ROR is amazing and I'd give him a hug if I could. Glad he has the drive but mental health is important.

#93 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

I want to stress that this is through seven different grapevines, and is very vague, and should be taken as such - with the smallest grain of salt in the world. But I've heard through seven grapevines that someone who knows ROR said to someone to someone etc. that our perception of his obsessive drive to better himself to the point where it's too far is true, using the words "like, he's messed up" to describe it.

We love you just the way you are, ROR.

Damn.

Maybe his father's serial adoption of multiple foster sons took a toll on ol' Snook's self-esteem.

(That might be the worst thing I've ever thought, let alone typed here. It is intended as a joke - a rough one in the vein of Louis CK.)

#94 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

I've been on the fence. Leaning towards ROR simply because I feel he has the room to grow into the role. I could also see it as a plus for Jack. I could also see ROR at C bring good for Jack as well.

#95 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

Again, I don't want anyone coming to conclusions about the state of ROR's mental health, for his own personal privacy and to avoid the libel stuff yaddah yaddah. Not saying anyone has done that or said anything out of line here. I probably just shouldn't have said anything at all.

#96 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

Again, I don't want anyone coming to conclusions about the state of ROR's mental health, for his own personal privacy and to avoid the libel stuff yaddah yaddah. Not saying anyone has done that or said anything out of line here. I probably just shouldn't have said anything at all.

ROR is fine. Everyone has baggage. We overcome it by acknowledging it. We move on. We win Cups. Right?

#97 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

ROR is fine. Everyone has baggage. We overcome it by acknowledging it. We move on. We win Cups. Right?

All the Cups.

#98 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

All the Cups.

Every single friggin one.

#99 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:40 PM

It's interesting to hear that he's obsessive about improving himself, but I'm not concerned about his mental stability..... maybe if he becomes Caption tho, haha.     

I'm going to share some of my personal experience....   I too had a similar mental state when I played competitively... it certainly had it's benefits but looking back I feel like I alienated some teammates because I was overly focused on my own play and less about how others were handling things... especially as a returning player in my junior/senior years.   Sleepless nights thinking about what I did wrong on the ice, visualizing how to improve things in my head pretty much all day long, blaming myself for losses to the nth degree.  

My parents taught me that anything is possible if you just worked hard enough at it, so I felt like I could always be better if I just worked more, spent more and more time on it to the point of it becoming an obsession.    Shouldering the blame for a loss because I didn't work hard enough at something that might have resulted in a difference making goal or preventing a goal.  Then spend days on end obsessing about how to fix it.   I'm sure a lot of players are that way to a degree.     When it's your job and you're at the rink every single day for seasons on end, it's pretty much all you think about all the time and it defines who you are.., it's what you do, what you're there for... your sense of self worth revolves around it entirely so you better work at it as hard as you can, or quit the game and do something else.  

#100 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

It's interesting to hear that he's obsessive about improving himself, but I'm not concerned about his mental stability..... maybe if he becomes Caption tho, haha.

I'm going to share some of my personal experience.... I too had a similar mental state when I played competitively... it certainly had it's benefits but looking back I feel like I alienated some teammates because I was overly focused on my own play and less about how others were handling things... especially as a returning player in my junior/senior years. Sleepless nights thinking about what I did wrong on the ice, visualizing how to improve things in my head pretty much all day long, blaming myself for losses to the nth degree.

My parents taught me that anything is possible if you just worked hard enough at it, so I felt like I could always be better if I just worked more, spent more and more time on it to the point of it becoming an obsession. Shouldering the blame for a loss because I didn't work hard enough at something that might have resulted in a difference making goal or preventing a goal. Then spend days on end obsessing about how to fix it. I'm sure a lot of players are that way to a degree. When it's your job and you're at the rink every single day for seasons on end, it's pretty much all you think about all the time and it defines who you are.., it's what you do, what you're there for... your sense of self worth revolves around it entirely so you better work at it as hard as you can, or quit the game and do something else.

I just shuddered at the thought of you recording a negative +/- one game... :P

I kid, of course. Thanks for sharing this experience and others. You and others often make me wish I had played.

#101 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:18 PM

Lol see that's proper YouTube use right there.

I'll reserve judgment until I finish watching the video.

#102 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

I'll reserve judgment until I finish watching the video.

:lol:

#103 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

ROR crashed into a Tim Ho''s.

If Jack is the future, he is the C.

#104 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

I'm going to share some of my personal experience....   I too had a similar mental state when I played competitively... it certainly had it's benefits but looking back I feel like I alienated some teammates because I was overly focused on my own play and less about how others were handling things... especially as a returning player in my junior/senior years.   Sleepless nights thinking about what I did wrong on the ice, visualizing how to improve things in my head pretty much all day long, blaming myself for losses to the nth degree.  

My parents taught me that anything is possible if you just worked hard enough at it, so I felt like I could always be better if I just worked more, spent more and more time on it to the point of it becoming an obsession.    Shouldering the blame for a loss because I didn't work hard enough at something that might have resulted in a difference making goal or preventing a goal.  Then spend days on end obsessing about how to fix it.   I'm sure a lot of players are that way to a degree.     When it's your job and you're at the rink every single day for seasons on end, it's pretty much all you think about all the time and it defines who you are.., it's what you do, what you're there for... your sense of self worth revolves around it entirely so you better work at it as hard as you can, or quit the game and do something else.

Maybe this is what it takes to be great at anything which is why I am not.

#105 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Pretty sure Toronto is going without a C this year 

If the Sabres do that, their next captain will be Casey Mittlestadt.

#106 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

Well Gionta in an interview today said Eichel is ready to be Captain. So there's that.

#107 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

Link? I'd like to listen to that.

#108 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

Well Gionta in an interview today said Eichel is ready to be Captain. So there's that.

d4rk's head just asploded.

#109 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,464 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

d4rk's head just asploded.

dWEyA.gif

#110 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

Make it so

#111 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Make it so

I kinda wanna go back and rewatch the next generation now

#112 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:00 AM

Go with Voyager

0042820c4fb88e75ec3c328477237757--jeri-r

#113 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

I always thought Piccard was a hottie 

Jean-Luc-Picard-Day-Drink-Recipe.jpg

#114 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

Netflix has all the series. The past....5 years or so I've been falling asleep to Star Trek every night. I rotate through each series. I'm probably on my 4th re-watch of them all at this point.

#115 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Go with Voyager

that picture has to be ... enhanced.

#116 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

Since no one can settle this and the discussion has certainly drifted (Ink, they are fake, eh) I will end the discussion now.

I will come out of retirement and captain the Sabres this coming season, but only this one time.  OK.

#117 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

Since no one can settle this and the discussion has certainly drifted (Ink, they are fake, eh) I will end the discussion now.

I will come out of retirement and captain the Sabres this coming season, but only this one time.  OK.

I thought it was settled that Eichel will be captain and we decided to debate more important matters such as Jeri Ryan's....assets?

#118 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

that picture has to be ... enhanced.

Nah just the chesticles...

#119 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

I will come out of retirement and captain the Sabres this coming season, but only this one time. OK.

I'm not sure what galaxy here orbital satellites originated but they are all good in my book

https://vignette4.wi...=20170530064534

#120 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

I always thought Piccard was a hottie 

Jean-Luc-Picard-Day-Drink-Recipe.jpg

Only guy in history to successfully pull off the hair half-ring look?

Edited by sabills, 14 July 2017 - 10:22 AM.