212 replies to this topic

#1 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,611 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

The Sabres released their roster for their development camp today and some old friends on the the list. It includes Bailey and Baptiste, along with the entire 16 & 17 draft classes.

The Schedule

https://sabresdigita...nt-camp-roster/

The Roster

https://sabresmedia....camp-roster.pdf

#2 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

no Ullmark?

#3 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,497 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

no Ullmark?

Can a player on a 1 way contract be considered a "prospect" available for development camp?

#4 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Excited to have some confirmation that Oksari Laaksonen is a real person and not an elaborate practical joke on the league.

And to find out how tall he really is.

#5 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

Good looking forward prospect depth on that roster.

If Botterill is able to find a way to get the current roster forward group playing to their potential, we are going to be looking at very good things from a forward standpoint for years to come.

#6 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

Anybody going to any of this?  I had booked off this weekend expecting it to be the prospect game.  We're going up to Niagara Falls now for the weekend but may cross the boarder to check out a bit.

#7 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

Middlestat wearing 77. How does this make us feel?

#8 TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Like when Jack was wearing 41, it has no merit on anything really.  He'll have his own number in two seasons once he turns pro.  By that point we'll be done with Moulson, Pominville, and a few others.  

#9 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

So they are having dev camp during Taste of Buffalo... can't tell if this is smart or extremely dumb

The Sabres released their roster for their development camp today and some old friends on the the list. It includes Bailey and Baptiste, along with the entire 16 & 17 draft classes.

The Schedule

https://sabresdigita...nt-camp-roster/

The Roster

https://sabresmedia....camp-roster.pdf

Anyone else notice they listed Mittelstadt as 6'1"... wonder if they actually took metrics on these kids before posting this or just went off of the internet. 

Excited to have some confirmation that Oksari Laaksonen is a real person and not an elaborate practical joke on the league.

And to find out how tall he really is.

He's 6'1" his Euro team confirmed it after the draft. 

no Ullmark?

We have 4 goalies already and probably Dev camp wouldn't help him much. Also he could be on his honeymoon so got an exemption, didn't he just get marrieD?

#10 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Can a player on a 1 way contract be considered a "prospect" available for development camp?

I'm too lazy to scan through the whole thing, but I imagine they're still sticking to only having guys who are on their ELCs and the drafted guys?

#11 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

Love that number

#12 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

Sneaky Casey?

#13 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

We drafted a 40yr old?

#14 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,745 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:13 AM

We drafted a 40yr old?

Esposito is a lot older than 40

#15 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

By my count only 3 players have worn 77 in Sabres history: Kulikov, Gratton, and Pierre Turgeon.

Hopefully MIddlestat is most like Turgeon.

Yes I realize development camp numbers mean nothing but, hey, it's the off-season.

Edited by mustacheofgod, 07 July 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#16 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,744 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

Paging 11 to the crazy number, I mean, development camp thread.

#17 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,611 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

3 on 3 Tournament will be streamed on Sabres.com

#18 pi2000

pi2000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

56kbps/8fps

#19 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,611 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

So they are having dev camp during Taste of Buffalo... can't tell if this is smart or extremely dumb
Anyone else notice they listed Mittelstadt as 6'1"... wonder if they actually took metrics on these kids before posting this or just went off of the internet. 
He's 6'1" his Euro team confirmed it after the draft. 
We have 4 goalies already and probably Dev camp wouldn't help him much. Also he could be on his honeymoon so got an exemption, didn't he just get marrieD?

I'm 5'11" and Mittelstadt was taller than me.

#20 GoPuckYourself

GoPuckYourself

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

I don't see it

#21 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

I'm there... I'm always there...

#22 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,413 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:02 AM

:ph34r:

#23 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,744 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

:flirt:

#24 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,987 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

I want Glotov to become an NHLer so bad, he's so funny.

#25 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

So I watched some of the first session but my kids were driving me nuts so not much drew my attention.

Dropped them at the sandpit with their mom so I watched the second closer. Holy hell does nylander have skill. He was the most skilled player in either group today and it wasn't even close. What a sniper. If he can get his strength up to an NHL level he will be a star. Middlestadt must of had the nerves early because he was brutal the first half hour. Fumbling easy passes and losing the puck to himself. Settled in nicely after and made a perfectly pass and received it for an unreal goal near the end. He's looking like a reinhart type guy. His vision seemed to be on full display during 2 on 1 drills. But during skill type drills his shot was nowhere near nylander. His skating was better than reinhart at his first development camp for sure but he wasn't the fastest guy out there either. Such a small impression but thought I'd share what I saw. Would of liked to see Casey in a game setting as I think that's where we will see his vision which should be elite.

#26 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,929 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thanks

#27 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,497 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

So I watched some of the first session but my kids were driving me nuts so not much drew my attention.
Dropped them at the sandpit with their mom so I watched the second closer. Holy hell does nylander have skill. He was the most skilled player in either group today and it wasn't even close. What a sniper. If he can get his strength up to an NHL level he will be a star. Middlestadt must of had the nerves early because he was brutal the first half hour. Fumbling easy passes and losing the puck to himself. Settled in nicely after and made a perfectly pass and received it for an unreal goal near the end. He's looking like a reinhart type guy. His vision seemed to be on full display during 2 on 1 drills. But during skill type drills his shot was nowhere near nylander. His skating was better than reinhart at his first development camp for sure but he wasn't the fastest guy out there either. Such a small impression but thought I'd share what I saw. Would of liked to see Casey in a game setting as I think that's where we will see his vision which should be elite.

Thanks for the report.

If Mittelstadt had Nylander's hands he wouldn't've been available at 8. Very fine w/ 8 overall being (ideally) Reinhart. Had we gotten Sam @ 8 he'd be the 2nd favorite guy on this team.

#28 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,929 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

There is nothing I don't like about this report on the Sabres website.

Positivity was one of the first characteristics mentioned by multiple players who were asked to describe the first day of camp, with coaches and management making a concerted effort to keep the players loose and relaxed. It helps that the on-ice sessions are being run by new Rochester Americans coach Chris Taylor, who assistant general manager Randy Sexton called "one of the most positive professionals" he's ever been around.

Clearly, Guhle sees an opportunity to learn from the new coach of the Sabres, as his face lit up when he was asked about his initial reaction to the hiring.

"I was … not relieved, but pretty excited," he said. "Maybe it could benefit me possibly. You know the way he coached the players in Nashville, they're all smart and they're all good offensively. I'm sure he could teach me a lot."

Guhle was one of a handful of players who have already added size this summer, along with Justin Bailey and Alexander Nylander. Guhle said he's already closing in on 200 pounds, which was the mark he hoped to reach by training camp.

Bailey, meanwhile, is up over 215.

"Being a bigger player, last year, there were times where I would beat a guy, but maybe I'd get nudged a little bit and get knocked off my skates," he said. "I'm focusing on bulking up, but also keeping that speed that separates me from other guys."

#29 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

nice to hear that Guhle, Bailey, and most importantly Nylander all bulking up. Willie will be a beast if he puts on the weight and gets stronger on his feet...

#30 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,958 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

nice to hear that Guhle, Bailey, and most importantly Nylander all bulking up. Willie will be a beast if he puts on the weight and gets stronger on his feet...

William Nylander plays for Toronto. As for his brother Alex, he's just got such a long way to go. Last season he was invisible in the A.

#31 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:27 AM

William Nylander plays for Toronto. As for his brother Alex, he's just got such a long way to go. Last season he was invisible in the A.

yep sorry I meant Alex of course...and yes he was pretty quiet last season but clearly bulking up should make a world of difference

#32 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,958 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

yep sorry I meant Alex of course...and yes he was pretty quiet last season but clearly bulking up should make a world of difference

I really want to believe this

#33 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,151 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Good report.  thanks.

#34 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

I really want to believe this

want to believe it too and do think it will make a difference because it is pretty obvious the kid has talent and the right pedigree and expect bigger and better things from him this year

#35 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

19 players at development camp are older than Jack Eichel. Chew on that tidbit for a minute.

For the matter, 13 players at development camp are older than Reinhart. 

#36 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Uhh, Nylander will be fine. So will Mittelstadt. 18 and 19 year olds typically aren't NHL ready. Lots of development still needed.

#37 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,958 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

Uhh, Nylander will be fine. So will Mittelstadt. 18 and 19 year olds typically aren't NHL ready. Lots of development still needed.

I feel better...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qzeDag6gRSw

#38 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,929 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

Good interview with Bailey.  Looks like he's trying his best to be a leader among the prospects.

#39 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the report.
If Mittelstadt had Nylander's hands he wouldn't've been available at 8. Very fine w/ 8 overall being (ideally) Reinhart. Had we gotten Sam @ 8 he'd be the 2nd favorite guy on this team.

Mittelstadt has more flash than Reinhart, though. Reinhart is even more of a cerebral player.

#40 TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen looks to have a good handle on athleticism, movement laterally and a good blocker / glove.  I was thoroughly impressed even against a group of piers.  He looks like a better overall prospect than Johansson.  It sucks about Petersen, but he could make us forget about him in time.  Ullmark / Luukkonen sounds like a beastly pair of Scandinavian stoppers.