Photo

Vanek: Is this anything?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Woulda been a better left winger for Eichel than Girgensons...

But if the plan is to have him w/ a finisher already in the system such as Okposo or Nylander (not saying it is, but it would seem plausible) then Vanek would be less useful than putting Girgensons, Pouliot, or one of last year's kids on his other wing.

#122 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

But if the plan is to have him w/ a finisher already in the system such as Okposo or Nylander (not saying it is, but it would seem plausible) then Vanek would be less useful than putting Girgensons, Pouliot, or one of last year's kids on his other wing.

Makes sense.

#123 ericcomposer72

ericcomposer72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

What's more important to the Sabres, getting Eichel's contract right or having Vanek for 1 year?

Bet we coulda had both. Eichel is just going to wait Botterill out and get whatever he demands, so the delay will not have made a difference.

But just to clarify: my Vanek excitement was more out of nostalgia than team need  ;)

Edited by ericcomposer72, 02 September 2017 - 11:09 PM.

#124 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

Eichel is not doing that. Both sides continue to report good negotiations and progress.

#125 ericcomposer72

ericcomposer72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

Of course they report that. If they weren't go well, it wouldn't be in anybody's interest to admit that.

#126 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

I'm actually starting to like what Vancouver is doing.

Horvat, Petersson, Boeser, Juolevi, and Stetcher is a pretty damn good young core to start building around. And they still have 1 or 2 high picks left, at least. Some lottery luck and that is just as good as what the Sabres were looking at coming out of the rebuild. At least, if the lotto luck happens this year and gets them Dahlin or Svechnikov, not sure what 2019 looks like. 

They need to be smart in other areas though, and I don't think they've shown that ability yet (Eriksson's contract, yikes...)

#127 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,760 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Is Horvat signed yet?  Seems to be conflicting reports out of Van City.

#128 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

I'm actually starting to like what Vancouver is doing.
Horvat, Petersson, Boeser, Juolevi, and Stetcher is a pretty damn good young core to start building around. And they still have 1 or 2 high picks left, at least. Some lottery luck and that is just as good as what the Sabres were looking at coming out of the rebuild. At least, if the lotto luck happens this year and gets them Dahlin or Svechnikov, not sure what 2019 looks like. 

They need to be smart in other areas though, and I don't think they've shown that ability yet (Eriksson's contract, yikes...)

They don't have an Eichel or anyone close, though. Dahlin I guess would get them the defensive equivalent, but that's unlikely to happen.

#129 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

They don't have an Eichel or anyone close, though. Dahlin I guess would get them the defensive equivalent, but that's unlikely to happen.

For sure, they're like the Sabres as soon as the 2014 draft ended, without the "likely worst team in the league with last place guaranteeing McEichel" part. 

I'm interested to see Svechnikov develop this year, I think that guy has "best Russian to enter league since Malkin" potential. 

I remember people being very high on Veleno too, but that has tailed off. 

But they looked in a much worse way about a year and a half ago, versus now, with regards to their prospect pool. 

#130 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Agreed.

Also, how good is Dahlin? Whoever gets him is getting Karlsson.

...or better....