48 replies to this topic

#41 Dank Dangleson

Dank Dangleson

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

I don't think Borgen or Fitzgerald are worth losing sleep over. Are either in their top 15 prospects?

I would say Borgen is...The Hockey News has him as the Sabres' 7th best prospect, #2 among defensemen.

He was also voted as a top-31 NCAA player this season by the college scouts at SB Nation College Hockey...above Vecchione, Brickley, Pionk and some other high quality players.

https://www.sbncolle...ey-novak-borgen

31. Will Borgen, Defenseman, St. Cloud State(Buffalo Sabres)

After a breakout freshman year, Borgen had a bit of a difficult transition in his sophomore season. With the departure of all-American and Hobey Baker finalist Ethan Prow on the SCSU blue line, Borgen got off to a very tough start to the season by trying to do a little too much of everything. He settled down as the season progressed and played much better by letting the game come to him rather than trying to force plays

Borgen’s skating ability and athleticism is excellent for a defender that plays a physical, defense-first style of hockey. He’s able to win one-on-one battles for the puck and skate his way out of tight situations to start transition offense. He sometimes struggles with discipline, but his refusal to not back down from opponents, even if it means sometimes crossing the line, likely won’t be seen as a negative in the pro game. He doesn’t project to provide much offense at the pro level, but he moves the puck well enough that he won’t be a liability. He has potential as a good second pairing defenseman at the NHL level that provides a nice stay-at-home complement to a more offensive-minded defenseman.

Edited by Dank Dangleson, 10 July 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#42 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

I don't know where else to put this, so I figured it at least relates to this discussion...
Will Borgen told Paul Hamilton that he plans on staying in school all 4 years to finish his degree because, "You can't play hockey forever."
Also, Casey Fitzgerald is related to Ryan Fitzgerald, Kevin and Jimmy Hayes, Matthew Tkachuk, and his father Tom Fitzgerald is the AGM of the Devils...he's also good friends with Jimmy Vesey.
I'm not the least bit concerned about Casey Mittelstadt getting anywhere close to free agency, but I think there's a good possibility we could lose Borgen and/or Fitzgerald.
Borgen I'm almost resigned to the fact that he'll be gone after reading that interview, but Fitzgerald I at least hold out hope that he knows and thinks highly of Botterill through his father.
Losing one would hurt, losing both would be devastating...I'd rather keep Borgen, even though Fitzgerald was drafted higher.
(Borgen spoke of Jack Ahcan, who I wanted the Sabres to take in the 7th round...that could've helped sway him to stay with Buffalo, or at least it wouldn't have hurt.)
*As for Will Butcher, I'd love to get our hands on him...as I posted before, Botterill and the Penguins were consistently pulling in NCAA free agents and I hope that trend continues with the Sabres. (Daniel Brickley, too!)http://www.wgr550.co...llege-important

Even if Borgen stays all 4 years, the Sabres still have the ability to sign him (should they want to) after that senior season is done & free him of 1 year off his ELC. There is a large value to that which all but a handful of college players find worth giving up FA for.

#43 Dank Dangleson

Dank Dangleson

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Even if Borgen stays all 4 years, the Sabres still have the ability to sign him (should they want to) after that senior season is done & free him of 1 year off his ELC. There is a large value to that which all but a handful of college players find worth giving up FA for.

Like everyone says...if they get that far, there's no point in them not going to free agency.

Cal Petersen signed with the Kings for 2 years, so he got a year taken off an ELC as a free agent.

I just don't think it's something that should be ignored.

#44 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,132 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

And if he's that big of a student and has been hitting the classes hard, he could graduate after three years. That it he can finish during the summer. Leaving school a year early isn't that much of an obstacle for for degree.

#45 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

Like everyone says...if they get that far, there's no point in them not going to free agency.
Cal Petersen signed with the Kings for 2 years, so he got a year taken off an ELC as a free agent.
I just don't think it's something that should be ignored.

No, he got the standard 2 year deal players his age get when signing an ELC. He got no reduction in term by signing for '17-'18.

#46 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

Doesn't project to provide much offence at the pro level... then he isn't in my top 4.

#47 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

I have severe prospect fatigue.

I just don't care.

#48 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews fan club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

I think he'd be great in Rochester. Could develop into a Beauchamin type guy down the road.

#49 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

What?

For me, It's about the relationship their scoring has to the rest of the team