Photo

Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

• Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

#81 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

If the Sabres bridge-deal Eichel, the only poster here who will have a bigger tantrum than me is ... who? Blue? It'll be a helluva competition, that's for sure.

Yours can't even make it into the same area code as where mine will go. :P

Edited by Taro T, 29 June 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#82 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

Hamilton on GR today saying Eichel considers himself as good as McDavid, and that he might pass on a deal this year so he can show he's worth more. Then Hammy says we might have to pay him around $9MM/yr. But Eichel thinks he's at McDavid level, why would he take anything less than $13.5MM.yr?

#83 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Hamilton on GR today saying Eichel considers himself as good as McDavid, and that he might pass on a deal this year so he can show he's worth more. Then Hammy says we might have to pay him around $9MM/yr. But Eichel thinks he's at McDavid level, why would he take anything less than $13.5MM.yr?

Well he's not even close to that level so it could get ugly

#84 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

If he scores 100 points and gets the Sabres to the 2nd round he can have $13.5 million. Also, Paul Hamilton can eat a bag of ######. He knows nothing about anything.

#85 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

If he scores 100 points and gets the Sabres to the 2nd round he can have $13.5 million. Also, Paul Hamilton can eat a bag of ######. He knows nothing about anything.

Bet he knows a lot about eating a bag of ###### though

#86 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Bet he knows a lot about eating a bag of ###### though

Well you don't get that way eating diet ######

#87 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Im sorry I can't hear Paul over the sound of his ###### hit piece on Sam Reinhart. 

#88 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Im sorry I can't hear Paul over the sound of his ###### hit piece on Sam Reinhart. 

He brings that up constantly by the way. Every single time he talks about Reinhart, without fail he'll throw that in there about how people just didn't understand the article 

#89 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

He brings that up constantly by the way. Every single time he talks about Reinhart, without fail he'll throw that in there about how people just didn't understand the article 

I read literally every day for work and fun. I not only understand his article, I understand why it was complete and utter garbage using some ###### math and some even bigger ###### conclusions. He mixed variables, ignored alternatives, and shoe-horned his narrative into a dataset that did not and does not support it.

Any time anywhere Paul, I will sit down and explain in detail why your article was garbage. 

Edited by ShadowLiger, 29 June 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#90 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

Hmmm.

On the one hand: Concerning.

OTOH, Hamilton has all but squandered any credibility he has on such matters.

I read literally every day for work and fun. I not only understand his article, I understood why it was complete and utter garbage using some ###### math and some even bigger ###### conclusions. He mixed variables, ignored alternatives, and shoe-horned his narrative into a dataset that did not and does not support it.

Any time anywhere Paul, I will sit down and explain in detail why your article was garbage. 

I have a covenant with 2 of my buddies: If and when(ever) we saw Hamilton out and about, we are going to address him in a loud voice (like, from a hollered distance) so as to ask why he hates Sam Reinhart so much. WHY?! It'll be a hoot.

"PAUL! PAUL! WHY DO YOU HATE SAM REINHART SO MUCH?! WHY?! WHY, PAUL?!"

#91 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews loves money more than hockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

Paul ###### Hamilton.   Why is this guy still around?   

Is this purely conjecture based on Eichel being a proud athlete?   Of course Eichel thinks he's as good as McDavid, or better, it's a character trait all great athletes posses, it's what makes them great.    But to assume he's going to pass on a potential deal this summer based simply on that logic is a stretch. 

#92 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

Paul ###### Hamilton.   Why is this guy still around?   

Is this purely conjecture based on Eichel being a proud athlete?   Of course Eichel thinks he's as good as McDavid, or better, it's a character trait all great athletes posses, it's what makes them great.    But to assume he's going to pass on a potential deal this summer based simply on that logic is a stretch. 

Eichel would be smart to hold off on signing a contract now rather than signing one based off a season where he missed time, played in a crappy system under a crummy coach, and spent some of his time playing at less than 100% since he was coming off an injury.

It could be pride/ego or it could just be greed. He's not that good though. Guy is a minus player and doesn't even sport a lion tattoo.

#93 pi2000

pi2000

A. Matthews loves money more than hockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Eichel would be smart to hold off on signing a contract now rather than signing one based off a season where he missed time, played in a crappy system under a crummy coach, and spent some of his time playing at less than 100% since he was coming off an injury.

It could be pride/ego or it could just be greed. He's not that good though. Guy is a minus player and doesn't even sport a lion tattoo.

Well... duh!

There's also the chance he gets hurt again and loses out on potential money.

#94 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Paul ###### Hamilton. Why is this guy still around?

Is this purely conjecture based on Eichel being a proud athlete? Of course Eichel thinks he's as good as McDavid, or better, it's a character trait all great athletes posses, it's what makes them great. But to assume he's going to pass on a potential deal this summer based simply on that logic is a stretch.

If Jack didn't think he was McClavicles equal i would be worried

#95 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

Thinking he's "as good" as that guy is one thing.

Thinking that his past performance warrants being paid like him is quite another. 

I don't imagine that Eichel has an unrealistic view of how and whether he's "comparable" to McDavid for contract negotiating purposes.

#96 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Thinking he's "as good" as that guy is one thing.

Thinking that his past performance warrants being paid like him is quite another. 

I don't imagine that Eichel has an unrealistic view of how and whether he's "comparable" to McDavid for contract negotiating purposes.

I think it could mean that exactly.

#97 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

Well... duh!

There's also the chance he gets hurt again and loses out on potential money.

Minimal risk though. Even if he tore his ACL in game 1 and missed the entire season the guy would still get paid. If the Sabres tried to low ball him his agent would have no trouble soliciting an offer sheet from another team. All it takes is one and then the Sabres are either forced to match or rebuild around a guy who will start to decline in a few short years (O'Reilly), a guy they don't even consider a center (Reinhart), or a guy too weak to even do a single pull up (Middelstadt).

#98 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Minimal risk though. Even if he tore his ACL in game 1 and missed the entire season the guy would still get paid. If the Sabres tried to low ball him his agent would have no trouble soliciting an offer sheet from another team. All it takes is one and then the Sabres are either forced to match or rebuild around a guy who will start to decline in a few short years (O'Reilly), a guy they don't even consider a center (Reinhart), or a guy too weak to even do a single pull up (Middelstadt).

Ok 2 things. First, Mittelstadt.
Second, he isn't weak. And will be even stronger next summer.

#99 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,117 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

And he employs an agent to disabuse him of such a fantasy. 

#100 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

McDavid brought home 3 trophies at the award show and would have easily won the Calder if he didn't break his shoulder and he took his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs. What the hell has Eichel done except whine about his coach?

#101 Let's Go B-Lo

Let's Go B-Lo

Mucker. Grinder.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

Or it could be that he has an agent who happened to mention all the factors you just listed.

#102 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,007 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

McDavid brought home 3 trophies at the award show and would have easily won the Calder if he didn't break his shoulder and he took his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs. What the hell has Eichel done except whine about his coach?

lol

#11 in the NHL in ppg.

#103 3putt

3putt

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

Out of curiosity, and assuming he was eligible for UFA today, what would people be willing to pay Tavares?  Also I remember a few here wanting to throw a max deal at Stamkos.  So would be willing to pay Jack more if he were on another team and trying to lure him versus feeling like we should get some sort of discount due to currently unfilled expectations of instant super stardom?  again Just curious.

#104 mustacheofgod

mustacheofgod

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Out of curiosity, and assuming he was eligible for UFA today, what would people be willing to pay Tavares?  Also I remember a few here wanting to throw a max deal at Stamkos.  So would be willing to pay Jack more if he were on another team and trying to lure him versus feeling like we should get some sort of discount due to currently unfilled expectations of instant super stardom?  again Just curious.

As good as Tavares is, I don't think he's a fit for the Sabres since we have Eichel, ROR, maybe Reinhart, and Middlestad in the pipeline. The money you would have to overpay him on the UFA market would be between 8-10 million maybe? I don't know. That money needs to be spent on the blue line.

#105 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

What is "it" in the above?

#106 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

What is "it" in the above?

"It" being Eichel wanting to make comparable McDavid money.

#107 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

Ok 2 things. First, Mittelstadt.
Second, he isn't weak. And will be even stronger next summer.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. It's funny that he couldn't do a pull up but it doesn't concern me nearly as much as it bothers Eleven. The name mispelling was just an honest mistake. I was so careful to make sure I did the el instead of le that I used d's instead of t's.

#108 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Yessir.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. It's funny that he couldn't do a pull up but it doesn't concern me nearly as much as it bothers Eleven. The name mispelling was just an honest mistake. I was so careful to make sure I did the el instead of le that I used d's instead of t's.

I hate when that happens.

#109 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

This probably warrants its own thread -- but I can't figure out how to link to an iTunes podcast, so I'll note it here: Eichel gave a lengthy interview with the hockey nutters who host Barstool Sports Spittin Chiclets podcast. A must listen, really.

#110 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

Yessir.

I hate when that happens.

Any port in a f'n storm, man.

#111 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,027 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

This probably warrants its own thread -- but I can't figure out how to link to an iTunes podcast, so I'll note it here: Eichel gave a lengthy interview with the hockey nutters who host Barstool Sports Spittin Chiclets podcast. A must listen, really.

https://www.podcasto...pittin-chiclets

#112 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

Good man. Excellent listen!

#113 (E5)

(E5)

Eklund's Rumors Are False (e5)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

If Sabres fans think Eichel is going to take 8M or so long term to stay in Buffalo, I also have beach property to sell you in North Dakota.

#114 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,050 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

I'm only a few minutes in, but we don't deserve this kid.

And TBN can go to hell. As well as any media entity that took the Jack meme and ran with it, and the fans that perpetuate it to this day. 

#115 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

If Sabres fans think Eichel is going to take 8M or so long term to stay in Buffalo, I also have beach property to sell you in North Dakota.

There's gotta be a lake somewhere in North Dakota....

#116 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,027 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'm only a few minutes in, but we don't deserve this kid.

And TBN can go to hell. As well as any media entity that took the Jack meme and ran with it, and the fans that perpetuate it to this day. 

OK what did I miss here?

#117 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

OK what did I miss here?

That's what I'm wondering.

#118 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

OK what did I miss here?

That's what I'm wondering.

The Eichel Godfather thing of him getting everyone fired

Edited by ThirtyEight, 30 June 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#119 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,117 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

Apparently Ryan Johansen is seeking $8.5M per from Nashville. If he gets it, that's probably the floor on what we can expect Eichel to get.

#120 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

Apparently Ryan Johansen is seeking $8.5M per from Nashville. If he gets it, that's probably the floor on what we can expect Eichel to get.

F'n A, Cotton. F'n A!