54 replies to this topic

#41 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

I don't know if it was the messy flow, but I can confirm that I did not let you down....fn Europe man!!! Love it

Nice!

#42 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Exploring the hidden gems of Croatia and Italy (on separate occasions) was great.

Best trip (not really a vacation) was each and every time we have been to Bosnia.  So much more than a vacation, though, as our main focus was trying to help folks out as best we could in as hands-on a manner as we could.

#43 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,349 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

Exploring the hidden gems of Croatia and Italy (on separate occasions) was great.

Best trip (not really a vacation) was each and every time we have been to Bosnia.  So much more than a vacation, though, as our main focus was trying to help folks out as best we could in as hands-on a manner as we could.

Happy Eid, bud.

#44 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Happy Eid, bud.

Thanks, my friend.

Prayers yesterday morning were great.  5,000+ gathered on the field of a university football team on a nice early summer day in late June.  With the call to prayer and the prayers being amplified for all to hear that many local neighbours gathered to watch.  There is nothing quite like a person that is well versed in classical Arabic to do the call to prayer and when the Qur'an is recited by an Imam with the same language skills outlined above during the prayers ... it simply is magical.

The rest of the day was spent with my wife, as Eid day 1 is supposed to be for family, and was one of the best days of our lives.  Nothing real extraordinary, but spent a beautiful day at a park on the ocean.  We were basking in the warmth of Ramadan and the sun.

#45 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

I am not catholic by any means, don't know much about it.... But I met 2 lovely gals In Killarney and they talked me into going to Mass at the enormous St Mary's cathedral, it so happened the Indianapolis student choir was there and some very special Irish clergy....I have to say, it was quite the spectacle (minus the chanting and kneeling etc... I was lost) but to be there where the bishop spoke both gaelic and English prayer was quite amazing.

#46 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

I am not catholic by any means, don't know much about it.... But I met 2 lovely gals In Killarney and they talked me into going to Mass at the enormous St Mary's cathedral, it so happened the Indianapolis student choir was there and some very special Irish clergy....I have to say, it was quite the spectacle (minus the chanting and kneeling etc... I was lost) but to be there where the bishop spoke both gaelic and English prayer was quite amazing.

I may have (probably have) told the story before, but years ago I traveled Europe with a band and choir, and we narrowly avoided being in the middle of the London Underground bombing. A couple days later we were in a stunning medieval church in Austria- a very small one, actually. Not a huge cathedral (though they are incredible) or anything, but a small, wooden, hand hewn chapel of sorts. Ancient wooden altar, beautiful artistry.

The choir sang a heart rending hymn and we had a moment of silence for those lost in the bombing. It was the loudest moment of silence in my life thus far. It was overwhelming and humbling. Everyone, locals and us foreigners, was silently crying and there was a feeling of unity that I'll never forget. I am not religious, but moments like those can really make me understand why so many love and take solace in it. 

Those are the experiences that make travel so important. 

#47 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for Australia, I'm flying out in a couple hours and have a few days booked at each of the major cities for the next 2 weeks.... Kinda just made this one on the fly, so my itinerary is pretty free. Any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

#48 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for Australia, I'm flying out in a couple hours and have a few days booked at each of the major cities for the next 2 weeks.... Kinda just made this one on the fly, so my itinerary is pretty free. Any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Yeah, I'd recommend hitting up a brothel. I mean, why wouldn't you?

#49 Sakman

Sakman

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

Take a water ferry around Sydney, do take the tour of the Opera House, walk through Hyde Park in the early evening...not sure if they do it in September but at least in Dec/January hordes of massive bats come into the city to roost in the trees at the park. We were freaking out until observing the locals not reacting at all. 

In Melbourne do check out the WWI memorial...Anzac Day. 

Eat fish and chips...and shepherds pie. 

#50 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,349 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

Cricket, definitely. Rugby if you can.

#51 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

Awesome thanks for the ideas.... And a brothel.... I have a lady friend with me lol, Sooo I should be OK ;)

#52 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

Awesome thanks for the ideas.... And a brothel.... I have a lady friend with me lol, Sooo I should be OK ;)

Ah, scratch the brothel then. Go surfing!

#53 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

I don't have the surfer flow anymore :(I'm not allowed

#54 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

I don't have the surfer flow anymore :(I'm not allowed

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

#55 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I had to act "professional" for a few reasons, now that that's outta the way, I think it's time for it to come back