198 replies to this topic

#41 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

I like the pickup and the price, I'll get more excited if he's still here after all the expansion machinations.  I have been duped before. :unsure:

Well, if we traded for him so that Vegas could take him and we could keep Ullmark, that's still a good outcome from where we were yesterday.

#42 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

In an alternate universe, we're trying to figure out why GMTM just traded Justin Bailey and both of his 2nd round picks for Beaulieu, with half the board defending him because ZFG.

Very nice.

Very familiar with Beaulieu I watch alot of mtl games. Has a nice upside, could become a 2nd pairing guy on a good team. I see him now as a 3rd pairing guy on a good team though. I could see him getting top 4 mins I'm defense, I'm hoping he's on the 3rd pairing because we picked up another capable guy or 2. IMO has a tendency to make bad plays and sort of snowball effect his play the rest of the game.

That being said, love the trade. Good on JBot. He's got an opportunity here, and a 3rd is a good deal for both teams. RFA too, shows good asset management

Good post.  Keep them coming!

Well, if we traded for him so that Vegas could take him and we could keep Ullmark, that's still a good outcome from where we were yesterday.

Good call, but I think I'd still rather expose Bogo than Beaulieu.

#43 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Agree.  I'd be impressed by JBOT either way.   

#44 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Totally agree that this is a smart value move.

As for Bogo -- I'm skeptical that they'll give anything to Vegas to protect Bogo.  It occurs to me that they think Vegas will take Bogo -- and that this is why Howie has been talking up Moulson and Ennis -- i.e. because they think they'll be stuck with those 2 (and not Bogo).

Well, our confidence about JBott isn't really important IMHO.  What is important is adding guys like Antipin and the FNG into the mix to give the Sabres more bites at the apple.

Yes -- #17 overall in 2011.

He's also 6'2, 205 lbs and it sounds like he's a good skater.

Yep. Here's a scouting report from May 2011: http://thehockeywrit...ospect-profile/

And here's TSN radio segment on trading him or protecting him: http://www.tsn.ca/ra...aulieu-1.777679

17th overall in 2011.  Typically you see players breakout in year 3.  If you look at Baloo's numbers it seems that this past year should be counted as his year 3 and he def up'd his game offensively.

Thanks.
Yea, seems like he could blossom here.

One more question. Who are we protecting now?

#45 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

the corpse of Gorges

:w00t:

#46 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

Thanks.
Yea, seems like he could blossom here.

One more question. Who are we protecting now?

The dman we trade Kane for...

#47 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

The dman we trade Kane for...

We did not make another trade before 3pm if sources are right. So the defense we have are the ones we can protect. I would assume we protect McCabe, Risto, and Baloo. Vegas probably won't take Bogosian but could. 

#48 matter2003

matter2003

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

McCabe - Ristolainen
Beaulieu - Antipin
Falk - Bogosian

1 low-key Falk replacement from a serviceable D-corps?

Guhle

#49 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

We did not make another trade before 3pm if sources are right. So the defense we have are the ones we can protect. I would assume we protect McCabe, Risto, and Baloo. Vegas probably won't take Bogosian but could.

I think if we could somehow convince them to take Bogo that would be huge for us

Also, is it today the lists needed to be submitted??

Edited by LikeEich, 17 June 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#50 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

I love this love, if only because now we get 75 more games in which Rob Ray has to attempt to pronounce "Beaulieu".

Editing my accidental Van Morrison: move, I love the move.

Edited by Sabres79, 17 June 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#51 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

I think if we could somehow convince them to take Bogo that would be huge for us

Also, is it today the lists needed to be submitted??

Lists must be submitted by 5pm EST today. Can resume trading with Vegas ONLY at 10am tomorrow morning. At 10am the lists will be released to all teams. Lists will be made public tomorrow as well I believe. 

#52 TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Very solid move.  I'm happy with it, for a third, sign me up! 

#53 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

I love this love, if only because now we get 75 more games in which Rob Ray has to attempt to pronounce "Beaulieu".

Editing my accidental Van Morrison: move, I love the move.

To be fair, it's probably one of the more difficult names he's come accrost.

#54 LikeEich

LikeEich

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

Lists must be submitted by 5pm EST today. Can resume trading with Vegas ONLY at 10am tomorrow morning. At 10am the lists will be released to all teams. Lists will be made public tomorrow as well I believe.

Thought that was next weekend but ya that's the draft. Ana will be losing a good player unless they pull something I guess

#55 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Vegas I assume will take Flury from Pittsburgh. Not sure they would take Ullmark if he's exposed. If Sabres go the 7-3-1 format then it could be Risto, McCabe, and Beaulieu are protected. Seven forwards protected would be ROR,Kane,Okposo,Foligno,Girgensons,Rienhart,?. That exposes both Moulson and Bogo. Otherwise you expose the guy we picked up and protect Bogo. That means we paid a third rounder to protect Bogo and I don't see that unless Vegas wouldn't take that pick not to take him. I may have something mixed up here.

#56 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Reinhart does not need expansion draft protection

#57 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Vegas I assume will take Flury from Pittsburgh. Not sure they would take Ullmark if he's exposed. If Sabres go the 7-3-1 format then it could be Risto, McCabe, and Beaulieu are protected. Seven forwards protected would be ROR,Kane,Okposo,Foligno,Girgensons,Rienhart,?. That exposes both Moulson and Bogo. Otherwise you expose the guy we picked up and protect Bogo. That means we paid a third rounder to protect Bogo and I don't see that unless Vegas wouldn't take that pick not to take him. I may have something mixed up here.

Ennis and Carrier?

#58 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

I think that would be a pretty terrible outcome.

#59 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

So a value oriented D depth pickup with some upside for next to nothing. TM see how this works.

This is the type of move I've been begging for for two years.

Edited by GASabresFan, 17 June 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#60 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

Ennis and Carrier?

I think of those I'd be inclined to protect Carrier.

#61 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

I mean, it's not like Murray never made a good trade!

#62 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

Reinhart does not need expansion draft protection

Forgot that. Vegas has to take three goaltenders. Assuming Fluery is one then the question is would Ullmark be more attractive than all the rest of exposed goaltenders? There's a lot there to choose from. The problem is he will be maybe the most attractive of our teams exposed players and they have to take someone from each team.

Edited by Radar, 17 June 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#63 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

Agreed. Baloo has more value than Ullmark. 

#64 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

I think of those I'd be inclined to protect Carrier.

Agree.  Just wish he would find a scoring touch.  Thus far, he's reminding me of Paul Cyr.  He could skate like the wind, hit, tough to play against, but never could put the puck in the net consistently.

#65 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

No,but he never made a smart depth deal like this one.

#66 dejeanerret

dejeanerret

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'm not seeing a lot of unhappy Habs fans, and I am seeing that he's quite the partier.  

On the other hand, it's a third round pick for a guy who can play immediately, so that's a good deal no matter what.

Quite the opposite on their Twitter page.

Fans are hammering the team for the move. They aren't happy getting only a 3rd for this guy.

I knew Bots was waiting to name a HC before making deals.  With LeBrun reporting he fits in with Housley's style of D, I'm sold.

Solid move to acquire a 24 year old former 1st rounder on the upswing who recorded 4/24 with +8 last year for a 3rd.

He's an RFA, which means the Sabres have to really F up not to resign him.

Edited by dejeanerret, 17 June 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#67 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

Can J-BOT pull off the impossible and move both Moulson and Bogo off the books? Doubt it, but it would be an absolutely dream scenario. Just getting one of them off the books would be huge.

Don't know enough about BowlU to comment, but he's a career +19 so I'll tentatively pencil him into the top pairing.

#68 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

Agree. Just wish he would find a scoring touch. Thus far, he's reminding me of Paul Cyr. He could skate like the wind, hit, tough to play against, but never could put the puck in the net consistently.

He'll get shot in the ass under suspicious circumstances in Mexico next offseason?

#69 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

Should we be concerned that Gerard Gallant coached Beaulieu for 3 years in the QMJHL at St. John?

#70 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

Should we be concerned that Gerard Gallant coached Beaulieu for 3 years in the QMJHL at St. John?

Graduating from the QMJHL is concern enough.

#71 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Graduating from the QMJHL is concern enough.

Some now consider the Q to be just below the USHL

#72 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

He'll get shot in the ass under suspicious circumstances in Mexico next offseason?

Nice one.  That was a whacky incident.  Besides one hattie against Boston, I don't remember him ever scoring. 

#73 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

Just cannot figure out Montreal...now a very good young d-man they drafted high and was almost a sure top 2 and now  a good solid d-man that they also drafted in the first round? this from a team that needs defense? strange...

#74 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

Just cannot figure out Montreal...now a very good young d-man they drafted high and was almost a sure top 2 and now a good solid d-man that they also drafted in the first round? this from a team that needs defense? strange...

Occam's Razor. Bergevin is a proven idiot

#75 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

Just cannot figure out Montreal...now a very good young d-man they drafted high and was almost a sure top 2 and now  a good solid d-man that they also drafted in the first round? this from a team that needs defense? strange...

Sometimes GM's are just stupid. That is why you get a smart one so you can exploit the idiots. 

#76 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,330 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

What's to figure? Everybody knows they hate French Canadians in Moe-ray-all. They ran that Roy kid out of town too.

:P

#77 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Forgot that. Vegas has to take three goaltenders. Assuming Fluery is one then the question is would Ullmark be more attractive than all the rest of exposed goaltenders? There's a lot there to choose from. The problem is he will be maybe the most attractive of our teams exposed players and they have to take someone from each team.

There's nothI got that requires them to take three. There will be free agent options as well where they can fill up their ranks in the net.

#78 dejeanerret

dejeanerret

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Listening to Habs beat writer earlier this week he stated Beaulieu was worth at least a 2nd.

Yet he also stated Beaulieu is at his lowest value being 24 years old & came close to 30 points and is a few years away from hitting his prime. Reiterated that Beaulieu's value is only going to go up from her on. 

Said it was a "no brainer" to protect Beaulieu over Jordie Benn who finished 4/14 and -4 who is on the verge of 30.

Hence why Habs fans are pissed.

http://www.tsn.ca/ra...aulieu-1.777679

Edited by dejeanerret, 17 June 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#79 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

Definitely.

Forever indebted to him for ROR.

#80 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

Sometimes GM's are just stupid. That is why you get a smart one so you can exploit the idiots.

MTL was going to lose him to Vegas for nothing. They'll protect Weber, Petry, and Emelin. and now they can protect 7 forwards

Edited by pi2000, 17 June 2017 - 02:58 PM.