#82 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

I give up.....................

Just make your argument for keeping Kane without hyperbole.

#83 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

Just make your argument for keeping Kane without hyperbole.

I will, as soon as you spread your criticism out consistently instead of just focusing on me. 

#84 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:23 PM

I'll put myself out there and say that JJ's point re: Eichel isn't hyperbole at all. It would depend on who you asked. One of the main arguments beings floated for why we should trade Kane is the assumption that he may not want to sign with the Sabres. What's to stop others carrying over what, as of now is only a narrative, over to Jack, when he's up for his next contract?

#85 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

I will, as soon as you spread your criticism out consistently instead of just focusing on me.

I mean, I've been pretty critical of getting Forbort for Kane I think.

I'll put myself out there and say that JJ's point re: Eichel isn't hyperbole at all. It would depend on who you asked. One of the main arguments beings floated for why we should trade Kane is the assumption that he may not want to sign with the Sabres. What's to stop others carrying over what, as of now is only a narrative, over to Jack, when he's up for his next contract?

Jack's up next July. He's an RFA so he's not going no where.

#86 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

I'm not afraid Kane won't sign with the Sabres. Okposo was a more prized FA than Kane will be. I think if we made Kane an offer at or above market value, he'd probably sign an extension today. Even if he wants to wait and test the market (which he has every right to do), I think we'd be strong players.

I'm more worried that Kane isn't in the Sabres long term plans because we already have a lot of money tied up in wingers, and we need to set aside money for our center spine and defensive improvements. Maybe Botterill doesn't want to invest $6-7M when we already pay Okposo $6, Moulson $5, Ennis $4.6, Foligno $2.5 etc. Then I'd rather move that one last year of Kane for three or four years of a defenseman. Because I think we should take a step forward next year with or without Kane. But we aren't competing for a Cup next year. Three or four years from now, hopefully different story.

#87 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:36 PM

I'm not afraid Kane won't sign with the Sabres. Okposo was a more prized FA than Kane will be. I think if we made Kane an offer at or above market value, he'd probably sign an extension today. Even if he wants to wait and test the market (which he has every right to do), I think we'd be strong players.
I'm more worried that Kane isn't in the Sabres long term plans because we already have a lot of money tied up in wingers, and we need to set aside money for our center spine and defensive improvements. Maybe Botterill doesn't want to invest $6-7M when we already pay Okposo $6, Moulson $5, Ennis $4.6, Foligno $2.5 etc. Then I'd rather move that one last year of Kane for three or four years of a defenseman. Because I think we should take a step forward next year with or without Kane. But we aren't competing for a Cup next year. Three or four years from now, hopefully different story.

I'm not sure we can/should be thinking this way, after what we saw the playoff format facilitate for the Senators.

I do agree that the $ - and Kane himself - might be better spent on D upgrades, if that's achievable.

I just want the Kane return to be adequate.

If you aren't going to avail yourself to the possibly that he's not signing with Buffalo, we really don't need to have further discussion on this topic.

You are right, it's definitely possible. I just see no reason to assume it's the case, or even that it's likely. But that's besides your original point. I think I somehow miss read it the first time actually, to be honest. My bad.

Edited by Thorny, 04 June 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#88 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:50 PM

I'm not sure we can/should be thinking this way, after what we saw the playoff format facilitate for the Senators.

I do agree that the $ - and Kane himself - might be better spent on D upgrades, if that's achievable.

I just want the Kane return to be adequate.

I have read both arguments for and against and do think that Kane is a risk with a long term contract and his behavioral past.  That being said, I loved his scoring and hard play in the corners last year. I wish one of the young guys could step up in scoring, while also showing a little more vision on ice.  Then trading Kane would be a little more palatable.  Till the uncertainty on wing gets resolved and Molson, Ennis and even Okposo medical issue gets figured out, I'm thinking the Sabres keep him.  Only if the return makes sense a la a D and a high draft pick say next yea then my mind could change.  Feel like a see saw going back and forth on this one....

#89 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

For those that keep bring up the question of why fans want to trade Kane, it's simple, in reality/real life, you have to give up something of value to get something of value. So if you want to upgrade the defence, without grossly overpaying in FA for one of the top guys, you are going to have to trade something of value which is either going to be a good NHL ready player, a high draft pick, or a top rated prospect. Since no one wants to give up picks or prospects on a team still building that had to go through hell to get them, the next move is to look at trading a very good forward who's contract is expiring and has not shown a willingness to re-sign here without testing FA first and getting the highest deal.

I don't think there's anyone here looking to get rid of Kane just because, but here in reality, your not getting anything decent trading Moulson. But you should get a great return giving up a Kane

#90 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

I hear talk of Kane for LA's 11th draft pick bu we need immediate help...we simply cannot afford to give a impact player who led the team in scoring for a player who may or may not ever make the team, and if he does, it will probably be 3 to 4 years down the road. If this talk is serious one has to decide what LA has NOW we could use

#91 thewookie1

thewookie1

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

I hear talk of Kane for LA's 11th draft pick bu we need immediate help...we simply cannot afford to give a impact player who led the team in scoring for a player who may or may not ever make the team, and if he does, it will probably be 3 to 4 years down the road. If this talk is serious one has to decide what LA has NOW we could use

To be honest I see 11 as just another asset, like a way to exchange funds. For instance Kane won't fit on the Wild but the 11th overall would

Edited by thewookie1, 05 June 2017 - 07:30 AM.

#92 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

Yep.  And I don't think LA has what the Sabres could (realistically) want.

#93 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

So flip # 11 for something we need. Possibly in a package deal.

#94 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

https://www.fanragsp...der-kane-trade/

Dregers comments on Kane' s trade value is roughly a high end prospect and second rounder. He admitted it's a bit of a guessing game. This thread proposes #11 and either Forbort (an NHL player) or a very high prospect. Both are very high returns for Kane with only one year left on his contract.

#95 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Probably easier to do something straight up. Too complicated any other way and would use up too many chits for 11th overall assuming Kings would even give that up given their cap constraints.

#96 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

I don't think the #11 pick gets the Sabres anything they need, unless it's coming from a team struggling to protect defensemen.

We're talking about the team's leading goal scorer, here.  They shouldn't trade him for anything but an absolute sure thing, if they trade him at all.

#97 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

https://www.fanragsp...der-kane-trade/

Dregers comments on Kane' s trade value is roughly a high end prospect and second rounder. He admitted it's a bit of a guessing game. This thread proposes #11 and either Forbort (an NHL player) or a very high prospect. Both are very high returns for Kane with only one year left on his contract.

I agree with Dreger's take. Lots of over-valuation going on here. 

#98 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

For those that keep bring up the question of why fans want to trade Kane, it's simple, in reality/real life, you have to give up something of value to get something of value. So if you want to upgrade the defence, without grossly overpaying in FA for one of the top guys, you are going to have to trade something of value which is either going to be a good NHL ready player, a high draft pick, or a top rated prospect. Since no one wants to give up picks or prospects on a team still building that had to go through hell to get them, the next move is to look at trading a very good forward who's contract is expiring and has not shown a willingness to re-sign here without testing FA first and getting the highest deal.

I don't think there's anyone here looking to get rid of Kane just because, but here in reality, your not getting anything decent trading Moulson. But you should get a great return giving up a Kane

Good to see you, sir!

I will say though that he also hasn't shown an unwillingness to re-sign here.

We just don't have the information.

#99 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

We're talking about the team's leading goal scorer, here.  They shouldn't trade him for anything but an absolute sure thing, if they trade him at all.

I understand the reluctance to move the team's #1 goal scorer.

But if JBOT has made a determination that Kane is not part of the team's core going forward and/or if Kane has given indications that he's intent on testing the UFA market (as would be his well-earned right), then the team would have little choice but to seek value for him while the getting is still good.

Anyway, if JBOT is intent on getting a legit top-4 LHD, and setting aside the expansion draft and salary cap issues that are, frankly, too challenging and multiple for me to follow and understand, then it'd be Sam Reinhart who needs to be on the trading block (along with some other pick, prospect, player). IMO, Kane will not be part of a deal that fetches the top-4 LHD.

#100 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Let's also keep in mind that GMTM was the guy who loved Kane and brought him in to the team. With Botterill in town, he doesn't have ties to any of the players here, so he may be more willing to part with an asset on a short term contract to improve the makeup of the team as he sees fit.

I personally didn't want to trade Kane going into this offseason, but the offers mentioned are pretty tempting and I am coming around to the logic.

#101 7+6=13

7+6=13

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

I don't see us trading Kane for equal value on defense for what he brings to the offense.  In other words we're not going to spend the 6-8 million we'd have to give him on a defender.  Mainly because those type of defensive players rarely become FA's and a team isn't trading that type of defenseman for Kane. 

The Kane decision has to be based on the simple concept of can we afford Kane, upgrade our defense with a 3.5 mil guy and sign Eichel and/or Sam - or do we need Kane's money to accomplish that. 

Kane is a very good hockey player, he's not perfect but he's not easily replaced.  If he leaves or gets traded we'll downgrade the offense for a period of time for reasons necessary for the future vision.

#102 Ottosmagic13

Ottosmagic13

We're fine.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

Pfffffft. The desire to trade away useful-but-not-franchise pieces long predates the tank. Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Myers, Satan, Hecht, Zhitnik. And more!

Part of the problem is that we consistently put the 'franchise' expectations on those guys. Vanek and Myers being some of the ones in recent memory. When they didn't play beyond their ceiling the "oh-woe-is-me" crowd barked for trades. 

#103 TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

I for one am a fan of Kempe, but I wouldn't want to move a pick on top of Kane to make a deal happen regardless.  

#104 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

I for one am a fan of Kempe, but I wouldn't want to move a pick on top of Kane to make a deal happen regardless.  

I would give them Kane and #54 for Kempe and #11 but that would be about it. 

#105 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

I would give them Kane and #54 for Kempe and #11 but that would be about it. 

Why do you like Kempe so much? Briefly looking at his stats and he's very meh IMO. Plus, unless I read that wrong, he's a winger

Edited by WildCard, 05 June 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#106 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

Why do you like Kempe so much? Briefly looking at his stats and he's very meh IMO. Plus, unless I read that wrong, he's a winger

He's a LW to be precise. 

#107 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:53 AM

Unless the Sabres are under the impression Kane will not re-sign for a reasonable amount, I do not support the trade of Kane. Countless times Eichel expressed signs of frustration when a player he setup couldn't finish. Kane is a proven top 6 forward. He has the numbers to back that up. And tired of people using the off ice issues as a reason to get rid of him. What went down was in the wrong, but what amazes me is had this occurred in the NFL it would've been "forgotten" already. The Sabres need Kane for the goal scoring. Also need to consider playoff hockey. The game is much different in the post-season. Players get away w/ extra physical play. Kane is needed for that.

Edited by GoPre, 05 June 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#108 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

He's a LW to be precise. 

Alright, but beyond that?

#109 sabills

sabills

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

According to @TSNBobMcKenzie, Evander Kane "will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres".

#110 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

Friedman mentioned Anaheim, but he said someone else told him that's incorrect. Both still think Vancouver is a possibility 

#111 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

Friedman mentioned Anaheim, but he said someone else told him that's incorrect. Both still think Vancouver is a possibility 

Brock Boeser... oh god let it be for Brock Boeser. 

#112 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

According to @TSNBobMcKenzie, Evander Kane "will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres".

Where's the 'it's happening gif'?  Your letting me down Liger....

#113 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Brock Boeser... oh god let it be for Brock Boeser. 

Juolevi for me

#114 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

Juolevi for me

Come on Wildcard.  No way we get Juolevi for Kane.

#115 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

I also think new GMJBotto comes from a organization that would never keep a player that has caused the ruckus that Kane has...the more I think about it the more I become convinced that the GM will move kane and his pass-problems so they do not happen again in Buffalo...his value is also at the highest right now

#116 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

Intriguing.

#117 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Come on Wildcard.  No way we get Juolevi for Kane.

I'm not saying straight up

You know, the one thing I’ve heard is other GMs who say they’ve reached out to Vancouver and been told that this is no guarantee and if Chris Tanev is going anywhere, the price is going to be very high for him. He’s got three more years under contract. He’s a good player at a good price. I don’t think Vancouver is looking to do this unless it’s  a great deal.”

Tanev is headed into the third season of a five-year, $22.25 million contract and his cap hit is $4.45 million.

Friedman had a Monday morning radio hit on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960, where curiosity was piqued about the possibility of the Flames adding a quality blueliner like Tanev.

“I think that if Chris Tanev is getting traded, I would love to see what Vancouver would ask Calgary for,” said Friedman. “I mean, you know this is a pretty old-school league. If you’re trading Chris Tanev to a team in your division, the premium’s got to be really something.”

Friedman and McKenzie evaluate Evander Kane trade potential

In March of 2015, the Canucks acquired Sven Baertschi from the Flames for a second-round pick.

A little less than a year later, in February of 2016, the Flames dealt Markus Granlund to the Canucks for Hunter Shinkaruk.

These swaps were brought up to Friedman as a potential glimmer of hope on the Tanev front.

“Those were change of scenery deals,” countered Friedman. “Sven Baertschi wasn’t going to work in Calgary and so they did the best deal they could. Granlund for Shinkaruk – those two situations weren’t working where they were. Chris Tanev is not ‘not working.’ Chris Tanev is a difference-maker and there is a lot of interest in him. I think Vancouver has made it very clear that wherever he’s going – if he goes – it’s going to be expensive. And I think in a place like Calgary that means even more expensive.

“I don’t think that either team looked at the Baertschi-Granlund deals as, ‘We’re trading a cornerstone player.’ It was simply, ‘We’ve got a few changes of scenery here,’ and sometimes those deals are easier to make. This one would be a lot more difficult for Vancouver and Calgary.”

https://www.fanragsp...ce-tanev-trade/

#118 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Where there's smoke there's fire. Sounds like a Kane trade is coming very soon. Given how it's being reported it sounds like more than typical rumors at this point.

#119 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Has anyone seen/heard McK actually say this?  I'm reluctant to rely on Davis' spin on what McK said.

#120 LTS

LTS

Why I Love Hockey.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Everything is going to be rapid fire as soon as these finals end... if not before it.  The expansion draft and regular draft make for some exciting times.