647 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:31 PM

it's been mentioned in several threads so mods can merge everything into one.

Forbort and #11

Kempe and #11

What does it take to get Kane to LA and should we expect in return?

#2 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Forbort and #11. 25 year old lhd, former #15 overall. Took a long time to crack LA due to blue line depth. Played top munutes last year. Versatile.

#3 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

I don't really want to trade Kane to that team 

#4 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

I don't really want to trade Kane to that team 

If we're trading Kane, the best place to trade him is to the WC.

#5 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

Soooo let's pick a western team with better defensemen :P 

#6 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:47 PM

There's just not a ton to like coming back our way.

Soooo let's pick a western team with better defensemen :P

Yes, this. Down year and all, I'd be interested in Muzzin...but for some reason I don't see that happening.

#7 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

LA is in a position that we can deal Kane to and get a handsome return all things considered. Imagine getting an additional early first rounder, and a proven 25 yo dman for someone who will most likely walk at the end of next season? We could have Forbort and draft two more dmen at #8 and #11. Our d would be looking legit long term.

#8 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

LA is in a position that we can deal Kane to and get a handsome return all things considered. Imagine getting an additional early first rounder, and a proven 25 yo dman for someone who will most likely walk at the end of next season? We could have Forbort and draft two more dmen at #8 and #11. Our d would be looking legit long term.

I think you're way too excited about one okay season.

#9 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

I think you're way too excited about one okay season.

A trade with LA for him and #11 would literally transform our defense for a decade. Why wouldn't I be psyched? Hes a gem and hes cheap. Kind of guy JB will want.

#10 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

A trade with LA for him and #11 would literally transform our defense for a decade. Why wouldn't I be psyched? Hes a gem and hes cheap. Kind of guy JB will want.

I'm curious, if you were to define a tier for Forbort relative to other NHL defensemen, where would you put him? No need to give a number, it's way too hard to try and remember all the defensemen, but who are some other defensemen you'd be equally as excited to have on the Sabres? I'm just a little confused by who you think this guy is haha. 

As for the bolded, I don't see how he could have this big of an impact. He's decent at shot suppression and horrendous at shot generation. His CA/60 relative to the Kings is fine, but his CF/60 relative to the Kings is something like -9% which is ludicrously low. This team's primary need is not a pre-death Josh Gorges at the moment. We allowed fewer shots than average from the area in front of the net where the defensemen are responsible for this past year, and may well have been the worst team in the NHL at moving the puck up the ice as a cohesive unit, something that is driven by defensemen. Derek has shown to be bad at that. 

Furthermore, Botterill's old team acquired guys like Daley and Schultz, who don't suppress shots or even know how to play defense half the time, but who can relentlessly make correct, precise decisions to get the puck in the right direction. I don't see how he's a Botterill kind of player.

#11 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

Proposal from twitter:

Kane + 8 for Muzzin + 11

Muzzin is signed through 19-20 season at $4M per.

#12 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

I'm curious, if you were to define a tier for Forbort relative to other NHL defensemen, where would you put him? No need to give a number, it's way too hard to try and remember all the defensemen, but who are some other defensemen you'd be equally as excited to have on the Sabres? I'm just a little confused by who you think this guy is haha.

As for the bolded, I don't see how he could have this big of an impact. He's decent at shot suppression and horrendous at shot generation. His CA/60 relative to the Kings is fine, but his CF/60 relative to the Kings is something like -9% which is ludicrously low. This team's primary need is not a pre-death Josh Gorges at the moment. We allowed fewer shots than average from the area in front of the net where the defensemen are responsible for this past year, and may well have been the worst team in the NHL at moving the puck up the ice as a cohesive unit, something that is driven by defensemen. Derek has shown to be bad at that.

Furthermore, Botterill's old team acquired guys like Daley and Schultz, who don't suppress shots or even know how to play defense half the time, but who can relentlessly make correct, precise decisions to get the puck in the right direction. I don't see how he's a Botterill kind of player.

I admit that I don't know hockey as much as you and some of the other guys on here, and some of the stats you just talked about are things that I don't follow on a league wide level. I just know what I have read about him that he's a shutdown defender, I like his size, and am impressed how he stepped into a top minutes role last year.

I say he's a JB kind of guy in that the Pitt model is pay the stars, get creative with supporting cast. Forbort would come cheap. Wasn't referring to puck moving.

#13 thewookie1

thewookie1

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:32 PM

Proposal from twitter:

Kane + 8 for Muzzin + 11

I'm unwilling to trade down

#14 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:29 AM

I admit that I don't know hockey as much as you and some of the other guys on here, and some of the stats you just talked about are things that I don't follow on a league wide level. I just know what I have read about him that he's a shutdown defender, I like his size, and am impressed how he stepped into a top minutes role last year.

I say he's a JB kind of guy in that the Pitt model is pay the stars, get creative with supporting cast. Forbort would come cheap. Wasn't referring to puck moving.

Then we should pay Kane

#15 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

Proposal from twitter:

Kane + 8 for Muzzin + 11

That's awful.

#16 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

Did I miss the part of why people want to trade Kane from a team that has a terrible offense to begin with?

#17 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Did I miss the part of why people want to trade Kane from a team that has a terrible offense to begin with?

Listen, this is Buffalo. Where there is no room for 50 goal scorers, where everyone hates the last guy to score 80 points, and where you always wish to trade your leading goal scorer.

#18 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

Listen, this is Buffalo. Where there is no room for 50 goal scorers, where everyone hates the last guy to score 80 points, and where you always wish to trade your leading goal scorer.

because we prefer Rob Ray, Brad May, Matthew Barnaby as opposed to players with talent who can actually play. I guess watching Kane on Eichel's left wing wasn't good enough

#19 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

No love for Adrian Kempe?

#20 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

We don't have a terrible offense, we have a bad defense.

#21 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

That's awful.

Why? We get the better player at a position of greater need, and on a cheaper contract to boot.

I don't want to give 7 years to a guy with Kane's injury history who will be 28 when the contract kicks in, and I don't want to invest $6 million in cap space in a non-elite winger who isn't a great fit with our best players.

No love for Adrian Kempe?

I just don't know much about him.

#22 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Keeping forwards the same and fixing the defense and system will make our offense one of the best out there. These guys could barely enter the zone on the power play and yet were 26% in Jack's 61 games. There's a ton of skill up there.

#23 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

Keeping forwards the same and fixing the defense and system will make our offense one of the best out there. These guys could barely enter the zone on the power play and yet were 26% in Jack's 61 games. There's a ton of skill up there.

Yep.

#24 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Then we should pay Kane

Unless he has no plans on re-signing, which he most certainly seems like he won't.

#25 Eleven

Eleven

• Members
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Unless he has no plans on re-signing, which he most certainly seems like he won't.

How do we know anything about this?  I may have missed something in the last week or two.

#26 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

Adrian Kempe: 6'2" 190lb LW.  95 games for MODO in the SHL. Then 104 games over 2 seasons in the AHL including an extensive call this past season (25games) and he is not yet 21. As a 20year old in those 25 games he scored 2 goals and 4 assists. He has a positive corsi which doesn't mean much because he didn't play in the top 2 lines. He averaged about 10mins even strength ice time so limited playing time. Skates welll, described as a bull on the ice.

Now if you trade Kane you need a LW. Kempe is younger, without the baggage and I think he has more of a playmaking game. It is perfect to get him. Toss in #11 and when are cooking. We could draft Valimaki at #11 and sure it will take another 2 years to see him but I think he projects out to a top 4 defender. Also we still have the expansion draft. We still need scoring. I think the value on Kane is #11 and Kempe at best. 

How do we know anything about this?  I may have missed something in the last week or two.

We don't. The question is will he and for how much? Anything over 6mil per year would bother me. Not because I worry about off ice crap but because I worry about his playmaking and chemistry. Idk Kane is tough call. 

#27 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

The lead up to the tank has ruined this fanbase.  Every time a player gets anywhere near the end of a contract we want to trade them off.  Maybe some day we will embrace the idea of signing and building with them again.

#28 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

Proposal from twitter:

Kane + 8 for Muzzin + 11

That's a disaster.

Trades are exciting but LA has basically nothing for us to get excited about.

#29 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

The lead up to the tank has ruined this fanbase. Every time a player gets anywhere near the end of a contract we want to trade them off. Maybe some day we will embrace the idea of signing and building with them again.

Pfffffft. The desire to trade away useful-but-not-franchise pieces long predates the tank. Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Myers, Satan, Hecht, Zhitnik. And more!

#30 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm unwilling to trade down

You also expect to get Doughty in return straight up.

#31 nucci

nucci

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

I agree if that's the case

#32 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

Kane to the Kings didn't make sense to me when it was floating around at the deadline - Kings didn't have much in the way of puck-moving D, and they seemed solid with physical wingers.

But from what I read, they want more speed and scoring without sacrificing their toughness and that's Kane to a T.
Forbert and a pick/prospect fits my prediction for a Botterill Kane trade to a "T"

Id also keep an eye on Kale Clague, the Kings 2nd-rounder last year, a small, mobile defenceman who put up some points.

Edited by dudacek, 04 June 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#33 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

This is the dilemma. I have a feeling Kane may want to test free agency. This not only means losing him for nothing but also decreases his trade value. Other teams won't give up much for a one year rental so they may want a new deal in place before trading for him. If he's bent on free agency then we're in a tough place.

#34 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

This is the dilemma. I have a feeling Kane may want to test free agency. This not only means losing him for nothing but also decreases his trade value. Other teams won't give up much for a one year rental so they may want a new deal in place before trading for him. If he's bent on free agency then we're in a tough place.

totally aqree..there probably is no doubt Kane will walk if we hang on to him and then we'll get nothing. I do not think he is all that attached to Buffalo and their fans and it won't be like say Stamkos who has played his whole career with Tampa. Kane will look out for one person and that's himself. We need to seriously explore what we can get for him now...

#35 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,486 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

The Sabres will need to take some salary in any deal. LA is nine million under the cap with Toffoli as a RFA, prospects and ELCs coming to Buffalo will not help that.

#36 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

They don't need to know he's bent on free agency until after a trade.

#37 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

I just don't understand why everyone wants only puck moving dmen. Yes we were awful in that regard last year and need to improve, but we also need big tuff stay at home dmen.

Remember the 2011 first round against Philly? They camped out in front of Miller and our soft defense didn't do a damn thing about it.

#38 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

The Sabres will need to take some salary in any deal. LA is nine million under the cap with Toffoli as a RFA, prospects and ELCs coming to Buffalo will not help that.

that is why it makes no sense for LA to be a trading partner...Kane will want BIG bucks as a free agent and LA isn't going to do anything to just have him for next season... 

#39 thewookie1

thewookie1

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

You also expect to get Doughty in return straight up.

I'm no where near that foolish, I've never been that out of left field

#40 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

that is why it makes no sense for LA to be a trading partner...Kane will want BIG bucks as a free agent and LA isn't going to do anything to just have him for next season...

They're going to unload someone on Vegas