• This topic is locked This topic is locked
120 replies to this topic

#41 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,845 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

It really is amazing how out of touch people can be. A millionaire seeking sympathy for underperformance from blue collar people. Yikes.

Yes. It truly is amazing.

#42 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,007 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

I feel bad for Ville about how his time with the Sabres turned out. The dude got SO much hate for sucking at his job, it's not like he wanted to suck. Every single Darcy failure from 2007 on, the players took the most heat for it. Sports is a business, it's entertainment, so fans are entitled to feel how they want to about players.

But I've never felt good about having a whipping boy on the sabres in retrospect. I grew to hate Derek Roy and then Tim Conolly. Even though their initially sucessful careers were cut short by the brutality of the NHL, I hated them because Darcy built a ###### team and didn't do anything to change it.

I remember being so sick of all the Ville hate. It was like every game people were seeing him suck for the first time.

His art is hilarious because it's so bad, but I still empathize with his pain. I'm glad he's looking for ways to express himself artistically. I feel like so many career hockey players never have the chance to truly develop any passions away from the ice.

#43 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,049 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

Is anyone arguing this?

It really is amazing how out of touch people can be. A millionaire seeking sympathy for underperformance from blue collar people. Yikes.

Life is ###### hard. I make good money which equates to a decent life. I'm one lucky chump. I grew up in border town Quebec/Akwesasne/Adirondacks. I've seen the very poor of the poor. My Dad was tops on the list for the DEC to contact for unwanted roadkill. Anyone that fails to delight in their great fortune to be wealthy can go lick a stick. They can also go ###### themselves.

What a tool.

Almost every post in this thread takes jabs at the guy. I don't understand it.

#44 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

I can't speak for others, but I called him a tool because there's something about profiting off this particular piece of art that irks me. As I've said, I'm all for his right to do so.

Again, from the admittedly little I've seen of him, he's just not my favourite chap. Nothing more to see here.

I called him a tool. I didn't advocate force-feeding him the experimental gum.

Edited by Thorny, 16 May 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#45 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

But I've never felt good about having a whipping boy on the sabres in retrospect. I grew to hate Derek Roy and then Tim Conolly. Even though their initially sucessful careers were cut short by the brutality of the NHL, I hated them because Darcy built a ###### team and didn't do anything to change it.

I always hated the hate for Tim Connolly. That guy was so freaking good at hockey. He was hated because he was "soft" and couldn't stay healthy. Man, that guy could handle the puck.

Oh, and Derek Roy was also under appreciated for being a massive bro. Another damn good hockey player.

Leino sucked by comparison. Good in the playoffs. Awful for us. Remains the reason for the only time my mother has ever heard me swear.

#46 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

He was paid to do a job, he underperformed. This is not the first time he has complained about it. https://sports.yahoo...-135215250.html

He comes across like a victim rather than taking responsibility. When people of modest means pay significant money to see their team, it stings when someone like Leino blames everyone but himself. I called him a poor baby, not very edifying I admit. It's hard not to feel that way though.

As far as one poster saying he can go to he** etc, that is over the top imo.

#47 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

I bare no ill will towards Leino. Let's leave him in peace.

Edited by ShadowLiger, 16 May 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#48 Saratoga

Saratoga

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

There's no rule against feeling trapped and depressed no matter how "good" your situation is.

I must admit, after reading your comment I now feel convicted by my own covetousnes. You are correct in that there are no guidelines or prerequisites to depression or any other type of mental illness, and for that I do now feel bad for judging him.

Afterall, this is probably how people in third world countries feel when they see us complaining about anything.

I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. The guy still annoys me though.

#49 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:39 PM

I totally get the "I'm trapped but I'm making money so I should be grateful" feeling. Not with millions of dollars, or with the entire subculture of my profession laughing at me, but... 

This just smacks of immaturity to me.

And I don't dig the art. Basquiat you're not. Personal preference. 

Doing the painting is one thing. Cool. Purge your feelings. I fully support that. I don't know his struggles. Lord knows I've painted about way more childish things. Selling said painting, or a series of paintings in that vein, sure. But making it into "mass" (i know it's small batch) produced apparel for others to wear? Don't cut yourself on all that edge, Ville. It's angsty stuff like this that gives artists a bad name. 

But, who am I to say. The second something is called art, it's subjective, and this isn't a class nor am I his professor.

This

#50 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:48 AM

Some of the best art is born of agnst...  and I am fine with Ville's frustration... not impressed by his art work imo... that being said, his effort with the Buffalo Sabres was pitiful and that is why he became a whipping boy.  He was an enigma, he came over from Philly with what were suppose to be a good set of hands yet he showed little of that and little hustle otherwise, he sulked and seems like he still is.  He and Erhoff were part of the reason why the Sabres never made the next step... Erhoff at least tried, both were brought in with promise but they Euro'd it when things didn't go their way... booo hooo.  Ville can take his hood and nu on it. 

#51 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:29 AM

Some of the best art is born of agnst...  and I am fine with Ville's frustration... not impressed by his art work imo... that being said, his effort with the Buffalo Sabres was pitiful and that is why he became a whipping boy.  He was an enigma, he came over from Philly with what were suppose to be a good set of hands yet he showed little of that and little hustle otherwise, he sulked and seems like he still is.  He and Erhoff were part of the reason why the Sabres never made the next step... Erhoff at least tried, both were brought in with promise but they Euro'd it when things didn't go their way... booo hooo.  Ville can take his hood and nu on it. 

Leino was over hyped by many.  NHL analysts had Leino as one of the top 5 free agents available in the 2011 offseason.  Sabres needed a center, yes, I know his position played in the NHL was on the wing, and Darcy felt Leino would play well as a center.  He had success at that position in Finland.  We all know Leino turned out to be a complete bust.  He couldn't handle all of the expectations.  That or he simply didn't have the talent many thought he had.  

Edited by GoPre, 17 May 2017 - 02:31 AM.

#52 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Life is ###### hard. I make good money which equates to a decent life. I'm one lucky chump. I grew up in border town Quebec/Akwesasne/Adirondacks. I've seen the very poor of the poor. My Dad was tops on the list for the DEC to contact for unwanted roadkill. Anyone that fails to delight in their great fortune to be wealthy can go lick a stick. They can also go ###### themselves.

I do love me a good rant - especially a pithy one. This is aces.

There's no rule against feeling trapped and depressed no matter how "good" your situation is.

Great sentiment.

Is anyone arguing this?

I think many here are suggesting it.

Almost every post in this thread takes jabs at the guy. 

Oh, for sure. The jabs are being taken. And some of them are pretty good ones.

The clickbait headline, or whatever, "Ville makes hoodie that says his time in Buffalo was like jail" is misleading. When you read his little blurb on why he created that (awful) art, you get a much different vibe off it.

I don't bear any ill will for Ville. We went around and around on this in another thread, after his feature on Beyond Blue and Gold. There was that part of the interview where he seemed to suggest that his mom would basically tear him away from his piano practice to go play hockey. You got the feeling that, while he was really effing good at hockey, he never really loved playing, and he came to feel pretty indifferently toward having a career in it (feelings that would become positive when things were going well (Philly) and negative when they were not (Buffalo)).

#53 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

He should at least chop an ear off or something. He's got to do something to step up his whiny emo game. Comparing ridicule from fans to jail doesn't exactly inspire sympathy.

#54 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,013 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

What's the deal with the self-referential posts in this thread?  I'm very worried about the state of the space-time continuum.

#55 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

What's the deal with the self-referential posts in this thread?  I'm very worried about the state of the space-time continuum.

Blame CERN

#56 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,464 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

Is anyone arguing this?

I'll carry that flag. Ville gets no sympathy from me. Dude mailed it in and played his way right out of the league. He should have done us all a favor and just retired from the NHL if he felt so bad about making all that money. 

Ohhhh wait. He didn't feel bad at all. And now he's turning those crocodile tears into profit. 

What a tool. 

#57 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,013 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Blame CERN

I don't know what that is.  Can I just blame the Flash instead?

#58 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,027 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

I am. Being miserable at work is being miserable at work, no matter how much you're getting paid. I don't wish that on anyone.

I think his artwork shows that he was incredibly depressed and may still be.

#59 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,464 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

I think his artwork shows that he was incredibly depressed and may still be.

I'm not buying. That's not the artwork of a depressed person. That's the art work of that person you know who always talks about how depressed they are and uses it as an excuse. 

#60 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 29,027 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

I'm not buying. That's not the artwork of a depressed person. That's the art work of that person you know who always talks about how depressed they are and uses it as an excuse. 

This is the same guy who said he wanted to play piano but he was forced to practice his hockey first.

#61 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,464 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

This is the same guy who said he wanted to play piano but he was forced to practice his hockey first.

So? He's an adult now. He's got a boatload of money. Quit hockey, go see a shrink, play piano until your fingers fall off. 

All I see is a guy looking for ways to excuse the fact that he's a bum. 

#62 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,845 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

So? He's an adult now. He's got a boatload of money. Quit hockey, go see a shrink, play piano until your fingers fall off. 

Sheesh. With this attitude, it's only a matter of time before I see you selling a line of Emo shirts.

#63 Cygnus X 1

Cygnus X 1

El Capitan!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Scroll down, it shows a link to a related article............... 'all 10 of Ville Leino's goals as a Buffalo Sabre'............... LOL!!

https://www.thescore...a-buffalo-sabre

He actually scored 10 goals with the Sabres?

I'm gonna design a hoodie with a garbage can overflowing with money on the front and his name and number on the back. I'm gonna call it "waste"

#64 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,464 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Sheesh. With this attitude, it's only a matter of time before I see you selling a line of Emo shirts.

And you don't have to buy them if you too think that I am full of sh*t, just as I think Ville is. 

#65 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

That's the art work of that person you know who always talks about how depressed they are and uses it as an excuse. 

Haha - an emo type, eh?

He actually scored 10 goals with the Sabres?

I'm gonna design a hoodie with a garbage can overflowing with money on the front and his name and number on the back. I'm gonna call it "waste"

I'd love it even more if you could somehow work in a visual reference to the 10 goals.

#66 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

:wub:

#67 Cygnus X 1

Cygnus X 1

El Capitan!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

Haha - an emo type, eh?

I'd love it even more if you could somehow work in a visual reference to the 10 goals.

Maybe instead of calling the artwork waste, it can be called "TEN"

#68 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Maybe instead of calling the artwork waste, it can be called "TEN"

Right - with a garbage/refuse/waste theme.

#69 ddaryl

ddaryl

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

LMAO

he wasn't even looking for sympathy he simply stated where the idea for his design came from. Lets face the facts even the fans felt like they were in jail watching the crap  they put on the ice as a whole during that period and still are. Do some of you just always look for a skewer in life, maybe step back and look at it from a different perspective.  You all cant aspire to be Jerry Sullivans and Bucky Gleasons, or do you ?

and art is interpretive he'll sell a bunch because lots of people like that style

and what does money have to do with anything. People with money have the similar struggles in their lives and have ot cope and money doesn't make things easier it just brings on new stresses and new issues to deal with.

its sad how low some Buffalonian sports fans have fallen. Been a rough run but there is very little class being shown anymore. But few of you like to pretend a mole hill is a mountain

Edited by ddaryl, 17 May 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#70 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

I don't know how he can think about his Buffalo playing days getting all those BJ's from supermodels in his multi-million dollar mansion.

Edited by inkman, 17 May 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#71 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

I'd expect that everyone here has had to eat a poop sandwich from time to time at work.  That's life.

I'd also expect that no one here has gotten paid over $25MM to play a game for a living.  That's a freaking miracle. 

So, when those 2 worlds collided for him, if Ville wanted my advice on what to do, I would've told him to voice any complaints/angst he had very quietly and only to wife/inner circle, and always qualified by "I know how lucky I am, but..."

Or, if he really had/has depression (and I think 11 could certainly be right about that), then tell the world, but do so in the context of trying to help others deal with their depression/other mental health issues.  That would take some guts and be admirable, or at least reasonably OK.

Doing what he did -- i.e. telling the world how tough it was for him in connection with selling his artwork online -- makes him look like a self-absorbed DB, IMHO. 

#72 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

LMAO

he wasn't even looking for sympathy he simply stated where the idea for his design came from. Lets face the facts even the fans felt like they were in jail watching the crap  they put on the ice as a whole during that period and still are. Do some of you just always look for a skewer in life, maybe step back and look at it from a different perspective.  You all cant aspire to be Jerry Sullivans and Bucky Gleasons, or do you ?

and art is interpretive he'll sell a bunch because lots of people like that style

and what does money have to do with anything. People with money have the similar struggles in their lives and have ot cope and money doesn't make things easier it just brings on new stresses and new issues to deal with.

its sad how low some Buffalonian sports fans have fallen. Been a rough run but there is very little class being shown anymore. But few of you like to pretend a mole hill is a mountain

Isn't making a mountain out of a mole hill exactly what Leino is doing though? Comparing failing to meet performance expectations and being booed for it to being in jail seems like the exact same thing you are accusing others of.

#73 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,845 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

LMAO

Good post.

I'd expect that everyone here has had to eat a poop sandwich from time to time at work.  That's life.

I'd also expect that no one here has gotten paid over $25MM to play a game for a living.  That's a freaking miracle. 

So, when those 2 worlds collided for him, if Ville wanted my advice on what to do, I would've told him to voice any complaints/angst he had very quietly and only to wife/inner circle, and always qualified by "I know how lucky I am, but..."

1 Or, if he really had/has depression (and I think 11 could certainly be right about that), then tell the world, but do so in the context of trying to help others deal with their depression/other mental health issues.  That would take some guts and be admirable, or at least reasonably OK.

2 Doing what he did -- i.e. telling the world how tough it was for him in connection with selling his artwork online -- makes him look like a self-absorbed DB, IMHO. 

First bolded. Is it really everyone's job to save the world. If he's truly struggling, he is in no position to help others.

Second. Really? You of all people I would think wouldn't have a problem with this. Free market economy, right? He found something marketable (emo angst) and is making money marketing that (while simultaneously working through some issues.) Good for him.

Edited by SwampD, 17 May 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#74 kas23

kas23

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

But he wasn't trapped. He had the financial means to easily walk away. As another poster pointed out, he could've asked for his release, had his agent seek a trade, or just dissolve his contract and walk away.

#75 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

But he wasn't trapped. He had the financial means to easily walk away. As another poster pointed out, he could've asked for his release, had his agent seek a trade, or just dissolve his contract and walk away.

Or even better, put his nose to the grindstone, reinvent his game with effort and hard work and make his contract somewhat tolerable. Instead, he Lally gagged his way through years of whining, extremely questionable effort and poor body language.

#76 (E5)

(E5)

Eklund's Rumors Are False (e5)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

This.

#77 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

Perhaps he felt like he owed Buffalo to be better, and didn't want to give up. I know from experience one of the worst feelings in life is that you can do better, but every time you try it doesn't actually turn out any better.

#78 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

First bolded. Is it really everyone's job to save the world. If he's truly struggling, he is in no position to help others.

Second. Really? You of all people I would think wouldn't have a problem with this. Free market economy, right? He found something marketable (emo angst) and is making money marketing that (while simultaneously working through some issues.) Good for him.

Of course it's not his job to save the world, and of course he is free to market his angst, just as he's free to market photos of his dog's morning bowel movements.  However, the rest of the world is also free to react negatively to his marketing efforts.

My point was simply that if he is working through his issues, a less self-absorbed way of doing so -- and thus a way that would've incurred a more positive reaction -- would've been to have done so by helping other people.  There are certainly many other methods he could've chosen that would also have been less annoying.

#79 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,049 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

It's just that easy. 

#80 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

Lol at anyone that has an emotional response to this.