Photo

2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

• Please log in to reply
653 replies to this topic

#641 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

What is the downside to spreading our six "best" forwards over three balanced lines — Jack/Pommers, ROR/KO, Sam/Evander?

Have Girgensons, Pouliot, Moulson and the Rochester four battle it out for the other three spots, with Grumpy Larry as the tenth forward.

#642 ericcomposer72

ericcomposer72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

What is the downside to spreading our six "best" forwards over three balanced lines — Jack/Pommers, ROR/KO, Sam/Evander?

Have Girgensons, Pouliot, Moulson and the Rochester four battle it out for the other three spots, with Grumpy Larry as the tenth forward.

I really like the idea of Sam centering Evander, even though I think the analytics say Eichel centering Evander was the most productive for both. I'd be curious to see the former, though.

#643 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

Or Girgs and Grumpy Larry battle it out for the final center spot.

I'd love to see Sam/Evander with a little Pomminstein added.

#644 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

I really like the idea of Sam centering Evander, even though I think the analytics say Eichel centering Evander was the most productive for both. I'd be curious to see the former, though.

Jack and Evander had a great scoring rate together but a ludicrously high GA/60, much higher than their GF/60, so I don't know that they're a good pair unless you have a good defensive winger on the other side and use them appropriately.

#645 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

Interesting stats-based lineup prediction/analysis over at The Buffalo Star today, including links to supplemental reading for those who want to dig deeper. 

https://www.thebuffa...revised-roster/

That was a really good read. If that's the type of quality we get from The Buffalo Star, consider me on board.

Interesting that the style analysis say give Zemgus a shot on Eichel's wing. That and the placement of Reinhart as 3rd line center with Pouliot and Larrson (not sure about Larry at RW, but interesting nonetheless)

#646 ericcomposer72

ericcomposer72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Or Girgs and Grumpy Larry battle it out for the final center spot.

And if GIrgs wins, trade the latter!

#647 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

And if GIrgs wins, trade the latter!

Maybe, maybe not.  DDB slotted the players they way he thought best.  We have known for a while, his thinking isn't always the most insightful.  Let the new regime slot their players in the way they think best, then figure out how to best to allocate the leavings.

Maybe one silver lining coming out of the DDB era is that a lot of the players won't take their positions for granted under Housley.  DDB messed with the natural order of things enough that the players have seen how bad it can be, so hopefully they will be open to Housley's version of the lineup.

#648 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

I think this board underestimates the contributions that Johan Larsson made to this team last year before being injured. 

#649 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

I think this board underestimates the contributions that Johan Larsson made to this team last year before being injured. 

Agreed.

#650 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,453 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

That was a really good read. If that's the type of quality we get from The Buffalo Star, consider me on board.

Interesting that the style analysis say give Zemgus a shot on Eichel's wing. That and the placement of Reinhart as 3rd line center with Pouliot and Larrson (not sure about Larry at RW, but interesting nonetheless)

Zemgus with Eichel is something I think a lot of us want to see tried out.

I think Reinhart and Larsson might switch off center duty on that third line. It could work.

Yup.

#651 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Larsson will be a good player for Buffalo

#652 ericcomposer72

ericcomposer72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

I don't; it's more probable that I overestimate Zemgus's ceiling...

#653 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Dilution of scoring on the two lines that get the most ice time.

#654 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

I'm going to be paying particular attention to Larsson this season. I didn't notice a ton that made me appreciate him last season, so I'm chalking that up to not focussing on him enough.

Zemgus with Eichel is something I think a lot of us want to see tried out.
I think Reinhart and Larsson might switch off center duty on that third line. It could work.

Yup.

Isn't it established that Larsson hasn't been a good winger? Much less on his off side. I don't he's slotted in as a RW at all.