After the team has gone 2-8-2 in their last 12 despite GMTM's pep talk and it's becoming a fait accompli that DD is going to be shown the door for this team's lack of improvement in the standings, the next and only question left is should GMTM keep his job as well?
This is highly unlikely but there is growing body of evidence that he may not be the man for the job or at the very least, PSE needs to hire someone to mentor him like Tor did for Shanny.
1) Roster is hopelessly flawed. This is mostly about the 4 lousy D he acquired, and his failure to properly build D depth, but also the abundance of forwards that aren't really helping the team.
2) Poor professional player evaluation. Look no further then the D.
3) Mediocre trades and acquisitions. Poor trades like the McNabb and Pysyk deals headline the list, but with the except of ROR, all the major trades have some questionable aspects like the taking on Legwand and his cap hit in the Lehner deal. Add the length and size of the Moulson contract. Right now the Sabres are saddled with 4 terrible contracts to the tune of 20 mil and all were either given or acquired by GMTM despite only 3 years on the job. Frankly only FA acquisitions Gionta and Okposo are earning their paycheck.
4) Bombastic personality and attitude. His pep talk failed to inspire the team, especially when you consider he also recently blamed the players for a bad road trip in the media. They may not be playing hard for DD anymore, but this may also be a response to playing for GMTM. This might also be hurting his ability to recruit, especially younger players to Buffalo, such as Vesey, Bayreuther, Caggulia, and now Petersen. With Eichel and Risto to play with you'd think people would be clamoring to come here.
5) Rebuild plan might also be hopelessly flawed. He told everyone that he could build a contender in 3 years. His plan to trade assets for youngish vets to move the team into contention faster has clearly failed, mostly because he done a crappy job of acquiring these youngish vets. Kane, Bogo, Franson, Kuilkov, ROR, Lehner and Okposo were all part of that plan. None of the defenders have worked and their is reason to worry that Kane might want out and that Lehner, although much improved, has some significant flaws in his game to keep him from being the anchor for the team long-term. He has now retreated from his earlier statements. No surprise, but now if he goes toward the traditional rebuild, he has traded away significant assets that should have been in place.
6) He hired DD .
Once he pushes DD out the door, the 2nd coach he'll have fired, the focus will be solely on him. He created this mess and now he has no choice but to own it. If we don't make significant progress under his new coach, there is no one left to blame is there?
And the winner is....... Thanks TM. See ya!