186 replies to this topic

#161 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

you believe people go to these games to actually watch them? I would think, especially with the Buffalo crowd, 90% are there to drink in public at an event. No One actually cares about the game going on

I was at the first, and IMO best, Winter Classic, and it was great. And you could actually watch the game because (drum roll, cymbal crash) football stadiums have the correct layout for watching hockey.

33823_1769537604802_4724422_n.jpg?oh=518

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 22 December 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#162 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

Ill be at this one, unless in outfield Citifield should be great... tight stadium.

#163 Brawndo

Brawndo

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

I was at the first, and IMO best, Winter Classic, and it was great. And you could actually watch the game because (drum roll, cymbal crash) football stadiums have the correct layout for watching hockey.

33823_1769537604802_4724422_n.jpg?oh=518

Love that jersey

#164 carpandean

carpandean

If it ain't worth making a chart, it ain't worth saying.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

I'm sure they could paint an approved mask to resemble such but alas it would not be the same

Yeah, you would end up with some weird looking thing like Price's ...

d1874419ea9c1b3aafeb65f0911de5e5--hockey

#165 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Make it two in a row kick the Rags butt
Section 123 row 28 seats 1-6 no snow though :(

#166 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Shut the blank up, you selfish blank!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,138 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

There doesn't seem to be a ton of enthusiasm among Sabre fans for this one. For obvious reasons, but there's also the outdoor game fatigue, I think.

#167 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • 34,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

There doesn't seem to be a ton of enthusiasm among Sabre fans for this one. For obvious reasons, but there's also the outdoor game fatigue, I think.

It's because the only good outdoor games are played here and all others are inferior.

#168 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,739 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

There is outdoor game fatigue, but I still love the Winter Classic. Sitting around on a cold New Years afternoon watching sports and drinking beer just feels right.

#169 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • 34,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

There is outdoor game fatigue, but I still love the Winter Classic. Sitting around on a cold New Years afternoon watching sports and drinking beer just feels right.

Tomorrow afternoon is going to be a nice sports day for me. Everton v Man United at 12:30, then Winter Classic at 1:00, then Georgia v Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl at 5:00. 

#170 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

Lots of pictures on social media of the Sabres practicing in their WC jerseys and taking a team photo.

These REALLY need to be the new set. It's actually astonishing how much better they look in the correct shade of blue and with a stripe pattern that will actually show up on TV.

#171 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

https://twitter.com/...494566147575808

pretty awesome team photo!

#172 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 30,015 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Playing a home game in Queens has to be counted among the reasons.

#173 carpandean

carpandean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

https://twitter.com/...494566147575808

pretty awesome team photo!

The jerseys are good, not great, on their own (actually, seeing them in person at Dick's, they looked better than online.)  However, they work very well as part of the uniform.

#174 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,213 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

Playing a home game in Queens has to be counted among the reasons.

That's been a big part of it here.

NBC choosing to mount the main camera on a drone was annoying as well.

#175 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Shut the blank up, you selfish blank!

• Members
  • 27,138 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

I think they knew they'd be ticking off the traditional fan, but the idea of the game is to sell hockey to everyone else. I didn't hate it as much by the third period.

#176 Mick O’Manly

Mick O’Manly

Translate it yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,307 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

I didn't hate it as much by the third period.

Agreed. The shadows settled and the camera did too.
And then a hockey game broke out.

Edited by Mick O’Manly, 01 January 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#177 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,213 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

I think they knew they'd be ticking off the traditional fan, but the idea of the game is to sell hockey to everyone else. I didn't hate it as much by the third period.

They used it much more like a football primary sideline camera by the 3rd period. In the 1st, it was a bad video game - especially w/ the shadows.

#178 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • 20,891 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

The whole NY centric agenda being forced down our throats was pretty annoying. Not sure if anyone associated with the NHL understands how little Buffalo identifies with anything NY. It may as well be another country. Maybe I'm in the minority but as a western New Yorker I loathe most things NYC, this game just feels like an abomination.

#179 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

The whole NY centric agenda being forced down our throats was pretty annoying. Not sure if anyone associated with the NHL understands how little Buffalo identifies with anything NY. It may as well be another country. Maybe I'm in the minority but as a western New Yorker I loathe most things NYC, this game just feels like an abomination.

I'm right with you.

#180 carpandean

carpandean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:58 AM

I'm right with you.

Me, too.  Fun place to visit every few years, but not someplace I want to associate with on a day-to-day basis.

I made a list in another thread, but there are several states that are entirely closer to NYC than Buffalo, a bunch more that are mostly closer and a few more that are partially closer.  So many cities are significantly closer.

#181 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

Just so you know, drone on a wire, like a football game. It was weird watching it move in person.

#182 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,213 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

Just so you know, drone on a wire, like a football game. It was weird watching it move in person.

Which for an occassional shot or a replay is fine. There's a reason they don't show an entire football game from that ####ing thing.

#183 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

Which for an occassional shot or a replay is fine. There's a reason they don't show an entire football game from that ####ing thing.

My guess is due to the crappy sightlines of playing hockey in a baseball stadium, there wasn't a better location to shoot from without putting a 30' tower at home plate.

#184 Taro T

Taro T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,213 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

My guess is due to the crappy sightlines of playing hockey in a baseball stadium, there wasn't a better location to shoot from without putting a 30' tower at home plate.

So, don't play the game in a ####ing baseball stadium. IF ONLY they knew where they could find a football field with enough seating capacity AND a wiilingness to put a sheet of ice down during the NFL season that was w/in the 7 hour driving range that is apparently the "home" team's market. <_<

This is something like the 25th outdoor game they've played in a baseball stadium. The broadcasts for all of the other 24 or so weren't some producion director playing X Box. (A couple may have been, normally avoid the random outdoor games like the plague so not positive for all, but definitely several weren't.) And if the shadows were that much of a problem, how about ####ing planning for that ahead of time? Seriously, they didn't know it would possibly be sunny at 1PM? Have they never, even casually, watched a Mets game to get an idea of what shadowing could/would be expected? /rant

Edited by Taro T, 02 January 2018 - 12:07 PM.

#185 Kottbullar

Kottbullar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

All they needed to do was start the game later... Its a winter sun, so shadows different than during baseball season. They put the rink too far out and couldve brought it closer to home plate. Mets organization including ticket sales for this one was all messed up. No wonder the Mets stink... the Wilpons are classless owners all the way around and get panned on the radio all the time as screw ups. Still fun to watch in person but they’re fin nuts if they think Ill ever go to another Mets game until a new ownership group takes over. Was raised a Mets fan b/c of Grandmother... so really sad to say this.

Edited by Kottbullar, 02 January 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#186 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,629 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

It seemed like after the 1st period they used the ordinary camera angles most of the time.

Maybe the shadows made those cameras unusable in the 1st? 

#187 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

So, don't play the game in a ####ing baseball stadium. IF ONLY they knew where they could find a football field with enough seating capacity AND a wiilingness to put a sheet of ice down during the NFL season that was w/in the 7 hour driving range that is apparently the "home" team's market. <_<

This is something like the 25th outdoor game they've played in a baseball stadium. The broadcasts for all of the other 24 or so weren't some producion director playing X Box. (A couple may have been, normally avoid the random outdoor games like the plague so not positive for all, but definitely several weren't.) And if the shadows were that much of a problem, how about ####ing planning for that ahead of time? Seriously, they didn't know it would possibly be sunny at 1PM? Have they never, even casually, watched a Mets game to get an idea of what shadowing could/would be expected? /rant

I'm coming to a theory that they play in baseball stadiums a lot because the league is worried that some (many?) cities wouldn't fill an 80,000 seat stadium. That's all I got, other than perhaps other city's football locations are less desperate and turn the league down. Of course, in the NYC area, the stadium is in use every week (by necessity) so if they're going to keep catering to the market they don't have any other options.