Photo

How to Fix the D Both Short and Long-term?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Should Return

Should Gorges Return (He made 3.9 mill this season)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Should Kulikov Be Re-Signed? (He made 4.3 mill this season)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Should Franson Be Re-Signed (He made 3.3 mill this year)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Sabre fan

Sabre fan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

hate to say it but our D is actually as good or better then many other teams...it is just that their coaches let the players play to their strengths, not all made to play a boring, hang-on-for-dear-life system that both Lindy and Blysma love. It didn;t work when Lindy was here, and it ain't working now either here nor in Dallas...I wish we'd grab Hitchcock before dallas does for next season

#42 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,745 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

hate to say it but our D is actually as good or better then many other teams...it is just that their coaches let the players play to their strengths, not all made to play a boring, hang-on-for-dear-life system that both Lindy and Blysma love. It didn;t work when Lindy was here, and it ain't working now either here nor in Dallas...I wish we'd grab Hitchcock before dallas does for next season

It didn't work because it's not what they did then.

I do agree that the defensive personnel are average and not bad.

#43 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

Play in Florida:  Good question.  When we made the trade I looked at Kulikov's numbers and advanced stats and I thought he was a more of a 5 the top 4.  His possession number were mediocre and his offensive output had been declining over the previous 3/4 season.  His possession numbers were the reason Fla put him on the market.  When compared to Pysyk'ds numbers it didn't seem like much of an upgrade and for the additional cap cost, I didn't think the deal made any sense or was necessary especially when you watch the D group improve over the 2nd half of last year with McCabe and Pysyk in the lineup.  

Of course the injury has played a role, but if if he is so hurt he can't practice or be effective when playing why isn't he on LTIR.  Same with Bogo.  

I think Murray should have had more depth on D entering the season then he did and then once he was calling up Guhle and Burgdorfer he should have made a move or two to shore up the D in Buffalo and/or Rochester instead of simply grabbing marginal ECHL D to fill in for the callups. Having better depth might have allowed us to keep Bogo and Kulikov on the IR until fully healed without sabotaging the season.  Remember that Falk and Fedun were intended to be the no.1 pair in Rochester, not the no. 2 pair in Buffalo.  Considering Bogo injury history and the fact that every team goes through significant injuries, yes GMTM should have anticipated someone getting hurt.

Other guys to sign instead of Franson?  Not sure.  The FA class in 2015 was pretty week and I don't know who was available in trade and for how much.  Regardless, the 2 year deal for a slow skating guy that no one else was giving a 2 year offer to was not smart and a waste of nearly $7 million.  Also the combination of Kulikov and Franson's cap hits helped put us pretty close to the cap this season, and limited GMTM's ability to take on another big contract.  

There's more to assessing a player than just numbers. If you've watched him play extensively over the last several years, you would know. 

The reason Kuli was shipped out was because of his contract. The Panthers were in the process of working out several long term deals with their core and needed room, Kuli was the best option to move because he is a free agent after this year. They weren't going to hold on to a player when they weren't sure if he'd return, when they needed the space. 

He is a legitimate top 4, any team that gets him will be playing him top 4 minutes. Perhaps 2/3 minutes when he gets healthy and is comfortable with his linemates. 

Murray would be stupid to not try to sign him because he could be had for cheap because of his injury, and he's better than Goober lets him be. 

You mention that Kuli and Franson's contract kept Murray from doing anything more with the roster. What fantasy world do you live in where a team can have two legitimate top 4 D-men (in place of Franson and Bogo) and not have to pay for them?

I understand your view and your frustration, but your points are misguided and beyond realistic. 

#44 etiennep99

etiennep99

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Cale Makar:

I quote from TheHockeyWriters.com:

Standing 5 foot 10 inches and weighing in at 180 pounds, Makar’s best individual qualities as a defender are his skating abilities and his skill set with the puck.

A fleet-footed skater who can traverse the ice with ease, Makar combines his strong first step and explosive acceleration with sharp edges and ample agility. Once at full speed, Makar has no issue stopping and starting or darting in and out of traffic in order to generate offensive opportunities.

From McKeen's:

Brooks Bandits' defenceman Cale Makar not only made his debut in the top 30 rankings, he rocketed up the charts to crack McKeen's top 20 and be rated as the top Canadian defenceman in the draft.

Looking at video, he looks like he compares to Torey Krug, Phil Housley, & Tyler Ennis.   We need scoring from D.  Let Risto play more 5:5. 

Cale Makar is a RHD, but he plays LD in the videos.   As we know from Phil Housley, smaller d-men can struggle on the boards and in front of the net.

But Housley is Hall of Fame material.  And Torey Krug is getting it done at only 5'9".   Cale Makar is young enough to think that he could grow more

and add more weight.

What do y'all think?

#45 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Kulikov is moot; he's getting as far from Buffalo as he can when UFA hits.
It's interesting the Franson has been quite vocal that he wants to stay.

I have no issue with Franson returning as a 5/6 and being paid accordingly to play alongside Guhle.
What I would have issue with is not acquiring the player Kulikov was supposed to be, and/or Franson, Gorges and Falk being dressed for the same game.

Edited by dudacek, 08 March 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#46 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

The new FL Gm said he moved him because of his poor analytics and a diminished role on the team because they acquired Yandle.  Basically he didn't see him as a top 4 defender on his playoff caliber team going forward.  His $4 mill contract didn't help, but considering they still have $9 mill in cap space, trading him for cap reasons only wasn't the case.  His declining offensive output was also a factor (they essentially signed Yandle to take his spot) and Kulikov himself admitted at the time of the trade that he need to be better offensively.  I guess 1g and 1a in 39 games is the better offense he was hoping for.

Franson is not a top 4 D and as I've illustrated many times his stats are similar to other bottom pairing D earning $1 mill.  He is too slow, not physical enough for his size, doesn't block enough shots, takes lazy penalties because of his bad positioning and lack of speed, but other then that he's fine.  Again his signing by GMTM was a mistake when it was made.  A slow RD is not what you sign when you state you need a quick puck moving LD.  Also giving the guy, who none of the other 29 GMs wanted to give a two year deal to was a rookie mistake and it saddled us with 3.3 mil invested unnecessarily in a 3rd pairing guy.

Now you compound that with Kulikov.  GMTM couldn't secure Fowler from Ana so he traded Pysyk for Kulikov to get his "balance".  This despite our unbalanced D playing pretty solid hockey in the 2nd half of the last season (Franson excepted). This trade added another $3 to our cap.  So ok, we get a guy who has played top 4 minutes and "looked" ok doing it.  However, when things turned sour because of bad play and injuries, GMTM now had sunk 16 mill into 4 under-performing D (Bogo 5.1, Gorges 4, Kulikov 4 and Franson 3.3) and we were up against the cap at $71 mill.  This lack of cap room kept GMTM from having the cap space to even attempt to make an in season deal to try to steady the ship.  Now step back and ask, if you don't trade for Kulikov and keep Pysyk that adds another 3 mill of cap space. Now you have imho a better player and $5 mill in cap space to try to make a move to steady the ship.  

Also by giving Franson a two year deal, GMTM now had 4 RD.  Someone was ultimately the odd man out.  GMTM dumped Pysyk because between him and Franson, Pysyk had trade value.  Had GMTM only given Franson a 1 yr prove it deal (like the rest of the NHL wanted to do) he could have let Franson walk after the lousy year, kept Pysyk, a cheap 3rd pairng RD, and then gone after the LD he wanted in the first place. 

GMTM would also be an idiot to re-sign Kulikov.  Yes, he hasn't been healthy, but his performance when on the ice is among the worst of regular NHL D.  He now has a concussion, in addition to other issues.  His recent quote made it seem like he doesn't want to be here.  See yeah Dmitry!  

No Kuilkov wouldn't be playing top 4 minutes for any team in the NHL.  In fact on most contending teams he'd be a 5. Ana, Minn, NYI, Chi & Nashville are 5 teams off the top of my head that have 4 D better then a healthy Kulikov, many making the same money or less.  Add Stl, before they traded Shattenkirk and arguably even the SJ Sharks and Wash, who is now 6 deep with Shattenkirk.  I doubt Carolina would move any of their kids to make room for Kulikov either.  

The bottomline is that we need to reinvent this D group.  McCabe and Risto are the core and continue to grow, improve and prove they are the heart of this group.  We need more speed, better in zone play and if lucky more O support, but I'd settle for the more speed and better zone play for now.

We are stuck with Bogo and his terrible contract, but he might be fixable.  At least we have seen him play good hockey part of last year.  However, Gorges (buyout) and Franson (UFA) need to go asap because they don't skate well enough and don't add enough other intangibles (like blocking shotsor big time O production or play the PK well) to warrant a return.  Also Kulikov needs to go.  Sometimes it's best for all parties to part company after a disastrous season.  

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#47 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Kulikov is moot; he's getting as far from Buffalo as he can when UFA hits.
It's interesting the Franson has been quite vocal that he wants to stay.

I have no issue with Franson returning as a 5/6 and being paid accordingly to play alongside Guhle.
What I would have issue with is not acquiring the player Kulikov was supposed to be, and/or Franson, Gorges and Falk being dressed for the same game.

I'd very much like for Franson to return on a 1 year deal to play the bottom pair. His shortcomings are about as aesthetically displeasing as they come, but he's effective in that role.

#48 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

I'd very much like for Franson to return on a 1 year deal to play the bottom pair. His shortcomings are about as aesthetically displeasing as they come, but he's effective in that role.

Ok, lets say he is an effective 3rd pairing guy (I disagree, but...) how much will it cost to keep him?  Another $3 mill.  Don't you think we can get the same production and play for less?  Why pay $3 mill for a $1 mill product?

#49 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Ok, lets say he is an effective 3rd pairing guy (I disagree, but...) how much will it cost to keep him? Another $3 mill. Don't you think we can get the same production and play for less? Why pay $3 mill for a $1 mill product?

You honestly think he'd get a raise from his current contract? I don't.

#50 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

You honestly think he'd get a raise from his current contract? I don't.

He make $3.3 now.  Giving him $3 would be a 10% pay cut.  So how much is his slow footed, no shot blocking, no PK play, lazy penalties with mediocre offense worth to you?    

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#51 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

JJ, Fla has 17 players signed for 53 mill, that 20 mill for 5 more players,  Looks like plenty of room to me, but considering he is a UFA after this year, next year's cap space is irrelevant.

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#52 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

He make $3.3 now. Giving him $3 would be a 10% pay cut. So how much is his slow footed, no shot blocking, no PK play, lazy penalties with mediocre offense worth to you?

I stand corrected. For whatever reason, I thought he was at $2.3M, not $3.3M. I'm comfortable with low 2s, up to maybe the mythical 2.3 figure I thought he was at.

#53 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

The new FL Gm said he moved him because of his poor analytics and a diminished role on the team because they acquired Yandle. Basically he didn't see him as a top 4 defender on his playoff caliber team going forward. His $4 mill contract didn't help, but considering they still have $9 mill in cap space, trading him for cap reasons only wasn't the case. His declining offensive output was also a factor (they essentially signed Yandle to take his spot) and Kulikov himself admitted at the time of the trade that he need to be better offensively. I guess 1g and 1a in 39 games is the better offense he was hoping for.

Franson is not a top 4 D and as I've illustrated many times his stats are similar to other bottom pairing D earning $1 mill. He is too slow, not physical enough for his size, doesn't block enough shots, takes lazy penalties because of his bad positioning and lack of speed, but other then that he's fine. Again his signing by GMTM was a mistake when it was made. A slow RD is not what you sign when you state you need a quick puck moving LD. Also giving the guy, who none of the other 29 GMs wanted to give a two year deal to was a rookie mistake and it saddled us with 3.3 mil invested unnecessarily in a 3rd pairing guy.

Now you compound that with Kulikov. GMTM couldn't secure Fowler from Ana so he traded Pysyk for Kulikov to get his "balance". This despite our unbalanced D playing pretty solid hockey in the 2nd half of the last season (Franson excepted). This trade added another $3 to our cap. So ok, we get a guy who has played top 4 minutes and "looked" ok doing it. However, when things turned sour because of bad play and injuries, GMTM now had sunk 16 mill into 4 under-performing D (Bogo 5.1, Gorges 4, Kulikov 4 and Franson 3.3) and we were up against the cap at $71 mill. This lack of cap room kept GMTM from having the cap space to even attempt to make an in season deal to try to steady the ship. Now step back and ask, if you don't trade for Kulikov and keep Pysyk that adds another 3 mill of cap space. Now you have imho a better player and $5 mill in cap space to try to make a move to steady the ship.

Also by giving Franson a two year deal, GMTM now had 4 RD. Someone was ultimately the odd man out. GMTM dumped Pysyk because between him and Franson, Pysyk had trade value. Had GMTM only given Franson a 1 yr prove it deal (like the rest of the NHL wanted to do) he could have let Franson walk after the lousy year, kept Pysyk, a cheap 3rd pairng RD, and then gone after the LD he wanted in the first place.

GMTM would also be an idiot to re-sign Kulikov. Yes, he hasn't been healthy, but his performance when on the ice is among the worst of regular NHL D. He now has a concussion, in addition to other issues. His recent quote made it seem like he doesn't want to be here. See yeah Dmitry!

No Kuilkov wouldn't be playing top 4 minutes for any team in the NHL. In fact on most contending teams he'd be a 5. Ana, Minn, NYI, Chi & Nashville are 5 teams off the top of my head that have 4 D better then a healthy Kulikov, many making the same money or less. Add Stl, before they traded Shattenkirk and arguably even the SJ Sharks and Wash, who is now 6 deep with Shattenkirk. I doubt Carolina would move any of their kids to make room for Kulikov either.

The bottomline is that we need to reinvent this D group. McCabe and Risto are the core and continue to grow, improve and prove they are the heart of this group. We need more speed, better in zone play and if lucky more O support, but I'd settle for the more speed and better zone play for now.

We are stuck with Bogo and his terrible contract, but he might be fixable. At least we have seen him play good hockey part of last year. However, Gorges (buyout) and Franson (UFA) need to go asap because they don't skate well enough and don't add enough other intangibles (like blocking shotsor big time O production or play the PK well) to warrant a return. Also Kulikov needs to go. Sometimes it's best for all parties to part company after a disastrous season.

Kuli's been playing top 4 minutes for the last seven years. His TOI never dropped.

Of course he was the odd man out, most guys would be if Yardley comes in. Advanced stats played a role but if salaries were reversed between Kuli and Pysyk, that deal is never made.

Of course they have cap room, those contracts don't kick in until next year. Tell me how much room they have next year, the year I was referring to.

To say that Kuli wouldn't get top 4 minutes on any team is ludicrous. You're view of what a 3/4 D-men is in today's NHL is highly unrealistic.

#54 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Cody Franson team ranks among defensemen:

CF%: 1st
xG%: 1st
GF%: 3rd

He's ugly, but he's not bad.

#55 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

JJ, Fla has 17 players signed for 53 mill, that 20 mill for 5 more players,  Looks like plenty of room to me, but considering he is a UFA after this year, next year's cap space is irrelevant.

Kuli's been playing top 4 minutes for the last seven years. His TOI never dropped.

Of course he was the odd man out, most guys would be if Yardley comes in. Advanced stats played a role but if salaries were reversed between Kuli and Pysyk, that deal is never made.

Of course they have cap room, those contracts don't kick in until next year. Tell me how much room they have next year, the year I was referring to.

To say that Kuli wouldn't get top 4 minutes on any team is ludicrous. You're view of what a 3/4 D-men is in today's NHL is highly unrealistic.

I didn't say any team.  I said a good team, a contending team.  Just because Kulikov played top 4 minutes for a terrible hockey team for 7 years doesn't mean he would or should in Buffalo or anywhere else.  Also his production this season would have him at the bottom pairing for nearly every team. If Buffalo is going to be a contender, a mediocre overpaid player is the last thing they need playing in the top 4.   We have enough in Moulson, Ennis, Bogo, and Gorges.

Furthermore Fla has no cap issues this season or next (they have 20 mil to spend on 5 roster spots) and considering that Kulikov's deal ends this season, next year's cap situation is irrelevant.

Cody Franson team ranks among defensemen:

CF%: 1st
xG%: 1st
GF%: 3rd

He's ugly, but he's not bad.

No he isn't bad, but he isn't good either and isn't worth what he is being paid.  if the goal is get get faster, then he isn't part of the solution.  Also 6th on the D in Pk time, 7th in blocked shots per game and 7th in hits per game.  He has 26 giveaways to only 12 takeways.  

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#56 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

No he isn't bad, but he isn't good either and isn't worth what he is being paid. if the goal is get get faster, then he isn't part of the solution.

I would argue he's a good 3rd pairing defenseman. He crushes that role.

And the goal shouldn't be to get faster, it should be to get better. Speed may be part of that, but it's not the whole package, and it doesn't have to be upgraded with every single roster decision.

#57 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

JJ, Fla has 17 players signed for 53 mill, that 20 mill for 5 more players, Looks like plenty of room to me, but considering he is a UFA after this year, next year's cap space is irrelevant.

Yes, it is relevant because they weren't going to hold on to a D-man who might not come back next year when trying to figure out their D core moving forward. He was the odd man out for this reason. They needed to make space on this year's roster.

Do yourself a favor and look at the contracts that kick in next year. I'm on my phone so I'm not going to do the dirty work.

I didn't say any team. I said a good team, a contending team. Just because Kulikov played top 4 minutes for a terrible hockey team for 7 years doesn't mean he would or should in Buffalo or anywhere else. Also his production this season would have him at the bottom pairing for nearly every team. If Buffalo is going to be a contender, a mediocre overpaid player is the last thing they need playing in the top 4. We have enough in Moulson, Ennis, Bogo, and Gorges.

Furthermore Fla has no cap issues this season or next (they have 20 mil to spend on 5 roster spots) and considering that Kulikov's deal ends this season, next year's cap situation is irrelevant.

No he isn't bad, but he isn't good either and isn't worth what he is being paid. if the goal is get get faster, then he isn't part of the solution. Also 6th on the D in Pk time, 7th in blocked shots per game and 7th in hits per game. He has 26 giveaways to only 12 takeways.

Yes, you did. In fact it was your exact words. Go back and watch Kuli before this year. It's obvious you're confused as to what a top 4 D-man is.

No Kuilkov wouldn't be playing top 4 minutes for any team in the NHL.

Edited by JJFIVEOH, 08 March 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#58 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Yes, it is relevant because they weren't going to hold on to a D-man who might not come back next year when trying to figure out their D core moving forward. He was the odd man out for this reason. They needed to make space on this year's roster.

JJ, let me get this straight, you think his play this season would garner him top 4 minutes on an NHL team?

FYI The GM said when he dumped him on us the he was because of his analytics, that he wanted to get guys who were good at moving the puck out of the D Zone, wanted to improve the PP and they wanted a RD to replace the trade Gudbranson.  He also said moving Campbell and Gudbranson got him the cap room to sign Yandle.  In addition Yandle was signed prior to the Kulikov trade.  

Here is what Rowe said specifically:

"I know what people are thinking, you lose [Brian Campbell to free agency] and Gudbranson, but you're picking up an elite defenseman in Yandle when it comes to puck movement and power play," Rowe said. "As for Pysyk, we needed a right-shot defenseman when we lost Gudbranson.

"[Panthers coach Gerard Gallant] wants defensemen who can move the puck out of our end; both Pysyk and Yandle do a real good job of that. Pysyk might not put up a ton of points, but he's excellent at reading plays, moving the puck out and making real good crisp passes to get those forwards on the way to the offensive zone. I see Pysyk as a top-four defenseman for the next 12 years."

Rowe said that Pysyk's analytical numbers are superior to Kulikov, and that's clearly the path the Panthers' overhauled scouting department is taking going forward.

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 05:14 PM.

#59 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

I'm not going to search for links that also said he was moved for cap reasons. Yardley was signed this year. Do your own research as far as which contracts kick in next year. There are multiple extensions to the tune of eight figures a year increase over this year.

#60 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

I'm not going to search for links that also said he was moved for cap reasons. Yardley was signed this year. Do your own research as far as which contracts kick in next year. There are multiple extensions to the tune of eight figures a year increase over this year.

I don't know who Yardley is but Yandle's contract kicked in this season.  Next season Ekblad, Huderdeau and Smith's raises kick in, but they are still at only $60 mill next season with 16 players under contract and no expensive players to re-sign other then Jagr if he wants to return.  They are set in goal, have their top 4 D and 10 forwards, including all their key scorers ready to go.  They have no cap issues.  It is funny, but 2 different sites had different info.  I used Capfriendly this time and I think their numbers are more accurate.

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#61 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

So, after all that, we're in agreement that Kulikov is not coming back, and that Franson is a reasonably effective third-pairing D, and we could do worse than re-signing him, as long as he's paid accordingly and complemented by better skaters, right? 😜

Edited by dudacek, 08 March 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#62 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

LMAO!

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#63 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

I liked how franson and guhle played together during his brief call up.   wouldn't be a bad third pairing.

#64 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

So, after all that, we're in agreement that Kulikov is not coming back, and that Franson is a reasonably effective third-pairing D, and we could do worse than re-signing him, as long as he's paid accordingly and complemented by better skaters, right?

Still I wish someone who wants to keep one or both of Franson and Kulikov will tell me how much they should be kept for.  Kulikov makes 4.3 this season and Franson 3.3.  That's over 7.5 mill for third line performance.  IF GMTM sign either for more then 1.5 for 1 year he should be fired on the spot.  I can get guys like Brandon Davidson for 1.5 and Jordie Benn for 1.1. $ for $ I'd rather Davidson and Benn.  To bad Mon scooped them both up at the deadline.  

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#65 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

Just need to get a good LHD to play with Risto, bump McCabe back to Bogo, didn't think they played all that bad together last year.

Gorges as 7th

#66 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

Just need to get a good LHD to play with Risto, bump McCabe back to Bogo, didn't think they played all that bad together last year.

Gorges as 7th

The best we could reasonably hope for is something like:
Brodin* Risto
McCabe Bogosian
Theodore* Franson
Guhle Falk
(*or reasonable facsimile of)

We've got UFAs, expansion, a bevy of young wingers, a likely top 10 pick and (hopefully not) Kane or Reinhart to make it happen.
I'm not overly confident.

Or maybe a better way of saying it is I think we are more likely to see improvement by changing the coach than by making trades/signings.

Edited by dudacek, 08 March 2017 - 06:43 PM.

#67 Huckleberry

Huckleberry

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Anyone who thinks kane or Reinhart are going anywhere :doh:

#68 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

JJ, let me get this straight, you think his play this season would garner him top 4 minutes on an NHL team?

FYI The GM said when he dumped him on us the he was because of his analytics, that he wanted to get guys who were good at moving the puck out of the D Zone, wanted to improve the PP and they wanted a RD to replace the trade Gudbranson. He also said moving Campbell and Gudbranson got him the cap room to sign Yandle. In addition Yandle was signed prior to the Kulikov trade.

Here is what Rowe said specifically:
"I know what people are thinking, you lose [Brian Campbell to free agency] and Gudbranson, but you're picking up an elite defenseman in Yandle when it comes to puck movement and power play," Rowe said. "As for Pysyk, we needed a right-shot defenseman when we lost Gudbranson.

"[Panthers coach Gerard Gallant] wants defensemen who can move the puck out of our end; both Pysyk and Yandle do a real good job of that. Pysyk might not put up a ton of points, but he's excellent at reading plays, moving the puck out and making real good crisp passes to get those forwards on the way to the offensive zone. I see Pysyk as a top-four defenseman for the next 12 years."
Rowe said that Pysyk's analytical numbers are superior to Kulikov, and that's clearly the path the Panthers' overhauled scouting department is taking going forward.

And to answer your question, his play over his career will garner him top 4 minutes, just like they are now. Any coach with some common sense knows he's been hindered by some freak back injury all year. And even with that, he's still getting top 4 minutes.

Just imagine when he gets to form like he has most of his career.

You don't have to take my word for it.

#69 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

The best we could reasonably hope for is something like:
Brodin* Risto
McCabe Bogosian
Theodore* Franson
Guhle Falk
(*or reasonable facsimile of)

We've got UFAs, expansion, a bevy of young wingers, a likely top 10 pick and (hopefully not) Kane or Reinhart to make it happen.
I'm not overly confident.

Or maybe a better way of saying it is I think we are more likely to see improvement by changing the coach than by making trades/signings.

Sir. The right side of your second pair. I do not approve.

*still has fantasies of Vegas snagging Bogo*

#70 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Sir. The right side of your second pair. I do not approve.
*still has fantasies of Vegas snagging Bogo*

Wasn't good enough that I dumped Gorges for you, eh? You academics and your ivory towers... πŸ˜‹

@huck

I was backing Kane last summer, and I have consistently been this board's staunchest Samson supporter.
I don't move either for Brodin or Theodore, but if Kane is going to walk, if Sam is going to be used as a Patrick Sharp, or if either can leverage us another Risto, you've got to put them on the table.

Edited by dudacek, 08 March 2017 - 09:07 PM.

#71 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

And to answer your question, his play over his career will garner him top 4 minutes, just like they are now. Any coach with some common sense knows he's been hindered by some freak back injury all year. And even with that, he's still getting top 4 minutes.
Just imagine when he gets to form like he has most of his career.
You don't have to take my word for it.

Just because you were once a top 4 D, it doesn't mean you will continue to be one. Age, injuries, even bad play will change a players status over their career. DD kept playing him 22 minutes a night most of the season until recently. As his play continued to stink Dd discussed with the media benching and then his minutes dropped to 18 or less for the last 6 games. The only thing that saved him,so to speak, from riding the pine was his injury. By the time he was injured he was no longer a top 4 D on the worst D group in the NHL.

However lets give him the benefit of the doubt and use last year's stats as a proxy for his potential rebound next year.
Last season he played 74gms, 1g, 16a 17pts, 51pim, 122 hits, 121 bks, 54 gvs & 21 min toi.
His point offense production had slipped for basically the 4th straight season. His Corsi and Fenwick had also been in decline for 3 seasons from a corsi high of 51.2 down to 46.8 last year and fenwick from 50.7 down to 47.4 despite his playing on the best Fla team in a decade. Obviously both numbers have declined further this year. Those three stats show me an overpaid player in decline. It's why I didn't like the trade in the first place and hate it now.

So lets assume he has the potential to get back to those kind of numbers next season. What is that worth and what is the likelihood he succeeds in the comeback? It certainly isn't worth another 4.3 million he got paid this seasom. The risk of failure is so high on players with concussion and back injuries that it probably isn't worth 2 million and certainly not on more than a 1 year deal. The only reason someone is going to take the risk is his age. I'm not willing to take the risk given his history.
I'm still waiting for someone to say how much they are willing to pay Franson and Kulikov to return. Just think if you re-sign Franson and Kulikov and don't buy out Gorges we can have this great D group back and intact. Yeah!
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how much they are willing to pay Franson and Kulikov.
Ok True said 2.3 for Franson; do you think Cody takes a significant pay cut to return?

Just think, if we re-sign Kulikov and Franson and don't buy out Gorges, we can 100% of the worst D in the NHL back and intact. Yeah!

Edited by yse325, 08 March 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#72 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

I think Cody is going to have to take a significant pay cut to play anywhere.
He's not a top four, no one is going to pay him to be one, and bottom pairing defencemen only make $3 million by accident.

Seidenberg signed for $1, Quincey $1.2, Schenn for $1.2, Schultz for $1.4, Polak for $2.2, Campbell for $1.5, Liles for $2, Tyutin for $2... looks like that's the going rate for bottom pairing veterans.

Most of those guys took pay cuts.

Edited by dudacek, 08 March 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#73 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

I think Cody is going to have to take a significant pay cut to play anywhere.
He's not a top four, no one is going to pay him to be one, and bottom pairing defencemen only make $3 million by accident.

Ok you had him in your potential lineup. How much are you re-signing for and do think he takes the pay cut to stay?

#74 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

Ok you had him in your potential lineup. How much are you re-signing for and do think he takes the pay cut to stay?

See above, edited my post to add it.

Edited by dudacek, 08 March 2017 - 09:18 PM.

#75 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

I brought up many of those guys in the wish list for next season thread. http://forums.sabres...or-next-season/. Frankly, i'd rather have all of them over cody. Most do at least one thing well.

Ultimately, if we bring back either UFA or Gorges at any price we are simply repeating this year's mistakes.

#76 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

Just because you were once a top 4 D, it doesn't mean you will continue to be one. Age, injuries, even bad play will change a players status over their career. DD kept playing him 22 minutes a night most of the season until recently. As his play continued to stink Dd discussed with the media benching and then his minutes dropped to 18 or less for the last 6 games. The only thing that saved him,so to speak, from riding the pine was his injury. By the time he was injured he was no longer a top 4 D on the worst D group in the NHL.

However lets give him the benefit of the doubt and use last year's stats as a proxy for his potential rebound next year.
Last season he played 74gms, 1g, 16a 17pts, 51pim, 122 hits, 121 bks, 54 gvs & 21 min toi.
His point offense production had slipped for basically the 4th straight season. His Corsi and Fenwick had also been in decline for 3 seasons from a corsi high of 51.2 down to 46.8 last year and fenwick from 50.7 down to 47.4 despite his playing on the best Fla team in a decade. Obviously both numbers have declined further this year. Those three stats show me an overpaid player in decline. It's why I didn't like the trade in the first place and hate it now.

So lets assume he has the potential to get back to those kind of numbers next season. What is that worth and what is the likelihood he succeeds in the comeback? It certainly isn't worth another 4.3 million he got paid this seasom. The risk of failure is so high on players with concussion and back injuries that it probably isn't worth 2 million and certainly not on more than a 1 year deal. The only reason someone is going to take the risk is his age. I'm not willing to take the risk given his history.
I'm still waiting for someone to say how much they are willing to pay Franson and Kulikov to return. Just think if you re-sign Franson and Kulikov and don't buy out Gorges we can have this great D group back and intact. Yeah!
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how much they are willing to pay Franson and Kulikov.
Ok True said 2.3 for Franson; do you think Cody takes a significant pay cut to return?

Just think, if we re-sign Kulikov and Franson and don't buy out Gorges, we can 100% of the worst D in the NHL back and intact. Yeah!

His points per game for the last four seasons before coming here:

That is a tight grouping, very little fluctuation either way. Now, if you know anything about Kulikov, he wasn't brought in to be an offensive D-man. It helps that he can be at times, but that isn't his main role. It never was. 

Sure age can play a part. But.............. he's 26 years old!!! He's not 35. Do you honestly think his production just happened to drop off, and it's just a coincidence that he suffered a fluke, lingering injury that has affected him so badly that he still doesn't practice? Sure lost of things change a player's status, but the fact remains that he was an important part of the Panthers for years, consistently, so if things aren't working out it's probably not him. 

I'm not even going to take into consideration advanced stats because I still think they're bogus. As has been noted, some advanced stats show Franson as being a key player, and Risto as being worthless. You can analyze advanced stats until you're blue in the face but the fact remains there are many factors that have a direct bearing on those numbers that aren't added into the equation. I have been watching Kuli for years, I'm going to assume you haven't. 

I don't know what he'll be worth next year. I'm going to guess he will be cheap, and I'm going to guess he will want a short term contract so he can have a chance to make up for this season. 

I get it, you don't like our D-men. Today's D-men have so much more responsibility than they did even five years ago that even the best aren't going to look good some nights. I've got news for you, any bottom 4 D-men brought in aren't going to look any different. That's just the way the league is. If you're expecting to have four McCabes or four Ristos.......... you're sadly mistaken. The league is getting faster, the league is putting more pressure/responsibility on D-men than ever before. Kuli and Bogo are top 4 D-men on pretty much any team in the league. The few teams where that might not be the case, are the teams that have absolutely no cap space left to have an offense. 

#77 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

I have no love or hatred for Franson. I want a competent veteran for $2 million or less on my bottom pair, along with a promising kid on an entry level or cheap second contract. Don't really care who they are.

The McCabe bargain and the Bogosian anchor balance out to reasonable second pair money on the spread sheet.
That leaves room to invest $4 or $5 million on someone to be our 2/3.

#78 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Wasn't good enough that I dumped Gorges for you, eh? You academics and your ivory towers...

I only have to deal with Gorges for one more year, worst case scenario. Bogo is three! You're damn right it wasn't good enough! :P

#79 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

I have no love or hatred for Franson. I want a competent veteran for $2 million or less on my bottom pair, along with a promising kid on an entry level or cheap second contract. Don't really care who they are.
The McCabe bargain and the Bogosian anchor balance out to reasonable second pair money on the spread sheet.
That leaves room to invest $4 or $5 million on someone to be our 2/3.

I couldn't agree more.

#80 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

I think think the issue with Kuli and Bogosian is that they were top four defencemen on any team in the league before coming to Buffalo.
Other than a brief stint from Bogosian,when he arrived and another last year, neither has played like one here.

If I'm Kulikov's agent, I'm leveraging him to take cheap one year deal in a place where he can reclaim his reputation and parley that to a good contract in the summer of 2018 - sliding into the four spot for Chicago, or Tampa - or maybe Washington or Minny if they lose some guns this summer.