377 replies to this topic

#361 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

I take that with a pretty serious grain of salt. The young players are young; young people that age tend to exhibit some of that sort of behaviour, as a group. And Hamilton's old(er) and getting into that sensible shorts with black socks pulled up to his knees mode. Additionally, Eichel has more than a little bit of as.shole in him; in a good way. 

I don't know that he's rude or unprofessional, but, if I had to be interviewed by him on a regular basis, he would drive me insane. The manner in which he frames questions is just ... bad. The answer he desires is either stated in the question or strongly hinted at.

I think that's fair. When Eichel is 25 or 26, he'll likely look more comfortable doing that.

The middle one is exactly what I'm talking about. PH has an ongoing problem with confusing his opinions and fact. And he is lacking in social grace. It has to be annoying to the players who deal with him on a regular basis.

And I don't discount that there's some youthful, cocky, I-got-better-things-to-do-right-now underlying this. He'll grow out of that, mostly, I think.

But Eichel has some as.shole to him (which I think works in his favour); he can be pretty damn prickly.

I Think he's basically a good kid, but he is one cocky SOB.
I can't wait until we are good enough that fans around the league start to feel the hatred flow though them.

#362 RonHextallsShoulderPads

RonHextallsShoulderPads

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Well, Reino and Eichel each contributed a true star-quality play.

How could anyone want to trade Kane or not re-sign him?

Pretty spotty outing by Nilsson.

I'd say a lot of what happened to Nilsson is not his fault. 

Goal 1 -tipped while being screened 

Attached File  goal1.PNG   861.85KB   0 downloads

Goal 2 -lost it in his pads, but banged home because Eichel was admiring the shooter instead of the charging FWD. 

Attached File  goal2.PNG   763.25KB   0 downloads

Post Hit-Screened

Attached File  Post.PNG   591.79KB   0 downloads

Goal 3 -4 sabres caught low, open point-blank shot. 

Attached File  Goal3.PNG   799.74KB   0 downloads

Goal 4 -Powerplay with yet another screen

Attached File  goal4.PNG   687.87KB   0 downloads

#363 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

The middle one is exactly what I'm talking about. PH has an ongoing problem with confusing his opinions and fact. And he is lacking in social grace. It has to be annoying to the players who deal with him on a regular basis.

Ah - gotcha. Yes. Quite so.

I can't wait until we are good enough that fans around the league start to feel the hatred flow though them.

Abso-frickin-lutely. Agreed on wanting that time to come when fans from other teams are like "man, f#cking EICHEL."

#364 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

On another note, look at the beak on this guy.

Attached File  Hookbeak.jpg   31.47KB   8 downloads

#365 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Brandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Wasn't there a great play to score a game winning goal last season made by the Kane/Eichel pair up?    I remember RJ's call of the goal was rebroadcast/shared quite a bit - it was as good as the goal.

Good to see 'em working together - we need more of that chemistry!

#366 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,690 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

Wasn't there a great play to score a game winning goal last season made by the Kane/Eichel pair up?    I remember RJ's call of the goal was rebroadcast/shared quite a bit - it was as good as the goal.

Good to see 'em working together - we need more of that chemistry!

Kane is not very imaginative, and I think that's okay.  If he can shoot, he does.  If not, he looks for a pass.  If you pass him the puck anywhere around the net, he's gonna shoot.  He has the wheels to get himself into good spots, he can keep up with Jack, he can finish.  Not imaginative, but he is predictable, and I think that's probably an asset when playing with Jack and Sam.  Their creativity more than makes up for Kane's single-mindedness.

Comparing him to Foligno, Kane's faster, has a better shot, not as creative, not as much of a physical force (comparatively speaking, and I'm sure some will take issue with that assessment).  Kane is pretty good defensively, when he realizes he needs to be defensive.  He's decent on the PK, using his speed to disrupt opponents' plays.  A bit slower on the uptake compared to Foligno.  With Kane on the Eichel line, you know what you've got- a fast, high skill winger who is sometimes single minded to a fault.  Not a perfect player, but a very good one.  Foligno is more of a bottom six player but does okay for stretches in the top six. 

Looking at the bigger picture you can see the DD tendency to develop forward pairs rather than lines.  Sam & Jack are good together, but for LW it makes sense to rotate the hot hand in until it gets stale.  I don't have a problem with flipping between Kane and Foligno.  They both bring something to the line and if the line begins to slump that something is energy (albeit two different kids). It keeps the line fresh.

Edited by Doohickie, 08 February 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#367 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,610 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

attachicon.gifHookbeak.jpg

That's awesome.

Who is that guy with that awesome beak?

#368 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

I love how much better this team looks when DDB shortens the bench. If only he could play those players for 40 minutes a game.

Trying to figure out, though, how that relates to the notions that A) he doesn't adapt, and B) it's the system and not the roster.

Breaking news: hockey team is better with best players on the ice. More at 11.

#369 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

That's awesome.

I don't know. He was one of the assistants behind the SJ bench.

#370 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

That's awesome.

isn't that Boughner?

#371 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

"it's interesting how that works ..."

https://twitter.com/...8750592/video/1

I'm fascinated by the various ways in which this statement can be taken.

I've heard from a couple of different people who were at the game that the boo's after the second were LOUD.

I'm guessing that Jack was, in fact, expressing displeasure with hometown boo-birds, and not making some more subtle point.

#372 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

I've heard from a couple of different people who were at the game that the boo's after the second were LOUD.

I'm guessing that Jack was, in fact, expressing displeasure with hometown boo-birds, and not making some more subtle point.

That sounds right.

#373 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

I don't know that Hammy has been overly polite to the players either.

I take that with a pretty serious grain of salt. The young players are young; young people that age tend to exhibit some of that sort of behaviour, as a group. And Hamilton's old(er) and getting into that sensible shorts with black socks pulled up to his knees mode. Additionally, Eichel has more than a little bit of as.shole in him; in a good way. 

I don't know that he's rude or unprofessional, but, if I had to be interviewed by him on a regular basis, he would drive me insane. The manner in which he frames questions is just ... bad. The answer he desires is either stated in the question or strongly hinted at.

I think that's fair. When Eichel is 25 or 26, he'll likely look more comfortable doing that.

PHam is extremely condescending and patronizing. And he tends to scold players when they lose and/or that player had a bad game. It's almost as if he's trying to make them feel even less of themselves than they did when the game finished. And rarely do any of the players put him in his place because he'll immediately throw them under the bus. What's even more aggravating is guys like Koziol who treat him like he's a god. Just once last week I heard Koziol actually disagree with something PHam said, and he hesitated to say it because he didn't want to make PHam mad. I thought to myself, man, Koziol is going to get it for that comment. 

I've lost a lot of respect for PHam over the years to the point where there isn't any left. 

#374 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,715 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

It's also interesting that right when there was a bad pass in our zone (don't remember who it was but it was a 10ft pass that was 6ft off the mark) and the booing was the loudest, that was the very moment that they picked their game up and took the game over.

#375 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,690 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

I remember that pass, early in the third period.  I think the fourth Shark goal came after that, but yeah, the crowd let them have it.  I would "hope" the players were annoyed with the fans, and themselves, at that point.  When boos come like that, I see them as the crowd saying, "You're paid millions of dollars to play, and win, games.  NOW GET GOING."

#376 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

It's also interesting that right when there was a bad pass in our zone (don't remember who it was but it was a 10ft pass that was 6ft off the mark) and the booing was the loudest, that was the very moment that they picked their game up and took the game over.

It is interesting.
It could feed into the theory that they are not being held accountable enough.

#377 Cygnus X 1

Cygnus X 1

El Capitan!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

attachicon.gifHookbeak.jpg

Mike Folignoesque

#378 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

isn't that Boughner?

thats what I thought. Always liked the way he played the game. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GDT, San Jose, Sharks