Photo

Keep or Trade Evander Kane

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

Poll: Keep or Trade

Answer it

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

I vote keep unless a knock-socks-off trade offer is received, which I think is highly unlikely.

There is NFW he is exposed in the expansion draft.

BUT

I have a little, nagging suspicion that all is not happy behind the scenes with the Sabres and Kane. I see no joy from him on the ice, even when he scores.

He congratulates his teammates, and sticks up for them in scrums, and plays hard -- but something seems off.

Maybe they read him the riot act after his legal scrapes last summer and told him they were going to ship him out for the first decent offer. Maybe he thought no one defended him and he felt betrayed. Maybe the rumors from Winnipeg were true and he's a self-absorbed jerk whom no one can stand.

Or maybe I'm imagining the whole thing.

But I won't be surprised if he's traded. (Although I will be disappointed, because I like his game.)

I get this feeling too, and it sucks because the Kane of the last month or so is someone I desperately want to carry our third line for years. 

#42 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

I vote keep unless a knock-socks-off trade offer is received, which I think is highly unlikely.

BUT

I have a little, nagging suspicion that all is not happy behind the scenes with the Sabres and Kane. I see no joy from him on the ice, even when he scores.

He congratulates his teammates, and sticks up for them in scrums, and plays hard -- but something seems off.

Maybe they read him the riot act after his legal scrapes last summer and told him they were going to ship him out for the first decent offer. Maybe he thought no one defended him and he felt betrayed. Maybe the rumors from Winnipeg were true and he's a self-absorbed jerk whom no one can stand.

But I won't be surprised if he's traded. (Although I will be disappointed, because I like his game.)

I'm fairly sure his ticket was punched before and until he did get into trouble, and he knows it.  They'll keep him this season but I'd expect him to be elsewhere next year. 

#43 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:35 AM

BUT

Ehh...I'm actually fairly skeptical of that line of thinking. Have you seen Kane's twitter recently? He's frequently liking and retweeting Sabres stuff. If you go to his "likes" section, it's a bunch of official Sabres posts, posts about games we've won. Personally I doubt whether he'd be doing this if he had bad blood with the organization. But who knows.

Edited by Thorny, 12 January 2017 - 04:39 AM.

#44 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,411 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

BUT

I can see where you'd be inclined to read the tea leaves this way, but I'm willing to offer a different reason for his seeming lack of enthusiasm.

We know Jack isn't happy with the team right now. That much has been made clear. 

We also know that Jack and Kane appear to like/respect each other. 

I suspect Kane is following Jack's lead and tempering his enthusiasm about things like scoring goals in the interest of making a point: that they haven't earned the right to celebrate yet. 

I think Kane is focused. I think his play as of late reflects that. 

#45 jsb

jsb

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

There is no tradevalue, his value cant be more than 1,5 mill by now, so many injuries and 0,5 points per game is just not worth it, atleast thats what i would think if i was a gm.
So i guess i say keep and hope he produces more goals and raises his value so we can trade him for something worth while.

He's scored 30 goals in his 94 games he's played here, I don't know what you're talking about, you don't like his style?? I understand that but to say he has little to no value as a player, I think you're wrong

BUT

Cut your post short for brevity but I think it's more of an ego thing with him feeling he was bounced off the top 6. I think it's worked because he's taken the bait and he's been a big positive for the team and Samson in my opinion. He and Bailey are giving him space to play which is making his transition to Center much easier and successful.

Edited by jsb, 12 January 2017 - 08:38 AM.

#46 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

I can see where you'd be inclined to read the tea leaves this way, but I'm willing to offer a different reason for his seeming lack of enthusiasm.

We know Jack isn't happy with the team right now. That much has been made clear. 

I suspect Kane is following Jack's lead and tempering his enthusiasm about things like scoring goals in the interest of making a point: that they haven't earned the right to celebrate yet. 

I'm more in line with d4rk here.

As I was reading freeman's post, I chuckled at the idea: There might be something wrong with Kane because he's no longer acting like a raging d-bag.

Joking - mostly. But I have noticed it too, mostly over the last several games.

OTOH, 

When a guy pretends to want to fight and only chirps when the 6'6 linesman is standing in the way. #KevanMiller #pretender #stoplying

10:23 AM - 1 Jan 2017

#47 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

Ehh...I'm actually fairly skeptical of that line of thinking. Have you seen Kane's twitter recently? He's frequently liking and retweeting Sabres stuff. If you go to his "likes" section, it's a bunch of official Sabres posts, posts about games we've won. Personally I doubt whether he'd be doing this if he had bad blood with the organization. But who knows.

Good counterpoints here boys.

#48 Sakman

Sakman

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

I was also thinking along the lines of nfreeman in viewing Kane on ice, but now think I will choose to follow this line of reasoning as it's much more optimistic and I can use that!

#49 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,735 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

I can understand your perspective nfreeman.

What we very well might be seeing is the maturation of Kane on and off the ice.  I hope this is the case and that he grows into an integral part of a Sabres cup team.

#50 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,110 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

With the way Kane has been playing lately, I'm shocked "trade" is doing so well. I thought for sure I'd be a man on an island!

#51 Mig22

Mig22

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

With the way Kane has been playing lately, I'm shocked "trade" is doing so well. I thought for sure I'd be a man on an island!

People get dug in to their opinions and the evidence be damned.

#52 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:23 AM

I dont like Kane's off ice stuff, not his hockey IQ sometimes, was against the trade... but the guy has speed and hustles all game. So im on the fence right now.

#53 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

Yeah, well, I never understand why people vote the way they do.  :angel:

#54 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

I hope I'm not out of line responding to this thread but this is what I would do if I were the GM.

Keep Kaner this season unless someone comes a knockin' with a really good LHD in the deal.

This off-season, probably the draft table, I would trade Kaner for a quality D prospect whether he is a LHD or RHD....someone like Sanheim or Skjei.

Then, having cleared 5.25m of AAV, I go after Alzner and give him an offer he can't refuse. You get a 1LHD, at worse a very good 2LHD, and a blue chip prospect ready or VERY close to being ready for the NHL

So, you trade a 3rd liner that is making big bucks that is only under contract for another year for a blue chip prospect and fill your need at D.

Don't want to start any arguments so if this post shouldn't be allowed, will one of the mods please delete it.

#55 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

^

Your opinion is a as valued as anyone's opinion. 

I see no problems with you posting anywhere.

#56 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,497 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

I hope I'm not out of line responding to this thread but this is what I would do if I were the GM.

Keep Kaner this season unless someone comes a knockin' with a really good LHD in the deal.

This off-season, probably the draft table, I would trade Kaner for a quality D prospect whether he is a LHD or RHD....someone like Sanheim or Skjei.
Then, having cleared 5.25m of AAV, I go after Alzner and give him an offer he can't refuse. You get a 1LHD, at worse a very good 2LHD, and a blue chip prospect ready or VERY close to being ready for the NHL

So, you trade a 3rd liner that is making big bucks that is only under contract for another year for a blue chip prospect and fill your need at D.

Don't want to start any arguments so if this post shouldn't be allowed, will one of the mods please delete it.

If the Sabres do pull that off, my evaluation of the trade goes from a wash (both teams benefitting) to Sabres win. :P

#57 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Awesome post well thought out and very interesting food for thought.

#58 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

Alzner is a D man I want the Jets to go after. I don't think the Caps will not be able to afford him and probably lose one or two others.

Edited by Ducky, 14 January 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#59 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

Alzner is a D man I want the Jets to go after. I don't think the Caps will not be able to afford him and probably lose one or two others.

I like Alzner, but i think the issue with signing guys like him is durability. Yes, right now when he plays he is a great asset, but due to his style of play, he'll become a Josh Gorges sooner then later and guys on the open market not only get overpaid but also get a lot of term.

#60 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

Why are you surprised? What has Kane's recent good play done but hopefully increase his trade value? We all understand we need to give to get and despite our mediocre offense, our D is the bigger concern as it can be argued we only have 2 NHL D on the roster at this time. We also have 8 forwards GMTM probably wants to protect on his roster from expansion (ROR, Okposo, Ennis, Kane, Girgensons, Larsson, Foligno and Carrier). Trading Kane now (or by the deadline) means you don't lose one of those players for nothing. In addition forward is our position of depth in the organization with Carrier, Fasching, Bailey, Nylander and Baptiste all likely pushing for more NHL time sooner then later. Also Kane is on pace for 20 goals and 30 pts. Not exactly $5 mill plus value.

Ana continues to be desperate for scoring help as Getzlaf and Perry aren't exactly producing at their acustomed high level. I want Montour or Theodore back in the deal. The cap part of this is hard. We might have to eat much of Kane's deal this year and next and/or take a Stoner or Bieksa back as well to make it work. Stoner is out until February but isn't on LTIR.

My deal Stoner and Montour for Kane, Fedun(or Falk), a forward prospect and we eat the difference between Stoner's and Kane's deal for this season and next. This deal adds scoring to ANA without any cap ramifications, doesn't hurt their D as neither Stoner or Montour are currently playing for the Ducks, while giving us 2 D for the rest of this season and with Montour a top 4 D in the future. It would also allow us to protect 7 forwards including Carrier, open a slot for Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander or Fasching in the NHL, and if we don't lose Stoner to expansion, maybe another decent physical D for 2017-2018. If we do lose him we pick up 3.25 in cap space.

Edited by yse325, 17 January 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#61 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

I like how Evander Kane plays hockey. I hate that he gets injured and I hate when he misses the net, but I love the shooter. This should probably go in the unpopular hockey opinions thread, but I love shooters. Can't score if you don't shoot. Put the puck on net every single chance you get!   I voted to keep him. Kane is alright by me. 

#62 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

My deal Stoner and Montour for Kane, Fedun(or Falk), a forward prospect and we eat the difference between Stoner's and Kane's deal for this season and next. This deal adds scoring to ANA without any cap ramifications, doesn't hurt their D as neither Stoner or Montour are currently playing for the Ducks, while giving us 2 D for the rest of this season and with Montour a top 4 D in the future. It would also allow us to protect 7 forwards including Carrier, open a slot for Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander or Fasching in the NHL, and if we don't lose Stoner to expansion, maybe another decent physical D for 2017-2018. If we do lose him we pick up 3.25 in cap space.

I agree with you that Ducks may be a likely destination, but i think Sabres would need more then that. Montour could have a great future but i think Murray would need more of a sample size with the dmen coming back. Kane is a elite scorer.

I'm a big fan of Kane the hockey player, but yeah i think we should look to trade him but only for the right deal. We need to get a dmen that is at or near the level that Risto is at.

#63 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:48 AM

I like Alzner, but i think the issue with signing guys like him is durability. Yes, right now when he plays he is a great asset, but due to his style of play, he'll become a Josh Gorges sooner then later and guys on the open market not only get overpaid but also get a lot of term.

I'm not sure if he has missed a game since he came into the league, has he?

#64 yse325

yse325

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

For those who want to keep Kane, I want you to ask yourself question; Will he re-sign here after next season if we keep him? This is really a two part (or even 4 part) question.  One, will we want him and at what price and two, will he want to stay and at what price?

The pay thing is a huge issue.  Kane currently makes $5.25 per season.  In today's NHL he needs to score at least 50 pts or score 30 goals to justify this salary, but no doubt he'll want a raise.  

In his first season here he scored 20 goals and added 15 assists in 65 games.  This season he has 12g 5a for 17 pts in 33 games.  Is this a $5 mill player?  I don't think so.  

I don't think he'll want to stay.  He is a left coast guy and I think he'll want to play in a bigger market.  He might even sign with LV for the money and nightlife.  

I also don't think we can afford to keep him long-term.  Sam and Jack will need to be re-signed that same off-season and we'll still have Moulson and Ennis on the books.  

Based on the fact he is overpaid, we can't afford to keep him and that it is doubtful he'll want to stay, what benefit is there to keeping him if we can trade him soon (or this summer) for a top 4 D which we desperately need?

Edited by yse325, 20 January 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#65 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

For those who want to keep Kane, I want you to ask yourself question; Will he re-sign here after next season if we keep him? This is really a two part (or even 4 part) question.  One, will we want him and at what price and two, will he want to stay and at what price?

The pay thing is a huge issue.  Kane currently makes $5.25 per season.  In today's NHL he needs to score at least 50 pts or score 30 goals to justify this salary, but no doubt he'll want a raise.  

In his first season here he scored 20 goals and added 15 assists in 65 games.  This season he has 12g 5a for 17 pts in 33 games.  Is this a $5 mill player?  I don't think so.  

I don't think he'll want to stay.  He is a left coast guy and I think he'll want to play in a bigger market.  He might even sign with LV for the money and nightlife.  

I also don't think we can afford to keep him long-term.  Sam and Jack will need to be re-signed that same off-season and we'll still have Moulson and Ennis on the books.  

Based on the fact he is overpaid, we can't afford to keep him and that it is doubtful he'll want to stay, what benefit is there to keeping him if we can trade him soon (or this summer) for a top 4 D which we desperately need?

He's been one of our better forwards the last 20 games and I believe his value is up. If we get a stupid good offer at the deadline I think you have to consider it. If it improves the club you do it.

#66 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,774 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

There is no way Kane resigns here after next year. He's going to want better minutes on a top line and a better city for a younger guy

#67 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:09 AM

There is no way Kane resigns here after next year. He's going to want better minutes on a top line and a better city for a younger guy

You never know, he seems to get along pretty well with his teammates. I could see something like that mattering to him. I'm sure that won't be the biggest factor, but I could see it being one nonetheless.

#68 GrassValleyGreg

GrassValleyGreg

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:53 AM

An opinion with such authority.

#69 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

You never know, he seems to get along pretty well with his teammates. I could see something like that mattering to him. I'm sure that won't be the biggest factor, but I could see it being one nonetheless.

Well, FWIW, Paul Hamilton said on WGR this week that Kane "isn't the most well-liked guy in the room."

It will be interesting to see if they try to sign him to an extension after this season.  If he enters next season as an upcoming UFA then I think we have to assume he will get traded at the deadline next year.

#70 jsb

jsb

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Well, FWIW, Paul Hamilton said on WGR this week that Kane "isn't the most well-liked guy in the room."

It will be interesting to see if they try to sign him to an extension after this season.  If he enters next season as an upcoming UFA then I think we have to assume he will get traded at the deadline next year.

Is it necessary to be popular

Was Cookie Gilchrist well liked??

Was Reggie Jackson well liked??

Is Belichick well liked??

Is Aaron Rogers well liked??

I could go on and on but you get the point, is it even an issue or worth bringing up if not for his time with the Jets???

#71 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,957 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

Did you hear it first hand?

#72 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,110 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

I heard it, and that's exactly what he said. Of course, it's Hamilton, so depending on how you feel about him...

Anyway, Eichel also possibly tossed a little shade the other day, saying one of the things that he likes about playing with Reinhart is if he passes the puck he knows he'll get it back. Of course, he could just as easily have been referencing Foligno consistently passing it into his skates :lol:

#73 TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1

Lord and Master of Zero F***s Given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Unless the trade makes sense, he should stay a Sabre.  

#74 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Is it necessary to be popular

Was Cookie Gilchrist well liked??

Was Reggie Jackson well liked??

Is Belichick well liked??

Is Aaron Rogers well liked??

I could go on and on but you get the point, is it even an issue or worth bringing up if not for his time with the Jets???

Well, I generally agree that it isn't necessary to be well liked, but I was responding to the assertion that he is likely to re-sign because he gets along well with his teammates.  If Hamilton is correct, and he isn't particularly well liked, then that's a factor to consider in how likely it is that he re-signs with the Sabres.

You mean from one of the Sabres, or did I hear Hamilton say it on WGR?  (The answer is the latter.)

#75 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

Unless the trade makes sense, he should stay a Sabre.  

Since when do our trades need to make sense?

#76 nfreeman

nfreeman

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

I will add that at this point Kaner is by far the best player in the Sabres-Jets trade (probably a bit unfair though due to Myers' injury).

#77 jsb

jsb

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Well, I generally agree that it isn't necessary to be well liked, but I was responding to the assertion that he is likely to re-sign because he gets along well with his teammates.  If Hamilton is correct, and he isn't particularly well liked, then that's a factor to consider in how likely it is that he re-signs with the Sabres.

Just to be clear, my comments were referencing Hamilton's remark and not your repeating them. One of the best things about this place is the info you get that may escape you because you don't live in town anymore.

#78 Scottysabres

Scottysabres

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

I think a few Western Conference Teams will be calling about him, Foligno and Zemgus.
If it's Anaheim Shea Theodore?
The Kings Jake Muzzin?
I say trade him for the right package i.e. a Young D Man who would be in our top four, who is currently down the depth chart or in the AHL because of roster depth. Figuring that keeping Kane beyond next season would be cost prohibitive because of cap issues

This says it best. And Theodore is who I would target as well. Muzzin, not so much.

The problem is 2 fold really.
Keeping Kane is nit a reality as he'll want equal to or a few more dollars. While he brings a hard charging 20 goal scoring game to the team, he is also 1 dimensional in that regard ad he fails to use linemates much more often than not and when he does shoot many of those shots are way out on the angle.

Trade him for a Theodore type d man who doesn't need to be protected and fills a desperate need.

But bare in mind, take a look at the cap jail many teams that would like him are in. It will be tough for most. There is however, 1 team I see that has the need and cap space, Carolina. They are flush with young D ad well.

#79 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,610 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Is there going to be salary cap room to re-sign him?

Jack, Samson and Kane will all need new deals after next season, I can't see where they can afford all three

#80 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

I will add that at this point Kaner is by far the best player in the Sabres-Jets trade (probably a bit unfair though due to Myers' injury).

Not unfair, Kane has missed time too. You're definitely correct.