1281 replies to this topic

#841 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

Girlfriend wants me to her parents, we've only been seeing each other for a month. This seems...fast

I feel like the meeting of the parents was only really significant when you were in high school/younger. Back then we were all little sh!ts and meeting the parents was intimidating as not many adults tend to like teenage boys, especially ones trying to get with their daughter. Otherwise you could still "date" a girl by just hanging out at the mall or going somewhere, but once you met the parents you were more official. 

#842 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Eh, I've met girls parents sooner. Not a huge deal. She mentions the word wedding, though...then you may have a bit of a massive problem.

I never understood the big deal about meeting a girl's parents, or vice versa. 

Of course, I don't think I ever dated a girl who's parents didn't like me. 

In fact, I always had the other problem, which is that their parents often liked me more than the girl did.  :blush:

I feel like the meeting of the parents was only really significant when you were in high school/younger. Back then we were all little sh!ts and meeting the parents was intimidating as not many adults tend to like teenage boys, especially ones trying to get with their daughter. Otherwise you could still "date" a girl by just hanging out at the mall or going somewhere, but once you met the parents you were more official. 

Good call, think you guys are right. Doesn't help that it's the morning after a bachelor party and they're hard-core old school Catholics, so it should be fun :lol:

#843 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

Good call, think you guys are right. Doesn't help that it's the morning after a bachelor party and they're hard-core old school Catholics, so it should be fun :lol:

Welp, if they're old school Catholics and their daughter likes you, it means she already doesn't care what they think, so whatever impression you make is irrelevant. 

Ask them how long to microwave a baby. 

#844 Hank

Hank

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

Girlfriend wants me to her parents, we've only been seeing each other for a month. This seems...fast

Run. Don't look back. 

#845 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Welp, if they're old school Catholics and their daughter likes you, it means she already doesn't care what they think, so whatever impression you make is irrelevant. 

Ask them how long to microwave a baby. 

Think they're Irish, so they might know the answer to that one

#846 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Depends on the scenario. Is it a huge deal/dinner/stuffy set up? Could be a red flag. 

Buuuut most the time, roll with it, if it's casual it's no big deal. 

D4rk surprised me about a month in. I'd just graduated from RIT that morning and was going to a party in Buffalo with him/meeting all his friends for the first time. Which was already overwhelming. I wasn't exactly dressed conservatively, and we're in the car, "oh by the way, gotta swing by my parent's house, they want to meet you". 

WHAT. DUDE. MY BRA IS HANGING OUT, MY SHORTS ARE TOO SHORT, I AM NOT IN 'MEET THE PARENTS' MODE RIGHT NOW.

Course, they couldn't have cared less, they were super nice and it was very chill, and we all got on like a house on fire. 

I think d4rk met mine before that, as they were up for all my graduation stuff. I think my art shows they all met. Again, super casual. 

So yeah. You know her, we don't, you know the vibe. But most the time, it's no big deal. Most likely just means she really likes you and trusts her parents' opinions, and wants to see if they do too. 

#847 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

Of course, I don't think I ever dated a girl who's parents didn't like me.

In fact, I always had the other problem, which is that their parents often liked me more than the girl did. :blush:

...aaand again, I'm on the opposite side of the coin. I've never met a girls parents who liked me. Zero! Including my wife's mother.

But, then again, I'm not dating the parents. So, to that I say, doooont care!

#848 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Eh, I've met girls parents sooner. Not a huge deal. She mentions the word wedding, though...then you may have a bit of a massive problem.

No, it's the word "pregnant" that you really have to worry about

#849 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

Tomato, potato...

You can run away screaming from one, so I guess you're right.

#850 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

...aaand again, I'm on the opposite side of the coin. I've never met a girls parents who liked me. Zero! Including my wife's mother.

I had one bf whose mom hated me. Dad loved me. I couldn't figure out why. I had a reputation as a good girl, top of my class, all the things these people liked/went on about. I decided it was because I was slightly older than her son. She'd call me a wh0re to my face. 

Nope. Wasn't the right religion. They were part of some crazy cult. Eventually they got into some kind of federal trouble, and they moved to the west coast.  

Didn't work out for a lot of reasons, one of the biggest being his sister and I sharing the same name... and his weird relationship with her... yeesshh. 

Had another ex's parents hug me, the mom nearly sobbing (first time I'd ever met them as they were from Utah, post breakup) about how she wished her son wouldn't make this mistake. That was hard.

I think I get along with d4rk's parents better than my own! 

Edited by Josie914, 09 June 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#851 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

Depends on the scenario. Is it a huge deal/dinner/stuffy set up? Could be a red flag. 

Buuuut most the time, roll with it, if it's casual it's no big deal. 

D4rk surprised me about a month in. I'd just graduated from RIT that morning and was going to a party in Buffalo with him/meeting all his friends for the first time. Which was already overwhelming. I wasn't exactly dressed conservatively, and we're in the car, "oh by the way, gotta swing by my parent's house, they want to meet you". 

WHAT. DUDE. MY BRA IS HANGING OUT, MY SHORTS ARE TOO SHORT, I AM NOT IN 'MEET THE PARENTS' MODE RIGHT NOW.

Course, they couldn't have cared less, they were super nice and it was very chill, and we all got on like a house on fire. 

I think d4rk met mine before that, as they were up for all my graduation stuff. I think my art shows they all met. Again, super casual. 

So yeah. You know her, we don't, you know the vibe. But most the time, it's no big deal. Most likely just means she really likes you and trusts her parents' opinions, and wants to see if they do too. 

Pretty much the same context, so it's probably not a big deal. I have to pick her up on our way to a grad party, and her mom wants me to come inside for a bit and meet her. So really nothing at all

:lol:

Why do they all hate you?

Legitimately terrifies me. Nowhere near ready to be a dad

#852 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Pretty much the same context, so it's probably not a big deal. I have to pick her up on our way to a grad party, and her mom wants me to come inside for a bit and meet her. So really nothing at all

That doesn't sound like a big deal. 

#853 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

That doesn't sound like a big deal. 

Nope, not at all. When she first brought it up it seemed like something else

#854 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

Why do they all hate you?

All different reasons, every time. Wasn't rich enough. Was too old (2 years older). Was too young(10 years younger. Yeah, that mom was right!). Legitimate beef with how one of them raised/treated their daughter, and I probably held onto the personal vendetta for too long. Had another ones dad haaaate! me! I was nowhere near as good as her last boyfriend because he was a hillbilly with something in common with her father and I was a pretty city boy. That girls mom actually liked me.

I go into meeting parents with low expectations lol.

Edited by ubkev, 09 June 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#855 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

I just got a call on my office phone from a recruiter looking for people in my line of work.  I get emails all the time and the occasional phone call, but never on my office phone.  I'm lucky if I make even one call a month from that number and I never give it out.  I'd love to know how these people got a hold of it and know exactly who I am.  They are local, so I guess it's possible that someone might have access to our contact directory.

#856 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

I went to this site and clicked it a couple of times. so now, whenever I go to a another site with google ads (or whatever ad server it is), my laptop keeps trying to sell me a 60lb wheel of cheese for $1100 or a book on crafting with cat hair.

http://weirdorconfusing.com/

Edited by SwampD, 17 June 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#857 BagBoy

BagBoy

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

I went to this site and clicked it a couple of times. so now, whenever I go to a another site with google ads (or whatever ad server it is), my laptop keeps trying to sell me a 60lb wheel of cheese for $1100 or a book on crafting with cat hair.

http://weirdorconfusing.com/

Well thanks so much for sharing this adware herpes you have stumbled upon! 

Now find me a link with a 60lb hairy cat doing crafts with large wheels of cheese and I’ll be happy!

Please forgive any perceived snark.  Your post absolutely cracked me up!

#858 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

All of a sudden I'm someone who has trouble with getting blood drawn.  I've never had any issues until thursday.  They could find any good veins, then I got really warm and they told me I looked like I was about to pass out.  After the long delay, I decided to just come back another day because at that point it was in my head.  Today was the second attempt.  They had trouble finding a vein again.  That warm feeling came back, but not as badly and eventually they did get the blood.  I don't get it.  Just about the only thing that bugs me from the whole process is sitting and waiting, but it was never an issue until just now.

#859 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

All of a sudden I'm someone who has trouble with getting blood drawn.  I've never had any issues until thursday.  They could find any good veins, then I got really warm and they told me I looked like I was about to pass out.  After the long delay, I decided to just come back another day because at that point it was in my head.  Today was the second attempt.  They had trouble finding a vein again.  That warm feeling came back, but not as badly and eventually they did get the blood.  I don't get it.  Just about the only thing that bugs me from the whole process is sitting and waiting, but it was never an issue until just now.

Well, that's what happens when you leave SabreSpace for several months.  Your juices run dry.

#860 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Well, that's what happens when you leave SabreSpace for several months.  Your juices run dry.

I think you figured it out, but it's the exact opposite.  I return to Sabrespace, my stress level rises, and I'm a complete wreck.  I'll have to ask them how to diagnose that.

#861 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

I'm about to walk out the door to get blood work for the first time ever, coincidentally. Ahhhhhhh!

#862 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

I'm about to walk out the door to get blood work for the first time ever, coincidentally. Ahhhhhhh!

Sorry about that. :doh:

First time ever?

#863 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

First time ever?

I had it done for the first time ever about 2 months ago. It took less than 3 minutes. Vein, needle, 6 tubes, bandage, out the door.

And it was pointless anyway. Turns out not seeing a doctor in 15 years really isn't a big deal if you are healthy. (just jinxed the hell out of that, didn't I?)

#864 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

I had it done for the first time ever about 2 months ago. It took less than 3 minutes. Vein, needle, 6 tubes, bandage, out the door.

And it was pointless anyway. Turns out not seeing a doctor in 15 years really isn't a big deal if you are healthy. (just jinxed the hell out of that, didn't I?)

I'm at the "better safe than sorry" stage in my life.  I've seen too much crap go down in the last couple years to not keep on top of everything.  I'm working at a hospital anyway, so it's not like it's an inconvenience to head in for the checkup.  I could see staying away if that wasn't the case though.  This odd blood draw experience may mess with that a bit though.  I'm sure it'll be in my head next time.  It definitely was this morning.

#865 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

First time ever?

Haha it's all good. It's just funny that that was the last thing I read before going out the door. 

Somehow, yes, that was the first time I've ever been told to get it done. The lady that did it was also surprised. 

It wasn't bad at all, though I must have been clenching my arm subconsciously because it hurts more than I was expecting it to. But now I can eat food again! 

#866 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

All of a sudden I'm someone who has trouble with getting blood drawn. I've never had any issues until thursday. They could find any good veins, then I got really warm and they told me I looked like I was about to pass out. After the long delay, I decided to just come back another day because at that point it was in my head. Today was the second attempt. They had trouble finding a vein again. That warm feeling came back, but not as badly and eventually they did get the blood. I don't get it. Just about the only thing that bugs me from the whole process is sitting and waiting, but it was never an issue until just now.

How is your hydration? My wife has trouble with this too. If she hydrates well the day before it is much easier for her.

#867 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

Haha it's all good. It's just funny that that was the last thing I read before going out the door. 

The first time I ever flew by myself, I went to a movie the night before that had a huge plane crash scene.  I'm not one to be bothered by that stuff, but I found it pretty funny.

How is your hydration? My wife has trouble with this too. If she hydrates well the day before it is much easier for her.

That was definitely an issue Thursday.  The day was a bit of a parade of errors leading up to the appointment.  I'm guessing the lesser issues today were all because that day was in the back of my mind.  Sitting around and waiting while the woman tapped away at both arms trying to find a vein game it time to stew in my mind a bit.  Well, that and when she poked one arm but didn't get anything.  "Not this again" definitely popped into mind as she switched over to the other arm.

#868 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'm taller than my father for the first time in my life.

#869 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,146 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

Is it time for a Tom Webster prediction thread?

#870 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Not sure if this belongs in the random or awesome thread, but the newest 26shirts.com design is honoring our dearest Taro. 

#871 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Anyone ever accidentally think about the origin of the universe and then lose like two or three days wondering how/why anything even exists? 

The enormity/incomprehensibility of that question always leaves me in awe. 

oZD8D.gif

#872 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

That's a little deep for me. My day was spent contemplating how I'd have to maneuver things around to fit my car back in my garage.

Victory!

#873 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

Working night shifts (inside a windowless office) at or near the summer solstice is mind-bending. I won't not see the sun for five days...

#874 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 28,727 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Not sure if this belongs in the random or awesome thread, but the newest 26shirts.com design is honoring our dearest Taro. 

Need a link to buy.  Thanks.

#875 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

Anyone ever accidentally think about the origin of the universe and then lose like two or three days wondering how/why anything even exists?

The enormity/incomprehensibility of that question always leaves me in awe.

oZD8D.gif

I spent an entire acid trip when I was a young fella considering how there could nothing and then a singularity exploded into everything almost instantaneously. Once you start down the rabbit hole in that state of mind you come to a point where you're sure you'll never get back out. I eventually did escape to the surface. Maybe. I did learn some secrets down there though.

#876 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

I should also add that I love that gif only because in my psychedelic days(pre alopecia) that's EXACTLY what I looked like.

#877 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

:D

#878 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

@d4rk: DUDE. I sometimes get going on a riff of that, and it usually ends with this absolutely delicious stomach fluttering existential terror -- a feeling like I'm about to jump off a cliff.

#879 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

@d4rk: DUDE. I sometimes get going on a riff of that, and it usually ends with this absolutely delicious stomach fluttering existential terror -- a feeling like I'm about to jump off a cliff.

That's exactly it. Like... If everything came from a single point, what was before that? What surrounded it? How the heck does that even work? We all exist in time and space, but the time and space we exist in didn't exist at one time.

It's like starting a fire but we don't know how the wood even got in the pit, or what the pit is.

How did we get to the start?

#880 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

If you'd like to dial the existential terror to 11 while pondering existence and the universe google "Vaccuum Decay" and off you go.

And remmeber, it may have already happened, we just don't know it yet.

Edited by Sabres79, 20 June 2017 - 06:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic