#41 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

I must have closed before hitting "Post"

I did physics because I wanted to study Astrophysics/Astronomy, but I really enjoyed all of my undergrad courses. So I'm not limiting myself while applying to grad schools. I'm placing preference on those, but saying that I'm more than willing to study high energy physics, plasma physics, particle physics, statistical stuff, relativistic stuff, whatever. I'd be happy doing anything.

And, it's never too late to learn! I could try and help point you in the right direction if you ever wanted to start. It's a lot of work but sooooooo fulfilling. It's almost a spiritual experience in itself.

Thanks but I'm 35 and have 5 years into an organization that still offers a pension and a 401k. I'd never want to go back to undergrad. If I ever do go back to school I'd get my Ph D in finance or economics so I could be a college professor but even that seems like a long shot at this point. School is so much more expensive now than even 10 years ago when I got my masters.

Edited by Drunkard, 21 December 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#42 EichSnipe

EichSnipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Interesting thread! For those with diminishing or no spiritual beliefs, how do you treat Christian holidays? Is Christmas strictly a family holiday where it's all about the meal and gifts? (Let's be honest, that's what it is for a majority of the US regardless of spirituality). How about other big ones like Easter?

#43 MattiPaj

MattiPaj

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:28 AM

Interesting thread! For those with diminishing or no spiritual beliefs, how do you treat Christian holidays? Is Christmas strictly a family holiday where it's all about the meal and gifts? (Let's be honest, that's what it is for a majority of the US regardless of spirituality). How about other big ones like Easter?

Pretty much what you said. I'll even attend Church on holidays if my Mom pushes it (Xmas Eve, generally). I don't think my mom regularly goes to church on Easter these days, so she and I may actually go at the same frequency. :) My Dad "went to church every day a Bishop Timon, I don't need to go any more". My wife and I are libertarian atheist open to proof, a term I just made up. I don't really care if you believe in something, just don't push it on me. Also, there's no proof of god(s), but that's not the same as saying there isn't one out there. It's possible (but completely unproven) there are heavenly (or advanced aliens) that put a thumb on the scales once in awhile.

On a related note, MrsPie and I are treating Santa as a fun, fictional character as far as RosePie is concerned. We'll get to Krampus once she's old enough to not be terrified. Although that kid might take a liking to him; her favorite characters are the villains; "Swiper is so funny, he's probably just trying to put stuff away" (Dora) and "I like the Bominable Snow Monster" (Rudolph).

I knew someone who lives in Texas would understand that joke, ha ha! Quick unrelated question. How many people do you know that go by the name Hoss (excluding the poster here). I'll guess 2.

None, but I do know a Roscoe. Does that count?

#44 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Thanks but I'm 35 and have 5 years into an organization that still offers a pension and a 401k. I'd never want to go back to undergrad. If I ever do go back to school I'd get my Ph D in finance or economics so I could be a college professor but even that seems like a long shot at this point. School is so much more expensive now than even 10 years ago when I got my masters.

You don't need to go to school to learn physics!

As far as my family is concerned (now) I'm still a practicing Christian, so I just go along with it. We don't do much besides attend mass and say a prayer before the meal and everything. Pretend to care about the "war on Christianity and Christmas". It's not unpleasant or anything and even if it was the peace is worth it

#45 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

I like the idea of a faith thread.

Religion, IMO, leads directly to extremism, which is extremely dangerous.

I, indeed, was raised Roman Catholic.  My family was 'religious' in the sense that we went to Mass very regularly and I took part in all the Roman Catholic rights ... Baptism, Confession, Confirmation and, since my parents did not want to pay for private Catholic schooling, Catechism classes up until grade 8.

As I grew older it became apparent that going to Mass was something that my family did before going to brunch.  We were 'religious', but did nothing that followed the teachings of Jesus (PBUH) ... taking care of the poor, feeding the hungry and loving your fellow-man.

With what is to follow I mean no disrespect to my Christian Brothers and Sisters.

I began to question many of the basic teachings of the Christian church, especially the Trinity concept and none of the answers I received (primarily ... 'that is where faith comes in') were satisfactory.  I began to drift away from my Catholic roots and from Christianity as it is widely practiced now.  I did a lot of research and found that the whole Trinity was decided on quite long after the time of Jesus (PBUH) and that there were groups of Christians, known as Believers, who follow Christianity as it was originally practiced ... living a Christ like life.

I was strongly faithful in my belief in God and I believe that I had a very good relationship with Him, even without being part of any Religion.

Over time I became familiar with other faiths and slowly came to the realization that Islam (true Islam that was practiced by Abraham, Jesus, Moses, Muhammad ... PBUTA) was very closely aligned with my beliefs.  A defining moment on my journey was the war in Bosnia.  I had not realized that there were many Muslims there and now they were being killed.

In September 2010 (at the end of Ramadan) I said my shahada (the Islamic profession of faith ... I bear witness that there is no god, but God and I bear witness that Muhammad is a messenger of God).  I said it a few times ... the most important first one was between myself and God, as it should be.  Then I did it twice more ... once on the phone with a good friend and foster son ... a Bosnian Imam ... and again at a local Mosque here in Halifax.  There is no official ceremony and the first one between myself and God is viewed as the most important and the others were optional.

My journey is not complete by any means.  In many ways it is still just beginning.

I have witnessed many things that have turned my off of Islam as it is widely practiced these days, but I remain a 'muslim' and am trying my best to follow real 'islam'.  

Salam / Peace.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 21 December 2016 - 11:13 AM.

#46 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

I, indeed, was raised Roman Catholic. My family was 'religious' in the sense that we went to Mass very regularly and I took part in all the Roman Catholic rights ... Baptism, Confession, Confirmation and, since my parents did not want to pay for private Catholic schooling, Catechism classes up until grade 8.

As I grew older it became apparent that going to Mass was something that my family did before going to brunch. We were 'religious', but did nothing that followed the teachings of Jesus (PBUH) ... taking care of the poor, feeding the hungry and loving your fellow-man.

With what is to follow I mean no disrespect to my Christian Brothers and Sisters.

I began to question many of the basic teachings of the Christian church, especially the Trinity concept and none of the answers I received (primarily ... 'that is where faith comes in') were satisfactory. I began to drift away from my Catholic roots and from Christianity as it is widely practiced now. I did a lot of research and found that the whole Trinity was decided on quite long after the time of Jesus (PBUH) and that there were groups of Christians, known as Believers, who follow Christianity as it was originally practiced ... living a Christ like life.

I was strongly faithful in my belief in God and I believe that I had a very good relationship with Him, even without being part of any Religion.

Over time I became familiar with other faiths and slowly came to the realization that Islam (true Islam that was practiced by Abraham, Jesus, Moses, Muhammad ... PBUTA) was very closely aligned with my beliefs. A defining moment on my journey was the war in Bosnia. I had not realized that there were many Muslims there and now they were being killed.

In September 2010 (at the end of Ramadan) I said my shahada (the Islamic profession of faith ... I bear witness that there is no god, but God and I bear witness that Muhammad is a messenger of God). I said it a few times ... the most important first one was between myself and God, as it should be. Then I did it twice more ... once on the phone with a good friend and foster son ... a Bosnian Imam ... and again at a local Mosque here in Halifax. There is no official ceremony and the first one between myself and God is viewed as the most important and the others were optional.

My journey is not complete by any means. In many ways it is still just beginning.

I have witnessed many things that have turned my off of Islam as it is widely practiced these days, but I remain a 'muslim' and am trying my best to follow real 'islam'.

Salam / Peace.

Thank you for your answer, NS. I appreciate the time it took you to respond. I take it you made the decision to convert all on your own from what I read (no arm twisitng from loved ones). Was the decision to convert something that happened abruptly or was it a slow decision that happened over time? Is your wife religious at all? Is she muslim? At what age did you convert?

Edited by Drunkard, 21 December 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#47 Rör av pojkar

Rör av pojkar

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

I, indeed, was raised Roman Catholic.  My family was 'religious' in the sense that we went to Mass very regularly and I took part in all the Roman Catholic rights ... Baptism, Confession, Confirmation and, since my parents did not want to pay for private Catholic schooling, Catechism classes up until grade 8.

As I grew older it became apparent that going to Mass was something that my family did before going to brunch.  We were 'religious', but did nothing that followed the teachings of Jesus (PBUH) ... taking care of the poor, feeding the hungry and loving your fellow-man.

I began to question many of the basic teachings of the Christian church, especially the Trinity concept and none of the answers I received (primarily ... 'that is where faith comes in') were satisfactory.  I began to drift away from my Catholic roots and from Christianity as it is widely practiced now.  I did a lot of research and found that the whole Trinity was decided on quite long after the time of Jesus (PBUH) and that there were groups of Christians, known as Believers, who follow Christianity as it was originally practiced ... living a Christ like life.

Over time I became familiar with other faiths and slowly came to the realization that Islam (true Islam that was practiced by Abraham, Jesus, Moses, Muhammad ... PBUTA) was very closely aligned with my beliefs.  A defining moment on my journey was the war in Bosnia.  I had not realized that there were many Muslims there and now they were being killed.

In September 2010 (at the end of Ramadan) I said my shahada (the Islamic profession of faith ... I bear witness that there is no god, but God and I bear witness that Muhammad is a messenger of God).  I said it a few times ... the most important first one was between myself and God, as it should be.  Then I did it twice more ... once on the phone with a good friend and foster son ... a Bosnian Imam ... and again at a local Mosque here in Halifax.  There is no official ceremony and the first one between myself and God is viewed as the most important and the others were optional.

My journey is not complete by any means.  In many ways it is still just beginning.

Salam / Peace.

Thank you for sharing that. 

I often think of you when radical islam is slandered in the media and from under-educated Americans. Being able to put a voice and an (internet) face to the religion instead of an us vs. them scenario has improved my world view dramatically. For this I am grateful.

#48 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

I often think of you when radical islam is slandered in the media and from under-educated Americans. Being able to put a voice and an (internet) face to the religion instead of an us vs. them scenario has improved my world view dramatically. For this I am grateful.

Speaking of, I hope Neo comes back soon.

#49 Rör av pojkar

Rör av pojkar

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

I thought the same as I was typing. An homage to his posting style.

#50 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Can't really have a conversation on religion if we're going to completely dismiss one side on the first page ;)

There are a few ways this thread can go

1) Religion

2) Faith

3)Purpose / existence 

Preferably, I vote on the 3rd, but that's just me

You mention Liebniz. His mistake is assuming that an answer or purpose to existence is a necessity, or if there is something to it that is knowable, that we could comprehend it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 21 December 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#51 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thank you for your answer, NS. I appreciate the time it took you to respond. I take it you made the decision to convert all on your own from what I read (no arm twisitng from loved ones). Was the decision to convert something that happened abruptly or was it a slow decision that happened over time? Is your wife religious at all? Is she muslim? At what age did you convert?

You are welcome.  I do like sharing my story, as it may help some to understand that we are not at all like what is depicted in the media.  That said, there are bad people out there doing all kinds of horrible things.  The worst of these, IMO, are the ones doing these things in the name of Religion, any Religion.

There is to be no compulsion in Religion ... a very wise person told me that.  It is what I and many others believe, so there was no influence on my decision to 'revert' ... I believe that to be a better term than convert, as I believe I was born muslim and just did not fully realize it until recently.  A basic teaching of Islam is that all are born innocent ... this notion of 'original sin' is not something we recognize and it's another thing that could not be explained to me properly.  I am estranged from most of my family, but lets just say that they would not look favourably upon my embracing of islam.

My wife said her shahada many years before I did and she is a practicing muslim.  In case you are wondering ... no, she does not wear a head scarf and no, I do not command her to do so.

I was just shy of my 46th birthday when I said my shahada to make it official, but I was a practicing muslim, IMO, many years before that.

Thank you and you are welcome.

It is because of me that he left and for that I am regretful.  I had called him out on something and there is no proof (as far as I know) of what it was he posted, as he edited his post.  To my knowledge no one else read it.  At the time there were few member logged in and no one has come forward to say they saw his post pre-edit.  It was out there very briefly prior to the edit.

I sent him a PM, but so far he has not read it.

I do hope he returns.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 21 December 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#52 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

NS you are very interesting. Josie and I often talk about hoping to meet you and your wife someday and attending prayer at your mosque. We can't think of anyone else we'd rather share that experience with.

#53 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

NS you are very interesting. Josie and I often talk about hoping to meet you and your wife someday and attending prayer at your mosque. We can't think of anyone else we'd rather share that experience with.

I would welcome that very much.  Although, we would have to pray at our home, as I am not comfortable praying in any mosque here in Halifax.

NOT IN MY NAME!!  NOT IN MY RELIGION!!

(to be clear (?) the above angry words are not a political statement)

#54 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

I would welcome that very much. Although, we would have to pray at our home, as I am not comfortable praying in any mosque here in Halifax.

NOT IN MY NAME!! NOT IN MY RELIGION!!

That would be just fine :)

#55 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

I would welcome that very much.  Although, we would have to pray at our home, as I am not comfortable praying in any mosque here in Halifax.

NOT IN MY NAME!!  NOT IN MY RELIGION!!

You are, of course, not obliged to answer any question I ask if you don't feel like it. But why don't you feel comfortable? Do people in Halifax threaten you/muslims in general? Do they teach things you don't believe to be true Islam?

#56 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

You are, of course, not obliged to answer any question I ask if you don't feel like it. But why don't you feel comfortable? Do people in Halifax threaten you/muslims in general? Do they teach things you don't believe to be true Islam?

They won't let him pray with his Fucale jersey on.

#57 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

You are welcome.  I do like sharing my story, as it may help some to understand that we are not at all like what is depicted in the media.  That said, there are bad people out there doing all kinds of horrible things.  The worst of these, IMO, are the ones doing these things in the name of Religion, any Religion.

There is to be no compulsion in Religion ... a very wise person told me that.  It is what I and many others believe, so there was no influence on my decision to 'revert' ... I believe that to be a better term than convert, as I believe I was born muslim and just did not fully realize it until recently.  A basic teaching of Islam is that all are born innocent ... this notion of 'original sin' is not something we recognize and it's another thing that could not be explained to me properly.  I am estranged from most of my family, but lets just say that they would not look favourably upon my embracing of islam.

My wife said her shahada many years before I did and she is a practicing muslim.  In case you are wondering ... no, she does not wear a head scarf and no, I do not command her to do so.

I was just shy of my 46th birthday when I said my shahada to make it official, but I was a practicing muslim, IMO, many years before that.

Thank you and you are welcome.

It is because of me that he left and for that I am regretful.  I had called him out on something and there is no proof (as far as I know) of what it was he posted, as he edited his post.  To my knowledge no one else read it.  At the time there were few member logged in and no one has come forward to say they saw his post pre-edit.  It was out there very briefly prior to the edit.

I sent him a PM, but so far he has not read it.

I do hope he returns.

Interesting stuff. Do you think you would have become muslim if you hadn't met and fallen in love with a muslim woman? Again, I'm not trying to knock your faith, conversion, or anything like that. For all I know you were already a believer in Islam prior to ever having met her. I think I would find it difficult to convert to a faith I wasn't familiar with but I've seen it happen many times. My girlfriend's father is/was an atheist and he recently married a Christian woman that is fairly religious and I've noticed that not only has he toned down his atheist rhetoric, he seems to have reverted/converted back into the Christian faith (I don't know for certain but I'm almost positive he was raised Christian before he became an atheist). 

Fucale saves!

#58 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

There are some ignorant people here that are bigoted, but I have it easier than many ... I can easily pass for a 'Canadian'.  There are no outward signs that I am a muslim ... I posted a photo of myself on here ... no big beard etc.

The problems I have is that there are many things about the mosques that are un-islamic.  For example ... they all have partitions separating the men from the women and they all use perfums and inscents, which is unislamic and against the law in public places in Halifax.  Not to mention they give me a migraine.  On top of that the mosques generally are more interested in dividing our (muslim) community than uniting it.  Things like feeding the poor, visiting the sick and caring for the homeless often are not important.  That said, many individuals are like minded and taking it upon themselves to do these things.

The biggest reason is that many of the local leaders of the mosques have forbid my wife from praying there, unless she can cover her head, which she cannot do as a result of her MS ... she cannot get overheated and covering her head would do that.  In islamic teaching it is most important to pray ... it is one of the 5 pillars of faith.

Another reason is that I can't seem to not keep my mouth shut and cannot stop my open criticism of Saudi Arabia.  

In general, there are many things that are traditional that have crept into the religion, many of which are not in the islamic teachings.

Now that is funny.

Funny too, is that they probably would.

#59 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

Interesting stuff. Do you think you would have become muslim if you hadn't met and fallen in love with a muslim woman? Again, I'm not trying to knock your faith, conversion, or anything like that. For all I know you were already a believer in Islam prior to ever having met her. I think I would find it difficult to convert to a faith I wasn't familiar with but I've seen it happen many times. My girlfriend's father is/was an atheist and he recently married a Christian woman that is fairly religious and I've noticed that not only has he toned down his atheist rhetoric, he seems to have reverted/converted back into the Christian faith (I don't know for certain but I'm almost positive he was raised Christian before he became an atheist). 

Fucale saves!

I met my wife about 30 years ago and she was not a practicing muslim then.  She said her shahada years later.  So, it would seem that I just fell head over heals for a French Canadien hottie from Montreal ...  :flirt: .

I was a believer in islam back then, but I did not realize it.

I do not think it is a good idea to embrace a faith based on the fact that you are in a relationship with someone of that faith.  Again, there must be no compulsion in religion, islam follows this as do other faith communities, but that does not mean the people of them do not do it.

And ...

FUCALE!!

#60 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

I met my wife about 30 years ago and she was not a practicing muslim then.  She said her shahada years later.  So, it would seem that I just fell head over heals for a French Canadien hottie from Montreal ...  :flirt: .

I was a believer in islam back then, but I did not realize it.

I do not think it is a good idea to embrace a faith based on the fact that you are in a relationship with someone of that faith.  Again, there must be no compulsion in religion, islam follows this as do other faith communities, but that does not mean the people of them do not do it.

And ...

FUCALE!!

Fair enough, man. I appreciate the insight as always.

And for the record, I'm fully in favor of bringing in Fucale. I bet he'd help us win some damn shootouts. All those SOL's are keeping us out of the playoff race.

#61 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

You may be raised in a Christian home but I'm not sure we can raise Christians. I can't prove God but faith and rationality are compatible. My family was not religious. As a child never attended church. My two siblings are not religious at all. Would say one is atheist and the other agnostic (maybe). I am a Christian and attend Mass most days. I don't push my faith on others but I also am offended by some anti Christian professions. My faith has been developed by my own study and research and not by being "zapped" by God in some mystical experience although I don't discount that experience for others.

#62 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

You may be raised in a Christian home but I'm not sure we can raise Christians. I can't prove God but faith and rationality are compatible. My family was not religious. As a child never attended church. My two siblings are not religious at all. Would say one is atheist and the other agnostic (maybe). I am a Christian and attend Mass most days. I don't push my faith on others but I also am offended by some anti Christian professions. My faith has been developed by my own study and research and not by being "zapped" by God in some mystical experience although I don't discount that experience for others.

You attend mass almost every day? Good on you, man, that's commitment. 

#63 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but the anti-Christian professions that I hold stem completely from the religious cohorts who are more than happy to push their faith on others. Blue laws, sin taxes, and attempts to ban certain activities (gay marriage, ######, abortion) were all pretty much passed to appease Christians in this country. If they were content to just assume the rest of us heathens were going to burn for eternity in the afterlife there shouldn't be a need to involve the government in these types of matters. But since there are attempts to subvert the freedom from religion that all are all entitled to the result is push back and feelings of animosity towards the finger wagers. It's natural.

#64 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but the anti-Christian professions that I hold stem completely from the religious cohorts who are more than happy to push their faith on others. Blue laws, sin taxes, and attempts to ban certain activities (gay marriage, ######, abortion) were all pretty much passed to appease Christians in this country. If they were content to just assume the rest of us heathens were going to burn for eternity in the afterlife there shouldn't be a need to involve the government in these types of matters. But since there are attempts to subvert the freedom from religion that all are all entitled to the result is push back and feelings of animosity towards the finger wagers. It's natural.

I know you're not accusing Radar of this stuff, but he sounds like exactly the opposite of the people you don't like, based on his posts in this thread and many others. 

#65 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,465 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

I was raised Catholic because of my mother (my father believes in God, the afterlife, and reincarnation...but has little use for organized religion), but haven't attended mass outside of weddings/funerals since I made my confirmation. Though I'm agnostic at this point, that's not why I stopped going to church. I stopped going because if God and Jesus are everything I was taught they are, my view is they'd rather me be out in the world helping others an hour a week than going to a dedicated building and singing/saying the same things over and over again. That's not meant as an insult to those who do, just my take on, and understanding of, the higher power. So basically I have my father's view of organized religion without the accompanying spirituality. My mother, for her part, hadn't been to church since the priest sexual abuse scandal (and the church hierarchy's cover-up) broke. She still holds religious beliefs, but that broke her faith in the church as an institution.

I take no issue with those who gain strength and comfort from their belief system, and rely on it for a moral compass of sorts. It's just not my thing; doesn't do anything for me personally.

#66 Radar

Radar

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

I was raised Catholic because of my mother (my father believes in God, the afterlife, and reincarnation...but has little use for organized religion), but haven't attended mass outside of weddings/funerals since I made my confirmation. Though I'm agnostic at this point, that's not why I stopped going to church. I stopped going because if God and Jesus are everything I was taught they are, my view is they'd rather me be out in the world helping others an hour a week than going to a dedicated building and singing/saying the same things over and over again. That's not meant as an insult to those who do, just my take on, and understanding of, the higher power. So basically I have my father's view of organized religion without the accompanying spirituality. My mother, for her part, hadn't been to church since the priest sexual abuse scandal (and the church hierarchy's cover-up) broke. She still holds religious beliefs, but that broke her faith in the church as an institution.
I take no issue with those who gain strength and comfort from their belief system, and rely on it for a moral compass of sorts. It's just not my thing; doesn't do anything for me personally.

Organized religion devoid of spirituality I agree is not very appealing. The sexual abuse scandal is something the church certainly didn't handle as well as I would have liked. Having said that I also realize that the church is made up of humans such as myself and I know all to well my vulnerability to wrong doing and need for His grace. We need to be honest about our failings. Ultimately our faith has to center on Him and not on an institution. I attend Mass to worship Him. That one hour does not take away from twenty three hours left that we can carry out his instructions to feed the hungry,clothe the naked etc.

#67 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

I know you're not accusing Radar of this stuff, but he sounds like exactly the opposite of the people you don't like, based on his posts in this thread and many others. 

I know this. My problem isn't with people like Radar, it's with people like Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, and countless others. If the "good" Christians would stop voting these "bad" Christians into positions of power, I wouldn't have any problem with religion. Until that happens the "good" ones will continue to get lumped in with the "bad" ones and the anti-Christian propaganda will continue by the heathens who are singled out by the religious right.

No different from the NFL enabling scumbag teams like the Patriots who have been caught cheating multiple times (and who knows how many other ways they've cheated and either not been caught or have been caught and it was just swept under the rug). The religious right are the Patriots who get their way by any means necessary and the "good" Christians are the NFL who ignore the problem or look the other way because they either agree with the agenda anyway or just don't care because it's good for business.

#68 bob_sauve28

bob_sauve28

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

Salam / Peace.

Wow! Very interesting 

#69 JSBeersson

JSBeersson

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

I know this. My problem isn't with people like Radar, it's with people like Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, and countless others. If the "good" Christians would stop voting these "bad" Christians into positions of power, I wouldn't have any problem with religion. Until that happens the "good" ones will continue to get lumped in with the "bad" ones and the anti-Christian propaganda will continue by the heathens who are singled out by the religious right.

So the religious thread breaks into politics, here we go again.

#70 mörksabre

mörksabre

Negative Waves

• Members
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

There's no way to avoid it. The two are so intertwined in this country. 

#71 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

Ok, so ignore the Carson, Huckabee, etc. part and all of that and insert Jerry Falwell, Ted Haggert, and Jim Baker. They push an agenda and that agenda gets carried out by elected officials. The best example is intelligent design. Passing theology off as science so elected school board officials can march in lockstep with evangelical views that have no business controlling decisions of the population at large, many of whom choose not to believe in that type of stuff.

Edited by Drunkard, 22 December 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#72 JSBeersson

JSBeersson

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

There's no way to avoid it. The two are so intertwined in this country. 

So funny so true

Ok, so ignore the Carson, Huckabee, etc. part and all of that and insert Jerry Falwell, Ted Haggert, and Jim Baker. They push an agenda and that agenda gets carried out by elected officials. The best example is intelligent design. Passing theology off as science so elected school board officials can march in lockstep with evangelical views that have no business controlling decisions of the population at large, many of whom choose not to believe in that type of stuff.

Just when we thought we were out...... They pull me back in

None of those guys have much pull on the electorate today although the religious right haven't had their voting rights taken away as far as I know. Agree or disagree if they actually vote they get a say on how things go. I'm in Texas, I hate their hold on some politicians but Doohickie and I get out voted every election.

#73 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

So funny so true

Just when we thought we were out...... They pull me back in

None of those guys have much pull on the electorate today although the religious right haven't had their voting rights taken away as far as I know. Agree or disagree if they actually vote they get a say on how things go. I'm in Texas, I hate their hold on some politicians but Doohickie and I get out voted every election.

Maybe those people individually don't have much pull but people who agree with their stances and agenda do and as a result their influence is felt. I'm fine with them and everyone else having a vote. They are even fully within their rights to push their religious agenda but I'm fully within my rights to ridicule them for it and use their own arguments against them (subverting free will, etc.). Didn't Rick Perry hold some huge event to pray for rain or some other nonsense a few years back? I live in NC where they had to pass a statewide bathroom bill telling people which bathroom they can piss in just because they didn't like the way the liberals in Charlotte passed a rule to allow them to legally piss where they choose. Things like that deserve ridicule in order to slowly turn the tide over time. Nobody cared about gay rights (except gay people and a few uber liberals) 20 years ago, but you put a few gay characters on television and they slowly begin to gain acceptance within the population at large and equal rights in the rule books. Atheism and reason will eventually rule the day but it's not happening quickly.

#74 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

I have enjoyed the discussion in this thread, but it seems that the inevitable drift has begun.  I hope we can get back on track.

On that note ... it's time for me to pray.

NS, out for 10.

#75 ABBA_älskare_69

ABBA_älskare_69

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hmm. Side stepping some previous convo here and rambling along... 

I've wondered my whole life how much religion is a person's principles and how much of it is an exterior doctrine that a person melds their principles to. Faith can be so ruined by people... but it wouldn't exist or have the beauty it does without them... It's tough! 

I grew up in a family that never went to church- it was a people thing more than anything. I often assumed that someday I would consider being a church goer if the community was right. I searched quite a bit as a kid- trying out some Judaism here (it's in my family- the Christian side wrote the Jewish side out of the family tree, which bothers me to no end), some Christianity there. I only ended up getting hurt. Think the documentary Jesus Camp. A lot of megachurches/fundamental groups where I grew up... and their way of answering a searching 15 year old girl was to very publicly "save me" via shaming me. Using fear and ostracizing me to cow me into joining, who could be the loudest worshipper in the room. As a result, I am extraordinarily wary of groups, esp those touting religion. 

But I realize that was people. You can twist any set of rules to behoove your basest motives (see: politics). You can also learn some great lessons through religious teachings. 

I guess I still waver on my belief of higher powers. I never fully turned away from it. I enjoy the stories you find in the Big Three's scriptures (Judaism, Islam, Christianity), which of course often overlap. I also have found a lot of answers in Buddhism. There is so much beauty and creativity, and I feel as though much of it wasn't really meant to be taken literally. 

People answer unanswerable questions with it, use it as a tool for good. I'm cool with that. I try really hard to see if the person pushing a doctrine on me truly believes it or feels they must proselytize for fear of being dropped by their peers. I suppose I could be called superstitious- belief built out of fear. But I'm a pessimistic person, so that's not surprising. Eastern ideas of maintaining rhythm and happiness have helped me a lot. The idea of placing my burdens on a God-like big buddy makes me uncomfortable- I don't enjoy being beholden to others for things I can/should do myself!! 

I guess I like a mix of teachings. No one path has answered everything. I'm gonna keep shopping around- feels healthiest to me. 

#76 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

Very interesting, Josie.

I think you should shop around and take a blend of everything.  Why not.  It's good.

As for the scriptures overlapping.  It is by design.  They were all revealed at precise intervals and confirm the previous scriptures and have some added.

#77 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

Score one for the non-believers. I'm actually surprised that the article stated there was no opposition in Congress.

http://www.independe...a-a7489641.html

Now if we could only protect the teaching of evolution and sex ed.

#78 Sabersfläkt i NS

Sabersfläkt i NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

Score one for the non-believers. I'm actually surprised that the article stated there was no opposition in Congress.

http://www.independe...a-a7489641.html

Now if we could only protect the teaching of evolution and sex ed.

As it should be.

In fact, I thought it was all along.  So, it's good that it is now the law.

#79 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

As it should be.

In fact, I thought it was all along.  So, it's good that it is now the law.

I didn't either to be honest, but I think the legislation is more geared towards international endeavors. Either way, it's good to know "none of the above" will now count the same as the other options.

#80 Alkoholist

Alkoholist

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

Time to start sacrificing goats or something. The Sabres need some voodoo to stop their sucking.

Can we throw DB into a volcano to appease the Gods or something?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic, religion