948 replies to this topic

#81 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

I did 20 years ago when it came out. Ray Allen has been Jesus Shuttleworth ever since.

Yep

#82 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:41 AM

Saw 2 movies in theaters yesterday.  Fantastic Beasts and The Edge of 17.  Fantastic Beasts was eh. Pretty good, but I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters.

Edge of 17 was sooooo good.  They nailed what it's like to be a know it all teenager.  There were a few lines in the movie that made me laugh so hard and feel so personally figured out. Hailee Steinfeld is an incredible young actor. She just lights up the screen.  Woody Harrelson keeps cementing the special place in my heart he's had since Zombieland came out.

Edited by qwksndmonster, 24 November 2016 - 01:42 AM.

#83 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

This is from the spring, but an HBO movie called "All the Way," which looks at how LBJ and to a lesser extent MLK navigated the first year after Kennedy was killed and got the Civil Rights Act passed, was absolutely brilliant. Bryan Cranston as Johnson, unbelievable. Actually, very believable. It was one of those performances where I bought into it so much I thought I was seeing LBJ himself. The prosthetic nose and ears and makeup get huge credit, but the actor nailed it. What else would you expect from Cranston? It might have been a better portrayal of an American president than Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. I'm serious. If you like this kind of stuff, don't miss it. Plus, they worked in the infamous and raunchy instructions LBJ gave to his tailor. (Bradley Whitford of West Wing fame was also very, very good as Hubert Humphrey.)

Edited by PASabreFan, 27 November 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#84 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

I saw All The Way on Broadway. It was a fantastic experience.

#85 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:29 AM

I saw All The Way on Broadway. It was a fantastic experience.

Did it have the bunghole scene?

#86 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

Did it have the bunghole scene?

No idea. 'Twas 4 years ago.

#87 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,347 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

Saw 2 movies in theaters yesterday.  Fantastic Beasts and The Edge of 17.  Fantastic Beasts was eh. Pretty good, but I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters.

Edge of 17 was sooooo good.  They nailed what it's like to be a know it all teenager.  There were a few lines in the movie that made me laugh so hard and feel so personally figured out. Hailee Steinfeld is an incredible young actor. She just lights up the screen.  Woody Harrelson keeps cementing the special place in my heart he's had since Zombieland came out.

Woody Harrelson is always "Woody Boyd" to me. Haven't really seen anything since that to supplant it.

#88 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,613 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

I watched The Plot to Kill Hitler on YouTube ... yup.

It was good and I believe historically accurate.

The biggest problem with these kind of movies, well most of them, is that all the German characters speak perfect English and not one word of German.

#89 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,347 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

I watched The Plot to Kill Hitler on YouTube ... yup.

It was good and I believe historically accurate.

The biggest problem with these kind of movies, well most of them, is that all the German characters speak perfect English and not one word of German.

It's kind of understandable, no? James Mason was "totally" convincing as Rommel, so why not. :)

#90 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,613 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

It's kind of understandable, no? James Mason was "totally" convincing as Rommel, so why not. :)

I think that's the one from 2008 with Tom Cruise ... yuk.

The one I watched was from 1990 and the guy who played Rommel, while speaking perfect English, as least looked like him, kind of, and had blue eyes.

#91 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,347 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

I think that's the one from 2008 with Tom Cruise ... yuk.

The one I watched was from 1990 and the guy who played Rommel, while speaking perfect English, as least looked like him, kind of, and had blue eyes.

This is what I was referring to:

#92 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

The Ranch on Netflix is hilarious. 

#93 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:51 AM

I saw fantastic beasts...But have never seen the Potter movies (though I got the jist from many visits to Harry Potter world at Universal studios) and I enjoyed it, I think I missed what exactly happened at the end with Colin Ferrell but overall a pretty cool movie.

#94 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

I saw fantastic beasts...But have never seen the Potter movies (though I got the jist from many visits to Harry Potter world at Universal studios) and I enjoyed it, I think I missed what exactly happened at the end with Colin Ferrell but overall a pretty cool movie.

Spoiler

Edited by qwksndmonster, 30 November 2016 - 03:25 AM.

#95 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:56 AM

Colin Farrell turned into Johnny Depp.

Was that actor Johnny Depp?

#96 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

Was that actor Johnny Depp?

Ayup.

#97 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

Fantastic beasts was..... fantastic!I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I won't say anything about the ending.

#98 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

The opening scene in He Got Game (the opening credits sequence) might be my favorite of all time.

It's such a deeply emotional love letter to the beauty of basketball.  The Copland score is both beautiful and unsettling.  Beautiful to underscore the passion, unsettling because of what this movie is about.

It evokes, to me, all those times I'm at the pond alone.  Maybe my siblings just left, maybe it was just a solo skate anyways.  When the only thing that's on my mind is what I'm going to do with the puck next.  I can't stop going around one more time, getting one more shot, one more dangle.  All my stress and worry and insecurity is gone.  It's just me, the stars, and hockey.

The scene that uses Hoedown 7 minutes later in the movie is also incredible.

The use of the Copland music really captures the pace of basketball well.  They're grinding and assessing until it's time to make a move... and it is glorious. There's probably an added level of emotion for me in these scenes because I played lots of Copland in high school and music was by far the most positive part of my high school experience.

Edited by qwksndmonster, 30 November 2016 - 07:15 PM.

#99 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Fantastic beasts was..... fantastic!I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I won't say anything about the ending.

Agreed.

#100 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

I thought Fantastic Beasts was ok.

#101 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

Saw Allied tonight.  It was a competent film. The first hour was really neat in the way it was paced and framed.  After that the movie gets pretty boring, and the ending undermines a lot of the characterization and mystery of the first hour.

Edited by qwksndmonster, 03 December 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#102 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:24 AM

episode 3 of the grand tour..... Richard Hammond is a secret american i swear haha.

#103 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:24 AM

I'm giving Westworld a B for this season.

#104 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

episode 3 of the grand tour..... Richard Hammond is a secret american i swear haha.

Just binge watched the first three episodes of Grand Tour yesterday. It's pretty fantastic. The big three are back and as good as ever

#105 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,613 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

I watched The Battle of the Bulge on YouTube yesterday ... I was a bit bored and it hooked me.

1965 all star cast ... all young versions of Robert Shaw, Henry Fonda, Kojak and that Death Wish guy.

The graphics are very funny back then.

My favourite scene ...

More Germans speaking perfect English.

#106 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

Featuring my favorite "German guy who is in every WWII movie", Karl Otto Alberty. http://m.imdb.com/na...f_=m_ttfcd_cl13

#107 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,347 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

I'm surprised as anyone that I feel like their schitck is wearing thin. The last few series of TG started to wear on me as it was beautifully-shot but repetitive. I don't feel like the new one is shot as well and I find myself missing the celebrity interviews and serious car tests on the track to break up the buffoonery. This could also be in part that the Clarkson "incident" has pushed him from "loud-mouth buffoon" to "actual giant ######" in my mind so I'm less favourable to the stupid crap he says.

#108 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Brandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

This is what I was referring to:

That's a great film.  I've always enjoyed James Mason's portrayal of Rommel.  

#109 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

His show Richard Hammond's Crash Course is basically just him fanboying all across America. He realllllly loves the US of A. 

I'm surprised as anyone that I feel like their schitck is wearing thin. The last few series of TG started to wear on me as it was beautifully-shot but repetitive. I don't feel like the new one is shot as well and I find myself missing the celebrity interviews and serious car tests on the track to break up the buffoonery. This could also be in part that the Clarkson "incident" has pushed him from "loud-mouth buffoon" to "actual giant ######" in my mind so I'm less favourable to the stupid crap he says.

I'm enjoying it for now but your last statement there has been an issue of mine for awhile. He's brilliant but rather repulses me. At least the other two bust his balls constantly. 

I rarely enjoyed the celebrity bits in TG, I admit it. Once in awhile, you'd get a stunner, or it would totally change my opinion on someone. But it was just always rather off for me. 

I'd like to see them forced to drive each other's car choices. It's predictable- James May in a refined, stately "old codger's choice" version of whatever the prompt is, Hammond in a 20 something's wet dream muscle car or Porsche, and Clarkson in a Benz or whatever they had the highest budget for. 

But it's still fun. 

#110 Jsixspd

Jsixspd

If it goes wrong, blame Brandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

I watched The Battle of the Bulge on YouTube yesterday ... I was a bit bored and it hooked me.

1965 all star cast ... all young versions of Robert Shaw, Henry Fonda, Kojak and that Death Wish guy.

The graphics are very funny back then.

My favourite scene ...

More Germans speaking perfect English.

That movie though - goes beyond taking artistic liberties with the Battle of Bulge - as I recall (and I haven't watched it in years) it's horrendously inaccurate and doesn't even follow the actual timeline or events of the historic Battle of the Bulge that I've read about in various books.  

Edited by Jsixspd, 06 December 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#111 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,613 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

That movie though - goes beyond taking artistic liberties with the Battle of Bulge - as I recall (and I haven't watched it in years) it's horrendously inaccurate and doesn't even follow the actual timeline or events of the historic Battle of the Bulge that I've read about in various books.  

I agree, but I am a big Robert Shaw fan.

#112 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

His show Richard Hammond's Crash Course is basically just him fanboying all across America. He realllllly loves the US of A. 

I'm enjoying it for now but your last statement there has been an issue of mine for awhile. He's brilliant but rather repulses me. At least the other two bust his balls constantly. 

I rarely enjoyed the celebrity bits in TG, I admit it. Once in awhile, you'd get a stunner, or it would totally change my opinion on someone. But it was just always rather off for me. 

I'd like to see them forced to drive each other's car choices. It's predictable- James May in a refined, stately "old codger's choice" version of whatever the prompt is, Hammond in a 20 something's wet dream muscle car or Porsche, and Clarkson in a Benz or whatever they had the highest budget for. 

But it's still fun. 

I like The Grand Tour and I don't care what anyone says! 

Although after 3 episodes the "celebrity brain crash" bit is already played out for me. I hope they move on from that soon. 

#113 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Handmaiden and Moonlight were both excellent. Both of these movies are indie darlings that got limited releases (had to drive to Ithaca to see them). I feel like I need to see Handmaiden again to really grasp it. Moonlight is a great movie about sexuality, male sensitivity, and the criminalization of the black man.

Incarnate was hilariously bad. Inception + excorcism - editing. It feels like they rolled with a first draft that somebody wrote over a weekend. Aaron Eckhart (two face from Dark Knight) and Carice Van Houten (Melisandre from GoT) were both in it at least.

Allied was eh. The first hour was great. Robert Zemeckis doesn't seem to really wanna try very hard anymore. The story of this movie is very unambitious, and undermines the strong characterization that we get early on.

#114 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Anyone in here into the original Star Trek television show? Must admit it was before my time, but I'm getting into it. I did enjoy The Next Generation while growing up, so for the heck of it I decided to watch an episode of the original last night on Netflix. Right now I'm enjoying it. Let me add the plan of watching one episode led to watching three. 

Edited by GoPre, 07 December 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#115 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Anyone in here into the original Star Trek television show? Must admit it was before my time, but I'm getting into it. I did enjoy The Next Generation while growing up, so for the heck of it I decided to watch an episode of the original last night on Netflix. Right now I'm enjoying it.

I got into it a few years ago. I feel like everyone owes it to themselves to watch the original Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio of Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley. The ship in a bottle episodes have such great atmosphere and tension building. The Doomsday Machine is my favorite episode.

Also, newer movies could take a page out of Star Trek's book when it comes to techno-babble.

#116 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I like The Grand Tour and I don't care what anyone says! 

Although after 3 episodes the "celebrity brain crash" bit is already played out for me. I hope they move on from that soon. 

Yes. That bit was funny the first time as a parody of the celebrity section of Top Gear. Now that it is apparent that they will not be actually doing a segment, it should just go away and be replaced with actual car testing or something.

Other than that I still like the show, but then again I would watch re-runs of Top Gear on BBC all day. 

#117 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,347 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Anyone in here into the original Star Trek television show? Must admit it was before my time, but I'm getting into it. I did enjoy The Next Generation while growing up, so for the heck of it I decided to watch an episode of the original last night on Netflix. Right now I'm enjoying it. Let me add the plan of watching one episode led to watching three. 

I've been working my way through it the recently, including last night while working. I saw various episodes over the years when I was younger, but it seems there are a bunch that I've never seen or don't remember. I'm in the third season now, "And the Childern Shall Lead" and "Is there No truth in Beauty?" (featuring Spock in a red visor and Dr. Pulaski) last.

The Netflix versions have the updated external shots with the computer-rendered ship and planets. I generally like it, but it'd be cool to compare to the original effects from time to time.

Edited by MattPie, 08 December 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#118 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

Fargo, Season 2: The country was sick. A lack of confidence, Carter said. Did it get the placebo or the real thing in the election of 1980? (I loved this season.)

#119 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Fargo, Season 2: The country was sick. A lack of confidence, Carter said. Did it get the placebo or the real thing in the election of 1980? (I loved this season.)

Fargo is on my list of shows to watch but haven't gotten around to yet. I loved the movie and I'll watch absolutely anything with Bruce Campbell and since he plays Reagan I've got to get around to it one of these days.

Speaking of Bruce Campbell the season 2 finale of the Greatest Show ever (Ash vs Evil Dead) based on the best trilogy ever (Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness) is coming on Sunday at 8 pm on Starz.

And for the record, yes I said GREATEST TRILOGY ever. Anyone who thinks Star Wars or Lord of the Rings of any of that other nonsense beats the great Ash Williams can eat my butt, ha ha!

#120 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

Some Trump supporters and Neo-Nazis are boycotting the new Stars Wars film.

I'm gonna see it like 15 times!

Edited by LGR4GM, 09 December 2016 - 12:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic, Movies, TV Shows