Photo

Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Off Topic Movies TV Shows

• Please log in to reply
1086 replies to this topic

#1 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,770 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

I think there is a thread for this already, but I could not find it.

A good friend and I watched *Tooth Fairy* last evening.

He got it for his kids to watch in 2010.  It was really good, surprisingly enough.  A hockey themed tooth fairy tale.  Two grown men with tears in their eyes at the happy ending.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 05 April 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#2 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

Watched the Kevin Hart movie. 'Twas lotsa fun. The sketch in the beginning was great.

#3 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

I'm enjoying "westworld" and "high maintenance" on HBO.

#4 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

I'm enjoying "westworld" and "high maintenance" on HBO.

Westworld is great.

#5 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

Ok with Halloween approaching, what is a movie or series of movies that actually scared you? I'm talking to the level of having difficultly sleeping at night. The movie that did me in was "IT." The clown pulled a number on me. I was a young kid. Watched it w/out my parents knowing. Had a hard time sleeping and was afraid to go in the basement and attic. So what scared you guys? There has to be at least one movie that did you in.

#6 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

Can we just make a movies/tv thread like we have the music thread and other general threads? No reason to make a new one every time the weather changes.

#7 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:01 AM

The Shining is still the best scary movie of all time for me.

Gonna watch Night of the Hunter tonight.

#8 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

The Shining is still the best scary movie of all time for me.

Gonna watch Night of the Hunter tonight.

Halloween is the best scary movie for me. John Carpenter's version. Although I did enjoy the Rob Zombie version.

#9 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,464 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Scary movies don't do much for me. But I will note that House of 1000 Corpses might be one of the most unsettling movies I've ever watched. It's not a good movie at all. But it's very sadistic.

#10 Hoss

Hoss

Someday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

Scary movies don't do much for me. But I will note that House of 1000 Corpses might be one of the most unsettling movies I've ever watched. It's not a good movie at all. But it's very sadistic.

Indeed. The bunny scene is haunting. Rob Zombie sucks.

Nightbreed was a nearly comedic horror flick I saw a ton growing up because my family watched it a lot for some reason.

I like a good horror film with an original story line but there aren't many now. I liked Sinister (the sequel is trash).

#11 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

I will only watch slasher horror. I need a good old fashioned killer in my movies. I absolutely hate the supernatural ones. I like the ones where the girl falls while running through the woods, unarmed and alone.

#12 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,464 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

Indeed. The bunny scene is haunting. Rob Zombie sucks.

Nightbreed was a nearly comedic horror flick I saw a ton growing up because my family watched it a lot for some reason.

I like a good horror film with an original story line but there aren't many now. I liked Sinister (the sequel is trash).

I'm just not big on the whole concept of being scared by a movie. Is that what horror movies are supposed to do?

Somewhat related, but many moons ago dfdtrumpet and I got dragged into seeing Lady in the Water by the girls who thought it was a scary movie. It totally wasn't. We laughed our assess off the whole time and the girls were legit disappointed that it wasn't scary :lol:

#13 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Babadook

#14 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,133 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

Never was a big fan of horror flicks.

Biggest scares for me were The Shining and the original Alien. Saw Alien at the movies when I was 10ish. I wanted out of that theater in the worst way.

#15 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

Not big into the slasher flicks with the same old tired recipe of the teenagers at the lake party. Really like some of the asian movies cause they seem to have a whole different vibe on how to scare ya. More cerebral. Ringu comes to mind. 

Edited by bunomatic, 16 October 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#16 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

Psychological horror films are my favorite.

They're not quite "scary movies," but Jacob's Ladder and The Invitation are two phenominal psychological films.

Been meaning to watch the Babadook for weeks.

The Ring scared the bejesus out of me when I was younger. I really wanna watch the original Japanese version.

#17 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,770 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

The only horror movie worth a damn is the original Omen.

Man you better bring an extra pair of underoos.

A pretty close second, although the movie did not do the book justice, IMO, is "It".  Man King has a way of playing on all your childhood worst nightmares.

Can we just make a movies/tv thread like we have the music thread and other general threads? No reason to make a new one every time the weather changes.

If everyone agrees I will change this one to capture all of it.

#18 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Psychological horror films are my favorite.
They're not quite "scary movies," but Jacob's Ladder and The Invitation are two phenominal psychological films.
Been meaning to watch the Babadook for weeks.
The Ring scared the bejesus out of me when I was younger. I really wanna watch the original Japanese version.

Was just going to post Jacob's Ladder. It's very psychological and gets that great "uneasy" feeling across that it's meant to.

I like horror movies and want them to do their job and be scary, but it's so hard to find nowadays. Honestly, last time I was creeped out was the first paranormal activity. Sure the franchise (and found footage genre) has largely gone to the dogs, but it had a uniqueness and creepy factor.

Did anyone see Lights Out? Was based on a YouTube short film. Both are actually really good. I recommend youtubing the short.

#19 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

Lights Out was an effective movie. I still think about it when I'm in the dark.

The script isn't great and the filmmaking was in need of a lot more creativity, but it's pretty good.

The Gallows is a pretty excellent found footage movie. It got abysmal reviews. Has, like, a 10 on rotten tomatoes. But I LOVE IT.

#20 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'll have to check out The Gallows, then. If it's bad, I'll have to trick you into watching something that sucks.

#21 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

I'll have to check out The Gallows, then. If it's bad, I'll have to trick you into watching something that sucks.

If you think it's bad, I'll know you for a fool. :P

Edited by qwksndmonster, 16 October 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#22 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

If you think it's bad, I'll know you for a fool. :P

90% of Rotten Tomatoes is fools? :P

Well, maybe like 70%, haha.

#23 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

90% of Rotten Tomatoes is fools? :P

Well, maybe like 70%, haha.

YES! So many reviewers are lame.

#24 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

I will only watch slasher horror. I need a good old fashioned killer in my movies. I absolutely hate the supernatural ones. I like the ones where the girl falls while running through the woods, unarmed and alone.

Check out the Hitcher, Eden Lake, Devil's Rejects, Funny Games, I spit on your grave (remake from 2010), P2, Kalifornia, and Strangeland. All good slasher/torture type flicks without any supernatural nonsense.

#25 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:16 AM

I may have watched the worst horror movie last night.... Called the apparition.... We all got a red box after a day of tailgating and evening hangovers, thought it could be fun, I warn all to stay far away from this abomination

#26 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

I may have watched the worst horror movie last night.... Called the apparition.... We all got a red box after a day of tailgating and evening hangovers, thought it could be fun, I warn all to stay far away from this abomination

Worst as in poorly done or in poor taste? Bad in general, etc?

My girlfriend googled most f'd up movies of all time and I think we watched the worst one (even though it was only ranked #4 or #6 or something on the list. It's called a Serbian film and I don't recommend it unless you really just get your rocks off with messed up stuff. Complete snuff film but we watched it until the end. The movie itself was actually pretty well done, it's the plot/content that will make you want to scrub your own brain with bleach after you watch it.

#27 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

I will say that Devil's Rejects was good.

Not a huge horror fan either... if I watch it I want it to be sci-fi-ish. For me, John Carpenter's The Thing and the original Alien are favorites. The special effects and making of both films is brilliant stuff. And The Mist really creeped me out, that damn ending. 

I prefer to watch friends or playthroughs of horror games. Playing Deadspace back in college with the lights off for hours and then watching the horrible movie Event Horizon while drinking made for some interesting dreams. 

#28 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

Just watched Babadook again.

Ho Lee Sh!t.

#29 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

I saw Ouija: Origin of Evil last night. It's the prequel to Ouija, which came out in 2014 (currently sporting a 7% on rotten tomatoes).

It was pretty good. I never got really into it or got scared, but I respect the movie a lot.

The director is REALLY into the depth of shots. It felt like an homage to movies that were adapted from the stage. The filmmaking was all about two subjects in the frame with a very narrow focus. It created a really neat feeling, even though it didn't always feel justified in the story.

There are some funny bits, and some silly bits (intentional and otherwise), but most importantly this movie wasn't ashamed of itself at all.

I've come to despise the trailer, which I'd probably seen at least 6 times before last night. Oh my god does that trailer show wayyyyyy to much.

If you want a fun spooky halloween movie, I say go for it.

#30 Wyldnwoody44

Wyldnwoody44

"Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

My girlfriend googled most f'd up movies of all time and I think we watched the worst one (even though it was only ranked #4 or #6 or something on the list. It's called a Serbian film and I don't recommend it unless you really just get your rocks off with messed up stuff. Complete snuff film but we watched it until the end. The movie itself was actually pretty well done, it's the plot/content that will make you want to scrub your own brain with bleach after you watch it.

Terrible acting, plot line, everything....

I saw Ouija last night, it was OK, but felt it could have been done better, rotten tomatoes gave it 80% Id say 50%

#31 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

You actually watched A Serbian Film?

#32 GoPre

GoPre

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

Is Jeepers Creepers legit? People have told me it's a great scary movie. Almost picked up 1 and 2 today.

#33 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

You actually watched A Serbian Film?

Beginning all the way to the credits. Definitely the most disturbing film I've seen. It's like the writers were constantly trying to top eachother with how low they could set the bar.

Is Jeepers Creepers legit? People have told me it's a great scary movie. Almost picked up 1 and 2 today.

It's a little campy but worth a watch. I don't think I was impressed enough to watch the sequel though, mostly because sequels tend to drop about 2 points on the scale of 10 to me and I'd probably only give the first one a 6 or 7 at best.

#34 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

a serbian film always struck me as a dare type movie. I just imagine some director pissed off at the money behind his movie and thinking to himself "how can i screw over the studio."

#35 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

a serbian film always struck me as a dare type movie. I just imagine some director pissed off at the money behind his movie and thinking to himself "how can i screw over the studio."

Pretty much. If you ever want to win a bet for who can name the most f'd up movie, it should be the winner.

#36 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

Thought the same way myslef. I'm happy I read the synopsis. Well, happy as I can be as I knew to avoid that movie afterwards

Edited by WildCard, 24 October 2016 - 11:41 AM.

#37 Drunkard

Drunkard

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

Thought the same way myslef. I'm happy I read the synopsis. We, happy as I can be as I knew to avoid that movie afterwards

C'mon Charlie, everyone needs a little bestiality, ######, and necrophilia to brighten up their day. It's more fun than a Saturday trip to the Home Depot.  

#38 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

Admiral, a Dutch historical drama about Admiral De Ruyter, a naval hero. Frankly, I don't know much about his era on history or speak Dutch (of which about 80% of the movie spoken in), but Netflix kept telling me to watch it and it's up around 5 stars so I gave it a shot. It's not bad at all, I'd watch it again. Lots of ships and cannons, a bunch of political treachery stuff. Plus, stars Dutch Ron Jeremy in the lead role.

#39 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Pensive Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

Denial. Great movie. In my top 2 for the year (The Lobster is the other one).

It's as if the filmmakers knew exactly how this election year would be.

#40 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Honorary Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

I think there is a thread for this already, but I could not find it.

A good friend and I watched *Tooth Fairy* last evening.

He got it for his kids to watch in 2010.  It was really good, surprisingly enough.  A hockey themed tooth fairy tale.  Two grown men with tears in their eyes at the happy ending.

The thread for this is on page 3 and is the Summer Movie Thread or somesuch. Maybe a quick merge to have a Movie thread instead of seasonal?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic, Movies, TV Shows