596 replies to this topic

#561 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

I think the Sabres are actually 2-4 in Conference Finals (1975, 1980, 1998, 1999, 2006, 2007).

That article doesn't include Mittelstadt, Kane, Baptiste, and Davidsson. Here are my top 12 forwards in a few years:

Mittelstadt - Eichel - Nylander
Kane - Reinhart - Okposo
Asplund - O'Reilly - Baptiste
Davidsson - Girgensons - Bailey

That looks incredibly strong to me. Possibly the best in the entire league if all 12 reach their talent projections? Or am I being a homer?

I agree that looks good. I'd say thought that with the exception of Mittelstadt, it's very similar to the one posted in the article, though. Basically, I don't see a discernible difference between Pu/Fasching and Davidsson/Baptiste. Kane for Larsson is a nice upgrade, though.

Basically, I think the article's lineup looks a heck of a lot better with only one simple addition, that of Mittelstadt.

#562 3putt

3putt

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

ROR will be a winger in any lineup in 2 years, preferably on Jacks wing. Asplund will take Larssons place. Casey will be a pivot with OK on his wing. I doubt Bailey ever becomes a consistent NHL contributor but I think Baptiste and Fasching break out this year. If Kane signs to a workable number and plays alongside Asplund we would have very good distributed scoring and wheels through out the lineup.

#563 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

I agree that looks good. I'd say thought that with the exception of Mittelstadt, it's very similar to the one posted in the article, though. Basically, I don't see a discernible difference between Pu/Fasching and Davidsson/Baptiste. Kane for Larsson is a nice upgrade, though.

Basically, I think the article's lineup looks a heck of a lot better with only one simple addition, that of Mittelstadt.

Interesting comment of Davidsson/Baptiste - Pu/Fasching... though if all four develop well then the Sabres will have some trade bait for D.  We will see and if one or two develop further even more chance for a good hockey trade or high end picks...

#564 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,882 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

I absolutely hate analyses like that.  I'll never understand the point of looking at something without factoring in trades and free agents.  I know that's impossible to project, but it is a huge part of any team building process.  Find me one team who hasn't added a single player from another NHL team over a 3 year period.  Good luck with that search.  I don't understand the logic behind putting something together based on a set of rules that immediately invalidate it.

#565 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

Not saying our defence doesn't need better players in the NHL or more prospects in the pipeline. It does.
I am saying that our desperation for d is a bit overstated when you look at the demographic of our NHL roster:

Risto and McCabe are 23 and should be in our top four for a long time.
Antipin and Beaulieu are 24 and could become middle-pair guys.
Scandella and Bogosian are 27 and under contract for a while.

That's a young defence with a lot of questions, but also some upside. They definitely can skate.
Time will tell if they are overmatched, but they should buy Botterill some time.
And they could actually develop into something decent.

With Guhle coming, if one of Antipin, Beaulieu or Bogosian develops/rebounds and we grab a D high next year, we could look a lot better fairly quickly.

Edited by dudacek, 21 July 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#566 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

Just 2 years ago the future was supposed guys like Lemieux, Armia, Zadorov, Compher, Petersen, etc...

It's pointless to try and forecast a lineup more than one year in advance.

#567 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,253 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Just 2 years ago the future was supposed guys like Lemieux, Armia, Zadorov, Compher, Petersen, etc...

It's pointless to try and forecast a lineup more than one year in advance.

It's a message board. Everything we do on here is useless 

#568 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

I think the Sabres are actually 2-4 in Conference Finals (1975, 1980, 1998, 1999, 2006, 2007).

That article doesn't include Mittelstadt, Kane, Baptiste, and Davidsson. Here are my top 12 forwards in a few years:

Mittelstadt - Eichel - Nylander

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

Asplund - O'Reilly - Baptiste

Davidsson - Girgensons - Bailey

That looks incredibly strong to me. Possibly the best in the entire league if all 12 reach their talent projections? Or am I being a homer?

You're being a homer. :) Realistically, six of those players (all wings) aren't NHL players yet. I like Mittelstadt, Nylander to make it. I'd guess one of the remaining four make it. If two of the four do, that beats the odds.

Edited by MattPie, 21 July 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#569 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

:censored: .... :unsure: .... :cry:

#570 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Not saying our defence doesn't need better players in the NHL or more prospects in the pipeline. It does.
I am saying that our desperation for d is a bit overstated when you look at the demographic of our NHL roster:
Risto and McCabe are 23 and should be in our top four for a long time.
Antipin and Beaulieu are 24 and could become middle-pair guys.
Scandella and Bogosian are 27 and under contract for a while.
That's a young defence with a lot of questions, but also some upside. They definitely can skate.
Time will tell if they are overmatched, but they should buy Botterill some time.
And they could actually develop into something decent.
With Guhle coming, if one of Antipin, Beaulieu or Bogosian develops/rebounds and we grab a D high next year, we could look a lot better fairly quickly.

Please, no! Playoffs next year!

You're being a homer. :) Realistically, six of those players (all wings) aren't NHL players yet. I like Mittelstadt, Nylander to make it. I'd guess one of the remaining four make it. If two of the four do, that beats the odds.

The odds increase though when you start adding guys like Pu and Fasching to the list. Only a few have to pan out.

#571 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

The hockeynews has now weighed in on Dudacek's idea.

http://www.thehockey...-in-three-years

Their lineup
Smith Eichel Nylander
Pu ROR Okposo
Larsson Reinhart Bailey
Girgensons Asplund Fasching

Scandella Risto
Guhle Beaulieu
McCabe Bogo

Ullmark
Johansson

Problems: No Mittelstadt, Larsson on the wing, Johansson as the backup, and Asplund as a 4th line center

More likely
Mittelstadt Eichel Okposo
Nylander ROR Reinhart
Smith Asplund Bailey
Girgensons Larsson Fasching

Edited by GASabresFan, 21 July 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#572 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

:censored: .... :unsure: .... :cry:

Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.

Edited by IKnowPhysics, 21 July 2017 - 04:09 PM.

#573 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

These ppl are dumb if they think a 20yr old Mittelstadt isn't on the team.

#574 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

These ppl are dumb if they think a 20yr old Mittelstadt isn't on the team.

... But CJ Smith is. :blink:

He may turn into a nice depth player but it's just plain lazy to include him on any Sabres roster moving forward.

#575 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

... But CJ Smith is. :blink:

He may turn into a nice depth player but it's just plain lazy to include him on any Sabres roster moving forward.

Yea exactly. I mean wtf?

#576 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Interesting look at the future.
http://www.thehockey...-in-three-years
I would add Mittlestadt to the list

The hockeynews has now weighed in on Dudacek's idea.http://www.thehockey...-in-three-years
Their lineup

:P

#577 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Please, no! Playoffs next year!

By high I meant with our first pick- likely around 31.

#578 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Do we only own our first next year?

#579 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

wikipedia says that the only Buffalo pick that has moved is the 3rd to Minnesota for their 4th. So an extra 4th, no 3rd.

#580 FuhrFury

FuhrFury

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

I absolutely hate analyses like that.  I'll never understand the point of looking at something without factoring in trades and free agents.  I know that's impossible to project, but it is a huge part of any team building process.  Find me one team who hasn't added a single player from another NHL team over a 3 year period.  Good luck with that search.  I don't understand the logic behind putting something together based on a set of rules that immediately invalidate it.

Analyses like this are useful in the sense that they provide a quick assessment of the current strengths and weaknesses of a franchise. No one seriously believes such a list will remain static for 3 years, that every player will develop as projected, that no trades will be made, that no new players will be drafted, or that free agency won't alter the position landscape.

For those who aren't already very familiar with the Sabres organization, after this analysis it should now be apparent that the franchise is incredibly strong at center, lacking in RHD depth, missing elite talent at LHD, okay at goalie, and maybe a bit deficient at wing if a couple of the centers don't slide over there.

I am a broken record here, but in my opinion, JBot's main objective and main difficulty now is to identify a top-50 NHL defenseman to pair with Risto in time for our EXPECTED deep playoff run in 3 years. He doesn't need to be a Norris Trophy winner; we just need to hang with offensive powerhouse teams like Toronto and Edmonton. And I'm not confident that this player is currently on the roster or that he can easily be obtained through free agency or future draft picks. Trades may be our best bet. Fortunately for us, we see that we have a surplus of quality forwards to move. Seven of our forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo, Nylander, Mittelstadt) have top-line (top-100 NHL forward) projections.

#581 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

Analyses like this are useful in the sense that they provide a quick assessment of the current strengths and weaknesses of a franchise. No one seriously believes such a list will remain static for 3 years, that every player will develop as projected, that no trades will be made, that no new players will be drafted, or that free agency won't alter the position landscape.

For those who aren't already very familiar with the Sabres organization, after this analysis it should now be apparent that the franchise is incredibly strong at center, lacking in RHD depth, missing elite talent at LHD, okay at goalie, and maybe a bit deficient at wing if a couple of the centers don't slide over there.

I am a broken record here, but in my opinion, JBot's main objective and main difficulty now is to identify a top-50 NHL defenseman to pair with Risto in time for our EXPECTED deep playoff run in 3 years. He doesn't need to be a Norris Trophy winner; we just need to hang with offensive powerhouse teams like Toronto and Edmonton. And I'm not confident that this player is currently on the roster or that he can easily be obtained through free agency or future draft picks. Trades may be our best bet. Fortunately for us, we see that we have a surplus of quality forwards to move. Seven of our forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo, Nylander, Mittelstadt) have top-line (top-100 NHL forward) projections.

So basically you are saying Sabres are going Edmonton's previous route or suckitude... heavy at forward till Sabres hit the right combo, then trade a few of those assets to shore up the D.... sounds about right... hopefully...

#582 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

By high I meant with our first pick- likely around 31.

Good call.

#583 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

I'm taking my daughter back to college tomorrow.  I'll won't be able to select until tomorrow night.

#584 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

^Hope you don't mind me bringing this over to the thread I think you meant it for, dude.

#585 GASabresFan

GASabresFan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

Thanks

#586 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

^Hope you don't mind me bringing this over to the thread I think you meant it for, dude.

Maybe he was planning to take a Sabre prospect with his next pick and he was skimming this thread as part of his due-diligence?

#587 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Maybe he was planning to take a Sabre prospect with his next pick and he was skimming this thread as part of his due-diligence?

Mayhaps...

#588 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

Nylander lookin' good

https://twitter.com/...880937768656897

#589 Derrico

Derrico

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

That guys shot and skill level is through the friggen roof.  He will never be a guy grinding in the corners or stellar defensively but if he gets big enough to play strong on the puck look out. Riding shotgun with Eichel I could see those two putting up a ton of points.

#590 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

Nylander lookin' good

https://twitter.com/...880937768656897

Is that really him? His legs are still pipe cleaners but dudes upper body is yoked.

#591 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

Photoshop, looking at the shadows around his neck and left arm... dont match..
Can even see if you zoom in the smoothing job, not very good imo on the so called t-shirt shadow on left arm...

Edited by North Buffalo, 26 July 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#592 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Is that really him? His legs are still pipe cleaners but dudes upper body is yoked.

That's him. Picture is from the Swedish Open tennis tournament. He was there with his brother and some friends. Some other pics of him look exactly the same.

#593 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

Well, he sure looks substantial enough to play in the NHL. 

Nylander stepping up and developing into a productive top-6 winger in the next couple of years would certainly help rehabilitate XGMTM's legacy.

#594 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,632 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

William had the same thing happen when he began training with his dad like Alex did this summer.

#595 Thorny

Thorny

Supreme Mugwump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

Well, he sure looks substantial enough to play in the NHL. 

Nylander stepping up and developing into a productive top-6 winger in the next couple of years would certainly help rehabilitate XGMTM's legacy.

GMTM's tenure here will be seen in a more favourable light the more time passes, I suspect. Inability to ice a competitive team, losing the locker room, standing by DDB, these things certainly hurt him in the moment and will remain to do so for those that remember, but if the Sabres have success going forward, it's going to be primarily with the core he assembled.

He will be remembered as the guy who assembled the group of Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Nylander, and Guhle. If Kane and Lehner work out here long term? His legacy will be looked upon even more favourably by those that remember him as the one who acquired all those players.

William had the same thing happen when he began training with his dad like Alex did this summer.

So he's right on track, then.

#596 pi2000

pi2000

The Church of Mouls... er Matthews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

The whole size/strength thing is overrated IMO.  

Every prospect interviewed at dev camp spoke of getting bigger and stronger over the summer, when they should focus mostly on endurance and speed of movement.

Strength will come naturally as they age.    Getting too big too fast only slows you down and you lose some muscle memory and coordination in the process.

#597 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

Agreed speed is important, strength is important if that means some size ok but strength more important. Endurance comes from playing at speed.