7 replies to this topic

#1 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

Off and on for years I've gone on coughing fits. It wasn't often, then in recent years it became once or twice a winter for a couple of weeks, then it started happening last summer and returned this winter. It can be violent. I have hernias to show for it. When I'm in the throes, I cough after eating, when talking and after getting out of the shower.

I finally broke down and went to the ENT doc, who did allergy testing. I am mildly allergic to a number of things, but the worst ones turned out to be ragweed and mold. Mold makes sense because my basement is damp, and I cough more in the winter when the house is closed up. Then I noticed something on the shower wall this morning. It's a fine white powder. Is this mold?

I clean the shower wall with Comet. This seems like residue from that. But — and not to be gross here — but I'm a bachelor who is not a neat freak and if I clean the shower walls four times a year, that's a good year. (Relax, like you're ever going to take a shower in my house. Jesus.) So I would assume the Comet left over from the cleanings should be gone after, oh, 90 showers.

Thoughts?

#2 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

I would buy a dehumidifyer for the basement.  As to the shower, wipe the walls and see if it comes back?  I guess I don't have anything more than the obvious.

#3 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

I would buy a dehumidifyer for the basement.  As to the shower, wipe the walls and see if it comes back?  I guess I don't have anything more than the obvious.

Thanks. I got some Tilex and sprayed the crap out of it and scrubbed the wall with a sponge. When it dried, the white stuff was still there! I finally got it off using a Clorox wipe. I have no idea what it is. It's fine and powdery, so I don't think it's mold.

#4 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Mold is not white, my good fellow.

Mold is black as coal and does not come off easily, at least stains remain.

EDIT TO ADD:

Praise be to Allah ... you changed your avatar!!

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 15 May 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#5 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

We bought an abandoned house, and my experience with mold is you get a small cough, almost like a chuckle, which doesn't mean your cough isn't related to mold, it's just very unlike mine and my mother's.

#6 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thanks. I got some Tilex and sprayed the crap out of it and scrubbed the wall with a sponge. When it dried, the white stuff was still there! I finally got it off using a Clorox wipe. I have no idea what it is. It's fine and powdery, so I don't think it's mold.

Does your shower have tile walls? It could be haze from the grout. That's fine and powdery. And it can be buffed off with cheesecloth.

#7 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

Fine white sounds like one of hard water or soap scum. Around here, we get some black mold and some red mold if we don't keep up on cleaning.

#8 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

Yep Tilex and scubbing reg is good or soft scrub squirted on walls reg and rinsed 10 min later once the initial cleaning is done... clorox can cause cough too