7 replies to this topic

#1 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,262 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

So, this morning I thought there was a small bug on my monitor, and in typical fashion I went to kill it and wipe it off. Funny thing, it wouldn't clean off. As it turns out, the bug was actually inside my monitor--it's small, looks like about 2 dead pixels side-by-side, but it's right in the middle of my screen and it will drive me absolutely insane given the amount of work I do with a white background. I suppose my only real option is to either take it apart myself and try to clean it, or take it somewhere. I'm not real keen on option A since it's a $600 monitor and I'd hate to break it for the sake of a 2 dead pixel smudge, but I would be willing to pay a place to do it. Does anyone have any recommendations of a place in the Buffalo area I could at least call to inquire if they can help out? Thanks.

#2 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Attached File  17469712408705232714.jpg   10.93KB   0 downloads

#3 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,775 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Fix My PC in Ra-cha-cha is a locally owned & operated franchise of a chain. They've always done good work at a reasonable price. If Buffalo has one, they'd be worth giving a call for a quote if the compressed air doesn't work. (That stated, the Ra-cha-cha one being good at hardware repairs won't necessarily mean the one in your neck of the woods is competent, if there in fact is one.)

#4 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • 20,132 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

Spray your monitor with raid or some other bug spray.  That or maybe you could rewire it so that it would work as a bug zapper.  This is, of course, after you use a razor blade to cut the dead bug out of your screen.

#5 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,282 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

PA strokes his evil pencil mustache. It worked, it worked! bwahahahaha

#6 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

I'm interested to know how this goes, please report back. My initial thought was the panel on most screens is sealed but that may not be true. In any case, I found this and it's apparently it's not impossible.

#7 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • 24,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

Victory is mine! And by mine, I mean the guy I paid to take care of it. As it turns out, a friend knew somebody who had done this sort of thing before. Cost me $60. One thing the guy ended up telling me though is success depends on the monitor itself and exactly where the bug was--if the bug in actually on the LEDs the acidic blood can fry them and you're screwed even after a cleaning. And some monitors don't even have access to where the bug can get to.

Bottom line: don't squash the bug, just let it die then it should be easy to get to drop down to the bezel out of sight. But if you do squash it, there is hope!

#8 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

Preventative maintenance:

frogs.jpg