Photo

Username Origin

Best Answer IKnowPhysics , 09 August 2015 - 12:51 AM

The year was 1997 and among the high school varisty bowling team, pinball was hot.

Physics was a class taken by juniors, if you were taking Physics AP wayy ahead of schedule, or taken by seniors, if you were taking Regents Physics because you were wayy average.  The varsity football players that weren't good at basketball used bowling as an excuse for a winter sport, mostly to avoid wrestling.  A great many derps took physics as seniors.

After bowling practice, a fellow freshman friend of mine, with a heart full of wayward ambition, threw a few quarters into the blinking table that featured that conniving bitch of a silver ball.  He faced many challenges.  He successfully rocked most, and, due to our impending death-by-boredom waiting for out parents to pick us up from bowling practice, he had gathered a crowd of spectators.

He successfully played the table for a while longer than imaginable, but the table soon turned, and he began a streak of unconscionable defeats at the hand of the mildly lethargic right flipper.

Frustrated and testosterone-induced, a senior football player and regents physics taker became irreversibly fed up with the downward trend in the freshman's metal ball handling.  In one large shove, he displaced my friend from the table to commandeer the battle of balls.  He shouted, not as an excuse or admonishment, but as a proud declaration of righteous, indignant dominance over the blinking table "I.  KNOW.  PHYSICS."

The remainder of the table is not noteworthy.  What remained to my inspired and impressionable freshman consciousness, and really, my career-to-date, was that you could achieve anything you wanted, in any manner, with the proclamation of knowing physics.  Therefore, I wield my username (which is not new for this board) like a cognitive bulldozer, regardless of its applicability to the discussion at hand.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,172 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

We have a pretty sweet thread started by Shrader on potential board alter egos, so I got to thinking, where do your usernames come from? So, this thread is meant to share the inspiration behind your username; there are plenty on here I've been curious about for a long time.

My own: I'm a huge Always Sunny fan. WildCard is a play off an episode from the show, and happens to fit sports terminology pretty well. 

Anyone else?

#2 IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:51 AM   Best Answer

The year was 1997 and among the high school varisty bowling team, pinball was hot.

Physics was a class taken by juniors, if you were taking Physics AP wayy ahead of schedule, or taken by seniors, if you were taking Regents Physics because you were wayy average.  The varsity football players that weren't good at basketball used bowling as an excuse for a winter sport, mostly to avoid wrestling.  A great many derps took physics as seniors.

After bowling practice, a fellow freshman friend of mine, with a heart full of wayward ambition, threw a few quarters into the blinking table that featured that conniving bitch of a silver ball.  He faced many challenges.  He successfully rocked most, and, due to our impending death-by-boredom waiting for out parents to pick us up from bowling practice, he had gathered a crowd of spectators.

He successfully played the table for a while longer than imaginable, but the table soon turned, and he began a streak of unconscionable defeats at the hand of the mildly lethargic right flipper.

Frustrated and testosterone-induced, a senior football player and regents physics taker became irreversibly fed up with the downward trend in the freshman's metal ball handling.  In one large shove, he displaced my friend from the table to commandeer the battle of balls.  He shouted, not as an excuse or admonishment, but as a proud declaration of righteous, indignant dominance over the blinking table "I.  KNOW.  PHYSICS."

The remainder of the table is not noteworthy.  What remained to my inspired and impressionable freshman consciousness, and really, my career-to-date, was that you could achieve anything you wanted, in any manner, with the proclamation of knowing physics.  Therefore, I wield my username (which is not new for this board) like a cognitive bulldozer, regardless of its applicability to the discussion at hand.

Edited by Munchma Quchi, 09 August 2015 - 12:53 AM.

#3 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,172 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

That's an awesome story IKP  :lol:

#4 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

No big secret, or fantastic story, here.

#5 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

:lol: IKP, that's fantastic.

I think we had a thread like this a long while back, but my username isn't particularly clever or difficult to figure out; I was a Bio major in college, and my friend calls me Dork as a term of endearment.

Edited by biodork, 09 August 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#6 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

Hi Dork,

:wub:

#7 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

I inherited this account from a now deceased poster (may he rest in peace). That man was a stranger to me, but avid admirer of the Sabres 13th permanent captain. It was a gusty, warm, and rainy Wednesday in April when I came across the man, clearly in trouble, in a parking lot on the East Side of Rochester. The man could scarcely breath, I would later come to learn that he had passed from a broken heart. His last request was that his Sabrespace account continue on in his wake. Quickly scrawling out the login information with a pebble on the asphalt, he left me, a stranger, responsible for his legacy. 

Later that evening, the Orioles would tie up the Rays in the top of the 9th in an early season game from the Trop on a nice double from Brian Roberts. Tommy Hunter's career decline would begin in the later half of that inning, as he surrendered the season's first walk of home run.

It was an incredibly emotional time. The Tank had officially begun. I had barely time to think. I felt trapped, trapped in a Glass Case of Emotion.

Later, with the help of some close friends I had gained here on the board, my prison cell would morph to what you all have grown to know and love. I thank you all for enabling me.

#8 Sabres79

Sabres79

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

I deliberately set out to put as little thought as I could into my username. I went all 1996 and thought of an old AIM screen name I had in college. Because originality was not an option either. Several years and something like one post every 3 months or so here we are, for all of you dying to know. Heh.

#9 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

I am Jiri Dudacek, and all the unrequited hopes and dreams of Sabrefans that he embodies.

#10 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,351 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:48 PM

Mine's pretty obvious, first syllable of my last name.

I thought of this when earlier today when reading the PKane thread: once upon a time, my friend's girlfriend looked at me and said, "MattPie, you're a very attractive man." That's literal, as at that time and place my nickname was MattPie (the only tenuous link to this thread). There wasn't anything odd about it, she was just like that. I took the complement and thanked her. Some months later, we were sitting and watching TV and a Jim Croce compilation came on. Laura pipes up, "That Jim Croce, he's a very attractive man.". Suddenly that complement held less weight.

Tenuous link two: I drive past the cemetery where Jim Croce is buried on my way to work.

#11 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

My first AIM screen name (that I came up with when I was ~6) was CoolGuyBestGuy.

Turns out too much self awareness can be a bad thing.

#12 shrader

shrader

Enduring tortures most of which rhyme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,873 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

I am as unoriginal as is humanly possible.  If in the rare case my name is taken and I have to add a number to it, I say "screw that" and refuse to sign up for that site.  I do think the username looks better with a lowercase s though, so maybe I do get some style points there.

#13 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

I am as unoriginal as is humanly possible.  If in the rare case my name is taken and I have to add a number to it, I say "screw that" and refuse to sign up for that site.  I do think the username looks better with a lowercase s though, so maybe I do get some style points there.

Good man.

#14 tom webster

tom webster

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

I love some of these stories and wish I had one. When I first joined the board I used Brian Spencer as an inspiration and like a lot of new posters came in guns a blazing engaging in some spirited battles with the veterans of the board, especially Deluca. When I finally proved my worth and became an elder, I figured a name change was due and chose Tom Webster because he reminds me of my youth when I was always pretty sure I was the smartest guy in most any room. Webster was always my go to trivia question when the Sabres were the subject and I was sure I was the only one who knew his connection to their history.

Couple of side notes, it was Deluca who found the picture I use and I recently found out that while Webster was the Sabres first pick in the expansion draft picked specifically to be traded to Detroit for Roger Crozier, he wasn't actually the first Sabre because Punch had found a loop hole in the expansion rues and had actually claimed a few players before the expansion draft. I apologize to the many people who lost either money or drinks to me over said trivia question.

#15 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,873 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

If anyone ever asks me who the first Sabre was, I'll just go with Seymour.

#16 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

My first AIM screen name (that I came up with when I was ~6) was CoolGuyBestGuy.

Turns out too much self awareness can be a bad thing.

Sorry qwk (immerman), you lost me here. I don't get how that explains qwk, or your immerman now. Honestly, yours was one of the ones I always wondered about.

It's common in my major to have connected words SpelledOutLikeThis, it's easier to read, so it's just habit for me.

Same with immerman though, I still am confused on the origin of shrader. 

#17 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:32 PM

They're our names, you hoser.

EDIT: I mean I'm a merman.

Edited by immerman, 10 August 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#18 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

Dr Nicholas Kidman of clan Irish first of his name

#19 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:40 PM

Hi, Doctor Nic!

#20 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

I live in the swamps of New Jersey (at the time I joined, both figuratively and literally).

I play defense. At least, I did when I joined. Been playing, forward the past couple of seasons so maybe I should change my name to SwampF.

#21 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,873 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

Same with immerman though, I still am confused on the origin of shrader. 

Last name.  See, boring.

#22 cdexchange

cdexchange

www.DiscsForDogs.org

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

Dr Nicholas Kidman of clan Irish first of his name

I always thought your username was an abbreviation of "drunk Irish one".  Mind blown.

Edited by cdexchange, 11 August 2015 - 12:55 PM.

#23 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,351 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

I always thought your username was an abbreviation of "drunk Irish one".  Mind blown.

Somehow I got it in my head that it's Dunkirk is Home.

#24 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

Me too. Guess he blew us both. Well, um...

#25 3putt

3putt

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

In my tribe it was custom that Chief would enter the birthing lodge when the time came for a new member to arrive.  After the blessed event the Chief would step out of the lodge and the first thing he saw would inspire the name of the new arrival like my sister Running Doe.  When I came into the world the Chief stepped out of the lodge which now bordered the 8th green at the recently renovated Turning Stone resort course #2 and saw two wise guys from New Jersey smacking the ball back and forth across the green in black socks, sandals and oversized bowling shirts.  I became 3putt.....Naw, I just can't putt.   :(

#26 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

The sarcasm in here is spectacular

#27 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,172 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

Thought the same thing. Probably gonna keep thinking it too  :lol:

#28 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hi Dork,

Sorry qwk (immerman), you lost me here. I don't get how that explains qwk, or your immerman now. Honestly, yours was one of the ones I always wondered about.

Ahh, that's who immerman is/was! I saw the post count and knew it was a regular, but with the change in both name and avatar I didn't know who (and was too lazy to check).

Edited by biodork, 12 August 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#29 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

My avatar is an artistic rendering of Logan Couture.

#30 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

Uuummm?

When I see that you made a new post it shows a little merman photo, but when I click to read the post your avatar is still the old bald dude with the grey / white small beard.

#31 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

Hot Daniel is Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

Uuummm?

When I see that you made a new post it shows a little merman photo, but when I click to read the post your avatar is still the old bald dude with the grey / white small beard.

My avatar changes depending on how guilty the viewer is.  What have you been up to, NS?

#32 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:48 PM

My avatar changes depending on how guilty the viewer is.  What have you been up to, NS?

Nothing too terrible, but I am in line for the 100,000 paper cuts and waiting to be spritzed with the lemon juice.

#33 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,873 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

To me it looks like the merman version of Lion-O from Thunder Cats.

#34 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 28,745 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Length times diameter plus weight over girth divided by angle of the tip squared.

#35 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

Length times diameter plus weight over girth divided by angle of the tip squared.

TMI
http://www.urbandict...sted Penis Size

#36 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • 28,745 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:23 PM

Someone got the joke ;)

#37 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

Someone got the joke ;)

A female and a red head to boot.  No kidding.

#38 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Lol would've been better if I'd been able to edit to have TMI be hyperlinked instead of the giveaway standalone link (darn mobile browsers). ;)

#39 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 21,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

A female and a red head to boot.  No kidding.

:( 

:P

#40 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,708 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

My username history is:  Doohickie, which is my go-to username for message forums.  For some reason I changed it to Neuvirths Glove during the dark days, and went with a Russian variant during the Soviet Era.  With Neuvirth's departure I decided to jump on the Lehner bandwagon early.  In a rather weak play on words, I adopted the handle Robins Egg, as a reference to hopefully many goose eggs Robin Lehner will put up.  I'm not sure I like the name and am thinking of changing it.  I just don't know what to change it to.  At this point I might as well leave it and see if Lehner puts up a lot of Robins eggs on Sabres opponents.