345 replies to this topic

#81 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:30 AM

I haven't been in that Field and Stream store yet.  I should make a point of it.  I work fairly near by.

It's really really really nice. Their bait and tackle section was mind bending. 

#82 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

It's really really really nice. Their bait and tackle section was mind bending.

If you're fishing ponds, you might consider getting some offset hooks and some bullet weights (Texas rig). The jig heads and Mr. Twisters are good for bigger more open water with no seaweed, but for smaller water with lots of plants, it's nice to have a weedless setup. And depending on how big the pond is, the Senko worms with that light line, you might not even need the bullet weight to get the bait where you want it.

#83 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

If you're fishing ponds, you might consider getting some offset hooks and some bullet weights (Texas rig). The jig heads and Mr. Twisters are good for bigger more open water with no seaweed, but for smaller water with lots of plants, it's nice to have a weedless setup. And depending on how big the pond is, the Senko worms with that light line, you might not even need the bullet weight to get the bait where you want it.

I don't plan to fish ponds too much. I hate catching sunfish all day long. Little f*ckers. 

But I'll keep that in mind if I find myself planning to hit some smaller ponds. 

#84 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

I don't plan to fish ponds too much. I hate catching sunfish all day long. Little f*ckers. 

You'll catch some nice bass in small ponds. And a black Mr. Twister on a setup like weave pictured is like crack to them. That or a top water popper On a small pond is some really fun fishing.

#85 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

You'll catch some nice bass in small ponds. And a black Mr. Twister on a setup like weave pictured is like crack to them. That or a top water popper On a small pond is some really fun fishing.

I don't think our little pond has any bass, but you never know. There's plenty of food for them. I've never seen anyone pull anything good out of it. 

#86 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

The worms and hooks Swamp referred to are too big for you to catch sunfish with.  Those are bass catchers.  Most stocked ponds have bass to control the sunfish population.

Senko-Texas-Style.jpg

The proper hooks for them look like this:

picasso-pro-x-hook-001.jpg

Another example:

texasrigwhite.jpg

#87 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

The worms and hooks Swamp referred to are too big for you to catch sunfish with.  Those are bass catchers.  Most stocked ponds have bass to control the sunfish population.

Senko-Texas-Style.jpg

The proper hooks for them look like this:

picasso-pro-x-hook-001.jpg

Another example:

texasrigwhite.jpg

I can tell you one thing. There is no shortage of Yamamoto bait at Field and Stream  :lol:

#88 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

PS: You don't just cast them out and reel them in.  You cast them to a weed edge, or structure, let them sink, and twitch your rod tip to "walk" them in.  Try to not have much slack in your line.  Alot of times you'll know the fish has taken the bait because the line will suddenly twitch or move.  Lift the rod quickly and set the hook.  They will drop the bait quickly once they realize it isn't food.

#89 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

PS: You don't just cast them out and reel them in.  You cast them to a weed edge, or structure, let them sink, and twitch your rod tip to "walk" them in.  Try to not have much slack in your line.  Alot of times you'll know the fish has taken the bait because the line will suddenly twitch or move.  Lift the rod quickly and set the hook.  They will drop the bait quickly once they realize it isn't food.

:thumbsup:

#90 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

I can tell you one thing. There is no shortage of Yamamoto bait at Field and Stream  :lol:

That stuff works.  Ponds, lakes, rivers.  Bass magnets, they are.

#91 pastajoe

pastajoe

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

I once caught a Sunfish at summer camp using a bamboo pole and a piece of bread. Huck Finn old school style.

#92 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,486 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:31 PM

That stuff works.  Ponds, lakes, rivers.  Bass magnets, they are.

I had a fishing guide in the 1000 Islands introduce me to the Senko about four years ago. Weave you are absolutely right both the Smallies and Largemouths love them.

#93 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Got the spinning rod and reel combo I wanted at Gander Mountain today. Shakespeare is doing these fish specific setups and they've got one for trout which will make a nice lightweight counterpart to my heavier and clunkier spincast. 7' Ultra-light action. Put 4lb Trilene XL on it. This setup is probably staying in Rochester while the spincast spends its time going back and forth to Buffalo in my car.  

#94 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

Another note about using plastics. If your worm gets beat up and you want to get a new one, don't throw the old one in the water. Put it in your pocket and throw it out when you get home. Even though they say they are biodegradable, they are not biodegradable in the lifespan of a fish. They can't digest them and they end up dying because they can't put actual food in their stomachs.

Plastics in the bellies of fish is becoming a real issue.

#95 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Another note about using plastics. If your worm gets beat up and you want to get a new one, don't throw the old one in the water. Put it in your pocket and throw it out when you get home. Even though they say they are biodegradable, they are not biodegradable in the lifespan of a fish. They can't digest them and they end up dying because they can't put actual food in their stomachs.

Plastics in the bellies of fish is becoming a real issue.

Absolutely. I don't really like using fake worms. I want to use spinners more than anything but the fake worms are a necessary evil if you can't get live bait every time you go out.

It's why I always used hot dogs :blush:

#96 I am Defecting

I am Defecting

Most Goals in Season

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

My son...

He's 2-3/4.  When he saw the little fishing pole, designed for youngsters, he knew it was for him.

FLASHBACK:  I had planned on going fishing with him anyway, and we enjoyed looking for worms together, because turning over rocks is fun.  Like a new planet, every turn.  He had a little hand digger that he'd scrape beneath each rock.  Every worm we found, we were excited.  Tell you what, I even got excited about slugs and grubs, but the slugs aren't worth the pickin'.

When he saw that pole, he was into fishing.  Grandparents, you should stock the old short pole in your fishing arsenal, because it hooks 2-3 year olds, big time.  You see, to him, there's a baby rod, a mommy rod, and a daddy rod.

He spent a lot of time just practicing casting with a bare bobber.   :wub:

He'd cast the thing over the porch rail and pretend to catch everything under the sun.

I caught a beautiful butterfly!  (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill)

I caught a spider! (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill​)

The ironic thing is, that the Sunfish are absolutely the best eating.  Their only good for two upper back filets (see Youtube, of course), but they are about the best tasting fish you can eat.  

Bass are more fun to reel in, and bigger, but they aren't worth the cleaning and cooking.

#97 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

How much difference is there between a sunfish, rock bass, and a bluegill  ?

#98 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

How much difference is there between a sunfish, rock bass, and a bluegill  ?

Sunfish is a generic name to the family of fish that include bluegills and rock bass..  A rock bass is more closely related to small and large mouth bass than bluegills.

Decent chart here:  http://fishandboat.c...sunfishtree.pdf

and more info:  http://www.dec.ny.go...imals/7022.html

#99 3putt

3putt

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

My son...

He's 2-3/4.  When he saw the little fishing pole, designed for youngsters, he knew it was for him.

FLASHBACK:  I had planned on going fishing with him anyway, and we enjoyed looking for worms together, because turning over rocks is fun.  Like a new planet, every turn.  He had a little hand digger that he'd scrape beneath each rock.  Every worm we found, we were excited.  Tell you what, I even got excited about slugs and grubs, but the slugs aren't worth the pickin'.

When he saw that pole, he was into fishing.  Grandparents, you should stock the old short pole in your fishing arsenal, because it hooks 2-3 year olds, big time.  You see, to him, there's a baby rod, a mommy rod, and a daddy rod.

He spent a lot of time just practicing casting with a bare bobber.   :wub:

He'd cast the thing over the porch rail and pretend to catch everything under the sun.

I caught a beautiful butterfly!  (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill)

I caught a spider! (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill​)

The ironic thing is, that the Sunfish are absolutely the best eating.  Their only good for two upper back filets (see Youtube, of course), but they are about the best tasting fish you can eat.  

Bass are more fun to reel in, and bigger, but they aren't worth the cleaning and cooking.

+1, well said on all counts. 

#100 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Sunfish is a generic name to the family of fish that include bluegills and rock bass..  A rock bass is more closely related to small and large mouth bass than bluegills.

Decent chart here:  http://fishandboat.c...sunfishtree.pdf

and more info:  http://www.dec.ny.go...imals/7022.html

Thank you for that.

I guess the pumpkinseed was what I always called a *sunfish* and always threw back, but rock bass a bluegill where *keepers*.

Now I know they are all keepers.

#101 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

Thank you for that.

I guess the pumpkinseed was what I always called a *sunfish* and always threw back, but rock bass a bluegill where *keepers*.

Now I know they are all keepers.

In my experience, pumpkinseeds and bluegills are better eating than rock bass.  But I don't keep smallmouth bass for eating either. Like Yuri says, the fillets are small, backstraps only, really.  But they are mild tasting. 

#102 I am Defecting

I am Defecting

Most Goals in Season

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hey, SabreSpace Rod and Gun Club?

What is the scoop on .22 ammo?  I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up.  Should I buy another .22?  Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance?  I really just want something for plinking and rabbits.  I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting.  My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo.  Your thoughts would be appreciated. 

#103 That Aud Smell

That Aud Smell

That Nostalgic Olfactory Blend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

In my experience, pumpkinseeds and bluegills are better eating than rock bass.

Agree wholeheartedly. I've never considered eating rock bass. Must be the red eyes. I do keep and enjoy smallmouth, though.

#104 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

What is the scoop on .22 ammo?  I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up.  Should I buy another .22?  Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance?  I really just want something for plinking and rabbits.  I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting.  My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo.  Your thoughts would be appreciated. 

Buy it!!!

It's an easy enough call, even saying this I know I never thought I would walk into Wal-Mart for 3 years and never even see a box of 22's. Still the cheapest fun for the money though. A good 22 and scope are good for a life time. I have my Dad's that he used on his Uncles' farm in Batavia. I think he spent 20 some dollars for it in the 50's ( no scope).  60 years from now you'll hope your man hood is still as functional and fun as your 22 and the 400 bucks will be chump change as it will take 10 times that to buy a replacement 22.

Heck, you're already regretting the lose of the Ruger! 

#105 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

What is the scoop on .22 ammo? I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up. Should I buy another .22? Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance? I really just want something for plinking and rabbits. I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting. My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

https://www.henryrif...ction-22-rifle/

Dooooo itttttt

#106 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

What is the scoop on .22 ammo? I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up. Should I buy another .22? Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance? I really just want something for plinking and rabbits. I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting. My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

.22 pft! I have a hard enough time finding 9mm. Look into ordering it online when you can find it. Of course, I live in a hot bed of shooters. I think 75% of Northeast Pennsylvania holds a CC licence, and they actively buy up all the freaking ammo around here!

Whenever I find .22 ammo I buy it all up for my father. It's a real pain in the butt.

#107 I am Defecting

I am Defecting

Most Goals in Season

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:32 PM

I miss my Ruger. I was a good shot.
I don't think online ammo is permitted in NYS.

#108 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

You have a Henry?

Been wanting one in the worst way, not even sure why.

Browning, Ruger, Wichester, CZ, Mossberg, Savage. So many to choose from, and I am very partial to Browning, but that Henry just hits a spot in my Christmas Story, Red Rider BB gun heart of I gotta have.

#109 I am Defecting

I am Defecting

Most Goals in Season

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

So that Henry holds 15 in the magazine. Is that legal? I do want it.

I bought 5 round mags for my Ruger after the Safe Act, and at the start of all this .22 ammo madness.
But a 15 round mag is legal if you only load 5 at a time?

I ckecked the wiki. .22 caliber tubular magazines are exempt from the safe act. You da man, d4rksabre.

#110 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

I miss my Ruger. I was a good shot.
I don't think online ammo is permitted in NYS.

Ahh, duh. Nope you can't buy ammo online in NYS. I forgot that 2015 Pennsylvania gun laws rival only that of 1860's Tombstone, AZ.

You're going to have a very hard time finding ammo in NYS. I had to call the ATF to ask if it was legal for me to transport 200 rounds across state lines. (it is)

#111 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:11 AM

You have a Henry?

Been wanting one in the worst way, not even sure why.

Browning, Ruger, Wichester, CZ, Mossberg, Savage. So many to choose from, and I am very partial to Browning, but that Henry just hits a spot in my Christmas Story, Red Rider BB gun heart of I gotta have.

I wish I had a Henry!

So that Henry holds 15 in the magazine. Is that legal? I do want it.

I bought 5 round mags for my Ruger after the Safe Act, and at the start of all this .22 ammo madness.
But a 15 round mag is legal if you only load 5 at a time?

I ckecked the wiki. .22 caliber tubular magazines are exempt from the safe act. You da man, d4rksabre.

:thumbsup:

#112 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:57 AM

.22 ammo is still scarce in NY.  I'm not sure if it is because of the Safe Act or if hoarders are still scooping it up.  The rest of the country seems to have gotten past the scarce period and the manufacturers claim they are back to normal production now.  Hard to find may be the new normal for NY.

#113 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

.22 ammo is still scarce in NY.  I'm not sure if it is because of the Safe Act or if hoarders are still scooping it up.  The rest of the country seems to have gotten past the scarce period and the manufacturers claim they are back to normal production now.  Hard to find may be the new normal for NY.

I had no idea this was an issue. What is the cause? 

#114 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

I get my .22 ammo at pro gun in Victor. I get the high velocity rounds and they are always in stock.

#115 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

Ahh, duh. Nope you can't buy ammo online in NYS. I forgot that 2015 Pennsylvania gun laws rival only that of 1860's Tombstone, AZ.

You're going to have a very hard time finding ammo in NYS. I had to call the ATF to ask if it was legal for me to transport 200 rounds across state lines. (it is)

Same as our booze laws, from the 1860's.

We have to be the only state were liquor costs more than NY. No internet sales and no transporting.

#116 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

I had no idea this was an issue. What is the cause? 

Initially (starting 8 years ago, gee what happened then?) there was a great deal of hording nation wide in response to a fear of gun and ammo legislation.  Manufacturers couldn't keep up.  The Safe Act made it worse in NY because it locked us out of internet sales in NY.  I don't know what is keeping NY stocks of .22lr down right now.  My guess is, with no ability to  buy on the internet/mail order, shops still can't keep up with demand.  But that is just a guess on my part.  All I know is, I haven't seen CCI Mini-mags in over 5 years, and that is my go-to for small game hunting.  In my county right now the only brand I find in stock is a Mexican brand, Aguila.  That's it.

#117 I am Defecting

I am Defecting

Most Goals in Season

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

Another cool thing about that Henry is that it accepts 3 different sizes of .22 ammo.

However, .22 ammo is like crack to shooters. Folks wait outside Walmart for the truck to arrive, hands shaking, teeth chattering, that is, if they still have their teeth. They will do anything to get their fix. They start with a box, and are soon onto bricks. Before you know it, they are buying out a stores' entire inventory.

My prescious.

#118 Woods-Racer

Woods-Racer

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

Midway USA's web site will sell to internet sellable states for 22's starting at $.07 per round up to $.26 per round.

The most popular is Norma USA TAC 10 boxes of 50 rounds per box for $65.00(~$.13 per round). Limit 1 order per customer(500 rounds).

That's hours of fun for a couple Saturdays for 65 bucks.

http://www.midwayusa...=ProductFinding

#119 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 32,078 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

Catch of the day

goNiuUR.jpeg

:wallbash:

#120 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,999 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

It's a keeper!    :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic, Fishing, Hunting, Animals are made of food