380 replies to this topic

#361 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

Sunrise this morning on Chautauqua Lake. Lots of panfish this morning, but mostly small. Was out before sunrise with a heavy fog on the lake. Watched the sun come up and the fog lift.

This is my paradise. If heaven isn't exaclty like this I don't care to go.

Attached Files

#362 SabresFanInRochester

SabresFanInRochester

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

Sunrise this morning on Chautauqua Lake. Lots of panfish this morning, but mostly small. Was out before sunrise with a heavy fog on the lake. Watched the sun come up and the fog lift.

This is my paradise. If heaven isn't exaclty like this I don't care to go.

That's quite beautiful!

I have been getting my out-of-shape ass out of bed early the past few weeks and walking some trails behind my house. I witness the sunrise most of the time, and those mornings really help me get the day going the right way. In awe of such beauty! I don't have the benefit of Chautauqua Lake, but some of the foggy mornings, and conditions have been spectacular.

#363 SabresFanInRochester

SabresFanInRochester

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

I noticed a lot of fishing posts have been to the West of me -- I am in the Rochester, NY area -- but I did see some mention of fishing on Lake Ontario. I thought I would share a story and ask a question...

I bought a property that had a pond on it about 7 years ago -- the pond is about 200' x 85'. The owner told me it was a spring-fed pond and really touted its beauty. At that time, the dock was beginning to fall apart, and I had intentions of fixing the dock and stocking the pond.

Before I did anything, a friend of mine went fishing at the pond and told me it sucked -- no fish, and the water wasn't even 1' deep. I was crushed. I lost all interest in doing anything with my pond that had evolved into a swamp.

Fast forward to this past summer -- a friend said his family was "out" in our pond. I asked if they were wading or what they were doing and he thought I was crazy. He said swimming... flips off the dock... they couldn't even touch in the middle and estimated the pond to be at least 10' or 12' deep! Unfortunately, the dock is now a skeleton, but I am inspired to change that. My family is into hiking/camping/fishing, so I am going to build a lean-to overlooking the pond with pines from the property. I have a full coverage of watermeal, as the water is pretty stagnant so I need to get an aerator.

I am now motivated to stock the pond; or maybe not. We invited a family back to fish last weekend and the first cast brought in a 12" largemouth bass. Nothing to hang on the wall, but how exciting to think one struck that quickly. The rest of that day was okay. I just went out again with my son last night -- 5 worms and 5 sunfish. It was basically cast and real it in. (We didn't have the right gear to cast away from the shore and I think if we can get into the middle and deeper, we might encounter the bass.

This is a long post, but I would love to hear from some of my Rochester fisherman: Where can I take my kids to fish without needing a boat. I would love for them to have a great experience with trout and salmon. This might not be the season, but I would love to put it on the calendar and have them do the same. I am VERY novice, and love our pond, but I know my son is looking for the big fish. Thanks for reading!

#364 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Depending on time of year, any of the piers on Lake Ontario offer good fishing opportunities.

This time of year is perfect for catching trout and salmon from the piers but the crowds on the piers right now are large.

Send me a PM. I can get you enough info to get you started, but I'm on vaca right now and it will be a burden to type it all out from my phone. I'll answer when I'm home and can use my laptop.

#365 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

I noticed a lot of fishing posts have been to the West of me -- I am in the Rochester, NY area -- but I did see some mention of fishing on Lake Ontario. I thought I would share a story and ask a question...

I bought a property that had a pond on it about 7 years ago -- the pond is about 200' x 85'. The owner told me it was a spring-fed pond and really touted its beauty. At that time, the dock was beginning to fall apart, and I had intentions of fixing the dock and stocking the pond.

Before I did anything, a friend of mine went fishing at the pond and told me it sucked -- no fish, and the water wasn't even 1' deep. I was crushed. I lost all interest in doing anything with my pond that had evolved into a swamp.

Fast forward to this past summer -- a friend said his family was "out" in our pond. I asked if they were wading or what they were doing and he thought I was crazy. He said swimming... flips off the dock... they couldn't even touch in the middle and estimated the pond to be at least 10' or 12' deep! Unfortunately, the dock is now a skeleton, but I am inspired to change that. My family is into hiking/camping/fishing, so I am going to build a lean-to overlooking the pond with pines from the property. I have a full coverage of watermeal, as the water is pretty stagnant so I need to get an aerator.

I am now motivated to stock the pond; or maybe not. We invited a family back to fish last weekend and the first cast brought in a 12" largemouth bass. Nothing to hang on the wall, but how exciting to think one struck that quickly. The rest of that day was okay. I just went out again with my son last night -- 5 worms and 5 sunfish. It was basically cast and real it in. (We didn't have the right gear to cast away from the shore and I think if we can get into the middle and deeper, we might encounter the bass.

This is a long post, but I would love to hear from some of my Rochester fisherman: Where can I take my kids to fish without needing a boat. I would love for them to have a great experience with trout and salmon. This might not be the season, but I would love to put it on the calendar and have them do the same. I am VERY novice, and love our pond, but I know my son is looking for the big fish. Thanks for reading!

By the sound of it, your pond is already stocked. A pond that size can't really support bass much bigger than you are already catching, except for the one, maybe two, Big Daddy basses that will be in there. One or two grass carp can help keep vegetation down but can be kinda creepy if you are using it to swim, as well.

Black Mr. Twisters are like crack to those bass (I think they think they are dragon flies when they land) and top water poppers are a blast when it's calm.

And what's wrong with a swamp, they can be beautiful, too. :blush:

#366 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

Last morning here in paradise. Fishing was a washout yesterday. High winds kept most everyone off the lake, and this morning it is 34 degrees with a heavy fog. I didnt pack for 34 degrees......

Headed back home in a couple hours. We talked about maybe 3 or 4 four day weekends here next year. We love this lake.

#367 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hsif and I got out on Lake Erie yesterday to fish for perch. We didn't clobber them, but we did pretty well. First hour of the day was pretty fast action, with alot of of the big, chunky perch that Lake Erie is famous for. Then the action quickly died off and we had to move around to find small, scattered pods that were roaming. These fish were mostly smaller, and we threw back about as many as we kept.

Most surprising to me was a fairly large rock bass that got caught in about 60' of water. Didn't think they ever went that deep. It was the largest rock bass I've ever seen.

The lake was rolling a bit at dawn, but settled down to dime flat in the aftenoon. And it was a gorgeous day. Nevermind gorgeous for October.

We left the harbor at 6:45 and pulled in around 3:45. Full day on the water.

Didn't finish cleaning fish until almost 10pm last night.

Our view leaving harbor as dawn was starting to break....

Attached Files

#368 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:58 AM

We got into some diver action on Friday while out looking for some northern mallards.

The Buffleheads were in color.

The marsh will be frozen in a week or so if the forecast is right.

Attached Files

Edited by Ducky, 29 October 2017 - 01:59 AM.

#369 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:19 AM

mallard stew

Attached Files

#370 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,563 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

mallard stew

I see mushrooms, onions, 'maters, 'taters?, celery?, What else? What kind of broth? Looks good.

Edit, obviously Mallard is in there.

Edited by ubkev, 29 October 2017 - 05:32 AM.

#371 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

I see mushrooms, onions, 'maters, 'taters?, celery?, What else? What kind of broth? Looks good.

Edit, obviously Mallard is in there.

Hy's seasoning, beef broth, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 kinds of tomatoes, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms and mallard.

Forgot the corn.

Strong winds tomorrow so we probably won't go back out until Tuesday.

#372 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

We went back on Tuesday after the winds let up and the marsh was frozen...busted through ice for about 1 1/2 miles to get to our "pothole" to discover it was frozen right across.

#373 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Spent a little time on the water with Hsif on this cold, windy day. Action was slow, but we did land this beauty of a steelhead.

Hsif had a nice fish on as well, but the guy working the net was a bit slow on the switch and we lost that one.

Attached Files

#374 Ducky

Ducky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Nice fish

Do you keep them for the dinner table?

People have been ice fishing here for well over a week now.

#375 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Nice fish
Do you keep them for the dinner table?
People have been ice fishing here for well over a week now.

I seldom keep steelhead unless they get hurt. No particular reason why. They are decent eating. Not great, but decent. This one got to swim away after the pic.

Some years the slower moving creeks are starting to freeze over about now, but it has been a relatively warm Fall and there is warmer weather coming this week, so I dont think the streams are going to ice up for a few weeks at least.

#376 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

Bought a fishing kayak today.

She's a beast. 12' 6" long, 38" beam, Tri hull, 96lbs unloaded.  The deck on it is wide, and flat, like a mini aircraft carrier.  It is basically a shrunken, one man bass boat.

Super stable.  Stable enough to fish standing up!  Because I'm not loading 100lbs of fishing kayak on the roof rack of my Jeep, I've got a trailer for it as well.  The trailer is a jet ski trailer that I am modifying to fit the kayak.

Also ordered a sonar unit with GPS.  This thing is going to be a fishing machine.  Leaning heavily towards putting an electric trolling motor on it as well so I can troll in the lakes with it.

I'll have the winter to rig it out the way I want.  Rod holders, anchor trolley, maybe a stand up rack, mount the sonar/GPS/battery on a removable pod, need to fabricate something to secure a small cooler as well.  I'll need to wire it for lights if I am going to be on the water before dawn or after dusk as well.

#377 hsif

hsif

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Attached File  BlackYote.jpg   283.32KB   0 downloads

Black coyote from NYD............. 0F...... Fricken cold!

#378 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Very cool.  was the pup the lead dog in the chase?

#379 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Has there always been no bag limit on Coyotes?

#380 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:26 AM

Has there always been no bag limit on Coyotes?

i would guess they are classified as nuisance so fairly free on hunting limits

#381 hsif

hsif

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

Very cool.  was the pup the lead dog in the chase?

Porter was not in on this chase......... just the pics! 

As for bag limits.... I've been calling/running them for a little over 20 years, and there has never been a bag limit. When I started hunting them, the understanding of their population was developing and the  NYS DEC required a pelt tag when you harvested one. That has not been necessary for probably 15 years now, as they are literally everywhere. I have a picture from 2 weeks ago of a coyote running between the houses in a Greece NY neighborhood. Hide your cats......... but there are legal seasons. In some states they are "open year round".........

Edited by hsif, 04 January 2018 - 07:53 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic, Fishing, Hunting, Animals are made of food