9 replies to this topic

#1 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Short version of the story is, my router is at least 8 yrs old.  I'm on DSL right now so the router isn't really my hold up.  But, I'm going fiber optic as soon as the installers get out here.  Supposedly 100 Mbps download.  I KNOW that old, busted router ain't keepin up with that kind of speed.  And if I'm paying for 100 Mbps, I might as well get what I can out of it, right?

So, it's not a money is no object thing.  I'm just looking for a good product that won't unduly hold me back.  What does the sabrespace braintrust have?

#2 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

How computer-literate are you? I have a great wifi router but it's a bit of a chore to set up (spoken as an IT pro) compared to the consumer stuff. The wifi signal is fantastic anywhere in the house and outside in the yard. And it's been remarkably stable compared to the last router I had (a cheap D-link 601 with aftermarket firmware. The cons are that it's a little difficult to set up and it's on 2.4GHz and not 5GHz so if you're in an apartment setting or city the bands might be congested.

http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD

#3 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

I can get by with the help of the google machine but I'm no computer wizz.

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,949 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

You've probably already gotten something but I got one of these about a year ago

Belkin N600

2089307_ra.jpg

It works fine and had the easiest setup I've have encountered.  The default option was in a secure mode with passwords required and it had passwords already established and printed on a little card that slips into the base of it.  So basically just plug and play.  When computers see it they prompt for the password and you just type the one from the card in.  Done.

#5 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

I have the same router as NG. Have not had any issues, and with all the streaming devices and internet companies that a running in my house, it definitely gets a good workout.

#6 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

Haven't gotten anything yet.  Still waiting in queue to get all my megabits.  I'll def have to keep that last one in mind.

#7 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,044 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

Doesn't your ISP provide the router? I've got U-Verse and they bring their own in. In fact the just had to upgrade mine for the new 75Mbps package they started offering.

#8 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

Doesn't your ISP provide the router? I've got U-Verse and they bring their own in. In fact the just had to upgrade mine for the new 75Mbps package they started offering.

You just have to watch out for that with certain companies. Optimum uses the wireless routers they provide to not only give you your wifi, but also provide a hotspot to the rest of the world. So if you are in a more populated area, your internet tube could be clogged up by a bunch of freeloaders.

#9 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,044 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

You just have to watch out for that with certain companies. Optimum uses the wireless routers they provide to not only give you your wifi, but also provide a hotspot to the rest of the world. So if you are in a more populated area, your internet tube could be clogged up by a bunch of freeloaders.

I've noticed that, I can pull up a couple of my neighbors wifis. I've got mine secured, some of them don't.....not very smart of them.

#10 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

This ended up solving itself.  We got our fiber optic installed last week and the provider supplied a new router.  And that ###### is locked down.

Now it will be time to research internet Sabres games viewing options.