270 replies to this topic

#41 TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED

#fancystats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,111 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

If you're a stats prof, then you're the devil.

Haha. I haven't taught stats yet, but when I do, I doubt I'll have them write a paper unless it's a graduate class. But if I do assign undergrads a paper, yes, I will penalize for grammar.

#42 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,044 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

That's actually an accepted usage now. Don't be so literal; it's hyperbole for effect. (At least some) people know that it's not true to the standard meaning of literally but choose to use it anyway as a figure of speech.

The fact that it's acceptable to alter the meaning of a word because people are too lazy to use it correctly is in itself, unacceptable. It's one thing to create new words as our language progresses, or even alter its meaning. However, making the usage of a word acceptable when used as the exact opposite of what it actually means, is lazy and unacceptable.

#43 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,949 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

Bah. That's the way language works. But you don't have to like it.

#44 LTS

LTS

Why I Love Hockey.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think what you and these people below are discussing is a different issue than what I'm referring to. I'll see if I can find an example. http://www.englishfo.../hxnqr/post.htm

Grrr...

Sports announcers saying Baldimore rather than Baltimore. Come on!

So, there's actually a good reason they could be saying Baldimore. When speaking into a microphone it is generally a good idea to try and avoid the hard consonant sounds. It tends to create a pop in the sound that is displeasing to the ear. You know it when people say "P" words.

I have lots of things that bother me but I know I am not perfect. When typing I will sometimes mistype "it's" simply because I think my autonomic system is typing without any input from the brain. Of course that's not true, but it feels that way.

My most annoying mispronunciation?

jewlery. I hate it. I hate it even more when the spokesperson for a Jewlery store says jewlery. It drives me absolutely nuts.

There are others, but I try and be tolerant these days.

#45 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

That's a valid dialect. I believe it comes from Scotland if I recall correctly; it is a literal translation from the dialect some Scots use into English. Considering English is conglomeration of many languages, this infusion isn't any worse than countless other contributions from other languages.

That's interesting. It's still one more reason for me to hate fans of the Steelers and Penguins.

Edited by SwampD, 21 December 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#46 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

The fact that it's acceptable to alter the meaning of a word because people are too lazy to use it correctly is in itself, unacceptable. It's one thing to create new words as our language progresses, or even alter its meaning. However, making the usage of a word acceptable when used as the exact opposite of what it actually means, is lazy and unacceptable.

Yep. Intellectually lazy.

#47 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,964 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

So, there's actually a good reason they could be saying Baldimore. When speaking into a microphone it is generally a good idea to try and avoid the hard consonant sounds. It tends to create a pop in the sound that is displeasing to the ear. You know it when people say "P" words.

I have lots of things that bother me but I know I am not perfect. When typing I will sometimes mistype "it's" simply because I think my autonomic system is typing without any input from the brain. Of course that's not true, but it feels that way.

My most annoying mispronunciation?

jewlery. I hate it. I hate it even more when the spokesperson for a Jewlery store says jewlery. It drives me absolutely nuts.

There are others, but I try and be tolerant these days.

There is mispronunciation jewelry and there is calling is jery. That is the type of pronouciation I was getting at with my OP. Dialetecs, regionalisms, evolution of language, I get but I'm talking about missing letters, syllables and changing how we speak.

#48 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

There is mispronunciation jewelry and there is calling is jery. That is the type of pronouciation I was getting at with my OP. Dialetecs, regionalisms, evolution of language, I get but I'm talking about missing letters, syllables and changing how we speak.

Ebonics?

#49 Campy

Campy

Man created language to satisfy his deep need to complain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

I think what you and these people below are discussing is a different issue than what I'm referring to. I'll see if I can find an example. http://www.englishfo.../hxnqr/post.htm

Grrr...

Sports announcers saying Baldimore rather than Baltimore. Come on!

Assuming the correct pronunciation of a place is how its inhabitants pronounce it, Baldimore is correct. Same with New Awlins (Orleans).

Also, the irony of the misspellings in posts about grammar is killing me. Grammer? Sirname? :doh:

Back to ink's original post, the ###### corporate-speak is equally annoying. Circle back, reach out, synergy, opportunities (as opposed to sales leads). positioning (as opposed to presenting), etc. It's bad enough working with a bunch of lemmings incapable of independent thought, but having to listen to them, too? fml.

Edited by Campy, 21 December 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#50 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,964 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Ebonics?

Can that include white people?

#51 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

I find it amusing how people ask for things to remain the same.

In point of fact, all languages go through changes, some faster than others.

Change is inevitable, in any and all aspects of the human experience, including but not limited to language.

#52 Campy

Campy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

That's a valid dialect. I believe it comes from Scotland if I recall correctly; it is a literal translation from the dialect some Scots use into English. Considering English is conglomeration of many languages, this infusion isn't any worse than countless other contributions from other languages.

I don't know what that sentence means. Are you saying that Scots do not speak English? :huh:

#53 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

Can that include white people?

It already has. Generations X, Y, Z and next gener's are already using it to some extent or another. Integration of cultures procures that to be a done deal.

#54 Campy

Campy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

It already has. Generations X, Y, Z and next gener's are already using it to some extent or another. Integration of cultures procures that to be a done deal.

I feel you.

#55 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

I feel you.

I see what you did there.

#56 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,843 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

resign/re-sign
than/then

What's with Southern tier/Pennsylvania folk that omit the words "to be" in sentences? The lawn need's mowed. Their D needs improved.

That's just weird.

THIS. Drives me insane! It's so bad here it even turns up in print newsletters. "Needs washing" might be okay, and "needs to be washed" is fine, but "needs washed"... WTF?

#57 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

I find it amusing how people ask for things to remain the same.

In point of fact, all languages go through changes, some faster than others.

Change is inevitable, in any and all aspects of the human experience, including but not limited to language.

I get, and understand, change. My language has changed over time. What I don't accept is incorrect usage, ie. using literally in error, or switching "of" for "have". Those aren't examples of a changing language. They are examples of erroneous use of language.

I have literally had it up to here with should of. :P

#58 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Damn that tower in Babel and all the people of plains of Shinar.

#59 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

It's a silly one, but when someone asks "Hey! How are you?", and the person replies, "Oh, I'm doing good." WELL. YOU'RE DOING WELL. ARGH.

I'm guilty of my fair share of saying things weird, as d4rk can tell you (root, roof, route, diamond, iron...), but I try to either avoid those words or say them "correctly". I cannot abide misspellings, though. I usually turn them into some kind of pun battle if I see a friend screw up heinously on the book faces.

Definitely quite annoyed at myself for becoming seemingly dyslexic/writing in ways that do not make the best sense. I have been texting and coddled by auto correct for so long now that my once pristine MLA style of writing sans contractions is hopelessly muddled. Dammit, I used to win writing competitions! I doubt I could pen a worthy research paper now!
I have to dumb down a lot of my words at work when messaging clients. My art director and boss will check stuff I've written and warn me that it sounds too presumptuous. Art people. Grump.

#60 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

I get, and understand, change. My language has changed over time. What I don't accept is incorrect usage, ie. using literally in error, or switching "of" for "have". Those aren't examples of a changing language. They are examples of erroneous use of language.

I have literally had it up to here with should of. :P

LOL, ok, ok, point taken. However, I must point out to you, the only reason you deem those examples erroneous usage as opposed to change is telling in itself. Those are changes. You cannot in good faith not include grammatical changes, phrase changes, in fact, all points of change, including punctuation.

Hey, it's all a big ###### sandwich and everyone has to take a bite :P

#61 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

LOL, ok, ok, point taken. However, I must point out to you, the only reason you deem those examples erroneous usage as opposed to change is telling in itself. Those are changes. You cannot in good faith not include grammatical changes, phrase changes, in fact, all points of change, including punctuation.

Hey, it's all a big ###### sandwich and everyone has to take a bite :P

I blame contractions. Although, in their defense, the correct usage is right there in the spelling of them. Would've may sound a good bit like would of, but come on! it's right there in the spelling of the contraction for cryin' out loud.

As long as the correct spelling for the contraction continues to be would've, there is no damned good excuse short of intellectual laziness for spelling it out as would of.

What surprises me most is, the great majority of the folks on sites like this one are college educated. How in the hell did you manage to get through college without getting corrected?

#62 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have to dumb down a lot of my words at work when messaging clients. My art director and boss will check stuff I've written and warn me that it sounds too presumptuous....

The recent American Pastime of degrading education and intelligence as elitist and out of touch has doomed you. I have a great time watching some of my bosses and co-workers type out e-mails. They often take minutes to correctly type out just a few middle school level sentences.

#63 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

The recent American Pastime of degrading education and intelligence as elitist and out of touch has doomed you. I have a great time watching some of my bosses and co-workers type out e-mails. They often take minutes to correctly type out just a few middle school level sentences.

This forum is going to be a mess when we all die.

#64 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

This forum is going to be a mess when we all die.

At least one of us is probably a Highlander.

#65 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Hand of the King

• Members
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

At least one of us is probably a Highlander.

:lol:

#66 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

We cannot forget the egregiously overused and often unnecessary duo of like and you know.

#67 JJFIVEOH

JJFIVEOH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,044 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

This is an epic thread.

#68 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

This is an epic thread.

Literally.

#69 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

This is an epic thread.

Better. Then. Most.

#70 inkman

inkman

Fledgling Member of TSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,964 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Better. Then. Most.

:)

#71 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Better. Then. Most.

:lol:

#72 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Better. Then. Most.

:clapping:

#73 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,508 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Assuming the correct pronunciation of a place is how its inhabitants pronounce it, Baldimore is correct. Same with New Awlins (Orleans).

Also, the irony of the misspellings in posts about grammar is killing me. Grammer? Sirname? :doh:

Back to ink's original post, the ###### corporate-speak is equally annoying. Circle back, reach out, synergy, opportunities (as opposed to sales leads). positioning (as opposed to presenting), etc. It's bad enough working with a bunch of lemmings incapable of independent thought, but having to listen to them, too? fml.

Arrrgggghhhh.

It's not New Awlins, it's N'orlins; and the N' is its own separate syllable and the 'or' is veeerry soft -almost as soft as the 'aw' you used. No one in Cajun country would fully pronounce 'new.'

Sorry, hearing (or reading ;)) people screw up that is truly one of my pet peeves.

#74 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Here's another beauty...ad nauseum. Hello, it's ad nauseam

#75 Doohickie

Doohickie

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,949 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

I don't know what that sentence means. Are you saying that Scots do not speak English? :huh:

Yes. That's what I am saying.

#76 LastPommerFan

LastPommerFan

Sip it, you heathen.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Awesome dialect quiz:http://www.nytimes.c...t-quiz-map.html

#77 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I blame contractions. Although, in their defense, the correct usage is right there in the spelling of them. Would've may sound a good bit like would of, but come on! it's right there in the spelling of the contraction for cryin' out loud.

As long as the correct spelling for the contraction continues to be would've, there is no damned good excuse short of intellectual laziness for spelling it out as would of.

What surprises me most is, the great majority of the folks on sites like this one are college educated. How in the hell did you manage to get through college without getting corrected?

HAHAHA, there in lay my secret. I am not college educated. I'm a blue collar guy that built a business. And believe me, I have a couple of employees that are putting HALL as Haul :)
So I'm at the top end of my language food chain lol. In all seriousness though, I'm an old school guy, older than many on here I'm sure. Plus, I did very well grade average wise throughout my educational years ;)

#78 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Awesome dialect quiz:http://www.nytimes.c...t-quiz-map.html

Amazing! The darkest red on my map is right where I live.

#79 Guest_Sloth_*

Guest_Sloth_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Amazing! The darkest red on my map is right where I live.

The darker red on my map is not even close to where I live. It had me in Nebraska. My Dad was in the Air Force, so I moved around a lot growing up. Enjoyed being raised across the country. An experience I'm thankful to have.

#80 Tondas

Tondas

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

My favorite, "I seen..."