#41 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

The Kings had top 5 picks in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Bruins in 2006 & 2010

Bruins top 5 pick in 2010 was Torontos pick that they got for Kessel and have shipped away to Dallas because they weren't thrilled with him

As for the Kings, the #4 in the 2007 Draft hasn't played in the NHL, and the #5 pick in the 2009 Draft was traded with others to Philly in the offseason before they won the Cup.

i would really say that those teams took the 'suck for years to get top 5 picks' approaches to win their cups

#42 We've

We've

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm dead serious. I bet they could pull it off.

I don't doubt you were serious. i was trying to get someone to chill out and stop taking everything so damned personally.

#43 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

from the bottom to the top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

I don't doubt you were serious. i was trying to get someone to chill out and stop taking everything so damned personally.

I actually didn't take it personally. If he wants to block me he should. No use wasting 10 posts in a thread on it. ;)

#44 rakish

rakish

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Are there numbers that show you have a better chance of hitting on low-ranked players if they are coming from outside the Canadian junior leagues?

Teams are actually pretty good at comparing players between different leagues. The metric that I use is games played in relation to draft slot. The CHL (OHL,Q,WHL) for picks 91-292 come exactly to 0. USA picks for picks 91-292 are at -.1, which to me is almost meaningless. The Czechs, for all picks, score the highest at 1.7, the Russians the lowest, at -1.7

The Sabres decided about 2000 that drafting mostly Czechs would be a good plan. They have two or three Czech picks for a few years running. It isn't a strategy that works, these numbers aren't big enough to make the picking by analytics worth it.

#45 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Did anyone figure out what the matter is with Hanada yet?

Blue. Bruuuuuuue.

Edited by Andrew Amerk, 16 July 2013 - 09:54 PM.