2 replies to this topic

#1 Marvelo

Marvelo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

Congrats to the Shero family for the long-overdue honor. Old-timers might remember Fred guiding the AHL Bisons to Buffalo's last major league sports championship in 1969-70. I remember going to a few games at the Aud in that championship year when I was 9. I always wondered what might have happened if the Sabres in their fledgling years picked up Shero to see what he could do. Well we found out in '74-75 in the finals vs. the Flyers. RIP Fred with the honor you did us and hockey in general.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...fred-shero.html

#2 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Jack Eichel Construction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Interesting what-if. Imlach apparently wanted full control of things in Buffalo, so he was GM and coach. In the Sabres' second season, Shero's first in Philly, Imlach had a heart attack and Joe Crozier took over behind the bench. Another what-if is what if Crozier had hung around instead of leaving after 73-74 when there was some kind of conflict with Punch. Joe had done a great job with a young team in 72-73, then the team slid back in 73-74.

The decision to then hire the Sabres former captain, Floyd Smith, with no NHL experience, is pretty suspect in retrospect. Can't argue with 74-75 other than losing to Shero in the finals, but after that the team drifted with two very good regular seasons and two playoff disappointments.

One other note, from Budd Bailey's history of the Sabres: When the Knoxes thought they were going to be able to buy the Oakland Seals and move them to Buffalo, Bill Torrey was GM of the Seals.

#3 Marvelo

Marvelo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

"I believe (This game) is going to be the highlight of my life"...