Photo

Prediction time: Will Darcy get canned? Will Miller and/or Vanek be traded?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: What's gonna happen? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

We all know what we want to have happen. But what is actually going to happen? Will DR get canned?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If DR is NOT canned, will Miller be traded this summer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If DR is NOT canned, will Vanek be traded this summer?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

The Red Wings have kept their GM, Holland almost as long as 17 Year Regier... however, they've also been in the playoffs every one of those years and won the cup 3 times in that span.

I look at these stats and it makes me so angry that the franchise is run so ineptly, it's so typical for anything in Buffalo, and Pegula has a big wallet and no clue he's getting conned by "The Hockey Genius" Regier sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

And they've had a rich, stable, owner for just about 30 years now.

Since the playing field got leveled in '05 they have been (slowly) regressing towards the mean. Not terribly surprising that in the year that they lose Lidstrom, they come closest to missing the dance.

#82 Nitro60

Nitro60

"In case of doubt, attack." General Patton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

I get the feeling Darcy will move up in the organization and a new GM will be brought in. Miller is gone. He does not want to go thru a rebuilding process. Vanek should be kept. He is a unique talent. He has to be lined up with 2 guys who are more physical than him.

#83 Briere48

Briere48

Blood and Guts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Goal scorers like TV dont grow on trees. Plus, no one on the team can score. Got to keep him. Miller can go.

Between the next two drafts, and Grigorenko and Armia, they better have some legit goal scorers coming up, or our rebuilding will take much longer then anyone could imagine. Vanek is going to be 30 next season. When will our rebuilding come to an end? At the very earliest, the following year, but more realistically, the season after (Grigos and Armia's 2nd full season in NHL), when Vanek will be 33. Will he be as lethal goal scorer then as he is now? Doubtful. As a power forward, all the abuse he takes, you have to wonder about his durability. Heck, he's not even healthy now. Each season he's hurt and by age 33 that will only get much worse. Wear and tear on a power forward is like a RB in football.

He's my favorite player but if they can get some assets for him for the future, you do it. And, since he's peaking right now as many have already said, it'd be silly for the Sabres to sit on him and wait. Trade him to a playoff team, let him enjoy some postseason success, and fight for the Cup, and let us rebuild the right way. More prospects and picks our way, and and more room for our own players to have space and develop as leaders.

#84 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Between the next two drafts, and Grigorenko and Armia, they better have some legit goal scorers coming up, or our rebuilding will take much longer then anyone could imagine. Vanek is going to be 30 next season. When will our rebuilding come to an end? At the very earliest, the following year, but more realistically, the season after (Grigos and Armia's 2nd full season in NHL), when Vanek will be 33. Will he be as lethal goal scorer then as he is now? Doubtful. As a power forward, all the abuse he takes, you have to wonder about his durability. Heck, he's not even healthy now. Each season he's hurt and by age 33 that will only get much worse. Wear and tear on a power forward is like a RB in football.

He's my favorite player but if they can get some assets for him for the future, you do it. And, since he's peaking right now as many have already said, it'd be silly for the Sabres to sit on him and wait. Trade him to a playoff team, let him enjoy some postseason success, and fight for the Cup, and let us rebuild the right way. More prospects and picks our way, and and more room for our own players to have space and develop as leaders.

Take a look at the list of players over 34 in the nhl. Something surprising may pop out at you, statistically speaking. Take a look at Vaneks injury record as compared to other LW in the nhl, or wingers in general. How does he stack up? He is not a true power forward imo. Life span is getting longer in the nhl, just as it is in most sports. A team will sign him to five + and he will put up at a minmum 20+maybe 25+ over that period. The style of the game he plays and the rule changes will permit that to happen. Just another opinion. A big enforcer and a coach that knows how to use one (present and last coach excluded) will go a long way in extending longevity too

In the final analysis, ask yourself what happens to the numbers pt up by Cody,etc.. without Vanek on the line or the ice. Priority one should be finding another 25+ goal scorer for them to play with and for other teams to key on.

Edited by waldo, 25 April 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#85 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Darcy stays Miller and Vanek force their own departure by not resigning. The smart move would have been to resign them both last year... But the Sabres never seem to think that far ahead .

I thought the 2005 CBA (and maybe the 2013 one) didn't allow contract renewals until the player is RFA (1 year before UFA). Can someone help me out here?

#86 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

I thought the 2005 CBA (and maybe the 2013 one) didn't allow contract renewals until the player is RFA (1 year before UFA). Can someone help me out here?

You can't re-sign someone until after July 1st before their final year.

#87 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

You can't re-sign someone until after July 1st before their final year.

And for players on 1 year deals, they can't be re-signed until after January 1st of that season.

#88 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

@pham1717
Miller: "I’ve enjoyed my time here so far and I don’t know which way it’s going to go so I’m not going to talk like I’m gone.”

#89 waldo

waldo

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I phrased it poorly sorry .. of course you are right.." they should have sent the signal they wanted to resign them.. Which according to Danny and Chris they never did..There is lots of sub rosa messaging hapening between management and agents.. The sabres seem to play their cards really close to their vests. That makes people jumpy

Edited by waldo, 25 April 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#90 cnytom

cnytom

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

The Toronto Maple Leafs use to be the laughing stock of the division, in fact, I recall being told before the start of the season, they would be lucky to win a few games. People thought so highly of the GM who brought the team together, that they fired him and he works as a scout out west. We should be so lucky. Even to a long time fan, I rooted for the Buffalo Bisons and not the baseball team either, then the Sabres, in fact it is my dream that the Commisioner makes Brett Hull stand with one foot in the crease, as he presents the Stanley Cup to Buffalo and carried on NBC interrupting their prime time shows. Never going to happen with Darcy there. Vanek has scored 20 goals this year and is good, but notice one thing, when he is in the line up, everybody goes to him and scoring drops off, take him out and several players score. Miller, face it, he wants to be out west with his wife and who can blame him. He has given many a stellar performance for Buffalo. He has one year left, we trade and get something or he finishes and walks, while Buffalo gets nothing. We fans think of it as a sport, owners a business and the players as a source of income. The fans pay their money but get very little say.

#91 Armydoogie

Armydoogie

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

No, no, yes.

#92 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

I heard Vanek on the WGR pregame with Paul Hamilton say he'd be up for being Captain of a retooled Sabres team to show the way for the younger players.

Contract Extension anyone? I vote yes.

#93 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

I heard Vanek on the WGR pregame with Paul Hamilton say he'd be up for being Captain of a retooled Sabres team to show the way for the younger players.

Absolutely you extend Vanek. He's only 30 years old for god's sake. There is no reason to trade Thomas Vanek, the guy is a warrior straight out.

Miller on the other hand, his replacements are already in the system developing and a season or 2 of retooling the front lines and defense afford Buffalo the opportunity to see what Hacket/Leggio/Enroth/Marakov? have in them development wise.

If Miller is moved at the draft, either for fresh picks or as a package to move up in the 1st round, or even in the off season after the draft for something, It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The rebuild is in full swing, youth is the way of the future led by a grizzled in the dirty area battler and sniper veteran Thomas Vanek.

I'm excited, very excited about the future of the club, my only concern is that Darcy Regier is still at the helm.

#94 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I would really lo ve to resign Vanek as captain of the Buffalo Sabres.

I think the organisation of the post game salute in Boston showed his class and that he is a worthy captain.

He can be our captain an maybe a potential retired jersey candidate but only here in Buffalo. Maybe he also will win a cup here, but he will get the chance to lead our franchise in a hopefully golden future.

#95 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Haven't we learned from Spain, Germany, and California? Never put Austrians in charge.

#96 LaLaLaFontaine

LaLaLaFontaine

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Haven't we learned from Spain, Germany, and California? Never put Austrians in charge.

Germany and California is clear.

Who do you think of regarding Spain?

#97 Eleven

Eleven

Drunk Trailer Park Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,011 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Germany and California is clear.

Who do you think of regarding Spain?

Habsburgs.

#98 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

Heart Means Everything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

On Saturday, with the Sabres back at First Niagara Center cleaning out their lockers, and having their exit meetings and physicals, Vanek addressed the possibility that it might be time to go. From the Buffalo News:

"Let's be honest," Vanek said. "I'm not stupid. I know I have a year left and they can probably deal me for prospects, young guys, whatever else is out there. Yeah, I've thought about it. If it looks like it's a long rebuild, then it probably makes sense for both parties to move on."